PDA

View Full Version : Cutters in Kamloops... Sportsman?

Kirby
10-23-2007, 03:08 PM
For the last several years I have been just cutting my own meat, this year I'm short on time, and trying to find a butcher to use.

Anybody got sportsmans number? or if they are full who have you used in the past, I use to use Kam lake but they no longer do wild game.

Kirby

GoatGuy
10-23-2007, 03:14 PM
How about, what'd you shoot first?

Post pics, tell story

and then somebody will put up a butchers name!

Will
10-23-2007, 03:23 PM
who have you used in the past, I use to use Kam lake but they no longer do wild game.
I've used Gary's Deli in Fortune mall.........decent work and quick:wink:

The guy out by the airport (name escapes me) is okay as well if you just want it cut:wink:

I actually do not like Sportsman's anymore..............

Kirby
10-23-2007, 03:34 PM
I've used Gary's Deli in Fortune mall.........decent work and quick:wink:

Thats the one I remember, used them before, I was thinking Mikes Deli for some reason... thanks.

Kirby

Derek_Erickson
10-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Interior Cut-rite out by the airport just take it there any time, up until midnight 7 days a week

3kills
10-23-2007, 04:14 PM
i have heard cutrite is good and i like sportsman head good things about garys deli...try the school also they are cheap and good....or u can go into summit gourmet meats talk to terry (tell him i sent ya kirby) in there and ask him if he is cuttin at home at all he was talkin about it last time i talked to him...

Sooke Hunter
10-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Used Interior Cut Rite 2 weeks ago.....did a great job.....55 cents/pound for deer.

dana
10-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Just got my goat CI done by Clint Gill, just off the old Merrit Highway. His butcher shop is something else. Wow! Definately busy. I was impressed.

krazy
10-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Clint is one of the owners of Sportsmans. We have been using them for many years for both cutting and sausage making. I highly recommend them. Because they are such a high quality outfit however they are always very busy but it is well worth the wait. Their phone number is 372-2305.

Had a bad experience with Gary's years ago when he gave us sausage made with somebody elses meat. When I told him that I did not think that was right he seemed more upset with us thinking that he should not mix peoples meat so he could make bigger batches and therefore save himself time and money than we were that he pulled that stunt on us! We have not been back.

A year ago when Clint was busy we took a trip out to cut rite and asked him if he mixes people meat when he makes sausage. He answered our question by asking us why we wanted to know? Never been back there either.

Maybe we're too picky but we spend alot of time taking the very best care of the game we take to be happy with anything but our own meat back.

Caveman
10-23-2007, 08:16 PM
One bad thing about sportsman is the time you have to wait for sausage. If you take it in in Sept you won't see it until Mar. That is unless Clint has changed something since he took over for Dave. The other was the wrapping method, just like you picked it up at the supermarket. That too may have changed but I haven't used them for a few years. Hard to beat the sausage if you don't mind the wait. Cut-Rites sausage never did anything for me when I had some processed there. But he did wrap the meat in plastic and freezer paper. We've been using one in Barriere the last few years. It's called the Meat House I believe. Well done and they do some sausage varieties. careful though make sure you go to the right one though because there is another one with a sign on the road that confuses some people. I often hear about the colleges program and have sampled the sausage but have no first hand experiences with them. The sausage was as good as I've had anywhere else.

1/2 slam
10-23-2007, 08:27 PM
I used cutrite a couple of years ago. No issues.

ARC
10-23-2007, 08:45 PM
I just took a bunch of meat into Gary's European Deli. The brats and pepperoni were awesome and it only took about a week.

3kills
10-23-2007, 11:49 PM
One bad thing about sportsman is the time you have to wait for sausage. If you take it in in Sept you won't see it until Mar. That is unless Clint has changed something since he took over for Dave. The other was the wrapping method, just like you picked it up at the supermarket. That too may have changed but I haven't used them for a few years. Hard to beat the sausage if you don't mind the wait. Cut-Rites sausage never did anything for me when I had some processed there. But he did wrap the meat in plastic and freezer paper. We've been using one in Barriere the last few years. It's called the Meat House I believe. Well done and they do some sausage varieties. careful though make sure you go to the right one though because there is another one with a sign on the road that confuses some people. I often hear about the colleges program and have sampled the sausage but have no first hand experiences with them. The sausage was as good as I've had anywhere else.

i beleive sportsman does there sausages later cuz they are so busy and its so much work to cut deer and do sausages at the same time plus it keeps them busy till spring bear starts...the collage does it the same way they dont start there sauseage program till later in the year...and when i was takin my course there they were chargin .35 cents a pound cut and wrapped...

Kirby
10-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Garys deli doesn't cut wild game(just does sausage), Sportsman is backed right up, I used cut-rite for my moose a couple of years ago and it came back with deer hair on it... won't go back.

Ended up just cutting it myself tonight, will take the trim in for burger later in the season once the shops slow down.

Kirby

krazy
10-24-2007, 06:39 AM
i beleive sportsman does there sausages later cuz they are so busy and its so much work to cut deer and do sausages at the same time plus it keeps them busy till spring bear starts...the collage does it the same way they dont start there sauseage program till later in the year...and when i was takin my course there they were chargin .35 cents a pound cut and wrapped...

They start their sausage after the cutting season because they are just too busy with all the demand at that time. Once that is done they start making sausage on a first in first out basis. Because they do not mix meat when making the sausage they do alot of smaller batches. Some other shops will just keep filling up their hopper with different peoples meat until it's full, make the sausage and then divy up the results. This is why they are so much faster than sportsman. I guess if you don't take very good care of your meat then you might benefit form this process but I for one do not like eating shrapnel or whatever other not so sanitary things that might have been in somebody elses game (talking from experience here)! I'd much rather wait a few months and know that what I'm getting is mine.

KevinB
10-24-2007, 07:20 AM
Hey Craig, if you want to come by and test out my new electric grinder you're welcome to...we just ground up 20 lbs of deer trimmings last night in no time. 2 people wrapping could barely keep up to me. I can't believe I didn't buy one of these things years ago...

Kirby
10-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Hey Craig, if you want to come by and test out my new electric grinder you're welcome to...we just ground up 20 lbs of deer trimmings last night in no time. 2 people wrapping could barely keep up to me. I can't believe I didn't buy one of these things years ago...

Kevin... you got a deal! I should proably splurge and buy one seeing as how I do all my own cutting now.

3kills
10-24-2007, 09:42 AM
kevin where did u buy urs from??? i sent my sister down last night to get me a hand crank one cuz thats all the walmart here has...and well its going back today..it didnt grind nothing....

Kirby
10-24-2007, 10:04 AM
kevin where did u buy urs from??? i sent my sister down last night to get me a hand crank one cuz thats all the walmart here has...and well its going back today..it didnt grind nothing....

Hand cranker with small electric motor and fan belt... electric cranker, just can't stuff it as fast. What I should probably buy and build, but time is short.

Kirby

3kills
10-24-2007, 04:24 PM
thats kinda what i was thiknin of doing but then i seen one through the save on more rewards program at work for 100 bucks so i think i m goign to get that one i just needed one quick last night and got the cheap hand crank but like i siad it went back today

KevinB
10-24-2007, 05:20 PM
3Kills, I picked it up at Costco in Kamloops a week or 2 ago, $150. You can find cheaper models, but it has a 450 watt motor, which is more powerful than most of the cheaper ones. Best thing is, if you don't like it you can return it no problem.

http://http://www.waringproducts.com/ret/catalog/product.php?product_id=39&cat_id=3

I think Crappy tire has the smaller 300 watt model for I think $129 - MD from this site bought one and he sounded quite happy with it.

I've been using a hand crank grinder for a few years, it works fine but it's slow and takes a lot of beer to keep it cranking...;)

Craig give me a call at home, you can either come over and borrow the grinder or just bring your meat over and we can grind it here. Shouldn't take very long.

dana
10-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Kevin,
If you're cutting meat does that mean you got something on the ground already?:cool:

Kirby
10-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Kevin,
If you're cutting meat does that mean you got something on the ground already?:cool:
X2!!!

Kevin, if your around tomorrow I'll give you a call and swing by with some beer and meat.

Kirby

bc-shedder
10-24-2007, 06:40 PM
he makes awesome peperoni and jerky i know that much

KevinB
10-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Hey Steve -

Nope - well not me personally! I took a friend out on Sunday, a new hunter, and he got his first buck. We cut it up on Monday and we did the burger last night.

Been seeing much yet?

KevinB
10-24-2007, 08:17 PM
X2!!!

I'll give you a call and swing by with some beer and meat.

Kirby

I could have used that line at the bar when I was a wee bit younger...

har har.....

I'll be around tomorrow, give me a call.

Kirby
10-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Hey Steve -

Nope - well not me personally! I took a friend out on Sunday, a new hunter, and he got his first buck. We cut it up on Monday and we did the burger last night.

Been seeing much yet?

You take out Christian? I heard he got lucky on the weekend. lucky bugger 2 hours of hunting for his first deer.

Kirby

KevinB
10-24-2007, 08:41 PM
You take out Christian?

Yup.

lucky bugger 2 hours of hunting for his first deer.

and that included the drive there! more like a half hour once we parked the truck. He's gonna think it's always that easy...

but he did awesome, nothing like shooting your first deer from 20 yards in the timber.

Kirby
10-24-2007, 08:42 PM
but he did awesome, nothing like shooting your first deer from 20 yards in the timber.

I was trying to find him today to congratulate him, I'll grab him tomorrow.

dana
10-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Kevin,
As of late I've been seeing lots of does around. Going give it one last go this weekend trying to get Cody a buck during anybuck season. He passed on a lot of bucks this season while we chased monsters, but now he's ready to take whatever buck presents itself a good shot opportunity. He's also got a muley doe draw come Nov that I'm sure he won't have too much trouble filling.
When I was hunting moose with Thad he mentioned you had a moose draw again this year. Have you been already, or is that still coming up?

KevinB
10-25-2007, 06:38 AM
Lots of does around here too, but pretty spotty. I hope Cody manages to cut both his tags, that would be awesome.

My moose draw is for Nov 1-15 in 5-02. There are 5 of us with draws this time around. I guess when the luck comes, it comes all at once!