PDA

View Full Version : hunting in 3-17

CJones06
11-05-2020, 01:16 PM
Hey everyone. I've poured over tons of previous threads but was wondering about some more recent/relevant information. Me and a buddy are planning on doing a trip next October probably around Thanksgiving and we were looking heavily into 3-17. Neither of us can go this fall since we both have young kids and work/farm commitments but trying to plan things well in advance to gather as much info as we can. We were going to load up with all of the GOS tags for that area to better our odds of coming home with something. We'll probably hunt for 5-7 days. Is it worth investing that much time in this area? If so, any tips on hunting this area? If not, which area would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Huntingtyler123
11-05-2020, 01:46 PM
Mule , white tail and black bear tag is all I would get. I hunt this region more often then not. Lots of reserves so don’t bother road hunting really. Drive the road to a spot and get out and hike in a hill or two. Beautiful country so can’t go wrong. Lots of cougars so maybe get a tag just incase. Lots of evidence from locals but still haven’t bumped into one up there
good luck

thomas300
11-05-2020, 02:25 PM
tons n tons n tons of road hunters this year i've never seen it hit so hard

Huntingtyler123
11-05-2020, 04:30 PM
Anyone ever explored the bowls off the Duffy ? I always tell myself when driving up there I want to spend a weekend and scout up there

CJones06
11-05-2020, 08:53 PM
good odds of coming home with a deer though?

Huntingtyler123
11-05-2020, 09:20 PM
Anywhere you go you’d get the same chance if your out there hunting. We missed the glory days of hunting

crazybushcreature
11-05-2020, 09:33 PM
You need to put in the foot work. Road hunting is definitely hard. Deer like to stay in the thick stuff where there safe.

Readacus
11-06-2020, 08:06 AM
I've skied the Duffey bowls more than I have hunted them but there is game up there. The country is steep and challenging, I think it might take some investment of time to learn the area and connect, but if you are okay with that the rewards are beautiful country. I've seen Griz on both sides of the highway in the cut blocks just as a heads up. 3-17 is worth hunting to for sure. I'm going up 3-17 this weekend with a doe tag wish me luck.

survsteve
11-06-2020, 08:32 AM
I've skied the Duffey bowls more than I have hunted them but there is game up there. The country is steep and challenging, I think it might take some investment of time to learn the area and connect, but if you are okay with that the rewards are beautiful country. I've seen Griz on both sides of the highway in the cut blocks just as a heads up. 3-17 is worth hunting to for sure. I'm going up 3-17 this weekend with a doe tag wish me luck.

Does are plenty I'm up here right now and seen 5.. 3 of which were very large. Veasey lake has a bunch but heavily road hunted... Also bring a chainsaw... It got windy a few nights ago and I had to carve out several fallen trees to continue on. Seen 2 around noon, 1 at 8pm, 1 at 4pm w/buck and another around 7pm. I've been out several days at 4am without seeing a thing move.. animals here work human hours apparently.. I'm looking for moose and so far only found tracks

CJones06
11-10-2020, 03:39 PM
We're planning on packing in and setting up camp as far from the road hunters as possible.