PDA

View Full Version : Zero grouse. Been in region 2, 3 and 8.. not one.

Bchuntingchick
11-04-2020, 08:55 PM
This year haven’t seen any grouse. Anyone else seen the grouse population dwindling?

Danny_29
11-04-2020, 08:56 PM
I've spent a ton of time in the bush this year and from my observations it's a terrible year for grouse.

markt308
11-04-2020, 09:29 PM
I'm shocked you guys don't think it's a good year! Not at all trying to beat my chest here but my family and I have all been saying this is the best year we've seen in recent memory. Seeing 5 to 10 grouse on most hunts. I guess that's just hunting eh

monasheemountainman
11-04-2020, 09:40 PM
Ya I’ve seen lots

walks with deer
11-04-2020, 09:50 PM
wet spring in many areas.

huntinnewbie
11-04-2020, 09:53 PM
We have seen lots this year but it is strange as very few ruffed or spruce but tons of big blues

whitespringer
11-04-2020, 10:24 PM
Depends where... reg7 next to nothing, reg3 healthy numbers
nothing in the bag mind you lol

g_man668
11-04-2020, 10:30 PM
Seen lot's in region 8 and 4 this year and a couple in region 3

barry1974w
11-04-2020, 10:34 PM
Hardly any around here this year. I think they all drowned....

Firstblood
11-05-2020, 09:47 PM
mixed results depending on the areas. I hunt R3, seen lots of adult birds, almost no young of the year, that makes the hunting harder but they are there.

russm
11-05-2020, 09:52 PM
We saw quite a few this year, more spruce grouse than I've seen where i typically hunt too

srthomas75
11-05-2020, 10:21 PM
On a trip into region 5 late September we had a good year for grouse. mostly spruce, some ruffed and my first two blue. More this year compared to the last few years in my mind.

tigrr
11-06-2020, 06:46 AM
I have seen 4 ruffed flying!! I have not shot any. Low numbers here this year. Wet spring and the chicks take a hit. I will not take any from here this year. Let them rebound.

Squamch
11-06-2020, 07:05 AM
I saw a ton of chick's this summer, but it seems like this fall numbers are way, way down. South Island.

HarryToolips
11-06-2020, 07:30 AM
wet spring in many areas.
This is the issue....however, I have seen a decent amount, but low numbers can usually be attributed to a wet spring...

boilerroom
11-07-2020, 01:24 AM
I hunted hard for 2-1/2 days for them and got 6 I think, in Region 3. While deer hunting in region 8 near the end of October I got 5 (4 franklins and 1 ruffed) and saw a group of 10 blue grouse but was on a stalk (unsuccessful) of a buck so took solace in walking amongst them to about 5 feet away.

I was hunting new areas so no idea how that compares to other years, but all but one group seemed to be adults only so it seemed that chicks didn't fare well with the wet spring.

caddisguy
11-08-2020, 08:58 PM
It's been a tough year in our areas that normally produce (Region 2 and 3) Killing deer and bear has been easier than bagging a single grouse, and we actually spent more time this year on the former lol

Less than average grouse and way more skittish. Finally came across a couple this morning that were not skittish and picked off one of them.

Tactical Lever
11-08-2020, 11:15 PM
As the others have mentioned, an excessively wet spring will wreak havoc on the hatch. A very cold winter will kill off a few. A predator cycle will have an affect. Hunters will kill very few.

Last years hot spots might be in a totally different spots from year to year. Lots of hunting pressure will kill pockets of grouse along the roads. I believe quite a few hunters out this year.

I always have to switch my spots because it varies. A few years ago was a crazy year with grouse everywhere, but you have to find the hot spots and work them. One of my neighbors didn't see hardly any at the beginning of the season, so I turned him onto a stretch of lease road where I could've collected a dozen in a few hours.

caddisguy
11-09-2020, 12:43 AM
As the others have mentioned, an excessively wet spring will wreak havoc on the hatch. A very cold winter will kill off a few. A predator cycle will have an affect. Hunters will kill very few.

Last years hot spots might be in a totally different spots from year to year. Lots of hunting pressure will kill pockets of grouse along the roads. I believe quite a few hunters out this year.

I always have to switch my spots because it varies. A few years ago was a crazy year with grouse everywhere, but you have to find the hot spots and work them. One of my neighbors didn't see hardly any at the beginning of the season, so I turned him onto a stretch of lease road where I could've collected a dozen in a few hours.

Hunting pressure might be a a factor in popular spots with resident pockets. We found a bunch of bird seed along some of our grousy spurs

ratherbefishin
11-09-2020, 07:17 AM
Few grouse in 3- 29 last year,lots this year..