PDA

View Full Version : Too Late for Kamloops Bears?

skibum
11-04-2020, 11:22 AM
I was going to put some time in targeting black bears this week. What are your thoughts on bears still being out around the Thompson-Okanagan?

Filled the mule deer tag, but hunting this year haven't really seen an overwhelming amount of bear sign, well not really over the last three years. I hunt well away from the roads

a) too late in the season, rest up for the whitie rut
b) stop hiking, and drive the truck around a bit more, glassing cuts from the truck (but the cuts around here are not on steep hillsides that are really conductive to this)
c) bear population down and pushed away from the roads, stop being a pussy and put some time in on the boots?

Thoughts?
Thanks

RyoTHC
11-04-2020, 01:24 PM
Bear population is unreal around Kamloops..
I saw four out foraging in all the snow we had last weekend...some of witch was a sow and cub so, I’d say you still have a week or two at least ..

do the deer a favour and eat a bear !
find the forage find the bears.

CranePete
11-04-2020, 02:43 PM
There’s a sow and her cub still bumbling around in 150 Mile, don’t see why Kamloops would be different.

B-rad
11-04-2020, 03:46 PM
had a sow and 2 cubs on my property lastnight,,,,,plus,,,,i seen 2 out hunting whities 2 days ago,,,,,gooo get em!!!

skibum
11-04-2020, 03:56 PM
A little disheartening that I suck at spotting bears around the loops.

Thanks for the responses, a little "hope" is all I need to get back out in the bush.

walks with deer
11-04-2020, 04:06 PM
seen one this morning chowing down.

Firstblood
11-04-2020, 05:04 PM
It was 12 degrees down low today, no reason they wont still be oot and aboot. More time in the bush and you will find them, right now its all about the food.

Bugle M In
11-04-2020, 05:27 PM
I havent seen many bears over the years where i go around there.
Always scat sign, but rarely fresh tracks in the snow come mid november.
But, i did see one of the largest blackies right at the end of October, but up on the plateau near where it drops down.

So yes, i think they are there.
Just some areas hold better concentrations if you read the posts above.
Maybe the food source where i hunt MD isnt as plentiful for the bears as other spots. (maybe that has been the case for you when you have been out?)

Find a source they like right now, and in an area where it is plentiful and i suspect the odds of seeing them will go up.

two-feet
11-04-2020, 08:14 PM
Yesterday I braised a bone-in bear shank for 5 hours in stock, wine and herbs. It was unbelievably tender and succulent. Got that one end of October region 6 so south of here there must still be a few kicking around

cameron0518
11-04-2020, 08:58 PM
I saw a nice black bear today, just not into hunting them personally. Enough sign out there as well that shows they are still out. Good luck and keep going

russm86
11-05-2020, 09:09 AM
Saw a ton of bears the last few springs and the last 2 falls so I know there's good population, but haven't seen a single one now this fall, not sure what's up. I have yet to see a buck of any kind this fall either in areas I've consistently seen dozens every fall, so just not my year I guess. Maybe, need to find some new spots. This has honestly been my most dismal and disappointing hunting season ever.

Bugle M In
11-06-2020, 04:13 AM
I think i did a poor job on my previous post.

What i wanted to say is, over many years, when i hunt MD in the area, its usually mid November.
I see bear scat, but it is already weeks old if not a month old, and see the same thing year after year.
Never fresh by the time i am hunting MD in there, BUT, i generally hunt MD low down...very low.
But the scat tells me they are there on a yearly basis, and are using the area earlier, if not all early fall, if not summer long.

BUT, as soon as i venture higher up, either on the plateau drop offs or just below around the Red Rocks, i do see fresh sign quite often over the years.
Fresh tracks in the snow, something i dont ever recall seeing down low at that time.

So, i am guessing what ever food source the bears were targeting has dried up by early fall down low.
So, i am assuming they are starting to venture higher up, looking for who knows what and possibly sticking closer to their dens if need be (just making a guess???).

But in 30 years up there, whenever we have had snow, come mid november and till end of MD season, i cant recall ever seeing a single fresh track down low.
Only up top near the drop offs.
Just my experiences, but others could say complete opposite.
Mind you, i dont hunt close to any orchards/dumps or near township limits either where i go.