PDA

View Full Version : Here We Go ......

Ourea
11-02-2020, 05:30 PM
https://x.castanet.net/SouthOkanaganSimilkameenVolunteerCentre/20-10/display/SOSVolunteerCentre-Volunteer-PR1.jpg (http://www.castanet.net/cgi-bin2/stats/clickcounter.cgi?id=164781&cid=227422&region=700)

Penticton
PIB natural resources director explains opposition to bighorn sheep hunting in South Okanagan

PIB explains bighorn issue

Dale Boyd / Local Journalism Initiative - Nov 2, 2020 / 1:56 pm | Story: 315223
https://www.castanet.net/content/2020/11/dsc_9863-2_p3369457_p3437560_p3489681.jpgPhoto: Mike Biden

The harvest of a California bighorn sheep east of Penticton has led to the Penticton Indian Band (PIB) calling for a stop to harvesting the species until it can get back on its feet.
After the harvest of a ram in the Upper Carmi area came to the attention of the PIB, the band released a statement on Oct. 22 (https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/314518/PIB-oppose-sheep-harvest) requesting a moratorium from the province, which issues tags to harvest the at-risk species.
“The issuance of hunting licenses without our community’s free, prior and informed consent has been an ongoing issue for many years,” said newly elected PIB Chief Greg Gabriel. “This is unacceptable; the Penticton Indian Band must be meaningfully and appropriately engaged regarding any and all decisions pertaining to the harvest of our tmixw within our unceded Territorial lands.”
For years the PIB has been working on restoration and enhancement programs to protect the herd which was imperilled a few years ago with an outbreak of a severe infestation which closes up the ears of the animals. The California bighorn sheep are also highly vulnerable and sensitive to human disturbance, forest development and grazing competition, according to James Pepper, PIB director for natural resources.
In 2016 the band launched a multi-year collaborative program to support the local populations and rid them of Psoroptes ovis, a disease which was leading to significant population declines.
“Their population was in extreme decline so we partnered with the province, and with some veterinarians and the band, and we built a sheep enclosure and worked to experiment to find cures for that disease,” Pepper said. “Now on the other side of the valley, the herd is in better shape, there is more of them, but they are also susceptible to a variety of different diseases as well as forest encroachment, houses, land alienation, cattle that are grazing everywhere.”
There are a couple of groups of bighorn sheep stretching south past the Canada/U.S. border and roughly divided east and west by the Okanagan Valley’s lakes.
There are less than ten tags given out by the province in the Okanagan area to harvest bighorn sheep which are given out in a draw — one of which the hunter seen harvesting the sheep in the Carmi area possessed.
“He produced his tag indicating he was legally allowed to harvest that animal. So that was brought back to the elders and knowledge keepers of the community and to the community itself. At this time the band doesn’t feel those sheep should be harvested, the population isn’t robust enough,” Pepper said.
The PIB also said in the statement it is looking to have more input with the province when it comes to hunting and the issuance of licenses in the area.
Pepper said he has spoken with provincial authorities — who declined to comment due to the interim period of government between elections. The province gives roughly five or six tags for harvesting bighorn sheep a year. The PIB would asking none be given out until the population can get back on its feet. Not only are the Okanagan sheep susceptible to disease, the population is still quite young and undeveloped.
“There are very few, if any, that even have that curl anymore because the population isn’t diversified. So there are a lot of young males, and that was the one that was harvested, but it’s not a robust enough population from the opinion of elders and knowledge keepers with the Penticton Indian Band, to allow for harvest at this time,” Pepper said.
With recent outbreaks of disease and the active efforts by the PIB and conservation organizations to develop sheep habitat, including the Wild Sheep Society of BC, the harvesting of the young ram provoked a response from the PIB.
“There are a lot of people involved in trying to restore the habitat for these herds, and then to have hunting allowed while we’re trying to restore a population was counterintuitive,” Pepper said.
“The harvest has been going on for many years, this isn’t a new thing, but it’s still going and the sheep are not, in the opinion of elders and knowledge keepers of the Penticton Indian Band, the populations are not robust enough to handle harvest loads right now. They need to wait a little bit. A little bit of harvest could occur, but not licensed hunters.”

two-feet
11-02-2020, 05:47 PM
I love the last line....

Walking Buffalo
11-02-2020, 05:50 PM
"A little bit of harvest could occur,
Just not by licensed hunters."

Time to Cowboy up.

porthunter
11-02-2020, 05:54 PM
This should be interesting. The Government Bios do a lot of work and monitor those areas pretty damn well in my opinion.

There's not doubt that the Okanagan bands have taken a hit over the last decade, but to say "There are very few, if any, that have a curl anymore because the population isn't diversified" says a lot on the type of investigating/research they've done in the area. I haven't spent a ton of time in the area, but never had issues locating 3/4 rams.

I believe this year alone there was over 80 sheep counted at the Vaseux lake sheep count.

Retiredguy
11-02-2020, 05:54 PM
Yes, pay attention to "not licensed hunters."

We are going to see more and more of this and with Horgan re-elected, well I think we are going to have incredibly frustrating times ahead.

Bugle M In
11-02-2020, 06:17 PM
Some sort of shit, "on our end" has to start hitting the fan soon.

Thinking more in lines how how the folks back east deal with issues and FN.
Road blocks, cant hunt here, our land, only us type crap every day now.
Meanwhile, its okay to throw nets across rivers, all in the name of "traditional" and yet by doing so, ignore all conservation efforts by targeting all species.
But hey, i can shoot in your back yard!

Sounds like you guys most just love your FN's up around Penticton...sound like a swell bunch of folks!!!

RyoTHC
11-02-2020, 06:21 PM
**** you guys have it rough, I’m so glad that I haven’t laid down any roots in this province because it’s a god damn joke at best.. it was nice to live here and enjoy the beauty and hunting for a few years but everyday I’m reminded more and more why I’m moving to a province with a backbone that’ll tell these fools to fly a kite.

huntingfamily
11-02-2020, 07:20 PM
Just another group trying to shut down our ability to enjoy hunting

358mag
11-02-2020, 08:02 PM
Once again this has nothing to do with conservation ,or California < wonder how long it is before the FN's + NDP change there name > Bighorn Sheep . Its all about a new Chief who is another spin off of Chief Stewart Phillips flexing his muscles ,control and $$$$$ . Remember they are keepers of the land ...LOL
We as sportsman are going to be once again put under the bus and shit on .

The Hermit
11-02-2020, 08:17 PM
I just wasted an hour writing a long and thoughtful post on this topic, and then deleted it ... don't want to get banned. LOL

Rob Chipman
11-02-2020, 08:20 PM
It's very important to understand that with the passage of Bill 41 UNDRIP is going to be a dominant theme in government policy going forward.

UNDRIP (love it or hate it) is a non-binding aspirational document. It requires a sovereign legislature to give it legal teeth. The federal government has indicated it *wants* to implement UNDRIP, but the BC government has started the process by passing Bill 41.

Again, love it or hate it terms like "free, prior and informed consent" are going to become very important. In the past I only heard that, as far as hunters are concerned, free, prior and informed consent had to be obtained to make changes to hunting regs (I mentioned this in the cow/calf harvest thread, indicating that one reason why a 1 authorization cow/calf LEH existed was because bureaucrats felt that getting rid of it meant they'd never be able to bring it back.

Chief Greg Gabriel has thrown out a new (at least to me) twist: the issuance of hunting licenses for existing seasons requires free, prior and informed consent of the relevant Indigenous group (remember, UNDRIP doesn't require that the free, prior and informed consent come from an Indian Act created FN organization, just to complicate things).

Note also that the Chief refers to the sheep as "ours'. Go bone up on the NAWCM. That model is in direct opposition to the Chief's position. My advice is to treat the NAWCM as a catechism. Learn it and preach it. Educate your MLAs.

Note that the Chief also talks about PIB elders and knowledge keepers. You're going to see more of that, and, like a lot of these things, you can love it or hate it, but I'd advise coming to grips with the concept. It could be turned to our advantage.

Note also that licensed hunters are in the crosshairs, but the reference is vague. It could mean no licensed hunters *for the time being* while reserving the right to Indigenous harvest, or it could mean no licensed hunters ever again. If the former we should probably have a very different reaction than if it's the latter.

I've said it before, and I know a few guys on here who understand the implications don't like it, but in my opinion UNDRIP is here to stay. We can fight it or we can manage it. I think that if we just go to war with First Nations and oppose UNDRIP at every turn we're going to lose big.

I think that if we manage UNDRIP and work with any First Nations that we can we'll be much happier with the results.

This PIB news is big, it shouldn't surprise anyone, and we're going to see more if it. We need to figure out who to come together to work on it to make the finished product look like something we can live with. I don't know what that will look like but I will tell you this: it's going cost a lot of money before we're done.

Talk amongst yourselves... :-)

dougan
11-02-2020, 08:28 PM
Well I don’t recognize native law so in short they can blow me.

Muliechaser
11-02-2020, 08:37 PM
Well I don’t recognize native law so in short they can blow me.

Couldn't agree more . I am blood native and this shit makes my blood boil . Job . Taxes . Rules . Just like everybody else ...simple . **** me . It's funny cause the band kills the sheep and SELL the horns . ****ing sick

Mulehahn
11-02-2020, 08:40 PM
Rob, I agree with what you are saying and to an extent support it. But I think you, and many politicians, are not reading the tea leaves right. Or maybe you are... When you said go to war with the First Nations. The possibility of bloodshed is, and I am scared but believe this to be true, is not far off. The PIB is only a pebble in this avalanche. Look at the Lobster Fishery. Look at Smithers being handed over without consent. Look at all the trespassing happening in the prairies (and the shots already being fired over it)

Yes, there is real race issues happening in the USA and everyone focuses on them, ignoring their own backyard in an effort to feel superior. UNDRIP is a United Nation initiative. The UN is at its core a military entity. When push comes to shove, a military's sole purpose is war and if they push they may get their wish.

Harvest the Land
11-02-2020, 09:07 PM
Good post as usual Rob. People should Google the acronym is NAMWC (North American Model for Wildlife Conservation) and inform themselves. Its not perfect, but its definitely a major reason why we still have so many big game animals to hunt in North America

It's very important to understand that with the passage of Bill 41 UNDRIP is going to be a dominant theme in government policy going forward.

UNDRIP (love it or hate it) is a non-binding aspirational document. It requires a sovereign legislature to give it legal teeth. The federal government has indicated it *wants* to implement UNDRIP, but the BC government has started the process by passing Bill 41.

Again, love it or hate it terms like "free, prior and informed consent" are going to become very important. In the past I only heard that, as far as hunters are concerned, free, prior and informed consent had to be obtained to make changes to hunting regs (I mentioned this in the cow/calf harvest thread, indicating that one reason why a 1 authorization cow/calf LEH existed was because bureaucrats felt that getting rid of it meant they'd never be able to bring it back.

Chief Greg Gabriel has thrown out a new (at least to me) twist: the issuance of hunting licenses for existing seasons requires free, prior and informed consent of the relevant Indigenous group (remember, UNDRIP doesn't require that the free, prior and informed consent come from an Indian Act created FN organization, just to complicate things).

Note also that the Chief refers to the sheep as "ours'. Go bone up on the NAWCM. That model is in direct opposition to the Chief's position. My advice is to treat the NAWCM as a catechism. Learn it and preach it. Educate your MLAs.

Note that the Chief also talks about PIB elders and knowledge keepers. You're going to see more of that, and, like a lot of these things, you can love it or hate it, but I'd advise coming to grips with the concept. It could be turned to our advantage.

Note also that licensed hunters are in the crosshairs, but the reference is vague. It could mean no licensed hunters *for the time being* while reserving the right to Indigenous harvest, or it could mean no licensed hunters ever again. If the former we should probably have a very different reaction than if it's the latter.

I've said it before, and I know a few guys on here who understand the implications don't like it, but in my opinion UNDRIP is here to stay. We can fight it or we can manage it. I think that if we just go to war with First Nations and oppose UNDRIP at every turn we're going to lose big.

I think that if we manage UNDRIP and work with any First Nations that we can we'll be much happier with the results.

This PIB news is big, it shouldn't surprise anyone, and we're going to see more if it. We need to figure out who to come together to work on it to make the finished product look like something we can live with. I don't know what that will look like but I will tell you this: it's going cost a lot of money before we're done.

Talk amongst yourselves... :-)

HarryToolips
11-02-2020, 09:32 PM
The last line makes me want to puke....maybe the elders and knowledge keepers should keep their own ppl in check in order to be the true stewards of the land...who knows, if they can successfully do that then maybe one day they can take down the 'respect the cow moose and elk' posters that are posted at the entrance to Carmi main in order to constantly remind and educate said band members to actually 'respect the cow moose and elk'...I know this particular article is about sheep but their hypocrisy is absolutely disgusting..

338win mag
11-02-2020, 10:18 PM
I won't be embracing anything.
Of course the elders and knowledge keepers said this and that. If elders means "smart" its important to know some old people never grow up.
I can produce some old people who will tell you to shove it up your ass too.

I know exactly how we got here, and I know exactly who brought it.

338win mag
11-02-2020, 10:29 PM
To entrust anyone from the PIB with any knowledge of wildlife, harvesting, ethics, or the morality of hunting is laughable as some of the biggest assholes I have ever met and worked with are from the PIB, total poachers so I can see the elders giving the advice, and there is the real problem.

russm86
11-03-2020, 09:19 AM
Ironic coming from people who traditionally wiped out all animals in their local area before packing up and moving onto the next area... This was the reason they were nomads and supposedly traveled long distances, they needed food, otherwise there would have been no reason for them to leave where they were.

skibum
11-03-2020, 09:47 AM
What a lazy f'in story.

No attempt to dig a little deeper and ask why the province thinks the hunt should go on.

boxhitch
11-03-2020, 09:51 AM
The article shows a thin veil for the truth. For someone who claims to be knowledgeable about wildlife to suggest stockpiling rams will help a population is ludicrous
The concept is intended to be misleading, along with the implications that PIB has initiated any rehabilitation projects, its all bs

Rob Chipman
11-03-2020, 11:39 AM
dougan:

"I don’t recognize native law"

You live on the Island. Vancouver Island went 100% NDP and Green. You may not agree with your neighbours, but they overwhelmingly support the guys who brought in Bill 41.

Bill 41 isn't native law. It's BC law. If the PIB can bring Bill 41 to bear on hunting regs it will be BC government law that you're going to have to ignore. That's why I say Bill 41 is important.

338win mag:

I didn't say "embrace". I said "come to grips with reality and manage it so that we get the most desirable outcomes you can". I don't doubt that you can produce old people to tell others to shove something up their asses. Question is: will government adopt the advice of your chosen old people when they make policy? I'm pretty sure the current government will give you a hard no on that, and they're here for the next 4 years.

Skibum:

"What a lazy f'in story." Can't disagree. Weird though, eh? Normally media these days is so thorough, trustworthy and professional. ;-)

Boxhitch:

I think you're right. We've seen some of the themes you point out already. We'll see them more often going forward.

mooseknuckler
11-03-2020, 01:09 PM
If you want to see the direction this province is headed read the "Together for Wildlife Strategy" that was released by the NDP:

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/app/uploads/sites/377/2020/08/Together-for-Wildlife-strategy.pdf

I think it's inline with the summary Rob posted.

Bugle M In
11-03-2020, 05:37 PM
No point blaming Rob here.
He really is just pointing out the "tactics" that the FN now have given the entire situation.

Coming from feeling sorry for them many years ago and wanting to see some changes to now seeing that they are being given everything for free and
still want more and basically knowing they got what they wanted, and are now saying FU and want to go on, is what pisses me off.

And you know what, i aint FN, i have different rules, and i am saying for the record..."FU too!", i am coming in!!!

Jagermeister
11-03-2020, 07:47 PM
**** you guys have it rough, I’m so glad that I haven’t laid down any roots in this province because it’s a god damn joke at best.. it was nice to live here and enjoy the beauty and hunting for a few years but everyday I’m reminded more and more why I’m moving to a province with a backbone that’ll tell these fools to fly a kite.
If you don’t mind me asking, just what province do you have in mind?

RyoTHC
11-03-2020, 07:59 PM
If you don’t mind me asking, just what province do you have in mind?

Manitoba or Yukon are where most of my transfer applications are pending, Once a position opens up with one of them I’ll be hitting the dusty trail. Though I have more than enjoyed BC and everything it’s offered, I couldn’t have asked for a better place to start, and learn how to hunt than here! But in the grand scheme my livelihood and future is more important than good hunting and pretty mountains.

Bugle M In
11-03-2020, 09:28 PM
So if all the wildlife is no longer "The Queen's Wildlife" (Crown) and is "owned" by the FN's then I guess killing one isn't really "poaching" under Canadian law then?? I think I'll be hunting one way or another for the rest of my days. Too old and sick of all the bullshit to care much either way for myself anymore but worry that my grandson will be screwed out of our family traditions and heritage... that is worth fighting for in court, in the woods, and on the blockades at some point.
I know, it makes the blood boil.
Add, from time to time there have been members on here, most likely with FN background thats says "well, now the shoe is on the other foot and you dont like it suddenly"!!!.

Thats okay then....then its time for this guy to start being the poacher, as the FN have been for years under the guise of stewards of the land.
Meaning, i will put the "their shoe" on my foot!!!
And start exercising their practices that they have gotten away with for years.

And dont kid yourself, one of the best poachers back in Bavaria (sadly, but true) was a great uncle.
So...."its in my blood" to be really good at it!!!

Is this the world we want in the future????
Because this is exactly where it is headed now.
And there is going to be a few other things that arent going to be so proud about speaking, that will happen too!!

dougan
11-03-2020, 09:35 PM
dougan:

"I don’t recognize native law"

You live on the Island. Vancouver Island went 100% NDP and Green. You may not agree with your neighbours, but they overwhelmingly support the guys who brought in Bill 41.

Bill 41 isn't native law. It's BC law. If the PIB can bring Bill 41 to bear on hunting regs it will be BC government law that you're going to have to ignore. That's why I say Bill 41 is important.

338win mag:

I didn't say "embrace". I said "come to grips with reality and manage it so that we get the most desirable outcomes you can". I don't doubt that you can produce old people to tell others to shove something up their asses. Question is: will government adopt the advice of your chosen old people when they make policy? I'm pretty sure the current government will give you a hard no on that, and they're here for the next 4 years.

Skibum:

"What a lazy f'in story." Can't disagree. Weird though, eh? Normally media these days is so thorough, trustworthy and professional. ;-)

Boxhitch:

I think you're right. We've seen some of the themes you point out already. We'll see them more often going forward.give it all to the wagon burners . Everything is open to my white ass at that point. Not going to sweat it.

Bugle M In
11-04-2020, 12:14 PM
I wonder if some of what we are seeing is just folks with similar interests just "fighting for the remaining crumbs"??
Instead of trying to decide on a "slice of the pie", our current fish and game situation is that there is very little remaining, so all
that is left is crumbs.

Meaning, if game and salmon were plentiful (hell even like on the east coast with lobster), would any of this be actually happening,
even with all the recent land claims etc that have happened??

No matter how you assess the situation, this all comes back to one problem.....government.
The fact that any of our current and past parties in power have done absolutely nothing to help wildlife.
No money, and ignoring some policies while implementing other ones, none of which has benefitted in producing either fish or
game.
And on top of that, have set 0 guidelines, imo, that the FN have to follow.

This whole veil of traditional rights does not jive with todays modern society.
Gill nets across rivers is no longer traditional and is having a huge impact.
Limiting resident hunters when we have already been limited up the ying yang, is not going to correct anything.

As I have said, this is causing unrest with the non FN community all over BC, whether it is the Moose and interior folks or whether
it is all along, up and down the west coast if your passion is salmon fishing.

When will the FN begin to realize that what they are saying/doing will not correct the situation.
Just further inflame (unless that is of course what they want, but why I am not sure???).
That some of their practices will/are actually causing further declines, even if on the onset they weren't originally responsible.

IT doesn't matter who started this all.
What matters is what is going on right now.
That trying to save the remaining crumbs for themselves is going to bake them a new cake!
Without Non FN support (as their current actions are making us less tolerant of them), they wont find the situation any better
then we ourselves have seen for many decades now.

All this is due to lack of government intervention.
Lack of guidelines for the FN and what they can and can not do or use under the claim of "traditional rights".
Which is actually a legal problem, imo
It should be retitled "traditional means" or "Traditioanl ways".
Then to harvest by any way different then they did "before white man settled here", which after all, is what they base all their
claims on to begin with!!!!
So, if you want to base it on that, before the rest of us were here, then also should their practices and tools be!

Government needs to readdress this, for all our sakes, and even the FN sakes because in the end, they can no better manage
wildlife then we can, given the equipment and times they use right now.
And I'll be damn to see any of my tax dollars go into wildlife rehab, unless we "all can use it"!!!

And its goin to take a lot of cash to fix our current state of affairs when it comes to fish and game #'s.
And if we did have game a plenty, I doubt crap like this form the FN band would even come up.
I don't know why they don't get it.
But, in the end, they are going to shoot themselves in the foot on this.

All I can say to the non FN, is keeping educating the uneducated as to what the FN are doing, and the damage they are causing
with many of their practices.
Things such as using nets 24/7 to target all species of fish, and the fact that basically our steelhead stocks are vitally extinct
in some areas.
That the protected Sturgeon are being killed all the time from these nets, and that its not being reported to the general public.
The lack of Cow Moose up north is a reflection of FN overharvest, non the non FN who have been limited in this regard.

Time to "educate back" the BS they have been spewing.
Take the time to chat with folks that you hunt.
You would be surprised how many will listen without drawing an immediate conclusion against you.
Especially if you take the teem to get to know folks first.
It takes effort, but "word of mouth" is a very valuable asset we all need to be reminded of and practice!!!

Linksman313
11-04-2020, 01:04 PM
Manitoba or Yukon are where most of my transfer applications are pending, Once a position opens up with one of them I’ll be hitting the dusty trail. Though I have more than enjoyed BC and everything it’s offered, I couldn’t have asked for a better place to start, and learn how to hunt than here! But in the grand scheme my livelihood and future is more important than good hunting and pretty mountains.

Adios Amigo and good luck in your ventures, enjoyed reading your comments, informative stories and trolls over the years, add to that you had THC in your name lmao.
God speed
Links

Hope the "Grass" is greener, but I know it wont be :p

boilerroom
11-04-2020, 01:05 PM

I guess I better get my ass in gear and pick up the ammo ;)

Walking Buffalo
11-04-2020, 11:14 PM
Bugle,

You asked, "I wonder if some of what we are seeing is just folks with similar interests just "fighting for the remaining crumbs"??"....

I've heard the answer first hand many times from FN Chiefs, Leaders, Elders and young Warriors for decades.
The definitive answer is NO.

FN's consider themselves still at war with Colonists.

Their desire and actions are for the long term purpose to retake full control of the Land and all its resources.
We are simply currently in a "cease-fire", with little to no violence. A time to gain strength and strategic position.

Canada's legal system is being used against Canada by FNs to gain ground.
Whether it is animals, or fish, or land claims, the intent is to regain Full control, piece by piece for now.
And the strategy is working.

It won't belong now ( a few decades) and BC as you know it will cease to exist.

Rob Chipman
11-05-2020, 11:05 AM
Bugle:

I think you're providing some good food for thought. I am also of the opinion that the government has contributed to a conflict that I think will get worse before it gets better (and I think it's important that all of us try to navigate that potential conflict in a way that minimizes it as much as possible).

Indigenous people have many concerns, and not all of them share all the concerns that other Indigenous people do. I think it's important that hunter-conservationists recognize that our concerns over wildlife and landbase access are only a small part of what most Indigenous people see as the problem. Limiting resident hunters isn't always a conservation move. It's also an expression of sovereignty, and from that point of view it certainly does correct something from the POV of the group doing the limiting. I think it's important to consider that because it directly impacts your question about how things would be if we had healthy fish and game populations and how your tax dollars get spent.

There are guidelines. They are vague and subject to interpretation by the courts. The vagueness contributes to the problem. Sec 35, UNDRIP and Bill 41 are the guidelines.

One thing that isn't vague is the idea of traditional rights vs traditional means. That ship sailed, and it did so through the courts.

Walking Buffalo:

Same thing. Excellent observation, with the disclaimer that not all Indigenous people feel they are at war with the colonists, but that theme is certainly a real one.

Additionally, when people say "It should be this way or that way" it's wise to remember what you've pointed out: Canada's legal system is very often the tool being used. It's been used for years, and used very effectively. I'm not making any sort of moral judgement when I say this, but First Nations law is an industry that employs an awful lot of people and generates an awful lot of money. There are successful long lasting law firms that depend on it. There may be a few law firms that concentrate on wildlife, fish and habitat, but they're few and far between and aren't very influential. I doubt if there is any law firm that concentrates on any sort of hunter rights.

It's worthwhile letting that sink in (and I recognize that it sank in with you a long time ago).

If we don't recognize that and start responding to it effectively then your last statement has a much greater chance of becoming reality. (Yes, I am saying that the response "I don't follow native law and I'll just be a poacher so they can all blow me" is fun to say, but isn't realistic or effective).

Frosty
11-05-2020, 09:24 PM
If you want to see the direction this province is headed read the "Together for Wildlife Strategy" that was released by the NDP:

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/app/uploads/sites/377/2020/08/Together-for-Wildlife-strategy.pdf

I think it's inline with the summary Rob posted.

Reading that, it seems to be more about relations and reconciliation. Really nothing directly beneficial to the wildlife of BC. Just a lot of wordy words about satisfying one group of people, wildlife is just the vehicle.

338win mag
11-08-2020, 09:14 PM
Bugle,

You asked, "I wonder if some of what we are seeing is just folks with similar interests just "fighting for the remaining crumbs"??"....

I've heard the answer first hand many times from FN Chiefs, Leaders, Elders and young Warriors for decades.
The definitive answer is NO.

FN's consider themselves still at war with Colonists.

Their desire and actions are for the long term purpose to retake full control of the Land and all its resources.
We are simply currently in a "cease-fire", with little to no violence. A time to gain strength and strategic position.

Canada's legal system is being used against Canada by FNs to gain ground.
Whether it is animals, or fish, or land claims, the intent is to regain Full control, piece by piece for now.
And the strategy is working.

It won't belong now ( a few decades) and BC as you know it will cease to exist.
This is true^^^
Only thing is, if a person thinks he can run to another Province that won't work because, the plan is to work on the bookends (east-west) and squeeze inward until it envelopes the entire Country. This isn't going to be just for BC's enjoyment, it will be for all Canadian's to enjoy.

I, at one time thought our judicial system was what made our Country great, but now realize I was wrong. It is what makes our Country vulnerable to corruption from those wishing access to our resources, and also...Judges don't always get it right, in fact sometimes they get it completely wrong, by completely wrong I mean....the interpretation from a historic document and then to connect that to a contemporary time seems to leave me puzzled.

IslandWanderer
11-12-2020, 10:44 PM
Is it a similar situation in other provinces?

That is to say, if access to hunting gets somewhat clawed back, could a person move to another province where there would be more opportunity to hunt?

fuzzybiscuit
11-12-2020, 11:31 PM
Is it a similar situation in other provinces?

That is to say, if access to hunting gets somewhat clawed back, could a person move to another province where there would be more opportunity to hunt?

From what I know IW each Province is different. No treaties signed in BC but there is right next door in Alberta. So at this point we don’t have the same issues here that you have in BC. They also don’t call it a “status” card here; it’s a “treaty” card. Essentially the same thing though.

TomP
11-13-2020, 04:06 PM
BC will fall into the hands of the FN. as stated above it isn’t about the wildlife...it’s about control of the wildlife. I believe we should all fall under the same set of rules. Although that will never happen. I started out hunting in Alberta and moved to the northwest coast 3 years ago. It seems to me their is much more conflict with FN here..and they control and dictate much more of the hunting and fishing resources. I work and have fished with some FNs who are fantastic people and have included me into their culture and showed me their practices but their is no denying it is having a negative affect on populations (salmon) and then for their elders and chiefs to blame us is really quite frustrating...
Tom

stosto
11-14-2020, 06:10 PM
I don't see the outrage. If the tables were turn, most of you would be doing the same, trying to reclaim resources. I would. No doubt the future will be different, but there is a lot of land and hunting out there. We just got to stop Rinella from promoting it.