PDA

View Full Version : Nikon blows!!

Steeleco
10-26-2020, 04:05 PM
First off I've had Nikon Monarch 4's for years and they have been and in fact still are great. The eye cups have worn out and need replacing. I thought 25 year warranty and maybe $40 for parts.. NOPE they wont fix them as they don't have the parts. Fair enough, BUT they want me to upgrade at a "discounted price" for just under $600. Hell I can get the same pair of Monarch 7's on amazon for $25 more and have 2 pairs.

So in short DON'T buy Nikon, I hear they don't make scopes any longer and apparently can't count to 25. So now I'm shopping for Monarch 7 quality binos and will jerry rig the old pair and make them truck binos.

Frank grimes
10-26-2020, 04:22 PM
Interesting. I was considering getting the monarch hg binos maybe this spring. Maybe not now.

Bustercluck
10-26-2020, 04:25 PM
Check out the leupold bx4

Bustercluck
10-26-2020, 04:26 PM
I think this is the second time I’ve read Nikon warranty issues in the last month or so...

Greenthumbed
10-26-2020, 07:13 PM
I dealt with Nikon warranty when I bought a pair of used Monarch 3’s for my wife. They had an issue of seeing double. I sent them away and Nikon sent me back a pair of Monarch 5’s at no extra cost. I was so impressed with those Monarch 5’s that I upgraded my Vortex Diamondbacks to the Monarch 7’s. The Monarch 7’s are really solid and I am very happy with my purchase. I have nothing but a good experience with Nikon. Weird how one person has a negative experience and another has nothing but positive.

Johnny G1
10-26-2020, 08:36 PM
No different with their camera warranty, won't buy another one or have anything to do with Nikon.

Steeleco
10-27-2020, 04:33 AM
I dealt with Nikon warranty when I bought a pair of used Monarch 3’s for my wife. They had an issue of seeing double. I sent them away and Nikon sent me back a pair of Monarch 5’s at no extra cost. I was so impressed with those Monarch 5’s that I upgraded my Vortex Diamondbacks to the Monarch 7’s. The Monarch 7’s are really solid and I am very happy with my purchase. I have nothing but a good experience with Nikon. Weird how one person has a negative experience and another has nothing but positive.

Don't get me wrong, I love the glass, but don't like the service. 25 year warranty used to mean something.

280 77
10-27-2020, 04:54 AM
I had a similar eye cup problem with my Leupolds , sent them to Korth's and within 10 days a brand new pair of bino's arrived on my doorstep . This was an upgraded model as they no longer made the ones I sent in , no charge.

twoSevenO
10-27-2020, 08:28 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love the glass, but don't like the service. 25 year warranty used to mean something.

Sounds like you dealt with a shitty rep. I would give them another try with someone else at the company. They should definitely send you a new set if they dont have the parts. That's on them!!

twoSevenO
10-27-2020, 08:30 AM
Interesting. I was considering getting the monarch hg binos maybe this spring. Maybe not now.

I have been using the HG for a couple of seasons now ... they are fantastic binos. From my research I concluded that I could not find anything better for the price.

Ive been VERY happy with them

todbartell
10-27-2020, 08:41 AM
Years ago I had eye cup issues on my Nikon binos, same story. They wouldn't fix them

I bought Vortex and never looked back

Ron.C
10-27-2020, 08:51 AM
Years ago I had eye cup issues on my Nikon binos, same story. They wouldn't fix them

Sssshhh!!!!! Don't say the "V" word. Don't you know that game can't be taken with anything less that a Swaro. Decent optics with the best warranty in the buisness is just a gimmick.

The "buy once cry once" crew will be all over ya ;)

dapesche
10-27-2020, 09:34 AM
I think it'd be a good idea to avoid Nikon. I had an issue with a spotting scope base. They also 'did not have the parts' and offered a high price for an replacement spotter. Nikon definitely doesn't care about their bino's and spotters. Definitely a camera company that dabbles in the birding/hunting area. Its for this reason that their glass is so nice.

Just know that their customer service is shit.

twoSevenO
10-27-2020, 09:47 AM

Looks like they've changed their warranty from 25 years no questions to "limited lifetime on optical parts and 7 years on non optical components"

That sounds a bit ridiculous. It's no wonder Vortex is killing most of them with their warranty.

todbartell
10-27-2020, 09:58 AM
Sssshhh!!!!! Don't say the "V" word. Don't you know that game can't be taken with anything less that a Swaro. Decent optics with the best warranty in the buisness is just a gimmick.

The "buy once cry once" crew will be all over ya ;)

well 9 years of Vortex use and no issues here! That reminds me, I have to box up my father in law's Swarovski EL for repair haha

twoSevenO
10-27-2020, 10:14 AM
well 9 years of Vortex use and no issues here! That reminds me, I have to box up my father in law's Swarovski EL for repair haha

Guess it's more like buy once cry twice afterall.

Steeleco
10-27-2020, 12:26 PM
I MAY have mentioned in my PISS off reply that I'd be sharing their less than excellent service with the hunting community! If I can just save one customer for the same fate LOL
Ironically I used a tiny dab of Gorilla glue to keep the eye cups in the up position and am back in the game. If they'd have sent me the new parts I'd have changed them myself and not looked back. Their loss!!

blacksn95
10-27-2020, 01:01 PM
That sucks... I had the same issue with skme old Pentax binos.. ended up using a pair of universal eye cups from Ebay or amazon.. forget which one but they work ok..

elknut
10-27-2020, 01:30 PM
I might be slow but how do you wear out eyecups on a binocular ...Is the rubber cracking ?..Do you leave them out in the sun ?...Just never heard of this problem before ...Dennis

blacksn95
10-27-2020, 01:48 PM
I might be slow but how do you wear out eyecups on a binocular ...Is the rubber cracking ?..Do you leave them out in the sun ?...Just never heard of this problem before ...Dennis

On my Pentax they were silicone flip up and the silicone had a crack in where it flipped up and down... On my Leupold spotter it just ended up developing a slit in the silicone and the spotter is rarely used.. not sure why, maybe too thin?

Steeleco
10-27-2020, 03:34 PM

Not slow LOL Because the eye cups screw up and down for folks that wear glasses over time the metal slots under the rubber wear out and the screw heads don't track right. One of mine is missing all together? No clue how that happened or even if it was missing from the get go? All good now. Bino's fixed for now and message shared!!

Weatherby Fan
10-27-2020, 03:46 PM

Ive seen eyecups go on several types of binos go off, Meopta, Zeiss, Leica, mostly dirt/dust gets in the slots of the twist up eyecups and forces pressure cracks in the system, some of the old style rubber would dry out and crack on the eyecups.

luckofthedraw
10-31-2020, 09:17 AM
I had monarch 3's that had an issue and they sent monarch 5's via free replacement no questions asked. That was 2 season's ago now.