PDA

View Full Version : caddisgirl bags a blacktail buck

caddisguy
10-25-2020, 09:10 PM
Story and pics will come. I just wanted to share the brief version

It started on a bench up one mountain and finished across the valley at the base of another mountain with a lot of crazy terrain in between. Some slips and falls, getting soaking wet in raging creeks in freezing temps...

End result was a chunky old gnarly looking blacktail fork buck.

I'm not sure how she's all up and moving today, but I can barely move... getting up, sitting down, moving at all... nothing works and everything hurts lol

I could not be more proud of her. Not many people on this planet have ever worked as hard as she did. Full story and some pics, maybe a short video coming in the next couple days.

dougan
10-25-2020, 09:23 PM
That’s awesome way to go!

Redthies
10-25-2020, 09:45 PM
Congrats! Sleep well. It sounds like you guys deserve it!

NChunter
10-25-2020, 09:54 PM
You guys are one fire this year!! Looking forward to the story!

REMINGTON JIM
10-25-2020, 10:03 PM
Congrats ! Looking Forward to the whole storey and Pics ! :smile: RJ

boilerroom
10-25-2020, 10:13 PM
well done to you both! After your epic tale of the whitetail on the bow, can't wait for the story and pics from this one. Rest well.

HarryToolips
10-26-2020, 06:29 AM
Right on congrats, look forward to the pics.....

45freezer
10-26-2020, 08:20 AM
Looking forward to the story/photos, sounds like the backpacks got a workout!

caddisguy
10-26-2020, 07:48 PM
Part 1/3:

We headed out Friday, October 23rd destined for a Region 2 spot prepared to sleep in the Jeep for a couple nights during the cold snap. The forecast for Friday was in the minus, and Saturday night it was expected to dip to -14C (and we were going to be higher up, so minus another few degrees)

When we reached the spur road we planned to drive up, it was already dark and there was some snow, but it didn't look chain worthy. For the most part it wasn't. There was one corner section where the road is even and dips down and there are some obstacles. That corner was awkard and there was a bit of sliding, but we pushed on and arrived safely at camp. There was a bit of concern about how that corner will be after a couple nights of deep freeze and thaw cycles as we don't actually have chains, but rather a couple sets of "cables". We decided that was more of a "Sunday problem" so we opted to stay rather than head down and camp down low. As long as it doesn't snow too much more (I'll wake up and check perodically) everything will probably be workable. If it does start snowing a bunch, we'll just head down.

Soon after getting settled, we hear what sounds like an enormous tree crashing down followed by a huge thud. It sounded like it came from the "bad corner". That gave me a little dose of anxiety, as we don't have chainsaw. I wanted to go check if we were blocked in, but we heard a bear messing around our camp. So we decided the potential tree thing is not a "tonight problem". We tucked into our Jeep nest and fell asleep.

I started waking up off and on as it was getting light out. I would look around from the comfort of my sleeping bag to see if anything was moving and then continue the snooze cycle. caddisgirl started waking up around 8:30, so I figure it's time to get myself awake as well.

My plan for the day was to go for a sit in the bed that I shot the archery buck from. It's a nice flat part on a steep slope where you can see down into a fairly open section of timber. I can see why he liked that spot. I figured I would do a little light ratting and see what transpires. Then in the early afternoon I would hit 4 trailcams and possibly bump into something. Then the evening would be back in the archery buck bed.

caddisgirl is the first out of her sleeping bag. "Would you like a coffee" ... "Yes please!" as she is boiling up some water on the pocket rocket. I am just thinking about how great this warm coffee will be after I finish my red bull. By the time I have consumed both of these caffeinated beverages, I should be ready to get moving.

She hands me a tall mug of coffee and I have a few sips. I look over to my left and notice a doe outside about 80 yards away. I point it out to caddisgirl. While she is trying to locate the doe, I spot a buck with what seems like a big rack by the treeline just up top of the slope above the archery buck bed. Now I am looking at caddisgirl doing the "finger antler" signal. She is outside. I am still in my sleeping bag. She asks me to grab her rifle for her. I am still in the Jeep (in my sleeping bag) and she is outside with a couple sips of coffee in her. It didn't really register that she was asking me for her rifle until she asked a second or third time. Her rifle (like mine) is in the back of the Jeep, inside a soft case, with a trigger lock on. This is just one part of a series poorly planned decisions for which we knew better and will continue to be a theme. I reached back and pulled it out of the case and handed it to her. I did not have any hope this would turn into any real opportunity. I had lost sight of the buck and was just taking the opportunity to film the doe, which I now just noticed had a fawn in tow. Even if the buck is still around, it's just as likely to be another Region 2 whitetail buck like we are seeing everywhere and there is no season for them. So, I have the drivers side window down, trying to film this blacktail doe and fawn, having a tough time zooming in and figuring out whether or not they are in the view finder.

BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!! Her 30-06 barked like a 30-06 does. Surprising when you are not expecting it.

"Holy (expletive)" - I was not expecting that, at all. I get a kick out of that reaction when I watch it on the video. I see a buck (which was actually trailing the doe and fawn) flop down hard. He was about 40 yards from the tree line trailing about 30 yards behind the doe and fawn. I am not sure if it was the same buck I saw at the tree line a moment or two ago, but it is definitely a pure looking blacktail buck. It's possible it was the same, but had less wood up top than what I thought I saw with my naked eye at 80 yards. Who knows. The blacktail buck gets up and hobbles off to the tree line and falls down again. Then he gets back up again and enters the tree line. Should there have been follow-up shots? Maybe, but hindsight views are always 20-20.

I guess I should get out of my sleeping bag now. We repeatedly share the excitement of what just happened from each of our points of view while we sip down our coffee. We're giving this one a good hour or more since it entered the treeline. I figured it probably bed down as soon as it reached cover, but if we push it, it is going to head down that steep slope and create a ton of work for us.

After an hour went by, we put on our packs and extra layers. We both took our rifles just in case. We talked about what will happen if there needs to be a "put down shot". We talked about "first blood", hunter speak for whoever shoots the deer first owns the kill and cuts the tag, regardless of any "put down" shot (each hunting party might have differing opinions so it is important so this should be discussed in advance) For us, first blood owns it and whoever has a put down shot takes the shot. Off we go.

caddisguy
10-26-2020, 07:49 PM
Part 2/3:

First we went to look for the exact spot the buck was shot and flopped down. In hind sight this might have been a mistake. It might have been better to stalk up to where he returned to the treeline. We will never know the right answer to this. It was actually difficult to locate, because there was no blood in the snow. caddisgirl was able to locate a spot where there was commotion. There were tracks, dirt kicked up everywhere on top of the snow, some hair but absolutely no blood. I think by this point we are already very concerned but still hopeful. That buck did not appear very mobile.

Next, caddisgirl located the spot he went into the treeline. There were a few drops of blood. To me it looked like flesh wound rather than lung blood and there just did not seem enough to suggest a lung or heart shot. The concern now is that it did not appear to die from the impact and it does not look like the buck is bleeding out anytime soon. We have to consider every possibility.

Down the slope we go, scanning for drops of blood or deer. For anyone who has never tried to do this, IT'S HARD. I once almost walked right into (about 3 yards away) a live bear while looking for small drops of blood. There is also not much snow in the thick timber, just some light patches here and there.

We are half way down the slope and caddisgirl spots a few more drops of blood that I had walked right by. Good news is that gives us some trajectory which might or might not mean anything. It's just good to find "anything" when you are trying to latch onto any glimmer of hope while searching for a blacktail buck in some of the thickest, steepest terrain you can imagine.

After losing the blood trail, we are basically going up and down this steep slope, zig zagging all over, checking out everything from trails to conceivable travel routes and checking every little nook and cranny in deadfall that an injured blacktail might crawl into, because they can and will hunker down in holes you would never expect.

I eventually found a little bit more blood about 50 yards down from where caddisgirl found the last drop. So we are on the right trajectory still. Shortly after that in the same trajectory, there is a creek that is flowing a lot from the new snow run-off. One of 3 things happened. The deer went along the flats upsteam, downstream or crossed the creek. If it tried to cross the stream and fell, we knew it could be carried quite a ways, so we were even checking log jams and other places he might snag up.

We continued to look around the flats at the bottom of this slope now and to other areas where things stay flat. Hours pass and we don't find anything. I checked a trailcam in the area to see if he passed by. Nope. We continue searching every little spot of thick stuff he could have slipped into. Nothing.

At this point we are both feeling horrible. I know caddisgirl is going through a lot of heart sinking feeling now about possibly wounding a deer and the prospect of not recovering it, even if she might be trying to ignore it like some might ignore a pebble in their boot. From feeling on top fo the world one moment, to feeling so low the next. And I am experiencing that same gut wrenching feeling, in addition to thinking about how upset and disappointed she is feeling now and will probably be feeling for a long time if this does not end well. An experience like that can bring about strong feelings in the coming days and weeks. Even though the feelings may fade with time, in many cases they will never truly go away, even if one dwells on it less, the memory is going to pop up from time to time years later and take you back to those thoughts. Aside from being severely injured or worse, I think this is the worst thing that can happen to any ethical hunter with any sort of conscience.

Well, we have been at it for hours now beating ourselves up physically around this slope and this terrain. We decided we have ruled out everything on the slope and the flats on this side of the creek for a 1km stretch. Time to go back to where we found the last blood. The frusterating part is that every time I am back at this spot we think we can smell him. It's that same subtle smell that lingers a little bit after eating deer or elk that reminds you what you ate was different than a beef steak. Between the flow of the creek and the direction of the wind, it's all over the place though. Following ones nose isn't going to help here.

It's time to cross those freezing rapids. I did not see a point of both of us getting wet. We're already uncomfortable from sweat and exertion (like going hard doing cardio and leg day at the gym for 4 hours or so) and expecting temps below -15 overnight. It was not the best place to cross the creek by any means, but I wanted to cross in the same trajectory the buck was going rather than crossing somewhere else and circling back to locate the crossing point. caddisgirl climbed up the slope (all the way up) again to fetch the packs we ditched earlier and came back down. I took off my thick outer later and put my boots back on. I would rather cross safely with boots and a little get wet versus unsafely without boots and possibly slipping anyway.

Off I went. As soon as I reach the other side, I see fresh prints on the bank that say "distressed deer" in my mind. I follow the tracks another 10-20 yards. And the buck stands up. No sooner than I could get him in the cross hairs, he slips behind a huge stump. I can tell already he has mobility issue, but I am not sure what he is capable of yet. I only gave it a few seconds. When he did not reappear, I just knew he was travelling directly away from the stump and it wouldn't be too long before he finds another obstruction to change direction playing typical blacktail games. I stalk up behind the stump and as expected he's gone, but I see the direction of the tracks spot him again, still 40 yards away. I pull the rifle up again, second he is about to be in the cross hairs he awkardly hobbles behind cover again.

At this point I decided to run him down. Some will say not to pressure a wounded animal, but that is circumstancial. If you waited it out already, searched for hours and you find the animal, then judge by it's movements that it is mechnically disabled to a capacity that running it down is feasible (and obviously if you have no reason to believe it is gut shot, "mechanically disabled" is key) that is what you do, especially in this terrain, especially with a blacktail buck. If you stall, there is a good chance you are not going to see him again. They call these deer ghosts and masters of hide and seek for a reason and this should not be taken lightly.

After a few more sprints and rifle draws where he wouldn't give up a shot long enough to take a shot, we're across the valley bottom at the next mountain across the way. After a final sprint where he tried to go up hill and couldn't, he paused long enough to give up a shot. I didn't waste any time for a surgical shot. A quick draw and blast and he was down, then made the surgical shot to be sure. After seeing what a wounded blacktail that SHOULD be dead is capable of, there is no way I am leaving anything to chance.

caddisguy
10-26-2020, 07:51 PM
Part 3/3:

Time to go back and tell caddisgirl so she could recover her deer and that it isn't far off a road we can drive around to. I start working my way back to the sound of the creek. I arrive at the creek in a different place than I crossed. I am a bit disoriented at this point. I can see how hunters can get themselves lost really fast pursuing an animal in the heat of the moment. I am not lost by any means. I have the creek, slope, valley bottom and mountain across the way. It's would be pretty hard to be "lost". I just don't know my proximity to caddisgirl.

This leads us to the next mistake (once again we knew better) and that was not having a radio.. or so we might have thought (had we even thought about it) when separating. caddigirl actually did have both radios in her pack. We just didn't think about it. After all, I was just going to walk across the creek and check to see if there was any sign he had crossed to the other side. Who needs a radio for that, right?

I am calling out downstream and upstream but no answer. Either too far or the creek is too noisy, or both. So, I find a place to cross and my rifle straps snags on something and breaks as I flop down to my hands and knees in the creek getting even more wet that I want to be with the cold starting to come in.

I started heading down stream which I thought to be correct (and it was) and keep calling out. No response. At this point I am starting to get worried. What if she heard me calling on the other side of the creek and decided to cross looking for me and now she's not there? We'll be trying to track each other down in circles until dark. Or what if she had a run in with a cougar or bear? There were cat and bear tracks everywhere and with the noise of the creek who knows what could sneak up. Meanwhile she is having similar concerns. From her stand point I just disappeared into the bush and then maybe 20 minutes later hears a couple of shots. And she knows we are down far enough that we are not far off a road where there are road hunters driving by literally ever 2 minutes or so (it's a Region 2 main line after all) so she is worried about would could have happened to me, whether I might have had a run in with a cat or a bear or got tagged by a road hunter shooting at our limping deer. She told me after she never felt so low and felt like it was her fault.

Meanwhile I am hoping she is alright and not trying to find me, because if she is looking for me at this point she is going the wrong way. I needed her to stay at the creek bank and I will get back to her eventually. I decided to fire a shot into the ground at least make it clear that am not where she might think and bonus if she gives a reply shot. Neither was really the case... the creek, the echos around the mountains... it just wasn't helpful and could have added confusion. I am still pretty sure I need to go downstream but if I am wrong, it's a lot of work to back track with how thick it is an all the obstacles. I decided it's better just to burn the time and energy hiking back to the top of the slope to confirm where I need to go. So that is what I did while stopping to call every so often.

I got back up top and confirmed I was indeed up stream of where I needed to be and knew where I needed to go. I was about to start heading back down and hear caddisgirl calling. I am calling back but she just can't hear my reply because of the creek... "I am up TOP. Come back to CAMP. Come to the JEEP" ... nothing ... this went on for awhile, very frusterating for both of us. Eventually she moved away from the creek to hear better and she heard me call back. What a relief. She climbed back up with both of our packs and my pants, struggling up the steep slope with the earth eroding under her feet.

"Your deer is down the valley across the main road. Let's go get it"

It didn't register to her that her deer is actually dead and we just need to go get it. Too much exertion and too much stress. Went and packed the jeep in a hurry. She's thinking we heading down to continue the tracking. And I am thinking "gee I hope that tree we heard last night isn't laying across the spur road out of here" and somewhat worried one of those road hunters that drive by every 2 minutes might spot the dead deer the hill on the other side of the road (it was concealed by a log but was still partly visible) and throw it in the back of their truck.

We drove out of the spur just fine. There was no tree down and no icy hills or deep snow. Thank goodness. Drove around to where the deer was, pulled off and stopped. "He's up there behind the log" ... caddisgirl realizes it's finally over. Most of the time when you pull the trigger, the hard work is field dressing and the pack out. This case was not typical. Field dressing is nothing in comparrison to what we just went through, and the pack out here is only 40 or 50 yards and down hill.

At this point, both our spirits were lifted. It's over, and we're going home tonight before the temps drop even more... we will be sleeping in our own beds.

We walked up to her buck and took a few moments to admire it. It is a beautiful blacktail specimen. Little stubby black tail, no indication of any muley genetics. His fork antlers are a little thick for a "young" two point with fairly wide bases with a lot of bumps around the bases which were also on the thick side. His neck was also fairly swollen... no question bucks are starting to be in rut mode. His front shoulders are smaller than our archery buck which I believe was muley dominant, but his rear quarters and back muscles were built like a tank (backstraps and hinds were probably 2x the meat). He had a beautiful coat. We kept some sections of hide for fly tying over the winter. This deer is going to be catching is rainbow trout for decades to come.

After we processed the deer, we packed the game bags into the cooler and headed home, plopped the game bags into the fridge and went to bed. I believe the timeline was that the deer was shot at 9:30AM and we were finished at 4:30PM. It was a long hard day of walking, climbing and literally crawling around up and down the thickest nastiest stuff one could think up.

The next day, I was so sore I could hardly move. Even today I feel so beat up I texted my boss to see if he had enough manpower and could spare me for a day (made it clear I can work either way) and he said no problem. So today I was able to get some extra sleep and finish cutting, which in itself is no easy chore. We spend a lot of time (many hours) cutting and packing our own meat. Now we have the deer all vaccum packed and frozen.

A lot of things went wrong that we are not particularly proud of, so it is important to reflect on the lessons learned:

1) Anything less than a good heart shot, double lung or perfectly boiler room shot can lead to a rough day, for both you and the animal. Animals can be tough. For example, a deer with a broken shoulder and/or deflated lung can keep going a very long time.

2) Radios. Communication might not seem particularly important when you are just going to cross a creek to check for tracks. Not everything goes as planned so prepare for the unexpected.

3) Less significant to the overall story, rifles locked up in the back of a jeep are not particularly useful.

4) NEVER GIVE UP. If you take the shot, be prepared to spend at least a day looking for any sign you hit it. If you find sign the shot connected, be prepared to spend another day even if you have to call your boss, family or whatever, heck even cancel a flight if you have to. It's just the right thing to do. Even some of these popular hunting shows, you see a guy drop an elk in fairly open terrain, look around for an hour or so and say "hey nothing goes to waste, it just goes back to nature" and call it off. I strongly oppose that being the standard. One can comfort themselves with those thoughts after exhausting every possibility rather than using them as an excuse not to take the search up a notch further.

5) We should probably pack a chain saw

This will likely be our last big game story for the season. Both freezers are topped off. It has been a good year for us. A couple deer and a bear. If we go out again, it will just be for trailcams, camping, observing and learning about these amazing creatures called blacktail deer.

Good luck to all the rest of the season. We wish everyone a safe, enjoyable and hopefully successful hunting experience. And maybe, just maybe this story can help someone avoid the same mistakes, even if they "already know better" ..... "just like we did".

Take care! :)

https://i.imgur.com/oK3IlrV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jqboT5W.jpg

twoSevenO
10-26-2020, 08:01 PM
Nice work!! Congrats! :)

DannyO
10-26-2020, 08:14 PM
Awesome!! Congratulations to caddis girl!

BearStump
10-26-2020, 08:17 PM
good story Caddisguy. and congrats to the Mrs. I cant wait to get out tommorrow. we've spoke about your usual areas. and I'm heading out tomorrow morning just over the mountain from you in the next valley. gonna be a long day of tough hiking in knarly blacktail country. I hope my day ends as well as yours did.

HarryToolips
10-26-2020, 08:34 PM
Well done Caddis's!

BCHunterTV
10-26-2020, 08:39 PM
congtrats guys

landphil
10-26-2020, 08:42 PM
That’s some well-earned deer meat! Congrats to Caddisgirl and yourself, good job toughing it out and getting it done in the end. I know too well some of the feelings you both had in those hours, when despite one’s best efforts and intentions, things go wrong. Much better to have the ending you worked for.

nature girl
10-26-2020, 08:42 PM
Oh caddisguy so very proud of caddisgirl and you this year for you both getting your blacktail this year. You two work so hard at hunting them blacktail.
I was thinking caddisgirl was thinking come on give me my gun. Get out of that god damn sleeping bag. I want to shoot this deer here.

Yes I could imagine a million things were running thru caddisgirls mind especially when you were just going to cross the creek and look for her deer and be right back. And she couldnt here you or know what was going on.
She was probably worried, mad, upset, wondering if you were hurt or pissed off that you did not come back in a timely manner. Thats just my opinion. You are just thinking of finding the deer and she is just standing by the creek. Her time is going by slowly and your time is going fast.
Thats why atleast its good to have a plan ahead of time if one person takes off the 2nd person stays in the same spot. Especially if you dont have radios.

I hope I didnt sound mean but us women we worry when our man takes off and is gone longer then he says.

mpotzold
10-26-2020, 08:44 PM
Congrats to the huntress!:D

Gun Dog
10-26-2020, 08:49 PM
Congrats. Every great adventure starts with poor planning. It's so easy to get complaisant because hunting involves hours of walking, sitting and watching and only a few seconds of aiming and shooting. Or just walking, sitting and watching.

Onesock
10-26-2020, 09:30 PM
Just wondering why you had trigger locks on your rifles?

caddisguy
10-26-2020, 09:35 PM
good story Caddisguy. and congrats to the Mrs. I cant wait to get out tommorrow. we've spoke about your usual areas. and I'm heading out tomorrow morning just over the mountain from you in the next valley. gonna be a long day of tough hiking in knarly blacktail country. I hope my day ends as well as yours did.

Thanks! We hope yours ends as well, but has less drama in the process!

caddisguy
10-26-2020, 09:37 PM
You are just thinking of finding the deer and she is just standing by the creek. Her time is going by slowly and your time is going fast.

I hope I didnt sound mean but us women we worry when our man takes off and is gone longer then he says.

You hit the nail on the head there naturegirl. I read your post to caddisgirl and she agrees 100%

I figure peak frustration was after all she went through physically, followed by all the worry, climbing back up to me up the slope with both packs and her rifle with the earth just eroding slowing progress and thinking the chase/tracking is still mid way as it had not registered that "the buck stopped".

She might actually be the toughest animal in Region 2. Tougher than me that's for sure.

caddisguy
10-26-2020, 09:44 PM
Just wondering why you had trigger locks on your rifles?

It's a good question. I just keep trigger locks on everything at home by default (even though technically they are not needed there since they are in a safe) Normally if I am solo hunting or it's just two people and two guns we take the trigger locks off before we leave home. I always have one or two in the Jeep just in case I need to leave something unattended for whatever reason. The only time I really leave a lock on anything is if there is a third gun in play (perhaps a shotgun for grouse on the drive home) which is going to get left in the car while we are out deer hunting. Or if I am walking round looking for birds and leave the rifle behind, sometimes I will just take the bolt out.

srthomas75
10-26-2020, 10:00 PM
well written, thanks for taking the time to share this with us. I enjoy your recap of your adventures

boilerroom
10-26-2020, 10:18 PM
I was looking forward to the story and it was better than I imagined! thanks cguy and cgirl for taking me on your adventure!

I'm so sorry for all of the trials and tribulations - but please know that you have helped me and I'm sure many of my fellow hunters through your adventures. So much more educational than a simple bang-flop story... though "not that there's anything wrong with that" ;-)

caddisguy
10-26-2020, 11:36 PM
Just for fun... here's a couple tail shots. The first one is caddisgirl's buck, which I believe to be a pure blacktail or very blacktail dominant specimen. The second (the archery buck) I believe to be a mule or muley dominant + blacktail hybrid. Any feedback from those in the know would be greatly appreciated. My thinking about the first is the tail is very stubby and pure black, while the second looks more "ropey", but the black goes all the way up. In the case of both bucks, the antlers were cagey / curled inward. Educated insights much appreciated. And if it makes any difference, the archery buck is "summer coat" (taken Sep 4, still in velvet)

https://i.imgur.com/OSHiaX6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gM6ipqh.jpg

caddisguy
10-26-2020, 11:49 PM
Congrats. Every great adventure starts with poor planning. It's so easy to get complaisant because hunting involves hours of walking, sitting and watching and only a few seconds of aiming and shooting. Or just walking, sitting and watching.

I absolutely love that quote. It is so true. We all try our best not to live by it and would prefer to avoid the "great adventures" even if they do make for good story telling.

Salty
10-27-2020, 10:14 AM
Well caddisguy and girl the main thing I'm reminded of reading this latest adventure is... methodical tracking, keeping a cool head and a shit load of persistence can most certainly trump some less than stellar planning and a good dose of bad luck. kudos to you two once again. Man, I remember some years back caddisguy you be all full of questions, starting from the start in this hunting thing. Now I'm learning from you guys. For real. And one last bit of advice if I may, you guys might want to look in to a bigger freezer. LOL. Epic year congrats!

bottles
10-27-2020, 11:39 AM
So awesome man. Congrats caddisgirl. ��

Knute
10-27-2020, 11:58 AM
Attacaddisgirl!

Well written account, stellar effort at locating your buck.

IronNoggin
10-27-2020, 12:08 PM
Now that's going the distance!
Well Done!!
And of coarse CONGRATS!!

Cheers,
Nog

Mark-R
10-27-2020, 02:11 PM
Congrats and thanks for taking us along Caddiscrew!

saskbooknut
10-27-2020, 03:30 PM
Congrats on a good end to the story. Persistence pays. Thanks for sharing.

caddisguy
10-27-2020, 04:04 PM
Well caddisguy and girl the main thing I'm reminded of reading this latest adventure is... methodical tracking, keeping a cool head and a shit load of persistence can most certainly trump some less than stellar planning and a good dose of bad luck. kudos to you two once again. Man, I remember some years back caddisguy you be all full of questions, starting from the start in this hunting thing. Now I'm learning from you guys. For real. And one last bit of advice if I may, you guys might want to look in to a bigger freezer. LOL. Epic year congrats!

Thanks Salty! It sure was nice for caddisgirl was able to tag that blacktail. After all the psychological torture the grouse up at the chicken coup inflicted on us few weeks back, we were starting to question ourselves.

I learned so much from all good people on here. If anyone is able to grab a take away from any of the posts/stories (even if it's a "what not to do" type of take away LOL) that makes me feel good... we're still green horns in the grand scheme of things, so there should probably be some kind of "legal / will not be held liable" disclaimer on my tagline :)

RICKADY
10-27-2020, 04:04 PM
Epic day, very good write up, Nice ending, Congats Girl!

Salty
10-27-2020, 07:00 PM
Thanks Salty! It sure was nice for caddisgirl was able to tag that blacktail. After all the psychological torture the grouse up at the chicken coup inflicted on us few weeks back, we were starting to question ourselves.

I learned so much from all good people on here. If anyone is able to grab a take away from any of the posts/stories (even if it's a "what not to do" type of take away LOL) that makes me feel good... we're still green horns in the grand scheme of things, so there should probably be some kind of "legal / will not be held liable" disclaimer on my tagline :)

The caddis adventures are helping a lot of readers there's no doubt ;)

Funny you mention the 'coup I was up there this afternoon hadn't been in quite a while. And true to its handle I saw 3 grouse. I gotta say man they were the most paranoid skittish grouse I've seen all year you'd almost think they've been shot at before. :mrgreen:

Again, congrats to caddisgirl.

The Hermit
10-27-2020, 07:27 PM
Thanks for sharing your adventure! The part I liked best was the 06 startling you whilst you were not following the action!! That is funny stuff! I even get startled stepping out of the truck at the range! Congrats to both!!

whognu
10-27-2020, 07:43 PM
Great story folks

so many parts sound so familiar

hunting in my jammies? not so much......

having the boss make the coffee? Yikes, I cannot even fathom how to broach that one with my gf

you captured the second third, fourth and fifth guessing (we all do) very well

well done, thanks for the adventure

chris