PDA

View Full Version : Hunt Buddy BC or iHunter BC?

tdot
10-23-2020, 08:18 PM
What's your favourite app for BC Hunting Regs? Anyone used both?

Noreasny
10-23-2020, 08:22 PM
I prefer I hunter but both are good

Grizz.325
10-23-2020, 09:00 PM
I use Ihunter with private land overlay

Redthies
10-23-2020, 10:27 PM
I have both, and use Huntbuddy for regs as it’s easier to navigate, and iHunter with the private land maps for picking my way around private property.

Pioneerman
10-23-2020, 10:41 PM
I guess one other thing to ask which phone do you use with these apps? I still have not gotten one, but I emailed the company about the Ihunter as I have a Android not a Iphone and I asked if it was true that all the features were available with both platforms, and they told me there was more features with an Iphone , but less features. They did say they were working on it to improve the app

PrecariousPhoto
10-23-2020, 10:42 PM
The new BRMB (back roads map book) app is very handy too. But I use them all and Avenza. And Google Earth.

For regs specifically I like Hunt Buddy.

jlirot
10-23-2020, 10:47 PM
Same as everyone else:

Hunt buddy for regs because it's so effortless. It's a well designed app.

iHunt for the private/public maps. The app is kinda clunky but the info is amazing. You can download the google map and have the overlay of public, private, parks, etc. It's very nice.

3than
10-23-2020, 11:41 PM
iHunter has worked great for me.

TysonVM
10-24-2020, 08:09 AM
i use ihunter, finding regs is easy i find, and i can cache maps so i dont need cell service all the time

igojuone
10-24-2020, 08:14 AM
What's iHunter BC? Why didn't anyone tell me about this?

twoSevenO
10-24-2020, 08:47 AM
I have both, and use Huntbuddy for regs as it’s easier to navigate, and iHunter with the private land maps for picking my way around private property.

Do you find the private maps useful? I have to say, often the private ranch land is actually adjacent to their public grazing lease and it seems that lease also shows up on there as private land, so knowing where the actual property line is seems almost impossible.

Do you have some tips around this issue? Because I'm fairly certain the private land shown extends much further than the actual private land of a certain ranch/area

ActionJackson017
10-24-2020, 09:01 AM
I used Hunt Buddy and loved it. Tried iHunter but found it clunky like jilrot. But, I upgraded my phones and havent invested time to see if I can transfer the license from old to new.

igojuone
10-24-2020, 09:08 AM
Ok, bought the iHunter app and the private property add-on but I'm not seeing a legend for the map to differentiate what's private, graze or otherwise.

Grizz.325
10-24-2020, 12:42 PM
My iHunter maps clearly show private and grazing lease parcels. Just need to play around a bit with the layers.

Ironbutt
10-24-2020, 01:38 PM
Is OnX useful in Canada. Appears to only have USA coverage in depth but possible basic offline maps for Canada also. Any word of them expanding to Canada. I’ve heard rave reviews for its use in the states.

twoSevenO
10-24-2020, 02:26 PM
My iHunter maps clearly show private and grazing lease parcels. Just need to play around a bit with the layers.

How? They show up as the same color. How do you distinguish between the two?

Redthies
10-24-2020, 09:30 PM
Do you find the private maps useful? I have to say, often the private ranch land is actually adjacent to their public grazing lease and it seems that lease also shows up on there as private land, so knowing where the actual property line is seems almost impossible.

Do you have some tips around this issue? Because I'm fairly certain the private land shown extends much further than the actual private land of a certain ranch/area

I’m far from an expert, but where I’ve used the private land layer in the Okanagon and Kootenays it has been spot on. Like if you are watching the blue dot on your phone and walk up to a fence, it will show right on the line. I’m not saying it’s perfect everywhere, but anywhere I have a reference point, it’s been spot on. Well worth the $9 per year. I use it for camping in the off season too.

One caveat is make sure you are in cell service when it renews. I was in the Christian Valley around KM 30 with no service on a hunt and I lost the layer until I got service again after renewal date. Luckily I had used it there the year before and new the area.

Redthies
10-24-2020, 09:32 PM
Ok, bought the iHunter app and the private property add-on but I'm not seeing a legend for the map to differentiate what's private, graze or otherwise.

If you are looking to head into an unknown area, just tap on it on the map and it will open up a text saying what the area is zoned as. Some of the colours are similar, so if I’m new to a spot, I just tap a few spots and see what comes up.

Drillbit
10-24-2020, 11:52 PM

I use ihunter. Don't know how to do the private property layer.

So, I use the BC assessment map and take a screen shot of where I'm going ahead of time. I also do a regional district screen map screen shot of where I'm going, but that one doesn't show what has gone back to the crown.

You'd be surprised at how many Fake 'private property' and 'no hunting signs' you will notice doing this.

igojuone
10-25-2020, 07:55 AM
If you are looking to head into an unknown area, just tap on it on the map and it will open up a text saying what the area is zoned as. Some of the colours are similar, so if I’m new to a spot, I just tap a few spots and see what comes up.

Cool, thanks. I didn't realize when I tapped on the map it was bringing up specific info on that point on the map, thought it was giving me more general info on a larger area.

So I see in layers that some Crown land is also listed as Private Property, is that land that the Crown owns that could be sold off for Private ownership?

BCHunterFSJ
10-25-2020, 07:19 PM
Same as everyone else:

iHunt for the private/public maps. The app is kinda clunky but the info is amazing. You can download the google map and have the overlay of public, private, parks, etc. It's very nice.
Where do you learn how to do this? Are there instructions available??

iroc22
10-29-2020, 10:01 PM
Is OnX useful in Canada. Appears to only have USA coverage in depth but possible basic offline maps for Canada also. Any word of them expanding to Canada. I’ve heard rave reviews for its use in the states.

I also wondered the same. Also heard it's really popular down south. Was thinking of just taking the plunge and trying it.

Treed
10-29-2020, 10:33 PM
Hunt buddy has a private land layer too. Works well for me. A few comments about grazing leases showing up as private. Essentially they are private lands. You cannot hunt on grazing lease lands without permission. You can hunt in grazing license lands, the license is only to allow them to put cattle out on the land and doesn’t affect other uses.

twoSevenO
10-29-2020, 10:50 PM
Hunt buddy has a private land layer too. Works well for me. A few comments about grazing leases showing up as private. Essentially they are private lands. You cannot hunt on grazing lease lands without permission. You can hunt in grazing license lands, the license is only to allow them to put cattle out on the land and doesn’t affect other uses.

Soooo .... back to my question. How does one distinguish between ACTUAL private land and grazing lease. on iHunter it does not seem to be distinguished based on colors. Is it better distinguished on hunt buddy?

Because i don't really care for grazing lease. Those are literally all over the damn place.

caddisguy
10-29-2020, 11:58 PM
I've been rocking the iHunter this year. No cell phone reception where I hunt, but I can pre cache the maps at all sorts of scales from 50m to 10km. Hanging trailcams now I don't even have to pay attention to where I hang them. I can just set a waypoint on the cached map and be done with it.

Cool that you can guy those extra map layer features though for stuff like private land, ecological reserves and what not. I have not had a need for that yet but it could come in handy.

Astepanuk
10-30-2020, 03:55 PM
I really like I hunter though never using the hunt buddy App. I use the Cache map when I'm away from cell service can still drop pins and navigate to them without cell service. I like that I can switch between Alberta and Bc, super simple to use.

Ghilliesuit
10-30-2020, 08:53 PM
...How does one distinguish between ACTUAL private land and grazing lease....

Basically, private land and "lease" land are are generally fenced and gated. On Private land the owner can lock the gates, the lessee can not lock the gates on lease land, see: freedom to roam, you need permission to hunt AND recover on this type of tenure. Grazing licences are just that and no more, don't hit the livestock or you will be charged retail for the meat.