PDA

View Full Version : Carrying home the groceries

45freezer
10-23-2020, 10:51 AM
My friend Brad is 57. He still has crazy endurance in the mountains but he knows his body isn't quite what it used to be and that setting himself up for an early season solo pack out could potentially be irresponsible at this stage in the game. I'm a young able bodied man and was always taught that if you see an older person struggling with their groceries to give them a hand. Brad wanted to prove to himself that he can still get after it in the mountains this year, with the size of the buck harvested being secondary to the overall challenge of the hunt. I offered to pack out the bulk of the meat knowing that I would not only be helping him accomplish his current goal but also would most likely learn a thing or two about hunting mule deer in the process. I'm an adult onset hunter and spent a lot of my early hunting years learning as much as I could about bears as far as their behavior, habitat, where to find them at what times of the year etc. I learned a lot and got decent at getting close and putting sharp sticks through bears but now it's time to expand...you can read as much as you want online but there's no better way to get proficient at something than time in the field learning from the guys that have done it for years. I'm thoroughly impressed with Brad's endurance and persistence in the mountains at his age...many hunters wouldn't look twice at this buck if they saw it through their spotter but I know Brad will treasure far more than just the rack every time he looks at the new skull hanging in his ponderosa pine, some trophies have absolutely nothing to do with size.

I definitely did learn a few things along the way, I managed to come to full draw on two separate bucks and although the stars didn't quite align for me I know the knowledge gained will last a lot longer than the meat ever would have. Time to apply it and add some antlers to the bear skull collection!

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/attachments/1603473475865-png.226728/

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/attachments/1603473621064-png.226730/

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/attachments/1603473587989-png.226729/

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/attachments/webp-net-resizeimage-jpg.226727/

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/attachments/1603473351566-png.226725/

I also put together a short film of what may be one of his last mountain hunts so that even when his body can't keep up anymore he can still look back on the good ol' days when he used run ridges like a muley himself. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFOy9h4p64o

HarryToolips
10-23-2020, 11:04 AM
Well done, and your right it isn't always about the size of the animal it's about the process..

cameron0518
10-23-2020, 11:20 AM
Good story to read. Thanks

Ride Red
10-23-2020, 11:34 AM
Good story for sure, but 57 isn’t old.

45freezer
10-23-2020, 11:47 AM

All depends on how you treat your body over the years I guess...I know guys in their 60s that could smoke me on the mountain, I also know guys in their 30s that couldn't make it halfway up to camp.

Thanks for taking the time to read and check out the photos guys, definitely check out the video as well when you get a chance!

rocksteady
10-23-2020, 11:56 AM

Got that right. I hunt with an 84 year old. Damn crack shot he is.

boilerroom
10-23-2020, 01:01 PM
super hunt! Just the kind of thing I want to do!

Edzzed
10-23-2020, 01:21 PM
I am slightly older but I am in decent shape for my age. I did move a big fridge this summer and I would be the first to admit I had to take a short rest. Odd feeling getting winded but it was hot out, and had to drag thew fridge over some hilly and uneven terrain (tree roots) Plus up a few stairs to get it in our house. All the while trying to make sure the fridge did not tip. Was quite a struggle. Taking the old fridge out was a breeze. It was down a couple stairs and down the hilly terrain. I also re-roofed our house 3 years ago by myself. I carried shingles up the ladder and although it took a month. I did it.

weatherby_man
10-23-2020, 01:24 PM
Great read. I'm just about 57 and I know I'm starting to second guess on some things that I wouldn't hesitate doing 10 years ago. Most things I go ahead albeit more cautiously but there been a couple where I've said I shouldn't do this alone.

Arctic Lake
10-23-2020, 01:41 PM
Lot of truth in this post 45 Freezer ! I can’t do repetitive tasks anymore for work ,years and years of doing so has burnt out my upper body joints ,wrists ,shoulders .Legs seem good though ,but have a bunion on my right big toe that is causing me grief ,tried the orthotics etc. The writing is on the wall, surgery is needed .

Great of you too help your buddy out !
Arctic Lake

s
All depends on how you treat your body over the years I guess...I know guys in their 60s that could smoke me on the mountain, I also know guys in their 30s that couldn't make it halfway up to camp.

Thanks for taking the time to read and check out the photos guys, definitely check out the video as well when you get a chance!

Moose63
10-23-2020, 03:16 PM
It's funny to hear the young guy panting while Brad sounds relaxed.....lol...

nature girl
10-23-2020, 04:30 PM
Wow what a great video you did a great job of putting the video together and telling the story thanks for posting. And to your friend that buck was a trophy well earned with hard work.

swampthing
10-23-2020, 04:58 PM
Good stuff as usual 45! Your tribute to Brad is something thats hard to describe, but I know how brad feels about it! I am a mirror image of Brad. The mountains are much bigger and I spend more and more time solo in them. The adventure is the hunt for me and the taking of an animal is something I would rather not! My 20something year old son just finished a solo moose hunt that ended in 3 trips totaling 24km to pack it out. I felt bad for him at first when he inreached me. That turned to a smile as I knew as a dad, I had done my job well!

45freezer
10-23-2020, 05:44 PM
It's funny to hear the young guy panting while Brad sounds relaxed.....lol...

Right? :lol: Brad is a triathlete so his cardio is on point and certainly puts mine to shame. Also doesn't help that I have a severely deviated septum and the mic is inches from my face, I definitely need to address some audio issues in the future and that's one of them.

Good stuff as usual 45! Your tribute to Brad is something thats hard to describe, but I know how brad feels about it! I am a mirror image of Brad. The mountains are much bigger and I spend more and more time solo in them. The adventure is the hunt for me and the taking of an animal is something I would rather not! My 20something year old son just finished a solo moose hunt that ended in 3 trips totaling 24km to pack it out. I felt bad for him at first when he inreached me. That turned to a smile as I knew as a dad, I had done my job well!

Yup, a job well done dad, congratulations to your boy...hopefully he brought you some steaks!

Thanks to everyone taking the time to watch, it means a lot! I don't make any money off these videos but when I hear that they resonate with people on a personal level or change peoples outlook on hunting/hunters it makes all the work that goes into them worth it.

RICKADY
10-23-2020, 07:01 PM
Great post Freezer, yes you get to an age when you start to think a little more about every step you make.
Congrats to you both, Awesome Buck.

Blockcaver
10-23-2020, 07:25 PM
Neat video and congrats to you two! The lack of a nearby water source sure made the hunt a lot harder!

And 57 is young. I've got 11 yrs on Brad and still bowhunt the mountains every year. Packing is tougher but still doable. Hope to go many more years.

tigrr
10-23-2020, 08:27 PM
At over 60 I look up the hillside not down for the animals. It easier to drag down than lug up.

DannyO
10-24-2020, 03:48 PM
Awesome video!

upperleftcoaster
10-24-2020, 07:08 PM
wow that was some gnarly and steep terrain! great job on the video and hunt. i really admired the calm resolve and confidence of your hunting partner, i'm sure you learned a ton. congrats on a nice buck and a great adventure!

45freezer
10-26-2020, 08:43 AM
You guys are true testaments to the statement "you're only as old as you feel," I can only hope I'm still getting after it in the mountains when I'm in my late 60's myself. I've been thinking a lot about making this a yearly thing, Blockcaver you just let me know whenever that pack starts getting tough to shoulder, at 68 you're definitely prime candidate #1!

Appreciate all you guys taking the time to check it out and in no way did I mean to call/make anyone feel "old"...I don't see Brad as old, he's just aging like all of us are and luckily recognized it before getting into a potentially tough situation. He still smokes me in the endurance and cardio department and in my opinion is at a level of fitness that most people in their early 40s could only aspire to reach. I'm sure he has a lot of hunts left in him and hopefully I can pack out a few more bucks for him over the years, I think it's just as rewarding if not more so than carrying out your own kill.

45freezer
10-26-2020, 08:48 AM
wow that was some gnarly and steep terrain! great job on the video and hunt. i really admired the calm resolve and confidence of your hunting partner, i'm sure you learned a ton. congrats on a nice buck and a great adventure!

Ever tried to take a photo of how steep a hill is? Impossible to capture the true grade of the slope, I also only pulled out the camera where it was flat enough for me to stand up without holding on with both hands :lol:

That is something I really admire about Brad as well, no matter how sketchy or tough things get his attitude is very relaxed...it is what it is, just work with it.