PDA

View Full Version : Who’s going hunting this weekend? Going to be great conditions!

Ohwildwon
10-21-2020, 08:44 PM
Should be some snow tracking in October!

Hasn’t happened in region 8 for a while.

Strategy this weekend is to hike down a steep

300 ft towards the valley floor. Then set up

monitoring a bench that I’ve bumped them off

bedding down mid day. I’ll be there 1 1/2 hrs

before sunrise.

Anyone else with plans?

Good luck & stay safe!

Rayne
10-21-2020, 08:48 PM
Headed to 2-12e the Brittain river for my Roosevelt elk draw for 6 days. Never hunted elk so this will be a fun trip. Maybe even shoot a big blacktail deer. Good luck to you!

338win mag
10-21-2020, 08:57 PM
I'm just going to wait until November and try for a 4pt Mule deer, immy Moose, then later in November hang out on the Whitetail ridges and do some scrape watching.:smile:

barry1974w
10-21-2020, 08:58 PM
Night shift all weekend......:(

Arctic Lake
10-21-2020, 09:03 PM
Headed to 3-30 this Sunday for a week . Looking forward to it for sure . Going to be staying in a wall tent with a wood stove, that’s a first for me !
Good Luck all !
Arctic Lake

walks with deer
10-21-2020, 09:15 PM
Headed to 2-12e the Brittain river for my Roosevelt elk draw for 6 days. Never hunted elk so this will be a fun trip. Maybe even shoot a big blacktail deer. Good luck to you!

good luck..

Jagermeister
10-21-2020, 09:20 PM
Bear in mind the weather. Big change coming starting this Thursday.

RICKADY
10-21-2020, 09:37 PM
Day hunt, region 2, been watching this spot, Friday, hoping to connect, bow only place, good luck to all!

twoSevenO
10-21-2020, 09:40 PM
I was in reg 8 in a foot of snow last weekend. What do you mean hasnt happened in a while?

Ohwildwon
10-21-2020, 10:25 PM
I was in reg 8 in a foot of snow last weekend. What do you mean hasnt happened in a while?

Hasnt happened in years dude

338win mag
10-22-2020, 04:33 AM
Post #7 above from Jagermeister should be a warning as we could have 1 ft of snow and wake up to 2 ft. Bring chains if you have them, if not get some...and make sure you don't put yourself in a position whereby you can't get up some hill to get outa there.

I don't remember this amount of snow so early and we could really get dumped on this weekend..play it safe.:wink:

Redthies
10-22-2020, 09:02 AM
I’m staying home to hunt ducks. November is my deer month this year.

marcus44
10-22-2020, 09:26 AM
Gonna try to get my daughter her LEH muley doe

lakelander
10-22-2020, 09:57 AM
Was planning to go to region 3 but my buddy bailed on me. Still might go..just have to be a bit more careful solo with the potential of heavy snowfall. Wanted to hit Placer fsr again but I suspect there's probably too much snow there now.

dmaxtech
10-22-2020, 10:36 AM
Heading up to 5-1 for my sons doe draw.

Rob Chipman
10-22-2020, 11:50 AM
I'm heading out - my wife has a bull LEH to fill and she's absolutely terrified of how nippy it's going to be! :-)

mike31154
10-22-2020, 12:10 PM
Hasnt happened in years dude

23 October 2019 off Hwy 6, Monashee pass area. A good foot of snow I hiked thru to get to a stand at around 1400 meters.
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mwg1_rl7q9MZVsng25nF9ndAYY5FDJqeB-hWIgpferP3WehOKiliaNbl-XN3k0DUNMssfazv69XzrZd59RShoVYBX0OEF42esfl5XNZ0w-bo9FYKKmLdn8dHWj350t5CVgFyEzWcy1ECut0JleocB9nkKFu2 zMAIX2D1dkMy3Ntz5TLVwrtLY3bt9DHQGibfH?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

Ghilliesuit
10-22-2020, 12:23 PM
The weatherman says this is going to be a La Nina year, major snow.

thelongjohnson
10-22-2020, 01:03 PM
Bow only spot in region 2. I have a nice 3x3 blacktail hitting my mineral lick, just gotta be there nice and early!

The Hermit
10-22-2020, 01:09 PM
Health issues, both wife and myself, have kept me off the fields and around home since mid Sept. I'm with you guys in spirit though... good luck, shoot straight, and most of all be safe!

caddisguy
10-22-2020, 01:22 PM
Post #7 above from Jagermeister should be a warning as we could have 1 ft of snow and wake up to 2 ft. Bring chains if you have them, if not get some...and make sure you don't put yourself in a position whereby you can't get up some hill to get outa there.

I don't remember this amount of snow so early and we could really get dumped on this weekend..play it safe.:wink:

Or worse... trying to get out by going down a steep gnarly hill covered in snow or ice. At least going up hill you know that your stuck... down hill sometimes the urge to keep pushing through leaves things to chance. Don't ask me how I know LOL

Looks like it will be around -14C where we will be sleeping in the car. That's a bit nippy!

Aaron600
10-22-2020, 01:25 PM
Will the big bucks still be up above 1600m this weekend reg 8?

albravo2
10-22-2020, 01:51 PM
I wasn't going to go until I read this thread. Now going to go look for deer and bears that can't resist one more snack in Region 3.

Laurp99
10-22-2020, 02:17 PM
Region 3 for week starting this weekend. Will attempt to do my first solo backpack hunt as well! If it's -15C bring it on, I've got the all the hiking gear to be comfortable just about anywhere. Need to get some fresh air and away from people! :D

4 point
10-22-2020, 09:22 PM
Chains, chains and be careful. Hills up or down can be real issues. Get stuck or go off not for me. Need to get the grandson home on time.

Ohwildwon
10-22-2020, 09:55 PM
V bar chains, set of four, your golden in 4 low!

twoSevenO
10-22-2020, 10:24 PM

I doubt it unless you are talking way east of princeton where it is drier?

They have moved down for me below 1800m last week and with the dump expected Friday they will surely move

HarryToolips
10-22-2020, 10:27 PM
Got all the meat I need for the year now but will head out for either a scoutfor moose cause I still want to hunt the spike fork season a bit, or a might try to find a big WT...and I still have to top up my firewood shed so I'll be hunting for wood...

Ohwildwon
10-22-2020, 11:19 PM
If your camping unheated Saturday night,

remember to protect your water from freezing!

Water bottle in your sleeping bag for example...

caddisguy
10-23-2020, 08:24 AM
If your camping unheated Saturday night,

remember to protect your water from freezing!

Water bottle in your sleeping bag for example...

I was just joking with caddisgirl that we should put our beef jerky in the cooler to make sure it doesn't freeze LOL

Well, I thought it was funny :)

lakelander
10-23-2020, 08:34 AM
Careful out there guys..snow coming down pretty much everywhere. Anyone know if Placer fsr is still ok to drive up? Saw some bucks around 23km up the road that I'd like to meet :)

jac
10-23-2020, 08:39 AM
The roads are very bad here in the okanagan at the moment!!

Ron.C
10-23-2020, 08:43 AM
Supposed to get some in the Reg 1 higher elevations.

Right on the cusp of the rut, big front moving in, snow up high. Anyone serious about getting a nice backcountry blacktail buck should be heading up into the hills !!!

Jagermeister
10-23-2020, 04:42 PM
If you're going to boogaloo in the backwoods, You better carry a set of chains with you. The road is the southern interior are going to be snotty this weekend.

ab3
10-23-2020, 04:53 PM
Outside osoyoos (anarchist hill area) snow was coming down about an inch an hour. It is no joke at the moment. Be careful. Snowies and possibly chains would be a good idea.

jac
10-23-2020, 05:21 PM
The highway is better now but the roads were horrible this morning. Still snowing here valley bottom

tracker
10-23-2020, 05:37 PM
the sled is in the truck !! good luck

whognu
10-23-2020, 06:52 PM
Last minute weekend trip.....headed up the canyon to cache creek

roads clear

will try to close the deal on another tree tomorrow morning

fingers crossed

xoxo

chris

RICKADY
10-23-2020, 07:06 PM
My friday hunt is over, notta to report, might convince the wife that i need to go again this weekend, i am retired you know, even if its been only two weeks,
Good luck and drive safe all.

RyoTHC
10-23-2020, 07:53 PM
Three hours out tonight, saw more white tail and mule deer tonight than the rest of the season combined... heavy snow really gets them moving !!

HighCountryBC
10-23-2020, 08:09 PM

Most years you'll find the big bucks pushing belly deep snow before they come down, if they do at all. Been a part of some winter inventory flights the last few years and the amount of deer seen in the subalpine at treeline in January has made me reconsider some things.

With this early snow, I think you'll find deer congregating at low-mid elevation traditional winter range a lot more. Exciting times for a muley hunter.

whognu
10-23-2020, 08:09 PM
Three hours out tonight, saw more white tail and mule deer tonight than the rest of the season combined... heavy snow really gets them moving !!

wooooooooooooo........giddy-up

Ohwildwon
10-23-2020, 08:10 PM
Saw the remains of two new F350’s

that had a head on this afternoon,

driving through Manning park with on my way

Princeton. Roads weren’t to bad,

obviously someone was going to fast.

RyoTHC
10-23-2020, 08:19 PM
wooooooooooooo........giddy-up

Saw bucks chasing each other, little 4pt with his nose glued to the ground wandering aimlessly... slowly but surely things are heating up, this snow could be a blessing for a lot of hunters ! Get out there and take advantage of it ladies and gentleman

whognu
10-23-2020, 08:24 PM
Saw bucks chasing each other, little 4pt with his nose glued to the ground wandering aimlessly... slowly but surely things are heating up, this snow could be a blessing for a lot of hunters ! Get out there and take advantage of it ladies and gentleman

let me re-phrase..........

WWWwWWWWwOOOOOOO!!!!!

all posted up in a cache creek motel......game just over

5:30 can’t come fast enough

Ohwildwon
10-23-2020, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE=whognu;2205567]let me re-phrase..........

WWWwWWWWwOOOOOOO!!!!!

all posted up in a cache creek motel......game just over
5:30 can’t come fast enough[/QUOT

Sitting in front of a maple wood fire

1600ft above the Similkameen River.

Yep 5:30 am can’t come fast enough!

Just below zero up here and stopped snowing 2 hours ago

whognu
10-24-2020, 07:00 PM
great hike today

23 does

3 bucks

one down

no trees

sitting by a big ass fir fire waiting for it to cool down

and a lucky Lager

just one

xo

Arctic Lake
10-24-2020, 07:51 PM
HBC still has a great bunch of fellas on here just look at all the well wishing going on !
Arctic Lake

Ohwildwon
10-24-2020, 09:25 PM
Hay all, seeing tons of activity at the 3600 ft level!

Low part of region 8.

This is Hunting!

Having a blast doing some crazy elevation changes!

Paid off ��

Ohwildwon
10-24-2020, 09:47 PM
I was just joking with caddisgirl that we should put our beef jerky in the cooler to make sure it doesn't freeze LOL
:)
Well, I thought it was funny :)

-15c

when your cooler becomes your solarium 8)

-8c 3600 ft above the Similkameen as we speak,

somewhere Between Princeton and Keremeos

Beaver Skin
10-24-2020, 10:17 PM
Was planning on going out for the weekend but thought it may be a bit much for my kids who wanted to come...they are still pretty young.

Took two of them out locally and got a couple of ducks instead!

ccrcc
10-24-2020, 11:24 PM
congrats to all who connected!
it was weird, a usual dead ringer muley october spot in 8-12 was a bust. not even a sniff of a deer. 30cm of snow...

decker9
10-25-2020, 08:55 AM
My lady and I got out for 2 of the 3 day moose gos, I gotta say, in my 30+ years of time spent on the trapline, Iv never seen moose sign like what we see. I don’t know if it’s no guides, no leh, or the wolf cull that went on near by, or the big snow from 2 years ago (killed off many wolves), but it’s no doubt, in the area, the moose have come back, in numbers.
On the last evening of the last day, carolbear83 (she signs on once in a while) made a text book shot with her new to her .308 browning micro medallion! Gotta love a gal who knows how to getter dun :), we will be eating well again, this winter.

https://i.postimg.cc/G8Rn8QKh/29304-E04-A2-F7-42-C1-AD9-E-766-DEC2-AA0-C1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/G8Rn8QKh)

HarryToolips
10-25-2020, 02:13 PM
^^^^^well done on the moose, glad to hear they're doing well....

I went out yesterday and saw some WT but don't want to shoot an antlerless unless it's with my recurve...

lakelander
10-26-2020, 11:41 AM
Went to Princeton area on the weekend. Boy was it ever busy at Whipsaw. Hunter groups on every corner. Only saw one group with a buck on Sunday. Lots of snow but we came home empty handed. Going somewhere Thursday to Saturday, still deciding where. Anyone have any luck?

Rob Chipman
10-26-2020, 12:08 PM
Started high up west of Clinton (probably 5,000', so not super high) - lots of snow, colds as can be (big fire Friday night!)

Two weeks ago we were crunching through this area in T-shirts and found nothing but moose and deer sign. Saw a calf and cow and bumped some does and saw a bunch more.

Now? Nothing. Fresh snow, cold as can be, no tracks in the woods, no tracks crossing the road, no beds, nothing.

Walked a couple miles back in the woods, still nothing.

Dropped elevation a bit. Still no good. Hit another area where we found sign during early October. No good.

Feeling a bit like a potential vegetarian we dropped down even further. I had a new hunter with me and figured I better show him some deer, so we went down to the rancher's field. No shortage of does, and no shortage of sheep - even one ram that looked like a shooter. No bucks, and it's private alfalfa fields anyway.

But...we started finding all kinds of sign. Later that afternoon found a couple two pointers in the sagebrush/pine transition and connected! Got them cleaned and back to camp, hung them up and skinned them and then had dinner and hit the hay.

-20 overnight. Frozen solid! Way easier to handle a frozen deer ;-)

Question we speculated on: both bucks were very similar in size and antlers, and #2 didn't want to leave in a big hurry when #1 hit the deck. That made us wonder - were they hanging around because they were brothers? Tough to determine, obviously, but anyone have any insight on that?

ab3
10-26-2020, 02:48 PM
How are the fsr roads up around osoyoos and oliver? Wondering if there's been a thaw and freeze yet or if it is all still nice and soft.

Golddust
10-26-2020, 04:48 PM
How are the fsr roads up around osoyoos and oliver? Wondering if there's been a thaw and freeze yet or if it is all still nice and soft.

Was up around Princeton yesterday - had to help a guy who's trailer slid off the side of the logging road at least escape with his truck. Freeze thaw was brutal lower down couldn't even walk on the stuff. Thank god we found our chains the night before or it would have been a no go. Saw a bunch of guys ripping up at the start of the day without chains... I wonder how they made out coming down.

Not sure what its looking like around Oliver/Osoyoos but if it is anything like what we experienced I'd go very well prepared.

ab3
10-26-2020, 05:25 PM
Was up around Princeton yesterday - had to help a guy who's trailer slid off the side of the logging road at least escape with his truck. Freeze thaw was brutal lower down couldn't even walk on the stuff. Thank god we found our chains the night before or it would have been a no go. Saw a bunch of guys ripping up at the start of the day without chains... I wonder how they made out coming down.

Not sure what its looking like around Oliver/Osoyoos but if it is anything like what we experienced I'd go very well prepared.

Ok, good to know. Thanks for the info

jac
10-26-2020, 07:51 PM
Lots of snow in region 8-1 over the weekend mostly on last Friday it’s pretty deep

Bugle M In
10-27-2020, 12:15 AM
Started high up west of Clinton (probably 5,000', so not super high) - lots of snow, colds as can be (big fire Friday night!)

Two weeks ago we were crunching through this area in T-shirts and found nothing but moose and deer sign. Saw a calf and cow and bumped some does and saw a bunch more.

Now? Nothing. Fresh snow, cold as can be, no tracks in the woods, no tracks crossing the road, no beds, nothing.

Walked a couple miles back in the woods, still nothing.

Dropped elevation a bit. Still no good. Hit another area where we found sign during early October. No good.

Feeling a bit like a potential vegetarian we dropped down even further. I had a new hunter with me and figured I better show him some deer, so we went down to the rancher's field. No shortage of does, and no shortage of sheep - even one ram that looked like a shooter. No bucks, and it's private alfalfa fields anyway.

But...we started finding all kinds of sign. Later that afternoon found a couple two pointers in the sagebrush/pine transition and connected! Got them cleaned and back to camp, hung them up and skinned them and then had dinner and hit the hay.

-20 overnight. Frozen solid! Way easier to handle a frozen deer ;-)

Question we speculated on: both bucks were very similar in size and antlers, and #2 didn't want to leave in a big hurry when #1 hit the deck. That made us wonder - were they hanging around because they were brothers? Tough to determine, obviously, but anyone have any insight on that?
Never thought about it that way.
I suppose they could be or have just spent the better part of the summer together and the other didnt know any better.
I remember seeing a Documentary on great whites.
And yes, 2 brothers (twins due to identical markings) did swim together and they were in their teen years, so guess they were doing it for some time.
So yup, could be possible.

LBM
10-27-2020, 05:25 AM
My lady and I got out for 2 of the 3 day moose gos, I gotta say, in my 30+ years of time spent on the trapline, Iv never seen moose sign like what we see. I don’t know if it’s no guides, no leh, or the wolf cull that went on near by, or the big snow from 2 years ago (killed off many wolves), but it’s no doubt, in the area, the moose have come back, in numbers.
On the last evening of the last day, carolbear83 (she signs on once in a while) made a text book shot with her new to her .308 browning micro medallion! Gotta love a gal who knows how to getter dun :), we will be eating well again, this winter.

https://i.postimg.cc/G8Rn8QKh/29304-E04-A2-F7-42-C1-AD9-E-766-DEC2-AA0-C1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/G8Rn8QKh)

Cool Congrats to your wife and you. May just be the picture angle but the left antler sure looks thick/heavy, you think this was just a 2 year old or some thing older.

RICKADY
10-27-2020, 09:55 AM
Great looking threesome there.
But what is the wife looking at? Not the camera.
Congrats

cameron0518
10-27-2020, 10:41 AM
The bucks are moving good in Princeton. My coworker and his camp bagged 3 in 5 days. Nothing big but puts meat in their freezers. Two out of three were taken by getting off the roads by only a couple hundred yards.

marcus44
10-27-2020, 01:27 PM
My daughter got her leh muley doe http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8134&stc=1

Huntingtyler123
10-27-2020, 02:14 PM
Awesome congrats

boilerroom
10-27-2020, 02:24 PM
My daughter got her leh muley doe http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8134&stc=1

Good for her! You'll have some delicious eating.

ab3
10-27-2020, 03:42 PM

Love that. Cant wait to do the same with mine :)

decker9
10-27-2020, 04:24 PM
Cool Congrats to your wife and you. May just be the picture angle but the left antler sure looks thick/heavy, you think this was just a 2 year old or some thing older.

Thank you, I kinda thought it was a 2 year old, we never weighed it but I’d guess 300-350 lbs dressed.

todbartell
10-27-2020, 05:27 PM
I was successful!

https://i.imgur.com/bfWla3Q.jpg

cameron0518
10-27-2020, 05:27 PM

Nice job! That spot looks familiar

BeerMan
10-27-2020, 05:38 PM
I was successful!

Nice! Grouse have been slim pickens this year:smile:

Rieber
10-27-2020, 06:33 PM

Wow - that's a nice plump one.

Birds look pretty damn good as well. More grouse in your hands than I've seem all season.

Mulehahn
10-27-2020, 08:58 PM
I was late getting out, couldn't leave til late Saturday morning so decided to hit my old haunts in Region 3. Got to where I used to go (hunted region 5 for last few years) for late afternoon hunt. Found lots of tracks but all heading down lower. Got up Sunday and hit low, nothing so know they in middle. Monday morning was a bust but Monday afternoon found the does. Busted 3 on drive up drive to spot and just kept seeing them, left and right, just standing in clear cuts, real healthy population. But no bucks. Oh well, that a wrap for this trip. Had to go to property today and back to work Thursday.

Just got off a phone with a buddy, 3 for 5 on the Afternoon hunt in the same area I was seeing the does. A couple of forks but 1 nice 5x4. Guess they liked +4 over -20. Hope everyone else was able to hold out til things turned around.

HarryToolips
10-28-2020, 06:42 AM
Well done congrats to you and your daughter, great to see the kids having success....

ab3
10-31-2020, 12:03 PM
Quick update for osoyoos, oliver to rock creek area roads. Main roads are all good. No snow to speak of. Higher elevation fsr's still have a decent amount of snow (8 inches?) and it's a bit rutted out but manageable. Especially good during the day as higher temps and sun keep things melting. Evenings have been freezing everything, including the roads so I'd say travel in and out while the sun is out if you can.

boilerroom
10-31-2020, 12:59 PM
thanks ab3 - appreciate the info. I think the area you described is whitetail country, yes? Are folks successful still hunting for whitetails, or is it an ambush type of hunting?

ab3
10-31-2020, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=boilerroom;2206985]thanks ab3 - appreciate the info. I think the area you described is whitetail country, yes? Are folks successful still hunting for whitetails,

'Tis whitetail country. Although having said that I've seen a total of 3 in about 5 days of hunting for them, but I am nowhere near an expert.
I'd say ambush hunting for sure, especially given how crunchy and/it squeaky the snow can be.

Arctic Lake
11-03-2020, 02:00 PM
Next generation coming along nicely . Congrats to her !
Arctic Lake

Bugle M In
11-03-2020, 05:32 PM
Yes, definitely a congrats and great to see the young ones coming up.
Proud Dad i Bet!!!!