PDA

View Full Version : Helmer mountain moose

Bike,hunt,fish n sleep
10-20-2020, 12:16 PM
I’m going hunting for a spike bull at the beginning of November at helmer mountain. I have a few questions.
1.) Has anyone had any luck around there in recent years?
2.) Are spike forks a pretty rare sight?
3.) Is it worth hiking into trails or should we spend more time in the side by side on logging roads?
4.) We also will shoot a deer if we see one, any tips about that.
5.) Should we also have our shotgun for bears, or is pepper spray enough?
6.) how popular is the area?
7.) is there much logging action?

* this is a general open season hunt all our leh hunts are over*
thank you for any input you have

RyoTHC
10-20-2020, 12:28 PM
What, no joke ?
you must have forgot to read the rules.

Harvest the Land
10-20-2020, 02:54 PM
1) No
2) Yes - you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than seeing a Spiker
3) You will not have a chance of shooting any moose from a side by side
4) Use a smaller caliber than you would for moose & 150gr TTSX
5) Buy a bear tag and put that delicious berry meat in your freezer!!!!
6) Its probably the BUSIEST or one of the busiest hunting areas in Region 3
7) They basically levelled the entire area to salvage pine beetle kill about 8 years ago - pretty awful to see, but lots of food for ungulates

4 point
10-20-2020, 03:36 PM
I know I am getting older, but really 2nd post and all this.

Spikers are hard to find period. Right place, right time then you have to confirm it’s a legal spiker before you even try to shoot. A lot of things have to come together for one to take one. Good luck!

quadrakid
10-20-2020, 03:45 PM
I am going to assume you are pretty new to hunting,asking questions is a good idea. Hopefully you get some answers your looking for.

You will be hunting in November during the deer rut. You would be better off focusing on deer hunting and keeping your eyes peeled for the elusive spike fork moose.

You will be carrying a high powered rifle which is all you need for bears. Nothing wrong with carrying some bear spray that is accessible in a hurry.

Good luck,hope you drop something.

Rob Chipman
10-20-2020, 04:21 PM
My experience with November moose is that they're trying to recover some weight lost during the rut. If you hammer one from a side by side count yourself very lucky.

Also, spikes in R3 are generally said to be mythical - not exactly my experience, but the ones I've seen have been well off the road and well off the logging slash. I'd say your best chance of finding them is to find a high point that overlooks great moose habitat and hope the moose you end up seeing is a baby bull. Tough to sneak up on them in the swamp.

Your mileage may vary.

cameron0518
10-20-2020, 05:15 PM
Hilarious. Good luck on your hunt

tuner
10-20-2020, 06:32 PM
Be prepared for a lot of competition, especially from FN,and they are not governed by the same rules.