PDA

View Full Version : Watched my first 4point mulie run out of the country..

Huntingtyler123
10-19-2020, 06:55 AM
Was outside of Lillooet this weekend with my bow. Had to go up to the farm and help out but I got out each morning. I was in this spot with fresh rubs everywhere. I hiked in in the dark and setup. Waiting and waiting I started to hear bucks fighting about 60yards away through the bush, I couldn’t see anything. I keep up super slow, sage brush and pine cone city. I made it about 20 yards closer , still not able to see them. At this point I decide to stay put and fight the urge to creep up. Eventually they start to get closer to me and I start to see their bodies through the bushes but can’t see their antlers.
THEN this doe appears out of thin air to my left and sees me , just staring at me for what seems like forever. Please go away please go away lol. She decides to spook and run off towards the bucks that I still haven’t really seen.
I see this nice tall and narrow 2 point buck run up the hill that was in front of us. Thinking to myself this sucks! Where’s the other buck?
I see more movement and this buck is trotting off the opposite way and to my huge surprise it was a 4x4 buck! First one I’ve ever seen and I was 40-50 yards away! Had no shot opportunity. I watched him leave through my Bono’s up and over this little ridge and he just kept on going. Was the saddest thing I’ve ever seen in my life. I was shocked hahaha
so close but yet so far!

thought to share this because it was my first time watching a big buck run off and I’m sure I’m not alone lol.
40 yards is the most I’d ever shoot with my compound bow by the way.
on my way out I see a small two point, this time at 40yards away but straight down a bank. I decided to pass on the shot mostly because I wasn’t comfortable with that type of shot and didn’t want to accidentally wound him with a bad hit.

was I fun weekend out! Snow line was low already and some snow on the Duffy already too.

45freezer
10-19-2020, 07:52 AM
Good on you for passing up a marginal shot opportunity, keep at it and a better one will always present itself.

juiceterboost
10-19-2020, 08:02 AM
Good on you for passing up the poor shot opportunity. Just keep at it, those bucks will not have gone far.

weatherby_man
10-19-2020, 08:20 AM
I have seen a few of those behinds running away over the years :? LOL.... It kind of hurts but it is great seeing them and knowing they (and bigger) are lurking about.

GEF
10-19-2020, 08:21 AM
Some times those are the hunts you remember most.Savor it, good on you for not making a marginal shot. There will be more opportunity in the future and karma will shine on you.

Huntingtyler123
10-19-2020, 11:47 AM
Thanks everyone. It definitely sucked at the time watching him leave but was tons of fun non the less

mike31154
10-19-2020, 12:52 PM
Yeh, I remember my 1st season stalking a buck down a cut block until he decided enough is enough & high tailed. I was so stoked just trying to get close enough for a shot, rifle not bow. Had him lined up once too, but didn't pull the trigger as I wasn't confident of a clean kill or whether it was a whitetail or mulie with enough points. Whitetail would have been ok since it was any buck. Light was fading as it was dusk. Quite an adrenaline rush for a rookie. I have yet to harvest a deer after 4-5 seasons now, but that 1st year encounter stays with me like the day it happened.

jimzuk
10-19-2020, 09:38 PM
I love bow hunting. It’s so much more challenging than a rifle. Good choice not taking a shot you were not confident on. Sounds like you have a good spot. Be patient and you will get the opportunity for a shot