PDA

View Full Version : canning venison how to ?

butthead
10-19-2020, 04:41 AM
first time canning venison
any one with experience doing it
and any tips suggestions to help a guy out
don't forget to leave directions to your honey holes also

338win mag
10-19-2020, 05:19 AM
Pressure canner?...go easy on the spices as they seem to really come out when canned.

ryanhuntslots
10-19-2020, 10:59 AM
I have canned alot of deer/moose/elk, You have to use a pressure canner for sure, Boil jars, fill with meat previously browned in a pan, cover with beef broth, kosher salt on top, pressure cook/can as per internet, enjoy for years. add chilli peppers to a couple of the jars for some spiciness.

Ron.C
10-19-2020, 11:01 AM
mmmm. brings back allot of tasty memories of the bottled moose the Newfie's used to bring into work.

MRP
10-19-2020, 12:45 PM
Have caned roast, hamburger patties, meat balls and grouse. Seer all red meat. Grouse can get dry, add some chicken fat even the skin off a chicken breast makes it more moist.

butthead
10-19-2020, 08:19 PM
thanks guys some really good ideas
i have a power pressure cooker and
from what i am reading they don't advise
canning meat.
was really looking forward to stroganoff
so looks like i wont be doing it this year

Buchaneer
11-02-2020, 10:06 AM
I have been canning moose/deer for years. I use my Dad's technique (since the 1950's in NL). Place a little cubed salt pork and onion in the bottom of your jar. (I have never used cans) Add your cubed meat...don't pack to loose as meat will shrink. Before putting the lid on add a couple more cubes of salt pork, onion and salt. (The salt pork adds a little flavour and much needed fat for the lean meat). You can then cook in a hot water boil canner for 4 hours, or if you have a pressure canner you can do it for 90 minutes. Very tasty. It will last for years in jars like this. Can be used as a soup base, or the way we like it best is to heat it in a frying pan and place between fresh buttered buns. (My mouth it watering even as I type this...now I know what I am having for lunch today.)

decker9
11-02-2020, 10:24 AM
I have been canning moose/deer for years. I use my Dad's technique (since the 1950's in NL). Place a little cubed salt pork and onion in the bottom of your jar. (I have never used cans) Add your cubed meat...don't pack to loose as meat will shrink. Before putting the lid on add a couple more cubes of salt pork, onion and salt. (The salt pork adds a little flavour and much needed fat for the lean meat). You can then cook in a hot water boil canner for 4 hours, or if you have a pressure canner you can do it for 90 minutes. Very tasty. It will last for years in jars like this. Can be used as a soup base, or the way we like it best is to heat it in a frying pan and place between fresh buttered buns. (My mouth it watering even as I type this...now I know what I am having for lunch today.)

We’r going to be canning some moose here soon, I like the salt pork idea!! Going to give it a try with a few cans.

Do you fry the salt pork first?

Sorry I’m of no help to the original poster, this will be my learning shot as well.

jlirot
11-02-2020, 10:24 AM
I canned 13 quarts of venison this year. I have received cans from friends but this was my first foray.

You MUST use a pressure canner! And, the electric ones are not recommended. Google will give you lots of recipes and times for canning. I looked at enough recipes to tell you that they're pretty consistent and you should be able to find what you need easily.

My recipe was to add diced carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. I also put 1/2 cube of beef bullion and a little salt and pepper in each jar.

For some jars I browned the meat first. It's a fair bit of work but I think I like it a little better. It helps reduce the amount of fat in the jar after canning. Apparently the fat can go rancid in the jar and so lessens the shelf life.

But, just 'raw packing' is a lot easier! So, I'm kinda on the fence about which I prefer.

The result is amazing. I can just eat it out of the jar - it's that good.

Someone gave me some good advice some years ago about canning venison. Make sure you take the time to remove as much fat and gristle as you can. It makes for a much nicer final product.

warnniklz
11-02-2020, 10:55 AM
When I think of canned animal meat (that's not fish), two thoughts come to mind...

1 - Spam and similar products which I am not a fan of...

2 - Chunks of boiled gray meat...

but I've also have come to what I hope is a more realistic thought of "It'll just be like sous vide meat" or "should be the same as a slow cooker"...

Which has me asking "could one put all the ingredients for a fine barbecue sauce or say a taco seasoning and have is just waiting to be heated and eated?

jlirot
11-02-2020, 10:58 AM
Yes you could.

When I think of canned animal meat (that's not fish), two thoughts come to mind...

1 - Spam and similar products which I am not a fan of...

2 - Chunks of boiled gray meat...

but I've also have come to what I hope is a more realistic thought of "It'll just be like sous vide meat" or "should be the same as a slow cooker"...

Which has me asking "could one put all the ingredients for a fine barbecue sauce or say a taco seasoning and have is just waiting to be heated and eated?

ccrcc
11-02-2020, 07:17 PM
use a gas range or electric coil type. dont use a ceramic range as it could break...

tigrr
11-02-2020, 07:34 PM
The tannin's in deer would make it un-editable for me. Fresh only or sausage.

sparkes3
11-02-2020, 07:47 PM
As buccaneer said
water bath or pressure cooker pick your choice and can away.
you do not HAVE to use pressure cooker.
I have canned and eaten hundreds if not thousands of bottles of moose deer rabbit salmon done by water bath and I’m fine.
if you take a bottle and the lid is popped up throw it out, maybe seen this a half a dozen times in my 47 years.
make sure you wipe the rim of the bottles before you put the lids on , and nothing touching the lid.

butthead
11-02-2020, 07:49 PM
We’r going to be canning some moose here soon, I like the salt pork idea!! Going to give it a try with a few cans.

Do you fry the salt pork first?

Sorry I’m of no help to the original poster, this will be my learning shot as well.

no worries its all about helping each other out

two-feet
11-02-2020, 08:14 PM
My family has been jarring moose for generations, i assume it started with the water bath but now in the pressure cooker. Nothing like a 1/2 pint jar on the dash of the truck getting warm from the heater. Next time i will try the salt pork and onions

Retiredguy
11-02-2020, 11:46 PM
We have been canning moose, etc for many years and it is excellent. Nice to see it being discussed as a lot of hunters I have talked to seem to think canning meat is a bad idea because of crap they read on the internet. Follow the instructions and you won't have any grief.

Another thing I like to do is make up a huge pot of meat sauce and can it in quarts. Super great way to turn out almost instant meals like spaghetti with meat sauce, sloppy Joe's, etc. as well as a quick way to prepare lasagna and stick them in the oven. Cuts the prep time in half. You can even make chilli and stews and can them. Instant meals, just heat and eat. :)

SR80
11-03-2020, 06:35 AM
mmm i canned cubed deer meat once years ago, its was awesome.

Panzerfauste
11-03-2020, 08:15 AM
Like others have pointed out, its not just grey mushy deer meat. Its whatever you want it to be! Pulled barbecque deer meat ready for sandwiches, taco filling, your own homemade chunky soups/stews, stroganoff, etc!

These meals are excellent for hunting trips too! No thinking or preparing meals after a long days hunt, just heat it up in 5min and eat