PDA

View Full Version : Questions for all-candidates debates

kitnayakwa77
10-14-2020, 01:24 PM
Hi, just posting a couple questions I submitted to the all-candidates debates. I am not overly optimistic that what a politician or prospective politician says can be trusted, I think my main intent to try and draw attention to some of the concerns that many have about wildlife management and public access.

Feel free to copy and ask your prospective candidates the same questions.

1) British Columbia is blessed with a biodiversity of species of fish and wildlife that is unmatched elsewhere in North America.

These species are relied upon by people from all walks of life for many different reasons: social, cultural, economic, nature appreciation, food, traditional uses, etc. Unfortunately, in recent history we have seen many key species decline in distribution and population in this province; primarily due to human encroachment / habitat loss and degradation. Species such as mountain caribou, Chilcotin and Thompson River steelhead, Skeena salmon, and central interior moose populations have declined dramatically in recent years. British Columbia as a province allocates a miniscule amount of the provincial budget to science-based fish and wildlife management; in fact for many years BC's budget for fish and wildlife management has been less than almost any other province or state in North America.

If elected, what will each respective candidate do to ensure that increased, dedicated funding for science-based fish and wildlife management is made a political priority?

2) In recent years, conflict has grown between indigenous and non-indigenous communities that both rely on fish and wildlife species for social, cultural and food uses. We have seen this recently in Northwest BC with blockades along the Cassiar Highway, and conflict along the Skeena River during the salmon fishing season, which are just a few examples. What will each respective candidate do to begin to address this growing tension and conflict in a way that is fair and equitable, and what will each candidate do to ensure funding is dedicated to action and implement the "Together for Wildlife Strategy" penned by the current government?