PDA

View Full Version : eberlstocke packs

sealevel
10-22-2007, 05:41 AM
If anyone is interrested WSS in kamloops is stocking them.

bighornbob
10-22-2007, 09:15 AM
I saw them a few weeks ago. They have the J104, the Gunslinger, the X-1 and the Barta Stalker. I ordered a J107 in mid July and have used it a few times and love it. In my opinion it is twice the bag of the J104. If your looking at getting one of the "JustOne" packs seriously consider spending the extra money and get the J107.

BHB

Brambles
10-22-2007, 09:19 AM
BHB how's the weight on that pack, the website seems a little heavy but its weight is sometimes a perceived thing, how do you feel is it a heavy pack or ??????

Stone Sheep Steve
10-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Just ordered the J107 myself. Won't be leaving any of my survival items behind again:redface:.
I love the way it compacts down when the pack isn't full. Looks like a medium sized day pack until the volume is required.

SSS

bighornbob
10-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Brambles

The pack is not that heavy, I think its listed at about 8.5 pounds. Like SSS said the pack feels and fits like a good day pack but can open up if you need to pack something out. I used mine for my 10 dall hunt and packed all my gear without any complaints by me.

When your up in November, stop by and grab it for a hunt and try it out. I was able to try one out before I bought it and thats what sold me. You also have to see one in person, I took mine over to SSS's house for him to see and the next thing you know another piece of his gear is going to be hidden from the wife:smile:

BHB

Marc
10-22-2007, 12:10 PM
I've got the J107 and I'm just trying to figure out were to put everything. Did you have your sleeping bag in the main compartment and the rest of the stuff in the spike camp duffle? I've got the sleep pad attached to the bottom of the pack.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-22-2007, 12:54 PM
I've got the J107 and I'm just trying to figure out were to put everything. Did you have your sleeping bag in the main compartment and the rest of the stuff in the spike camp duffle? I've got the sleep pad attached to the bottom of the pack.

Depends on your sleeping bag. My new bag is about 1/4-1/3 the size of my old bag. Makes a world of difference!
No matter what pack you have there's never enough space(unless you've got a Barney!). Another purchase down the road:frown:.

SSS

daycort
10-22-2007, 01:04 PM
i love looking at cool hunting stuff

does anybody have a link to the websites for these packs(J107,barney).

bighornbob
10-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Eberlestock packs

http://www.eberlestock.com/

Marc, I had my sleeping bag, tent, 2.5lb bag of salt, 3-4 packs of dehydrated food, fuel canister, stove and pot, bag of 20 granola bars, bag of 20 instant oatmeals and probably some extra cloths in the main compartment. I also carried an extra 2 litres of water in there becuase I did not know if there would be water handy on the hike in. The duffel carried 6-7 more packs of food, rain gear, extra cloths, couple bags of jerky and I am sure some extra stuff.

Off the top of my head here is where I carried other items.

The pocket under the hydration pocket carried my digital camera. I found even with a loaded pack, I could still reach in there and get my camera without having to take the pack off. Word of caution though, the pocket is not completely sealed from the above pocket so water leaking from your hydration bag will collect in this bottom pack. And since it is basically water proof the water pools in there. This happened to me this past weekend, the lid on my hydration bag became loose and everytime I drank, I assume some water leaked out. I went to take the pack off and the bottom pocket was cold. I looked inside and there was 1 cm of water pooled in the bottom. Luckily I forgot my camera at home and the pocket was empty. On my trip up north I carried my camera in a ziplock but had no issues with water leaking down.

The two long pockets on each side carried my spotter and tripod (one on each side) and whatever else was long and narror (folding bone saw etc). Water purifying drops were also stored here and numerous other things.

Pocket on the outside of the long pocket was used to carrying my walking poles. they easliy slip in and the top side compression belt holds them securely in place.

The padded key pocket held my keys (two), GPS and head lamp.

The main compartment on the top flap held, extra ammo, binos when not needed (trekking through the trees), extra straps, and other stuff.

The pocket under the main flap pockets held garbage bags, meat bags, map, sat phone, small pad of paper and pencil. Important note: Take off the battery from the Sat phone if your carrying just the phone with no protective cover. It almost cost me:redface:

Sleeping foamy was strapped to the bottom outside.

Hope that kind of helps you out.

BHB

calvin L
10-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Steve & Bob I still beleeve you are doing it wrong THE HORSE PACKS ALL THE GEAR IN & OUT :razz: I have been able to see bhb pack and I would like to see the badlands 4500 also but I would be leaning toward the j107 if it is anything like bl 2800

Stone Sheep Steve
10-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Sounds like we can takes GG's new shitters:mrgreen: and they won't be too far away from you Calvin. Maybe GG will give us an extra set of keys:smile:.

Barney's packs
http://www.barneyssports.com/category.jsp?depid=2&catid=88

SSS

calvin L
10-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Steve I see you have listed the barneys pack a couple of time now what is the difference between the WW and barney's ?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-22-2007, 08:25 PM
While I love the design of the WW, there's no comparison in the workmanship. The stitching and zippers are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy superior in the Barneys.
If I could somehow get a Barney's bag and suspension system on a WW wrap around frame, I would have the ultimate pack:cool:(at least for me).

SSS

WoodOx
10-22-2007, 09:03 PM
I can vouch for the barneys pack. Tis exellent and ultra tough!

boxhitch
10-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Not putting down anyones choices.....but.......
It seems the granola crowd can get by just fine, in conditions that would make some hunters whimper, with brand name packs from Kelty, Lowe, arcteryx, etc.
Just shows that hunting is far more important than cliff hanging or winter mountaineering.

GoatGuy
10-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Steve & Bob I still beleeve you are doing it wrong THE HORSE PACKS ALL THE GEAR IN & OUT :razz:

Now there's a thought - work smarter not harder!

I think I'll probably buy a nice light day pack that can carry the fresh veggies, crackers and cheese that will be getting packed up the mountain!

Freeze dried = emergency situations! Should be able to cut the toilet paper rations down by atleast 80%. :mrgreen:

Kirby
10-23-2007, 12:47 AM
When your up in November, stop by and grab it for a hunt and try it out. I was able to try one out before I bought it and thats what sold me. You also have to see one in person, I took mine over to SSS's house for him to see and the next thing you know another piece of his gear is going to be hidden from the wife:smile:

BHB
completely agree. BHB was nice enough to let me look at his pack and play with it for a while after taking a look at BHB this pack is on my list of things to get before next season for sure.

Kirby

daycort
10-23-2007, 01:27 PM
i have been looking at the J107 on the net and it is recieving very high views. I just can't find a pic on how the frame is. can someone fill me in on the frame set? It looks like it might be like the badlands internal frame. Does the rifle scabard when a rifle in it bother your pack set. a gun in the middle of your spine would not be very comfortable. And lastly is the J107 big enough for a 10 day sheep/goat hunt without the spike bag?
thanks in advance.

daycort
10-23-2007, 03:55 PM
could someone please post some pics of the J107. Some pics of the actual pack. front and back, sides, inside. a look at the frame. Greatly appreciated:razz:

bighornbob
10-23-2007, 04:09 PM
I posted some pics on this thread.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15057&highlight=eberlestock

BHB

daycort
10-23-2007, 04:23 PM
thanks BHB. Do you have a pic of the back(shoulder straps padding mesh cooling system).

Stone Sheep Steve
10-23-2007, 06:04 PM
I ordered mine on the 16th and it's already here. Not bad with a weekend crammed in there. Too bad I missed the delivery today:-(.

SSS

bighornbob
10-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Daycourt, here are some more pics.

This is the back of the pack, with the main zipper starting to be undone. The zipper basically compresses the back so that the side pockets are then on the back. You can see the openings of each side pocket. The pockets go the full length of the pack. The thing on the bottom right is the bottom of the scabbard. It folds up if not needed.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_0092.jpg

This is the back with the zipper undone and the pack opened up. As you can see the back is a heavy duty mesh. You asked about not using the spike camp duffel for a trip, without the duffel you would have to purchase the back panel to zip in to make it weather proof. For the extra 15 bucks, you might as well get the spike camp duffel (25 bucks). The spike camp duffel zips into place with the zipper of the duffel on the inside (hence you cant acces stuff in it with it zipped to the pack). The new Super Spike camp duffle (40 bucks or something) has the zipper on the outside so you dont have to remove it to access stuff inside.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_006.jpg

This is the top of the pack. The black part is the hole for the scabbard. As you can see it is not in the middle of your back but to one side. You do not even feel the gun when its in the scabbard. One thing I noticed is that when the gun is in, the barrel extends (in the piece I talked about in the first pic) below the pack so when you sit down you have to lift the gun up by about a foot. The hydration pocket is beside the scabbard with a smaller pocket below the hydration pocket.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_007.jpg

This is the back of the pack. The frame is like most internal packs, a couple of aluminum supports and a hard sheet of plastic. The aluminum supports are the shiney things in the photo and the plastic is behind them. The plastic sheet covers the whole back. As you can see the shoulder harness is adjustable up and down. On the J104 version, this is not an option, the shoulder straps are just sewn on so you cant adjust them.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture_008.jpg

I hope this helps you out some more. Like I said in a previous post, go with the J107 instead of the J104. Also get a spike camp duffel. I would get the Super spike duffel as I said you can access stuff in it without having to remove it, like with the plain spike camp duffel. Also the Super duffel is made of the same material, it is quite soft so I used mine as a pillow of my dall hunt.

BHB

daycort
10-23-2007, 06:27 PM
wow!! looks good i wish i could make it to a wss to see this thing.

bighornbob
10-23-2007, 06:38 PM
WSS only carries the J104. The J107 has to come from the states.

BHB

daycort
10-23-2007, 06:41 PM
thanks again BHB. I guess if I order it I will get good bang for the buck from the USA.

daycort
10-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Okay after 6 days of intensive research and tracking down someone with a eberlestocke pack to try on and look at, I made the plunge. the 107 with the super spike duffel coming my way.

Marc
10-26-2007, 05:38 AM
I think you're going to like it.:biggrin: I've been stuffing mine for the past week or two trying to figure where I'm going to put what. Then trying to remember where I put it.

Mental note: don't put the toilet paper on the bottom of the inside your pack when it's full. :biggrin:

If you don't mind, mention that you saw the pack on HuntingBC when you give him a call. Tell him Marc said Hi.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/just_one.JPG
(http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/just_one.JPG)

338 winmag
10-26-2007, 05:53 AM
Marc , sounds like hes getting a bit of business from us , i have a x1a1 clearing customs in Vancouver at the moment.

Tuffcity
10-26-2007, 10:22 PM
How's the eberlstocke for packing dead things (or pieces of dead things) out of the back country?

RC

daycort
10-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Marc,

I actually didn't talk to nobody at all. I just ordered through paypal. I will send him an e-mail when I receive the pack and then I will metion that HuntingBC members are starting to become major sponsors of his packs. And thanks for the tips on the tp. My wife doesn't like me coming home from a hunt with a bunch of golfing socks!!!

daycort
10-31-2007, 11:06 PM
I forgot to say thanks to BHB for all of his photos and time to help me out. Thanks and would be happy to return a favor some time.

bighornbob
11-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Let us know what you think once the pack arrives.

BHB

daycort
11-15-2007, 04:44 PM
jut recieved my j107 pack and i like it so far. I have just messed around a little with it and have not yet had a load in it. thanks to all for the input.

boxhitch
11-15-2007, 07:46 PM
Waiting for the review, after you load it up with the essentials, and then add a cape and meat for the trip home.

daycort
11-15-2007, 08:43 PM
I will work on it in tomorow morning. I have been kind of sitting on a 155 ish whitey at zipper lip creek, I might stick with an arrow. still no rifle material yet in my travels. But mule deer are a different story. To bad I already took my mule deer during bow season.