PDA

View Full Version : Family Moose Hunt Success

BCBairdo
10-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Well, we were lucky enough to draw some moose tags for our annual family moose hunt. This year we had three bull draws and four doe draws. First three days I called a few bulls in but was hunting with the bow and couldn't quite get them in close enough so on the fourth day I pulled out the 30-06 and wouldn't you know it that morning I called a bull right in and ended up actually shooting him at 30 feet! He almost ran me and my wife over...not knowing we were there. Fortunately I called it out of the swamp and onto a skidder trail so it wasn't too much work to get it out.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/BCBairdo/FamilyMooseHuntOct2007020.jpg
Next night brother in law called in a nice bull (sorry don't have a pic of this one as he shot it at last light). I now have total confidence in my quad as the stuff we went through, including 10" water full swamp (bull was shot in the middle of the swamp) was unbelieveable. We started gutting the moose at 6:30pm and with 5 guys, a quad, winch, snatch block and lots of rope and grunting we got it back to camp at 1am...special thanks to Pilsner for helping us through that one.
That day my wife also managed to bag her doe...nice sized one. She made a great 150 yd. free hand shot and the deer only went 30 yds. and piled up.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/BCBairdo/FamilyMooseHuntOct2007018.jpg
Next day we slept in a bit and then the boys went off for a little road hunt (sore bodies from the moose drag the night before) and lo and behold a nice bull just off the side of the road. They came back to camp to get some help and of course the kids wanted to come along and check things out...they love watching the gutting process and helping out.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/BCBairdo/FamilyMooseHuntOct2007025.jpg

Another fantastic trip was had once again this year and we all feel very fortunate to have been so fortunate to harvest these wonderful animals...we are truly blessed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/BCBairdo/FamilyMooseHuntOct2007048-1.jpg

Sharkey
10-21-2007, 10:28 PM
What an awesome time you must have had. I love hearing stories of the whole family up hunting and having a really great time together. Good for you!!!
~D

primmed
10-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Is the tall guy in the photo named steve? If it is he is the reason I started hunting 10 years ago when he showed me pics of a nice black bear he had got and told me the story I was 16 and hooked

308BAR
10-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Congrats! Great family photos

Stone Sheep Steve
10-22-2007, 04:12 AM
Great job as per the norm, Ian!!
Looks like that group is growing every year.

Nice to have zero pressure on the freezer so you can concentrate on your bow but remember last year's bow story from over here:shock:........................:D.

Hopefully we'll see you soon!

SSS

Avalanche123
10-22-2007, 06:16 AM
Wow great storey. A most excellent adventure for the entire family! Your kids will have some great memories when they grow up.
Well done.

lapadat
10-22-2007, 06:35 AM
Ian,

Looks like you've got a couple of up and coming moose hunters in the group.

Good luck this w/e if I don't see you.

newhunterette
10-22-2007, 06:55 AM
And that y'all is what HUNTING is all about - family togetherness, family memories, encouraging our youngins to perservere and respect and enjoy life and what it has to offer

thank you so much for an incredible story and sharing your pictures of your family - brought a great big smile to my face :)

Ali

trigger
10-22-2007, 09:27 AM
congrats on an awesome trip. its good to see you our with the whole fam damily. thats great. some nice bulls too.

NEEHAMA
10-22-2007, 09:35 AM
great pics'!

"familys that hunt together, stay together"

farside
10-22-2007, 12:04 PM
That is just great. Love to see the family out enjoying each other. Memories are made from these kind of family events

Trapper
10-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Ian
looks like you had a good season congrats.
steve

quadrakid
10-22-2007, 07:28 PM
this is one of the best posts i,ve come across on this site, great stories ,great pics and what looks to be a great family making big memories, well done.

bosch
10-22-2007, 07:53 PM
So cool to see the whole Fam out there, beatiful swamp donkey's, you will all be eating well this season, CONGRATS to you all!!

Islandeer
10-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Beautiful stuff,as others have said,great family time. Best story i have heard and seen in a long time.:biggrin:

Mik
10-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Congratulations to the whole family! Looks like one big fun time.