PDA

View Full Version : worms in deer?

mr1022
10-21-2007, 10:12 PM
I shot a spike today :smile: question is , when I was skining it out I noticed 2 small almost transparent /white what looked to be worms? first I thought it was just a peice of stringey fat ............ but I dont think so. I was on the inside of the deer up by the pee sack and they were as thin as a peice of thread. They were not sticking out of anything , just laying there not moving . Dident see any thing else , liver looked fine . Cant say I looked at the rest of the organs though, deer looked healthy , no systs or anything else.

Description :

-Thin as thread
-clear/white
-2-3" long

Kinda grossed out a bit , Dont want to feed my family anything that might hurt them .

Any Ideas , anyone seen this befor?
Thanks

ryanb
10-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Even if they were worms, they will be edible as long as the meat is cooked through. Did you keep them? Maybe you can get a bio to check it out.

Marc
10-22-2007, 05:23 AM
If you do a bit of research on filarial worm I'm guessing this is what you probably saw. They are common in bears as well and cause no harm to humans when the meat is cooked. They are transmitted by black flies in bears.

Walksalot
10-22-2007, 05:34 AM
Take a sample to you local vet and he/she should be able to tell you.

NaStY
10-22-2007, 03:09 PM
I shot a spike today :smile: question is , when I was skining it out I noticed 2 small almost transparent /white what looked to be worms? first I thought it was just a peice of stringey fat ............ but I dont think so. I was on the inside of the deer up by the pee sack and they were as thin as a peice of thread. They were not sticking out of anything , just laying there not moving . Dident see any thing else , liver looked fine . Cant say I looked at the rest of the organs though, deer looked healthy , no systs or anything else.

Description :

-Thin as thread
-clear/white
-2-3" long

Kinda grossed out a bit , Dont want to feed my family anything that might hurt them .

Any Ideas , anyone seen this befor?
Thanks

I have a great idea. How about you bring the animal to my house and i will look at it for a couple months and let you know what i find :roll: