PDA

View Full Version : Skittish grouse !

caddisguy
10-13-2020, 10:59 AM
We did went for our annual thanksgiving grouse road hunt over the weekend.

Spotted 13 grouse. Most were flying into the next time zone by the time you could get out and pop in a shell. Others ran off into the bush not to be located again (I'm usually pretty good at outwitting ones that scurry into cover and hold up near by... eventually they move or make nervous clucking)

Only 1 of the 13 presented a shot, which I blew because I rushed it LOL. I guess I felt the pressure after the first 10 escapes and this one looked like it was about to bounce too.

I was also pretty amazed by the "last light" activity. I have never seen anything like it in this particular area, but it was like someone flipped a switch in the last 10 mins of light.

I am curious what causes grouse to "suddenly" (compared to prior years) be that skittish. I would not say they are particularly pressured, at least not as much as some of the places I hunt with way less grouse and way more people.

One theory we considered was there might be less grouse this season (though we saw about the same number we normally do) and the ones we are seeing are the "smart" ones. Another theory was it was fairly rainy, windy and foggy this weekend... perhaps the combination was making them a little more alert than normal.

Anyone else ever have a day like that?

happyhunter
10-13-2020, 02:25 PM
I find there are 2 kinds of grouse, those that you can take 10 shots at and they won’t budge and those that fly soon as you open the truck door. Not sure why that is... maybe someone shot at the latter and they learn quick! Sure does piss me off though when I’m with my little boys and we go home empty handed because the grouse don’t cooperate.

One thing I have noticed is the birds body language. If they have their neck outstretched, then they are ready to bolt. Grab the .22 instead of shotty and don’t try get a foot closer. Sometimes you can get a shot off, guaranteed you won’t if you try close the distance.

Hugh Mann
10-13-2020, 02:32 PM
Can confirm. I once missed a Grouse 13 times before hitting it. (sight was off), other times they flee if I look at them funny. Couldn't tell you why though.

caddisguy
10-13-2020, 02:39 PM
I find there are 2 kinds of grouse, those that you can take 10 shots at and they won’t budge and those that fly soon as you open the truck door. Not sure why that is... maybe someone shot at the latter and they learn quick! Sure does piss me off though when I’m with my little boys and we go home empty handed because the grouse don’t cooperate.

One thing I have noticed is the birds body language. If they have their neck outstretched, then they are ready to bolt. Grab the .22 instead of shotty and don’t try get a foot closer. Sometimes you can get a shot off, guaranteed you won’t if you try close the distance.

It was sooo weird to run into so many of the skittish type on the same day. That's for sure.

The neck stretched like you said is pretty common bird language for "on alert". Anyone who ever had a pet parakeet or cockatiel has likely noticed this when there's a knock on the door or any unexpected sound. My wife and I call it "going tall and skinny". Those ones are definitely a "flight risk", especially when you see them go skinny and talk a few steps.

Over the years we have tried various tactics like driving up closer versus walking closer. That seems to help to an extent. I much prefer the ones that seem indifferent and you can take multiple shots at as you mentioned :)

I would say on average, or normal ratio of seeing grouse versus getting grouse is probably around 35%. Never seen anything like this last trip. It could be just dumb luck too. Certainly threw a wrench in our thanksgiving grouse feast tradition!

Moose63
10-13-2020, 04:16 PM
Evolution at play?

caddisguy
10-13-2020, 04:29 PM
Evolution at play?

LOL

Funny that you mention that. It has always been my theory for one of the valleys I hunt in Region 2.

I am far from a geneticist, but I wonder what impact on local genetics (if any) is had by any less-than-ninja-like grouse being annihilated in short order.

I guess the question is whether it is possible for enough selected breading to weed out the "dumb" trait in favor of the "paranoid" trait and if so, how many years (decades or millenniums would that take)

In this particular area of Region 3 this last trip, the grouse made the grouse in pressured Region 2 areas seem tame. Since last year in that same area, more than half the grouse seemed fine with someone walking up with a shotgun, I don't think that gives enough time for evolution there.

Could just be "what's left" or perhaps related to weather or some other factor like dumb luck.

Being thoroughly outwitted by a dozen grouse and missing one sure left me feeling like Elmer Fudd.

4 point
10-13-2020, 04:43 PM
Have had a grandson out with his new Youth License. we are finding this season 75% fly or run fast never to be seen again. 25% you may get a shot at. He is always going for head shots which makes it harder but he is fairly deadly for a 11 year old. He has had lots of trips to the bush on deer hunts and has seen grouse taken by others.

landphil
10-13-2020, 05:35 PM
I’ve noticed the same here in region 8 this year. Hardy saw any last week, and had 3 give me the slip. I also watched one pull a disappearing act on my buddy twice in half an hour, which was less entertaining than it sounds. Or was it?

Firstblood
10-14-2020, 06:53 PM
Lots of adult birds this year, most clutches didnt make it due to a very wet cold spring. Lots of adult birds means less young and dumb ones, they've lived a few seasons and they have seen people before. Ive flushed a decent number of birds with my dog and the ones ive harvested are the biggest ive seen. Over all Id say low numbers but still seeing birds.

Husky7mm
10-14-2020, 07:41 PM
I find them usually skittish in Oct. Definitely more so for adult birds. Also aside from the morning and evenings seeing them near roads is weather dependent. The right amount of rain and they are everywhere, a little more or less and they are nowhere to be found. Same with a weather change.

markt308
10-14-2020, 09:07 PM
This weekend I saw around five grouse each hunt. 2 or 3 would quickly split, 2 or 3 would sit there waiting for me to kill them. Seems like business as usual from my view.
guess you could pretty much say the same thing about muleys

jonny55
10-15-2020, 09:13 AM
I noticed that here on thanksgiving weekend as well in region 8, they shifted from bloody well hopping into the truck to flying at the first footstep outside of the truck from 40ft away!

Ajsawden
10-15-2020, 09:42 AM
I road hunted grouse two mornings around Lillooet end of September. First day I was by myself and managed two for 4. Second day, I took the wife and she was spotting the birds from further back. We went 1 for 6. It's a psychological game where once you spot them it's hard to keep driving closer. Open sights at 40 yards is way harder than open sites at 20 yards. Sometimes I spot them when they're way too close to the truck and I'll actually back away to that sweet range of 15-20 yards. I've not been seeing as many grouse as usual on the island this year. My 'secret spot' has a brand new road through the middle of it. I think they were building it all spring and summer. The birds just aren't hanging out there anymore. Gotta wait 5 or 6 years for it to all grow back in again I guess.

barry1974w
10-15-2020, 09:18 PM
Not too many birds around home this year (PG) and the ones that are here are very nervous. My son is having a tough year

caddisguy
10-15-2020, 11:23 PM
I road hunted grouse two mornings around Lillooet end of September. First day I was by myself and managed two for 4. Second day, I took the wife and she was spotting the birds from further back. We went 1 for 6. It's a psychological game where once you spot them it's hard to keep driving closer. Open sights at 40 yards is way harder than open sites at 20 yards. Sometimes I spot them when they're way too close to the truck and I'll actually back away to that sweet range of 15-20 yards. I've not been seeing as many grouse as usual on the island this year. My 'secret spot' has a brand new road through the middle of it. I think they were building it all spring and summer. The birds just aren't hanging out there anymore. Gotta wait 5 or 6 years for it to all grow back in again I guess.

Seems I am not the only one having a tough time with grouse this season.

I know what you mean about spotting a grouse from further away and and whether or not to drive forward. Driving forward seems to work better than getting out and walking up, but it is hard to keep driving even though you know it's probably the best bet LOL

For the ones I spot really close, like right in front of the vehicle, just off to the side, rather than backing up (I have never tried that, maybe will one day) I actually drive 20 yards passed them and jump out. It seems to work sometimes... a grouse will be all skinny and startled as you roll by then is back to messing about with pebbles of leaves as soon as you clear it, then you get a good shot. It's not a sure thing, but it is a common occurrence. I want to try the back-up method now though :)

Regarding the new road, I ran into that a couple years back. I had this ridiculous Region 2 grouse spot... I called it "natures drive through" because every time I went by, there was always a grouse on the same part of the road. Well, they logged some of the timber and built a new road just below there. Never seen a grouse in that spot since (3 years later now I think) ... However, I did see some grouse popping up where I didn't see them before a couple km from there (still not sure if that is a repeatable trend though)

I just wish grouse met the "stupid" stereotype all the time. Sometimes they do, but wow can they ever be sneaky, intuitive and evasive... dang ninjas even

Gumsehwah
10-16-2020, 07:45 PM
Just got back from a drive thru an area of region 6 logging roads. Not one grouse showed. I think this season I've only seen one bird, an he was booking it deep into the bush by the time I saw him.

What the actual f**k? ��

Rieber
10-18-2020, 08:31 AM
This has been my worst year for easy road chickens. In total I've only seen two birds in all my travels. First and only decent one, I didn't have the .22 with me. The second one was a small skinny little road runner that I could have shot but it was small and I didn't feel the need to shoot the little one. Must have been a cold, wet Spring in my hunting area. No birds.

MDR
10-21-2020, 03:32 PM
Numbers are down up here in my opinion. The ones I do see are also quite skittish. I find I can up my success by walking into the bush either 10yds above or below where I believe they went in. Often times they are only a few yards in and will give themselves up. My strategy is to take 5 steps, stop, kneel down and listen for 15-20 seconds. They get nervous and give themselves up most times.

rustybarrel
10-22-2020, 07:09 PM
I have found fewer grouse this year in my usual areas.I also noticed some of the Chukars I hunted were very young/smaller birds.The cold, wetter, spring we had may have played a number on the birds.

caddisguy
11-08-2020, 08:53 PM
Region 2 grouse down!!!!!!!

Finally. Even with 2 deer and a bear in the freezer the season felt incomplete being outwitted by all those grouse.

I think we were 0 for 15 on grouse encounters and only one shot fired out of all those (miss)

We went for a camping / trailcam trip in Region 2 and on our way out this morning did a little road hunt.

First grouse spotted at around 25 yards. Perfect! I recently switched out the modified choke for a skeet choke. Got out of the jeep, loaded the shotgun... he was oblivious eating pebbles. That is, until I took one more step to be in a shooting stance. My boot slipped on a frosty branch and found it's way to a pile of leaves... crunch! He flew into the next time zone.

Next one wasn't so lucky... made for a delicious side dish :)

I feel better now. Even if I dont see another one all season, the tradition continues.

Neither of the grouse we saw today were skittish at all. Perhaps it's the cold weather directly, or perhaps the weather moved down some grouse that are not familiar with road hunting. Either way, I'll take it.

elch jager
12-02-2020, 09:50 AM
Didn't spend much time on grouse this year - drove past most we saw on the road. Focus was on deer and moose. Saw a fair number of birds in region 7. The ones we did take were @ 50 to 100 yards with the .17 HMR - very satisfying head shots.

Stop and back up or drive 50 yards past. Angle your vehicle so you step out behind a wheel... kill bird and then release the hound to run back and collect the bird. Occasionally he would go back after the retrieve and point another bird hiding well off the road.