PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a GPS unit.

Sharkey
10-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Would love some input as to which GPS units are more user-friendly and reliable... Christmas is coming and hubby wants a list!:wink:

newhunterette
10-21-2007, 09:56 PM
hubby has a Lowrance ihunt unit - he loves it comes with great topo graphics for ur computer to download and creat your own maps as well as full load of informtion in unit

Ali

RMG
10-21-2007, 10:34 PM
I have the Garmin GPS Map60csx, absolutely love it. Easy to use, hunting, geocasheing, fishing dont leave home with out it. Got it from gpscity.com out of Calgary. The best prices I could find, and I looked everywhere, even Ebay. This unit is simply amazing with its ability.

Ciskman
10-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Ive only ever used a garmin Etrex. Their tiny and very user freindly

bigwhiteys
10-21-2007, 11:08 PM
I have the Garmin GPS Map60csx, absolutely love it. Easy to use, hunting, geocasheing, fishing dont leave home with out it. Got it from gpscity.com out of Calgary. The best prices I could find, and I looked everywhere, even Ebay. This unit is simply amazing with its ability.

I will ehco RMG's comments. I have the same unit, purchased from the same store. Great Unit.

Carl

tuchodi
10-22-2007, 07:14 AM
I also have the Garmin 60csx and it works great. I have only ever had Garmin and they have all worked really good. We are now switching to the Garmin Rino as it has both the GPS and a Radio combined which lightens the day pack load.

willyqbc
10-22-2007, 07:59 AM
All the research I did on the subject led me to also order the Garmin 60 Scx. It is nice to hear you folks are happy with your as mine is not here yet!:-P

Chris

Bow Walker
10-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the link RMG - great info.

Poguebilt
10-22-2007, 08:52 AM

same here!!! great gps...

NaStY
10-22-2007, 09:13 AM
I have only ever bought garmin as well and have been using them for 8yrs now. Now i use the Rino's because the locating feature for your buddies is second to none. I bought the 5watt ones for more range. I have a rino 530 for me and a rino 520 for whom ever is with me. They aren't cheep but for what it did for me when i was out with my brother inlaw and his son, well lets just say, i would have spent $1,000.000.000.000.000.000. I could see exactly where they were and they were on the other side of a possible buck i almost shot.:shock: I didn't see them but my rino did........:razz:

Spitzer
10-22-2007, 09:46 AM
I have a Garmin Gps60csx too and really like it. I don't use the electronic compass much, or the barometer, but I guess it's good to have and it's only $10 more than the 60cx.

Sharkey
10-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Do you have to download maps to the units themselves? For some reason my husband is quite certain of this. I have never used one so I don't know the details.

tuchodi
10-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Do you have to download maps to the units themselves? For some reason my husband is quite certain of this. I have never used one so I don't know the details.

Yes! You can get the Topo Canada and it gives you all the maps in Canada so you can choose which area you are going to go into and just download the ones you need each time. You can also save those on a computer with all your waypoints and tracks and every time you go into the same area put them back on your Garmin and keep adding more waypoints and tracks.

tikkat3
10-22-2007, 01:04 PM
I have the garmin vista hcx with the canadian topo maps. It's really good for the money, got it shipped from the US for 300, got the map cds from gpscity for 150. Bought a 1gb microsd card (20$)for loading maps, I have detailed topo maps for ALL of BC and Alberta loaded up, with 500mb of space left for tracks, etc. Awesome reception, batteries last forever, waterproof, has altimeter and elec. compass, lots of good features. Best bang for the buck I think. The gpsmap ones are a lot more expensive but have mostly the same features.

islandstalker
10-28-2007, 06:18 PM
i have a magellan explorist 400 for around a year now with topo canada. its worked great tried some geocaching. seems tough enough and water/coffee proof (dunked it one morning not sure for how long just looked over and was like dooh). i like the fact you can save your track logs and poi's and download them to your computer. it can even change the color of your track depending on your speed.

pupper
10-28-2007, 06:33 PM
I like the garmin rino series 530. radio included. topo maps, colour, tempature, navigation, altimeter. easy to use and understand. If your friends get rino's it becomes handy as you can see there wear abouts on your own screen. cool cool.