PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail: Merritt vs Oliver

ab3
10-10-2020, 04:59 PM
Curious what the group thinks regarding whether whiteys are more prevalent in the Merritt area vs around Oliver (or vice versa). Trying to decide where to go for an antlerless.
Two trips this year, between princeton and Merritt, have yielded zero muley bucks and no whiteys.

RyoTHC
10-10-2020, 09:01 PM
Curious what the group thinks regarding whether whiteys are more prevalent in the Merritt area vs around Oliver (or vice versa). Trying to decide where to go for an antlerless.
Two trips this year, between princeton and Merritt, have yielded zero muley bucks and no whiteys.

I think you just answered your own question if one of the areas you’re asking about you’ve hunted multiple times and came up empty handed.

put in the leg work and you’ll get them though, myself and my hunting partner left home at 2pm today, hiked one old grown in logging road bumped 6 white tail before we got the bead on a nice little buck and dropped him, 7 white tail between 2pm and 630 pm and not a single one would ever be seen from a road, and numerous trucks drove right past the thicket we were hunting and didn’t even give it a second thought.

once you realize that white tails are pocket animals and have a home range it should be a lot easier to hone in on them, if you have the time to drive the extra distance trying somewhere new is always nice, even coming up empty handed is an experience in itself in a new area.

any questions feel free to PM and I’ll help however I can, though I won’t give out specific areas, as actually finding the animals is the most rewarding part of the hunt IMO and I don’t want to take that away from anyone.

rageous
10-10-2020, 09:25 PM
Head to the Christian valley area for all your deer hunting needs. Busy yes but for good reason. Lots of deer!
will find whitetail pretty much everywhere and muleys generally higher up in elevation.

Redthies
10-10-2020, 10:46 PM
Just came out of Christian Valley. Didn’t see a single deer. It ain’t the holy land anymore...

cameron0518
10-11-2020, 12:47 AM
Just came out of Christian Valley. Didn’t see a single deer. It ain’t the holy land anymore...

Maybe try a different strategy? The Christian Valley is still thick with whitetails, they just don't stick around long. Go slow and get a bit off the road. They aren't far in. Still some great hunting up the Granby.

Redthies
10-11-2020, 04:22 AM
Maybe try a different strategy? The Christian Valley is still thick with whitetails, they just don't stick around long. Go slow and get a bit off the road. They aren't far in. Still some great hunting up the Granby.

I wasn’t actually looking for deer. It was 78* out, and my freezer was full from my Kootenay hunt. But none of the many camps I saw were successful, which given the temps isn’t too surprising. I think the deer were all hiding in the shade. I’m sure it’s livend up a bit with the cooler weather now.

There were a LOT of people in there too (as usual) but not as many as I saw last year. I did clear out before the weekend gong show and antlerless season tomfoolery could start...

But back to the OPs original question, I would probably look up Mt Baldy way if those were my two bases to choose from. I see lots more whitetail in that area than Merritt area.

ab3
10-12-2020, 02:41 PM
I think you just answered your own question if one of the areas you’re asking about you’ve hunted multiple times and came up empty handed.

put in the leg work and you’ll get them though, myself and my hunting partner left home at 2pm today, hiked one old grown in logging road bumped 6 white tail before we got the bead on a nice little buck and dropped him, 7 white tail between 2pm and 630 pm and not a single one would ever be seen from a road, and numerous trucks drove right past the thicket we were hunting and didn’t even give it a second thought.

once you realize that white tails are pocket animals and have a home range it should be a lot easier to hone in on them, if you have the time to drive the extra distance trying somewhere new is always nice, even coming up empty handed is an experience in itself in a new area.

any questions feel free to PM and I’ll help however I can, though I won’t give out specific areas, as actually finding the animals is the most rewarding part of the hunt IMO and I don’t want to take that away from anyone.

Thanks, Ryo. PM sent

Muliechaser
10-12-2020, 03:09 PM
I wasn’t actually looking for deer. It was 78* out, and my freezer was full from my Kootenay hunt. But none of the many camps I saw were successful, which given the temps isn’t too surprising. I think the deer were all hiding in the shade. I’m sure it’s livend up a bit with the cooler weather now.

There were a LOT of people in there too (as usual) but not as many as I saw last year. I did clear out before the weekend gong show and antlerless season tomfoolery could start...

But back to the OPs original question, I would probably look up Mt Baldy way if those were my two bases to choose from. I see lots more whitetail in that area than Merritt area.

To the op regarding this response . Remember that this area follows into mu-8-12 at a point and it's 4point mule all season. Lots of hunters go home empty handed from these areas .

adriaticum
10-12-2020, 04:41 PM
Oliver is whitetail heartland, Merritt is borderline

jac
10-12-2020, 07:19 PM
Haha heartland. I know Oliver area very well and it’s not what it used to be.

Muliechaser
10-13-2020, 07:15 PM
Oliver is whitetail heartland, Merritt is borderline

That's the funniest thing I've read in a while . I invite all to come to the heartland and cut tags left right and center lmao . Come one come all. And then the threads will pop up about how there is no game. Everywhere is the same or close . There is an Indian reserve bordering these MU. Do the math . Good luck to anyone who gives this area a try and doesn't live nearby and manages to consistently cut tags . . As like anywhere they are in that MU just have to work hard for them .

cameron0518
10-13-2020, 08:00 PM
Hunted in Oliver last year. There is no shortage from what I saw.

358mag
10-13-2020, 08:04 PM
Hunted in Oliver last year. There is no shortage from what I saw.
Hunters or whitetail ?

RyoTHC
10-13-2020, 08:06 PM
Hunters or whitetail ?

Red phase black bear

cameron0518
10-13-2020, 08:27 PM
Whitetails have some good pockets in there for sure. Just get off the roads.

Ubertuber
10-14-2020, 07:46 AM
If I was going to choose one over the other, I'd go to Oliver over Merritt for white tail.