PDA

View Full Version : Scope covers - what's best

boilerroom
10-08-2020, 03:36 PM
Hi All, I'm looking at scope covers and would like to know what you use - end caps or a cover that goes over the entire scope.

If you use end caps - do you have them on both ends or just the eye-end?

thanks in advance, BR

warnniklz
10-08-2020, 03:56 PM
A copenhagen tin with some bungees works

RyoTHC
10-08-2020, 04:10 PM
Use scope defenders on both sides, spend thousands on glass you’d be beyond silly to skip the few bucks it costs to protect it.

albravo2
10-08-2020, 04:13 PM
flip caps on the non-eye end because that is where rain/snow falls when carrying a rifle.

BRvalley
10-08-2020, 04:30 PM
not sure which brand scope you have, but I always get the manufactures flip covers, leupold, swaro, leica all make nice aluminum ones...they could fit other brands as well, worth checking

you can also take the scope into a camera store (no rifle of course lol) and ask them to try and find a lens filter that fits, usually $20-40 depending on brand and size, UV filter, polarized, etc....this way you are only putting wear and tear on your filter lense while hunting, and the scope objective glass stays near flawless for much longer.....leupold makes these filters as well, but priced a lot higher than a generic camera filter

I think you will hear mixed opinions on scope covers, some guys say they miss animals when you're too slow flipping the cover open....for my style, the scope covers are great for hiking and transport, when I'm actually hunting the covers are open and ready to go

REMINGTON JIM
10-08-2020, 05:23 PM
flip caps on the non-eye end because that is where rain/snow falls when carrying a rifle.

Al - In SCOPE language its called a OBJECTIVE lens :smile: :-P RJ

Ron.C
10-08-2020, 05:30 PM
Unless it's super crappy weather, I don't use anything. If its pissing out, I'm busting bush, my rifle is on my pack because I'm hiking somewhere or on my quad I just use a neoprene cover that slips over the entire scope.

albravo2
10-08-2020, 05:32 PM
Al - In SCOPE language its called a OBJECTIVE lens :smile: :-P RJ

Ya'll fancy with your special word talk;-)

walker1985
10-08-2020, 06:24 PM
Unless it's super crappy weather, I don't use anything. If its pissing out, I'm busting bush, my rifle is on my pack because I'm hiking somewhere or on my quad I just use a neoprene cover that slips over the entire scope.

I do the same with mine

Gateholio
10-08-2020, 06:43 PM
Butler creek and electric tape.

Arctic Lake
10-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Butler Creek here also , both ends , spring loaded . They make all sorts of sizes for all sorts of diameter scope lenses .
Arctic Lake

islandhunter
10-08-2020, 07:06 PM
Bikini scope covers. I keep like 10 of them around on different rifles. They will never break. But once in awhile you may lose them due to to buck fever:lol::lol:

rocksteady
10-08-2020, 07:20 PM
Bikini scope covers. I keep like 10 of them around on different rifles. They will never break. But once in awhile you may lose them due to to buck fever:lol::lol:

And are a universal fit.

Mark-R
10-08-2020, 07:55 PM
I like https://scopeshieldcover.com/
Good in rain and bushwhacks

boilerroom
10-08-2020, 09:16 PM
Thanks folks, some good advice!

I was deciding between the Butler Creek and scope bikini so glad to see both were mentioned. I've been mostly tooling around on ATVs with a buddy but really want to start getting into the bush so want to make sure everything looks clean when I finally get a bead on a deer.

Yup, definitely worried about losing the bikini with the adrenaline rush when I site a keeper - did I mention it's been 7 years of trying without one???? Glad to see that these guys https://scopeshieldcover.com/ have a way of connecting the bikini cover to the barrel so that should keep it close. I think based on the feedback I'll get the Butler Creek that Ryan and others mentioned for my 6.5 Creedmoor and a bikini for my 22 and see how I like both.

Cheers, BR

Stone Sheep Steve
10-09-2020, 05:03 AM
I’ve gone thru countless Butler Creek flip ups...even with them being taped on.
My old Leupold wasn’t compatible with the aluminum flip ups but now I have a newer rifle with a newer scope. Now have aluminum flip ups and love them.
I still add a neoprene cover when backpacking to help protect the scope when in my scabbard.

SSS

Treed
10-09-2020, 05:43 AM
Exactly! Or they fall off. Thought I was a bit goofy doing this. Helps keep the rain from coming down the barrel too.

HarryToolips
10-09-2020, 06:23 AM
I use end caps both sides..

boxhitch
10-09-2020, 11:15 AM
I like a bit more coverage than the bikini
more of a boxer guy, I like the neoprene covers

Tuff Coat , $15 made in Kamloops

264mag
10-09-2020, 01:39 PM
Do you have any contact information for tuff coat?

xcaribooer
10-09-2020, 02:57 PM
butler creeks on all of my scopes

operator jon
10-09-2020, 03:01 PM
Go to the dollar store and by a couple of shower caps and camo paint them.

Phila
10-09-2020, 03:34 PM
For hunting I went to the Leupold rubber bikini covers. They work well in rifle scabbards, can’t imagine trying to fish out a neoprene cover from a rifle scabbard on a horse. I hunt without scope covers on.

For target scopes I have gone to the flip up Butler Creek style as I found the neoprene covers got shredded when transporting. The larger target turret sizes are pretty expensive as well. Some brands are just junk, some newer versions are quite durable. Fitting them to your scope can be a bit frustrating, there are size guides and measuring tools e.g. Bushwhacker.

boxhitch
10-09-2020, 06:48 PM
Do you have any contact information for tuff coat?bought them through Kijiji

blacksn95
10-09-2020, 07:39 PM

His Name is Mike Robertson on facebook.. he sells them on bc hunting and fishing buy sell on fb

boilerroom
10-09-2020, 10:09 PM

I found the TUFF covers here: https://www.gunpost.ca/optics/miscellaneous/kamloops/price-drop-scope-cover-15-shipped-dont-lose-another-one-waterproof email to Mike and a EMT and I have 2 on the way.

mikeman20
10-09-2020, 11:34 PM
I use spring loaded caps, keeps water or dust off my lenses. it's muscle memory for me to pop them open now

MRP
10-10-2020, 06:31 AM
Still useing my 40 year old bikini stile covers. They have hard rubber custom caps for each scope. Probably why there not around anymore.

250 sav
10-10-2020, 08:56 AM

That's what I use

stinkyduck
10-13-2020, 06:48 PM
250 320 9500

barry1974w
10-13-2020, 09:39 PM
Ive been using the pop up butler creek covers for a long time. I’ve only lost one, but have had a couple fall off that I noticed. Get em a bit small if possible. If they’re really hard to put on, they don’t seem to fall off that easily. I also broke one of the ocular covers with the push button to open. I haven’t tried the aluminum covers yet, but I imagine they’re great. But I’m cheap, and they’re not..... ;)

Squamch
10-13-2020, 10:49 PM

Yep, butler creek with electrical tape. And one tab cut off on each one. On the objective end, I only have a tab on the left side of the rifle, my thumb pops it open as my hand comes up the forestock. On the...erm....other end, the tab is on the same side as the bolt knob, safety off and scope cap open is an automatic move.

The Donald
10-14-2020, 06:25 AM
I just use the neoprene cover that came with my leupold, i use a zap strap and zap it on in the middle of the scope, works great and you won't lose it. I have tried their expensive ones from leupold, butler creek etc and have had nothing but issues

wallz
10-21-2020, 07:50 PM
If you use a scope that makes the alum covers, ie: leupold, swaro, get those. Yes they are a bit more, but they are NICE!
I also have used the butler creek ones, and slowly upgrading to the tenebraex covers. Go right to their web page to find the proper fitting per scope, and you can order amazon or some of the canadian dealers carry them. Way better than the butler creek covers. Even write the scope dope on the top lid of the covers for quick reference on longer shots.