PDA

View Full Version : Back from 7-45

browningboy
10-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Well finally back and cleaned up after our hunt with Mntman and another. First day weather was great, but a little too nice, got my rifle sighted in after a few mishaps and the 5th and final shot, a moose stands up 50 yards to the left! Wow, thought that was weird, but lets move on, started to get familar with area, came up the 5km road and at the well head was 2 cows and 2 calves (5 moose within an hour), so explored a while and got stuck big time in a few spots (that gumbo kicks ass! FUN), so the second day we explorted 7-58 and didn't see anything except for no hunting signs everywhere, farmers are getting cranky apparently??? as they weren't like this in the previous years??The third day we were back to 7-45 and went in deep, down seismic lines and hit a field of willow etc. with good cover, lets walk then no sooner BULL! Damn, its inbetween! so move on and find a big stinky wallow with plenty of sign so decided to hang out, nice and quiet then wolves start yipping then howling all around us, was really cool, so we decide to leave and go back to camp, get back on the main road and hit another cow and calf! and we go on, around the corner and two cows, wait a minute, ones a immature! 2X3, so get the 338 out and send a 250 grain partition flying, drops like a sack of potatoes! The bullet destroyed the heart and one lung, looked liquified, well then right after that, 4 more moose step out! Both cows with calves, so the move on but mamma is in the bush circling us as we got her calf! We end up dragging the bull 100 yards or so and have it cleaned up and back to camp! Pressures off! ( I'll get the pics as soon as mntman emails me them!)In the next few days we spotted 7 elk (cows), stop counting at 30 moose and a few deer, we never got another moose as all the ones were inbetween, damn those stupid rules but oh well. We did see about 10" snow half way throughbut all in all the moose numbers were the best I've ever seen! they were all healthy and no sign of tick problems (in this area).
Well we found our little honey hole filled with moose, and was a good time, so will be back next year, as mentioned will post pics shortly!:smile:

WoodOx
10-21-2007, 05:23 PM
congrats on a successful hunt dude

daycort
10-21-2007, 07:13 PM
yup, it is good in there. Congrats.

I spent the first years of my life in that unit. My dad operated gas wells in there during the 70's. Then in the late 90's i operated the same wells for a few years. I don't hunt there anymore, put if you want some help figurng things out in there give me a pm, I would be glad to help.

browningboy
10-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks daycourt I'll take you up on that one day and yes lots of rigs working but just trying to get the pics on here but all files too big!:mad:

daycort
10-21-2007, 08:17 PM
oh ya, memmories of the 100 acre lease, moosie meadow, cow flat, donkey ridge, and goats head smashed in. Did you find the goats? And if you can, put in there for g-bear spring. I know of 4 dens.

Steeleco
10-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks daycourt I'll take you up on that one day and yes lots of rigs working but just trying to get the pics on here but all files too big!:mad:

Upload them to an account with photobucket.com it will size them for you. Com'on now we're waiting :razz::razz:

browningboy
10-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Upload them to an account with photobucket.com it will size them for you. Com'on now we're waiting :razz::razz:

Did that but only came up with this??
http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff50/antchak/
Can't do anything from there?? DUH:shock:

Shooter
10-22-2007, 08:08 PM
This tool works great.. I think it was Will or Marc that had it posted here somewhere else. Thats where I grabbed it from.
http://www.lan-lord.net/photo_resize.aspx

Sharkey
10-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Great photos - we just got our immy back from the chop-shop today and can't wait to try it! Glad to hear the moose are plentiful up there. Friends of mine went to Valemont for 10 days on a shared hunt and didn't see ONE moose!
~D

Fisher-Dude
10-22-2007, 08:20 PM
First day weather was great, but a little too nice, got my rifle sighted in after a few mishaps and the 5th and final shot, a moose stands up 50 yards to the left! Wow, thought that was weird...

So getting excited to go on our hunt up to the Sikkanni Chief, getting the gear ready, we got guns, 12 dozen beer, a few bottles of crown, 2 strippers (serve us beer)...

Welcome back Brownie! Congrats on the immy! Now post up some pics before I get Marc to BAN you! :biggrin:

browningboy
10-23-2007, 07:28 AM
Welcome back Brownie! Congrats on the immy! Now post up some pics before I get Marc to BAN you! :biggrin:

FD, I tried, just got the link to photopost or bucket but still didn't know where to go from there, click the link to see me very stuck! Gotta love the gumbo and one unfortuneate thing, couldn't get pie at Maies, they were shut down for the patch guys!:sad:

Machinist
10-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Hey Browningboy , nice Moose !!!! I guess you really like how the .338 and the .250 Nozzler works :eek:
I shot one as well three weeks ago with my .338 with the .225 grain partition and it was an amasing one shot kill :!: Is that the Sikini Chief area you were in ?? If so I remenber it well I was in there 10 year's ago
**Chicken Creek ** And it was a big Gumbo Mud trip as well :-x

browningboy
10-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Hey Browningboy , nice Moose !!!! I guess you really like how the .338 and the .250 Nozzler works :eek:
I shot one as well three weeks ago with my .338 with the .225 grain partition and it was an amasing one shot kill :!: Is that the Sikini Chief area you were in ?? If so I remenber it well I was in there 10 year's ago
**Chicken Creek ** And it was a big Gumbo Mud trip as well :-x

Machinist, my buddy just made the loads the night before and the first homemade bullets out of my rifle, and we fluked out as it just zero'd in and had a nice tight group (3/4") and love the bullets, worked great.
We weren't quite at the Sikkani but getting close, the area was like playing in gear oil! but fun as hell!:razz:

Machinist
10-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Here is a Link to the Pictures of the small bull I shot three weeks ago 8-)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15907

Will
10-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Awesome ! Congrats on the Rare Region 7 Moose:smile:

browningboy
10-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Butcher's weight was 340lbs, so some good eating coming soon, looks like a good year for most.:biggrin: