PDA

View Full Version : Contacting CO

bytal
10-08-2020, 07:04 AM
Hopefully this isnt a stupud question, but what is the best way to contact COs regarding regional hunting law questions? I cant find any listing for regional COs and the only number I can find listed at all is the RAPP number. Do you call that number or just email them or is another way?

Thanks

139grainsofhell
10-08-2020, 07:34 AM
Email, I contacted front counter and they are completely useless they would not answer a question they also said if I call a co they will not return my call and to email them ,they responded in two days with email.

r106
10-08-2020, 07:38 AM
An email with an emailed response would be the best option imho. Especially regarding a legal question.

weatherby_man
10-08-2020, 08:01 AM
An email with an emailed response would be the best option imho. Especially regarding a legal question.

This^^^^ keep a record of it.

caddisguy
10-08-2020, 09:06 AM
If you are looking to clarify a law or regulation with regard to the Wildlife Act, the correct contact is the Ministry of Forests Lands and Natural Resources Operations. Send to the "General Inquiries" mailbox and they will forward it along to the correct Ministry of Forests contact.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/organizational-structure/ministries-organizations/ministries/forests-lands-natural-resource-operations-and-rural-development/ministry-contacts

The legislative branch of government (that makes the laws) is most appropriate for this sort of thing, rather than the enforcement branch.

As we know, some laws are unclear and it can be as difficult for CO's too. One Conservation Officer might have a different interpretation of a law over another which is completely understandable. The laws are not always perfect and a phone call or email to one might not help you in the field.

However, a written response from the Ministry can help both yourself and a CO in the field. For example, I have a copy of a letter from the ministry clarifying that bait can be used to trap crayfish in lakes that are "Bait ban" or "Artificial fly only".