PDA

View Full Version : Meat cutting supplies??

Steeleco
10-21-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm looking to find a source of butcher paper and string, I've been to Stuffers but as nice as they are, the smallest batch they sell could supply the whole web site :biggrin::biggrin:
I'm looking for a small batch to see if I'm going to be any good at this gig!
My local Save on was nada, any help folks???

tuchodi
10-21-2007, 04:18 PM
I have found some freezer wrap paper at Save On or Safeway. It came in a box like wax paper but larger. As for the string I got a small roll from one of the butchar shops in Surrey it is on 104 ave and about 144. I believe you have a Clancy's or something like that in Walnut grove maybe try there for the string.

Steeleco
10-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks, I got a good tip via PM also, between the two I'm off to a great start. Now to see if I'm any good at cutting???

Wildfoot
10-21-2007, 04:48 PM
most grocery stores sell butcher paper. or ask the butcher to buy some off them.. i know when i worked in an IGA the butchers used to sell hunks of paper to anyone that asked.. and it was a lot cheaper than buyin the stuff off the racks in the store!

I butchered my first deer last fall.. i got a book that showed all the cuts and how to take apart the deer. First quarter took a few hours. the other 3 quarters went really fast after i knew where and how to cut.

newhunterette
10-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Safeway always has it - look where they keep the ziplock and aluminum foil - it comes in a long white box says Freezer paper on it :)

Ali

Nimrod
10-21-2007, 06:58 PM
I've known thees guys for 20 years, they should have everything you need and then some.
http://www.stuffers.com/

trapperdan2061
10-21-2007, 07:24 PM
I use freezer bags, put your meat in small ones squeeze out the air then store the small bags in a large bag been doing it this way for 7 years.

Works great

Steeleco
10-21-2007, 07:40 PM
I've known thees guys for 20 years, they should have everything you need and then some.
http://www.stuffers.com/

It's the then some part!! The smallest roll they had was 750' long, this being my first deer (cut myself), I want to make sure it won't be my last, I don't want 700' of left overs!!

I'll be sure go to Stuffers if I decide to do this all the time, they already have a bunch of my money. :wink:

dukester
10-21-2007, 07:47 PM
make sure your string is at least 80% cotton.

wolverine
10-21-2007, 08:08 PM
If you have a good size Home Hardware store they carry freezer paper. Just use a good masking tape with it that will hold for more than a couple of days. The good old tan colored stuff works pretty good.

Farmer
10-21-2007, 08:39 PM
We get our freezer paper at one of the butcher shops. They sell it by the pound. It is precut. I think it comes in 16 and 18 inch squares. It is much faster and cleaner to wrap with precut paper than rolls, but it is nice to have a roll of 20 inch paper around if you want to make a large roast. We use plastic baggies for our ground meat. They hold a good pound of ground meat and are cheap.

Gord

tuchodi
10-22-2007, 07:24 AM
I agree with "trapperdan" and "farmer" about the plastic bags. I bought a roll from the farmers vegatable market and have used that for about 20 years. I then wrap it in brown paper after to protect the plastic from getting holes in it. It is a little more work but I have meat in the freezer that is 3 years old and no freezer burn and has not lost any flavor. If you use plastic you can get standard brown paper from Staples or any office supply store really cheap.

Mr. Dean
10-22-2007, 07:31 AM
Did I miss something.... There's a DEER hanging in that shed?????

Steeleco
10-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Not any more!!! Thanks all, paper was found at Otter Co-op. Once this roll is gone, Stuffers will have what I need. Bambi is all done and wrapped, was much easier than some bears I've done.Now I need to find my own grinder and stop bumming Mr.Deans!! Picking the first pieces of tenderloin from my teeth as I type. :eek::eek:

Mr. Dean
10-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Hope it worked out for ya.

Did you use that stuffer of yours?

chola
10-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Not any more!!! Thanks all, paper was found at Otter Co-op. Once this roll is gone, Stuffers will have what I need. Bambi is all done and wrapped, was much easier than some bears I've done.Now I need to find my own grinder and stop bumming Mr.Deans!! Picking the first pieces of tenderloin from my teeth as I type. :eek::eek:

Dave,I got one of those stainless grinders from Canadian Tire.....300Amp..works awesome and grinds like there's no tomorow...they are perfect for the hobdy butcherers like ourselves..just giving ya the heads up:wink:

Steeleco
10-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks Bob, I'll have a boo.
Dean, the stuffer will be broke in on the weekend!!