PDA

View Full Version : End of EK Elk Season (Thank God!)

brotherjack
10-21-2007, 01:23 PM
Elk season in the East Kootenays has ended. All I can say, is I'm am so glad that's over. I spent 40 mornings, and almost as many evenings unsuccessfully hunting elk. Between that, and working during the day, I am just exhausted like you would not believe it. I don't know why I do this to myself. Virtually every year, I go out and just kill myself like this trying to put an elk in the freezer (Elk meat being far and away my favorite eating). I can't say I've never shot one, but if you take my personal track record and do some math - every time I hit the door on my way out elk hunting, my odds are about 1% that I'll kill a six point elk before I come home. That's one time in a hundred. The more I contemplate that, the more I think I must be insane, when I consider that I don't even enjoy hunting elk (at least not anymore). The extremely low success rate just takes all the fun out of it for me. Too many days and weeks and years of not even seeing a six point elk (I've seen exactly two I was positive were six point in 5 years of hunting them as hard as I know how, and one other I was only 99% sure was a six, so didn't pull the trigger), and on any given morning or evening elk hunt, I just go out grumpy now, because believe in my heart that I'm just killing myself physically and mentally for one more day for nothing (and 99 times out of 100, I'm right). I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. I hate it.

Anyway - all this has brought me to a conclusion. I am done with hunting six point elk. Trophy hunting is a game for people who are doing it for the love of it (and to those of you who do, more power to you - I am in no way trying to rain on your parade!). But I'm not one of those - at least not when the success rate is as low as mine is for six point elk.

In contrast, most years it takes me about 4 trips to the bush to put a decent (4pt or better) whitetail deer in my freezer (heck, most years my tag doesn't make it through the first few days of bow season). It takes me about 7 trips to the bush to put a 4pt mule deer in the freezer. Consequently, I really enjoy hunting deer - I can wake up at 4:00 AM thinking "wow, I might get a deer today - let's go!".

All of which, brings me back to my conclusion - I should quit doing what I don't like, and spend more time doing what I do. I'd rather be eating elk, but I can survive just fine on venison too (venison being my second favourite meat, actually).

Anyway - I'm going to rest up for a week, and then I'm going to go kill me a mule deer.

Thanks for listening to me whine. Now back to your regular scheduled programming.

jackson13
10-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Just imagine how good it will feel to finally get one. I wouldn't give up, what else are going to do before the deer hunting picks up? Sleep in?

boxhitch
10-21-2007, 02:31 PM
So what is your perception of the elk in general ? Good numbers? lots of calves ? Yearlings? Fivepointers ?
A successful hunter on here says all is ok in tthe EK. ??

Will
10-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Elk hunting is for Losers anyways..........:biggrin:

Muley Hunting is the Sport of Kings 8)

todbartell
10-21-2007, 03:42 PM
whine whine whine

you'll be hunting 6 pointers in September 08...

model88
10-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Boy this thread sure could open up a can of worms.......:shock:

RMG
10-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Wondering how may elk you have seen during your quest for that ellusive 6 pter. Is it that your not in the elk, or just not connecting with the big ones. Maybe instead of giving up hunting 6pts, you should just not target them, hunt the mulies, but if you see that big one, be prepared.

Ddog
10-21-2007, 04:04 PM
i find that hilarious !! especially since you live in the EK.
this year ended up as the same conclusion as you BJ, no elk in the freezer, but it wasnt from lack of seeing 6 point elk.
i had several awesome chances at 6 pointers and the largest i called in was a 9x7 at the 18 yard mark but of course he stopped behind 2 trees and covered his vitals so the arrow didnt fly at him. i also had a couple sixes at around twenty yards that didnt pan out.
all in all it was a good year but just not as good as last years hunting.
this has got me thinking that i should pick up a rifle and just put an elk down and in the freezer, but in my opinion that would be way to easy. i am not ready to put down my bow and take the easy route (yet).
this elk season saw me take 5 nights off from september 1st. but unlike you i enjoyed every minute i was in the bush and saw some outstanding animals, that have my name on them for next year, lol,
ya right, thats what i said last year too.
now i will relax for a while and then go and hang my treestand and get ready for the upcoming whitetail rut, this should be fun.
cheers....

Jetboat
10-21-2007, 04:20 PM
They say a change is as good as a rest. As it's still open around here, hop in the pickup, come up few a few days and nail yourself a six point with all the practice you've gotten from previous forrays. Bring along The Wife TM and maybe she'll shoot a big bull moose to match her whitetail while your out chasing wapiti :biggrin:

brotherjack
10-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Just imagine how good it will feel to finally get one. I wouldn't give up, what else are going to do before the deer hunting picks up? Sleep in?

Oh, I've got one before. It doesn't feel any better than it does to hammer a nice deer, and it's a lot less fun to pack out and butcher.

And what do you mean "before the deer hunting picks up."? The deer hunting around here is always spectacular - you just have to use different techniques in the early season. :)

brotherjack
10-21-2007, 05:08 PM
So what is your perception of the elk in general ? Good numbers? lots of calves ? Yearlings? Fivepointers ?
A successful hunter on here says all is ok in tthe EK. ??

Oh, there's lots of elk around, I just basically never run into six pointers. Really don't even see all that many five's, though certainly a lot more often than I see six'es.

mark
10-21-2007, 05:52 PM
My elk season went the same this year, I too will be living on deer for the next year. Me on the other hand love hunting elk!

eastkoot
10-21-2007, 07:48 PM
I went dry as well this year, usually not the case, but I did see far more elk than usual. Most were 4's and 5's, some 6's that were where someone that's packed alot of meat won't go anymore !! All in all a good year with lots of exitement and game.

5 spike
10-21-2007, 08:07 PM
don,t give up your time will come.

lunatic
10-21-2007, 08:38 PM
I must say that I agree with Jetboat. Maybe it's time for a change of scenery. A nice trip north in September is always nice and IMHO.....NOTHING compares to a big bull elk bugling and chuckling up close ! How can you give that up?

dukester
10-21-2007, 09:16 PM
With all that time and $$/ gas /food spent for zero success ,, why not go with a guide and increase your odds?? then the next year you may know a new area to hunt next too. :roll:

bucktrack
10-21-2007, 09:20 PM
thats why we call it hunting not Killing. If only I had as much time as you!

Sharkey
10-21-2007, 09:54 PM
It's in your blood - you'll be hunting Elk in '08 just like todbartell said earlier...
~D

elkdom
10-22-2007, 12:01 AM
What can I say to make you feel better,hmm well I guess my own veiw is I would not stop till they kick dirt on my face, and to do that they would have to twist my elk bugle out of my frozen lips,gees if you quit elk huntin, you might as well not go on living, and besides if you quit this year, some goombah will have achance to kill YOUR 6x6 bullelk nextyear and the years you spent chasing that 6x6 elk will have been in vain, Good I thought you would see things my way!! eeooonnchch!

rocksteady
10-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Don't give up BroJ....Been there done that....Went out Saturday morning looking for a whitetail, ran into a herd of elk (40-50) with 3 bulls---1 spike, one 5by 4 and one unsure of cause he moved into the timber before it was light enough to count points....

I too have been frustrated this year by not getting my bull, but its my own fault, last year I got a 6by7 on the 15th of September, the year before I got a 5by 6 with my bow on September 7th, year before that I had a cow/calf draw, year before I got a 6 by 6 on Thanksgiving weekend, year before cow/calf......

Its easier to reflect back when all comes together early in the season and you feel like you are "Primos Pro Staff" material...It sucks when you give it a hell of an effort and come up with nada....

Most of the 4's and 5's you say this year, should be 6 's next....

I am sure as s oon as you start to see bulls in August of 08 in full velvet that you will get the urge again.....

Poguebilt
10-22-2007, 08:48 AM
My elk tagged went unpunched this year too... for the second year for me!

With me swithing jobs right in hunting season I didn't get out much. I finally got my first animal (black bear) after 4 years of trying... I'll be going after my first whitetail pretty quick with Hagen...

I learned alot more about Elk around these parts than other years!

Don't give up... We live in one of the greatest hunting spots in the world...

brotherjack
10-22-2007, 01:59 PM
NOTHING compares to a big bull elk bugling and chuckling up close ! How can you give that up?

It's pretty easy to give up, when stuff like that never happens to me. I spent every morning for almost a month straight this year, within maybe 200 yards or so of as many as 5 screaming bulls, not one of which I ever got to lay eyes on - all the cow calling in the world wouldn't convince any of them to come over an see me (nor did the power bugle, or anything else I tried). I even tried having The Wife sit 100 yards behind me and call like they setup in the videos sometimes, nope, no luck. I know from grapevine reports of six points that were shot in that exact area (and from the dwindling number of bulls screaming each morning as the season progressed) that at least two of them were six, and one was five who got shot-and-left. There were 3 other six point bulls killed within a 5km radius, not counting those two. Back in the timber, there were trees the size of my wrist so abused they were broke off at waist high, a variety of wallows, lots of rubs, etc. It was a great area.

In 5 years of (attempted) calling, I have never once had this whole bull charge in screaming to 10 yards thing happen - not once, not ever. It doesn't work when I try it, nor it has ever worked when supposedly experienced elk hunters have taken me out and tried to show me how it's done. Not once, not ever - never.

The bulls are either with a bunch of cows they don't want to leave, so they won't come to a cow call, and if I bugle then they'll take their cows and run off. Or often, they'll crash around to downwind, staying too far back in the timber to lay eyes on them, and then spook once they get my wind (and then once spooked, I have the lovely chore of locating where they moved to, because they don't usually come back to where I spooked them). Or they'll hang up out of visual range and scream at me for 3 hours straight every time I honk the hoocihe mamma. Or, when I get sick and tired of all that, and try to sneak up on them, at best I get a split second flash of rump patch as they go crashing away into the bush.

So, yeah, could I give up the whole elk bugling thing? In a heartbeat. I don't see what's supposed to be fun about it at all. It's just one more exhaustively frustrating thing about elk hunting as far as I'm concerned.

As I think back - I would say that 95%+ of the bull elk I've ever laid eyes on (as opposed to just heard them screaming in the bush, as noted above), were seen during drive-by sightings, or when I wasn't using a call at all and just sneaked in on them (or they on me).

Franko Manini
10-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Well, I can sympathize with you... but I won't. At least you live in the EK. I took the ferry, drove the 1000km from Vancouver Island, hunted in the EK for 10 days, and didn't come home with squat. My buddy scored a nice whitetail buck, and some members of the larger group scored on an elk, but honestly, they hunted harder than I did too.

I loved every minute of it.

Let me be clear... at least you live there!

You can now tuck your tail between your legs and head out for a fabulous deer hunt.

I drove myself back home to Vancovuer Island where we have to work our butts off for deer that are smaller than the dog in your avatar and more rare than... well... according to you, an EK 6 point elk.

Fisher-Dude
10-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Brotherjack, you're over-calling the bulls. That's why they won't come in - you're giving them all the information that they need to stay out of sight without having to check you out. I know it's tough not to bugle back or cow call for fear that they will lose interest in you (and sometimes they do), but if you can out wait them, and get their curiousity up as to where/what you are, they will come in.

Also, when you are partnering with the wife (tm), get her to call, and you should move in slowly on the bull rather than waiting for him to come to you. You may get busted, but you may not. If you bump his cows and scatter them, all the better as he might come looking for you, or pass by as he tries to round them up.

It's not an exact science (hence the liberal use of the word "may"), but I can recognize some of the situations you're finding yourself in, and I know what is keeping the bulls out of sight. If he can stay near his cows and know exactly where you are, he won't come in. Silence is golden!

Remember that Primos and the rest of them are calling elk on ranches with high elk concentrations to make their movies - "real" hunts are much different. The only guy I've seen that is in realistic situations is Larry D Jones. He is the Master IMO.

And yes, I've called them in to a few feet, shot some "in self defense" 8-), and will never give up the opportunity to hunt them.

bruin
10-22-2007, 02:31 PM
I sayifou really don't like it that much any more there is lots of other game out there to be had. Life is too short. My bet is it won't be too long before you're back after elk. I feel that way at the end of the guiding season usually, hunting is the last thing I want to do but after a week or two of not hunting i am dying to get back at it. Do whatever feels good.

The Hermit
10-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Yeah to heck with elk hunting... you should definately not go back anymoe... don't waste your time and money in the EK. Get yourself an LEH Rosie draw next year! ;-)

GoatGuy
10-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Keep your chin up Brother - it'll happen for you.

I'm hoping to see a change in those regulations in the future that'll let folks get out and put some hair on the ground.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Have you read Mike Lapinski's book Radical Techniques(or Strategies-can't remember) for Elk??
Great book for closing the deal.

SSS

quadrakid
10-22-2007, 07:38 PM
brother jack you must not give up on the elk! i enjoy reading about you and your wifes exploits in the koots too much to have you give it up. give it 9 months or so and i,m sure your elk mojo will return.

Seeadler
10-23-2007, 03:17 PM
The only 6 point that I saw this year in the EK was in the back of someone's truck. I did sneak up on a big 5 point though, should have taken one of his cows. I am probably the only person who never filled a Zone X tag this year. Had several chances at cows or calfs, just was holding out for a bull until it was too late. Oh well, next year.

rollingrock
10-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Maybe next year you'll still go for elk. It's an addiction that you'll never get rid of. But honestly I've never been a trophy hunter and never wanted to be one all because of the pain you mentioned plus the cost factor. Some say that hunting can never be cheap, and if you want to get cheap meat you go grocery shopping. Sorry I really don't buy that. Well I think I shouldn't have hijacked the topic. :D

Ddog
10-23-2007, 04:49 PM
no way,,,dont listen to them BJ,,GIVE IT UP NOW,,, one less gun in the EK for elk hunting is fine by me!
in the three years i have hunted elk here i have had nothing but success in calling in bulls, but the perfect shot has not yet come. every single time i go into the bush there is always a good chance on seeing bulls for me.
the more i think of it the bigger a smile i get on my face knowing that at least i have no problem getting them within 40 yards.
so in short,,you should give up, plain and simple, quit whining and just hang the gun on the wall and shoot your deer and be happy.

brotherjack
10-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Wow, Ddog - where did you learn how to make friends? Welcome to my ignore list. :)

hunter1947
10-23-2007, 09:04 PM
It's pretty easy to give up, when stuff like that never happens to me. I spent every morning for almost a month straight this year, within maybe 200 yards or so of as many as 5 screaming bulls, not one of which I ever got to lay eyes on - all the cow calling in the world wouldn't convince any of them to come over an see me (nor did the power bugle, or anything else I tried). I even tried having The Wife sit 100 yards behind me and call like they setup in the videos sometimes, nope, no luck. I know from grapevine reports of six points that were shot in that exact area (and from the dwindling number of bulls screaming each morning as the season progressed) that at least two of them were six, and one was five who got shot-and-left. There were 3 other six point bulls killed within a 5km radius, not counting those two. Back in the timber, there were trees the size of my wrist so abused they were broke off at waist high, a variety of wallows, lots of rubs, etc. It was a great area.

In 5 years of (attempted) calling, I have never once had this whole bull charge in screaming to 10 yards thing happen - not once, not ever. It doesn't work when I try it, nor it has ever worked when supposedly experienced elk hunters have taken me out and tried to show me how it's done. Not once, not ever - never.

The bulls are either with a bunch of cows they don't want to leave, so they won't come to a cow call, and if I bugle then they'll take their cows and run off. Or often, they'll crash around to downwind, staying too far back in the timber to lay eyes on them, and then spook once they get my wind (and then once spooked, I have the lovely chore of locating where they moved to, because they don't usually come back to where I spooked them). Or they'll hang up out of visual range and scream at me for 3 hours straight every time I honk the hoocihe mamma. Or, when I get sick and tired of all that, and try to sneak up on them, at best I get a split second flash of rump patch as they go crashing away into the bush.

So, yeah, could I give up the whole elk bugling thing? In a heartbeat. I don't see what's supposed to be fun about it at all. It's just one more exhaustively frustrating thing about elk hunting as far as I'm concerned.

As I think back - I would say that 95%+ of the bull elk I've ever laid eyes on (as opposed to just heard them screaming in the bush, as noted above), were seen during drive-by sightings, or when I wasn't using a call at all and just sneaked in on them (or they on me).
I found the same thing happening to me ,the bull will not come to you and leave his cows. But i did figure out how to overcome that problem ,i would listen to the bulls bugle ,he give me his possion ,i would not call to him at all ,then i moved in on him as close as possible ,then i let out a bugle ,he got mad in come in on me ,this happened to me three different times i called the bull away from his cows ,but all three times they were big 5x5. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif.

mainland hunter
10-23-2007, 09:43 PM
[quote= i have no problem getting them within 40 yards.
so in short,,you should give up, plain and simple, quit whining and just hang the gun on the wall and shoot your deer and be happy.[/quote]

we cant all be superstars :roll:

bosch
10-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Don't just rely on that hoochie mama, although it is a great cow call I find mixing up the cow calls with different pitches sometimes works better. We use the hyper hot call which I find in the Kootenays works to a tee.
Me and hunter1947 had a monster 5 point come barreling in on the hyper-hot october the 6th, but could'nt get any action on the hoochie mama. also whatsomeone said earlier about over calling is very true especially if the elk are not talking. I find that elk are probably the hardest animal to hunt but that is what makes it exciting and challenging. Keep on that horse man!

Ddog
10-24-2007, 03:57 PM
I LOVE IT!!! thanks for making me laugh today BJ

10-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Brother Jack,

Have you tried praying to Jeebus to improve your hunting success??

308BAR
10-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Have you tried moose...:wink::shock: just kidding keep up the good fight and do whatever gives you the rush. 40 days is a lot of time, you could of by your record have hunted 5.71 4pt deer by now. Times 180lbs on the hook 1028lbs of venison which is almost a good size elk in meat. :wink: good luck!

Kirby
10-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Sorry, maybe I am wrong Brother jack, but didn't you connect with a 6 point this year?

Kirby

brotherjack
10-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Have you tried moose...:wink::shock: just kidding keep up the good fight and do whatever gives you the rush. 40 days is a lot of time, you could of by your record have hunted 5.71 4pt deer by now. Times 180lbs on the hook 1028lbs of venison which is almost a good size elk in meat. :wink: good luck!

Hah! 1028lbs would be bigger than any elk I've ever laid eyes on by about twice. Though, it's not legal for me to shoot 5.71 deer (at least not without a lot of travel expenses).

And yeah, that was kind of the point I was getting at when I started this thread - note to self: I'd rather hunt deer ANY day... (though I'd rather eat elk). :)

brotherjack
10-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Sorry, maybe I am wrong Brother jack, but didn't you connect with a 6 point this year?

Nope, I did not. You may be remembering the story I shared about the elk my wife put a bullet in, but we couldn't find in time to save the meat. I have another long story that concludes that one I need to get around to telling here one of these days.

Will
10-25-2007, 06:31 PM
brotherJack,
You're missing the Number 1 reason most Folks get out and Hunt Elk during the 6 point seasons...............

It's the Booze man ! :lol:

hunter1947
10-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Hey broutherjack don't get down on yourself ,i hunted for elk for 5 weeks up there and never got one ,there is always next year to look forward to.:lol:.

Kody94
10-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Have you read Mike Lapinski's book Radical Techniques(or Strategies-can't remember) for Elk??
Great book for closing the deal.

SSS

+1 (Radical Elk Hunting Strategies)

If you get that much bugling, but aren't getting them in, it sounds to me like you aren't being aggressive enough. Get in their personal space. There is NOTHING more fun in hunting than that.

Cheers,
Canuck

hunter1947
10-26-2007, 05:59 AM
If everyone out there that hunted elk every year ,got an elk every year ,there would be none left ,look at it this way ,at least the ones that didnt get shot will be there for next year. And if there good bulls ,they will pass the jean poll on for the next generation.;-).

todbartell
10-26-2007, 12:54 PM
brotherJack,
You're missing the Number 1 reason most Folks get out and Hunt Elk during the 6 point seasons...............

It's the Booze man ! :lol:

or the meth (banned?)

Tikka7mm
11-02-2007, 11:43 AM
I had a tough time as well in the Kootenays. Cranbrook area. We went for 10 days saw a few 5 pointers and even some 6pointers but the 6ers were just too far away. I put in for a cow or calf draw but didn't get one. It's too bad to because I saw lots of cows. I think I will plan for my first mooose/muley trip next Sept/Oct. Elk hunting was very frustrating but we still had fun none the less.

hunter1947
11-02-2007, 08:12 PM
I had a tough time as well in the Kootenays. Cranbrook area. We went for 10 days saw a few 5 pointers and even some 6pointers but the 6ers were just too far away. I put in for a cow or calf draw but didn't get one. It's too bad to because I saw lots of cows. I think I will plan for my first mooose/muley trip next Sept/Oct. Elk hunting was very frustrating but we still had fun none the less.
Tell me about it ,i was in there for 5 weeks and didn't get a bull http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif.

Tikka7mm
11-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Tell me about it ,i was in there for 5 weeks and didn't get a bull http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif.

For five weeks! Jeez, i wish I had five weeks to go hunting. I hope you atleast got a whitey. This is the first time I or any of my partners have ever tried hunting for Elk. A few of them had hunted the area for whitetails up there for years with great success and had seen hundreds of Elk over the years. I just wish we knew half the stuff you guys have been mentioning about hunting elk before we went up there. I guess you have to learn the hard way sometimes. We tried all sorts of calls as well. It was my impression that when you timber hunt Elk you are supposed to be quiet but I've had guys tell me it's the opposite. Once you hear them your supposed to break trees and branches etc and make all sorts of noise just ike an Elk would. Idon't know if this is true or not. The whole time I was up there timber hunting I was as quiet as a mouse. I never snuck up on one intentionally, not even one. All the elk that I saw were either across a valley or ran out across the road while I was either coming or going to the area that i wanted to hunt. We went to the local butchers to drop off our deer and saw lots of Elk coming in (mostly cows). I think some of the reason for our lack of success may have had something do with the under 19 over 65 cow season. It's my understanding that it was the first time they allowed this. This put a lot of pressure on those elk that they weren't used to. Maybe it pushed them back further into the timber. That's one of my excuses. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed just being out there with my friends and I'll probably go again but I'll do a little more research before i go next time.:)

hunter1947
11-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Tikka 7mm ,yes i got a ok whitetail 3x4 ,it was 140 pounds ready to butcher. I could of had some dandies in there ,i had my safety off 4 times on bucks that were 5x5s or bigger. but i did not shoot because we were onto a bull. You don't know how flustrating it was for me when you could not shoot at these big bucks.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif. I saw about 25 bulls and about 100 cow and cafes. Out of the 25 bulls i would think that there might have been 4 ,6x5 or 6x6 ,i couldn't see there antlers that good when i called them in ,was a thick area in different places i hunted in there. I saw five ,5x5 and nice ones at that. And lots of smaller ones. But that is the way it goes some years. Everyone was saying you won't have any problem's getting your bull if you go there for 5 weeks. I replied back to some of the forum members before i went up there . I said i don't count the chickens before they hatch ,and they never did ,LOL http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

mark4
02-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Brotherjack- I live in the East Kootenay's too, and I appreciate your honesty about how tough it can be hunting here. Yes you can spend the whole season hiking.. and waiting... and calling.... and busting elk.... without ever getting the crosshairs on a six point. I can offer you a few tips if you want - I have shot a six point elk for six years in a row- well - exept this last year where it was my turn to get skunked -and that is exactly what happened - I got fully skunked !! Anyway's that's hunting sometimes. Don't road hunt, your time is better spent atleast a kilometer or two from the nearest road. keep scouting until you find ridiculous amounts of sign- It should look like a herd of buffalo have been destroying the area and it should actually reak of elk - I'm not kidding the area should smell like a strong musky odour from the bulls. There should be huge rubs nearby, fresh crap, trenches not trails- muddy trenches!! wallows with fresh mud and tracks everywhere. Once you find this spot you will know it- It won't be within shooting distance of a road. It will be shady and damp, with little creeks and springs nearby, as well as meadows that border deep dark timber. Place a portable treestand within two hundred yards of the wallow so you have a nice clear shot. Sneak in there in the dark and cow call very little at first light. Face the fear of grizzlies- it's worth it- It may take up to five or six mornings of doing this same routine but this is what I do and it does work - that is until a huge five point takes control of the heard and scares all the six points away!!!!

mark4
02-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Brotherjack- I live in the East Kootenay's too, and I appreciate your honesty about how tough it can be hunting here. Yes you can spend the whole season hiking.. and waiting... and calling.... and busting elk.... without ever getting the crosshairs on a six point. I can offer you a few tips if you want - I have shot a six point elk for six years in a row- well - exept this last year where it was my turn to get skunked -and that is exactly what happened - I got fully skunked !! Anyway's that's hunting sometimes. Don't road hunt, your time is better spent atleast a kilometer or two from the nearest road. keep scouting until you find ridiculous amounts of sign- It should look like a herd of buffalo have been destroying the area and it should actually reak of elk - I'm not kidding the area should smell like a strong musky odour from the bulls. There should be huge rubs nearby, fresh crap, trenches not trails- muddy trenches!! wallows with fresh mud and tracks everywhere. Once you find this spot you will know it- It won't be within shooting distance of a road. It will be shady and damp, with little creeks and springs nearby, as well as meadows that border deep dark timber. Place a portable treestand within two hundred yards of the wallow so you have a nice clear shot. Sneak in there in the dark and cow call very little at first light. Face the fear of grizzlies- it's worth it- It may take up to five or six mornings of doing this same routine but this is what I do and it does work - that is until a huge five point takes control of the heard and scares all the six points away!!!!

sfire436
02-11-2008, 05:11 PM
I had my chance at my first East Kootney six point this year. Had my crosshairs on him and evrything. Went to squeeze off the round and nothin..........damn saftey arrrrg. ROOKIE mistake. I guess the bull heard my swearing in my head and bolted. Guess I will just stick to moose.

hunter1947
02-12-2008, 05:27 AM
Brotherjack- I live in the East Kootenay's too, and I appreciate your honesty about how tough it can be hunting here. Yes you can spend the whole season hiking.. and waiting... and calling.... and busting elk.... without ever getting the crosshairs on a six point. I can offer you a few tips if you want - I have shot a six point elk for six years in a row- well - exept this last year where it was my turn to get skunked -and that is exactly what happened - I got fully skunked !! Anyway's that's hunting sometimes. Don't road hunt, your time is better spent atleast a kilometer or two from the nearest road. keep scouting until you find ridiculous amounts of sign- It should look like a herd of buffalo have been destroying the area and it should actually reak of elk - I'm not kidding the area should smell like a strong musky odour from the bulls. There should be huge rubs nearby, fresh crap, trenches not trails- muddy trenches!! wallows with fresh mud and tracks everywhere. Once you find this spot you will know it- It won't be within shooting distance of a road. It will be shady and damp, with little creeks and springs nearby, as well as meadows that border deep dark timber. Place a portable treestand within two hundred yards of the wallow so you have a nice clear shot. Sneak in there in the dark and cow call very little at first light. Face the fear of grizzlies- it's worth it- It may take up to five or six mornings of doing this same routine but this is what I do and it does work - that is until a huge five point takes control of the heard and scares all the six points away!!!! That is well put wording ,very well said http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif. But can you tell me how I make a 5x5 into a 6x5 ,yes thats what I saw last year, lots of 5x5 . I proubly did see some 6x6 but never got to make out the points on the intire beam on the one side.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif. And yes I was in all the places you have described ,I sure hope the table will turn for me on this years hunt. :roll:.

model88
02-12-2008, 08:38 AM
'47 soon to be in a store near you, The Bolt A Bone. Adds that extra 1" we all so desperatly need:biggrin::biggrin:

kenkell1
02-12-2008, 01:19 PM
I didn't get my 6x6 this year either BUT I saw more bulls this year then ever before. I saw two seven points this year and one was shot by my buddy. The other 7 point wasn't within shooting range but was a dandy herd bull.
I had a 6x6 spooked all to hell as I was calling it in and some guy from Vancouver Island drove up the road and saw one of the 5 cows standing there and he shot it. At first I was choked but when I got down to the spot to give the guy a hand all I saw was one very excited 70 year old man. Yep it was during the senior cow hunt so it was cool although I told him that there was a nice 6x6 with the cow.
I'll never give up Elk hunting and just because I didn't get mine this year doesn't mean I didn't enjoy hunting.

alremkin
02-12-2008, 02:00 PM
I quit hunting in the EK when they went to the 6 point rule. I got a 5 point before the change and that was hard enough and it was a great meat animal. With a stout fork I could cut the shoulder roast it was that tender. The animal was clean, had't been in any major fights. I've been up north many times since where although the 6 point rule is in affect, moose are also open at the same time unlike EK. Someday before I take a dirtbath I want to jet boat up into 7-50.:smile:

rocksteady
02-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I'll never give up Elk hunting and just because I didn't get mine this year doesn't mean I didn't enjoy hunting.

AGREED.......

hunter1947
02-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Last years elk hunt is one for me to remember ,I didn't get one but I had a blast and I thank the lord for giving me my health and letting me hunt these magnificent animalshttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

kenkell1
02-12-2008, 07:01 PM
People tend to forget that the thrill of the hunt isn't just about the kill.
There is nothing more enjoyable then getting up in the early hours and heading into the bush waiting for the break of day and hearing the bush wake up as day light comes.
Sounding off your bugle and having 2 or 3 bulls answer back is what really gets me going and even if they are 5 points it is still one of the most incredible sounds in the world to hear an elk answer you back.
Yes I love elk meat and to me it is the best there is but to me that is the grand prize for a game well played.

brotherjack
02-12-2008, 08:47 PM
See, you guys are just making my point for me. My point is - I'm not a "sport" hunter. I don't hunt for the "thrill" of it - I hunt because I want to kill and eat that animal, and I'd rather kill one sooner instead of later. There are various reasons I hunt, but putting meat in the freezer is far and away the primary reason - so much so that if hunting did not put meat in my freezer every year, then I would not hunt.

Kody94
02-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Brotherjack,

I think maybe you just want it too bad. The floodgates will open up for you one of these days. :) Its probably as simple as just needing to find a better spot! My buddies and I get into 6 pts every year without exception. I am not a trophy hunter per se, but I am selective with elk because I don't need that much meat (ie. passing them up is just an excuse to hunt more!) . And I normally hunt them with a bow, just to increase the challenge, and force me to get into spitting distance with them...which is a huge rush. I have gotten into a lot more bulls since I started using a bow too...but its a helluva challenge to try and close the deal with a bow.

Cheers,
4Ster

Seeadler
02-13-2008, 12:26 AM
See, you guys are just making my point for me. My point is - I'm not a "sport" hunter. I don't hunt for the "thrill" of it - I hunt because I want to kill and eat that animal, and I'd rather kill one sooner instead of later. There are various reasons I hunt, but putting meat in the freezer is far and away the primary reason - so much so that if hunting did not put meat in my freezer every year, then I would not hunt.

Between you and your wife you can take 4 deer, I don't know how many mouths you have too feed, but that is a fair bit of meat right there. And your wife did land a bullet on a 6 point bull elk this season. I never even saw a 6 point bull this past year that wasn't already in the back of someone's pickup. This is just the way it goes, in '06 I took my bull on my first day out and after that it seemed like there was a 6 pt behind every bush. The bottom line is regardless of restrictions, there are not enough elk for everyone to get one every year.

todbartell
02-13-2008, 12:41 AM
why not buy a side of beef for $700

better eating on average than any elk and its cheaper than hunting. you dont need to buy a Kimber rifle to shoot a cow :D

Everyone hunts for different reasons, that is for sure

brotherjack
02-13-2008, 12:49 AM
The bottom line is regardless of restrictions, there are not enough elk for everyone to get one every year.

My complaint with the restriction is that there is more than plenty of elk in the EK that we have zero reason (other than trophy hunting considerations) to be hunting under a six point season.

Nobody ever said it would mean that everyone could get an elk any more than the any-buck whitetail season means everyone gets a whitetail every year - but, like the any-buck whitetail, it would certainly mean a lot more of us could get one on a regular basis.

brotherjack
02-13-2008, 01:03 AM
why not buy a side of beef for $700

better eating on average than any elk

LOL! And here all this time I thought you were just joking about hitting the crack pipe (or was it meth?)!!!! There is not a moo-cow on planet earth that produces meat even remotely as good as elk. People invented steak sauce and meat tenderizer because cows are tough and tasteless (and I'm no fan of fat in my steaks either)!

Elk meat on the other hand is goregous - I would eat elk meat raw and unseasoned if The Wife wasn't always going on about how I'm likely to get some kind of disease from uncooked meat; so I settle for extra rare with a dash of salt and garlic. I like venision quite well too, but not nearly so well as elk. Now that I think about it, I've never had wild meat of any kind that I didn't consider significantly better than moo-cow.

P.S. - Though I am very seriously considering taking a little road trip to go shoot a buffalo at one of those farms everyone talks about. Assuming I'd like buffalo meat (I'm told it's on par with moose and elk) that would take the pressure off for getting meat in the freezer, and I could spend my hunting season happily hunting deer.

todbartell
02-13-2008, 01:11 AM
dont buy your meat at Safeway ;)

The Dawg
02-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Buffalo meat is incredible...absolutely delicious, but not quite good enough for me to do a canned hunt...just a personal preference, but I would rather work for it

hunter1947
02-13-2008, 05:18 AM
Myself I'm not a trophy hunter. The elk meat you put on the table if your lucky enough to get one is one of the best you could eat . I'm lucky that two of our group got two 6x6 last year or I wouldn't have any to put on the dinner table ,what I have seen in the last 5 years for numbers of elk increase in the area I hunt is unbelievable. What I have heard from all other areas in 4-4 is that the numbers are very healthy. I would think that a 3 or better season for a week would not hurt the population in any way ,this would help the meat hunters to put meat on the table that year. The one thing that they would have to do is make it mandatory that you send in the tooth of the elk and wear shot to keep count on how many were shot that year. This way they got a handle on how many were taken that year. Once the wildlife department has analyzed the count for that year and the numbers of animals taken were to great they could cancel the 3 or better season for a few years until they build in numbers again. But I don't think opening a one week season is going to have any impact on the elk population . In order to compensate ,close the season down one week earlier that would take care of the one week they opened it up for 3 or bigger.

alremkin
02-13-2008, 05:32 AM
It would be good to see some type of season for other than 6 point elk. It's tought to count the points. And tough to get near a 6 point if he has a harem of a dozen or more cows and a few satellite bulls hanging around. Too many times I've heard the sound of pounding hoves. It sort of reminds me of jumping a pheasant only much louder. Hopefully something will happen to allow SOME hunting of the smaller bulls, good meat animals, before I'm to old to hunt anymore.:-?

Kody94
02-13-2008, 07:22 PM
P.S. - Though I am very seriously considering taking a little road trip to go shoot a buffalo at one of those farms everyone talks about. Assuming I'd like buffalo meat (I'm told it's on par with moose and elk) that would take the pressure off for getting meat in the freezer, and I could spend my hunting season happily hunting deer.

Its a great option. That is the reason I am as selective as I am. My Dad had a bison ranch up until this summer...so for the last 12 years my freezer has always been full of bison meat.

I highly recommend it.

Cheers
4Ster