PDA

View Full Version : Gun safe suggestions

decker9
10-03-2020, 02:31 PM
With a budget of a couple grand +\-, I知 looking for a new safe in the 40段sh rifle capacity (twice as big as I need). My top concern with my goods, is fire. In my searching, the best fire rated safe Iv found is the huntshield from Canadian tire, which is rated for up to 75 minutes at 1400 degrees. Definitely not as fancy as some other safes, but I知 after self insurance more then looks.

I知 curious if there are any other recommendations that I should be looking at, with fire rating in mind.

Thanks in advance.

stinkyduck
10-03-2020, 09:36 PM
I just got one from costco, said was made in the USA, but not on the box, said will hold 32 plus 6. NO WAY!! Maybe a few more than a dozen, I will modify it. Has a good fire rating and also water proof to a meter and a week. they never hold what they say they will.

Bustercluck
10-03-2020, 10:55 PM
I have a Cabela’s safe with a keypad. I’m not sure on the fire eating, but after some research I found out the dial type lock up are far more reliable.

Ride Red
10-04-2020, 07:44 AM
There used to be a company in Kamloops that made safes. Rough Country Safes I own two of them and are fire rated to 45 minutes. Sometimes locksmiths have used ones too as the Yale Rd Chilliwack had a couple awhile back. A fireman I know said to always place them in the basement against an outside wall.

decker9
10-04-2020, 07:56 AM
Hey thanks guys :)

The sports afield from Costco, was the first one on my radar, they look like a sweet safe. The fire rating kind of detoured me though, with 40 minutes at 1200 degrees, is on the lower end of the scale from what Iv seen.

Buster, great tip thank you, something I will definitely keep in mind!!

I’ll try giving that outfit a lookup RR, another good tip on safe location. I am planning on the basement, in the case of a fire, it would be a good drop down into the basement lol.

Ride Red
10-04-2020, 08:07 AM
Another thing to do for a better fire rating is frame your room in the basement with steel studs (ceiling too) and 5/8” drywall. Use mineral wool or compatible fire rated insulated batts.

300rum700
10-04-2020, 08:26 AM
I’d read up on fore ratings before I dropped more money than necessary. From what I read your guns will still be damaged but they won’t be in a melted pile at the bottom of the safe. Better off buying better insurance than forking our extra cash on a fancy safe.

decker9
10-04-2020, 09:39 AM
I’d read up on fore ratings before I dropped more money than necessary. From what I read your guns will still be damaged but they won’t be in a melted pile at the bottom of the safe. Better off buying better insurance than forking our extra cash on a fancy safe.

This is my biggest concern. The wood stocked rifles I own are very sentimental, no money could replace. Damaged finish I could deal with, but burnt or damaged wood, would defeat the purpose totally.

Biggest reason I’m leaning to a good fire rated safe at the moment, is I’ll be moving into a older wood heated home for the next year or two (wood heat paranoias me), while we get our new house built, witch will have additional fire protection for my man room for sure.

300rum700
10-04-2020, 10:15 AM
This is my biggest concern. The wood stocked rifles I own are very sentimental, no money could replace. Damaged finish I could deal with, but burnt or damaged wood, would defeat the purpose totally.

Biggest reason I’m leaning to a good fire rated safe at the moment, is I’ll be moving into a older wood heated home for the next year or two (wood heat paranoias me), while we get our new house built, witch will have additional fire protection for my man room for sure.

Any substantial fire WILL damage your guns especially wood stocked rifles. Really understand what your buying before you drop your cash, most "fire proofing" comes from sheet rock installed inside the safe and you pay a premium for it. I dont think your budget will allow for a true fire rated safe.

decker9
10-04-2020, 03:12 PM
Any substantial fire WILL damage your guns especially wood stocked rifles. Really understand what your buying before you drop your cash, most "fire proofing" comes from sheet rock installed inside the safe and you pay a premium for it. I dont think your budget will allow for a true fire rated safe.

The more I look into it, the more true this is. I may have to up this budget, and not just a little it’s looking like.

bigredchev
10-04-2020, 04:42 PM
Peavey Mart in Kamloops has 40 gun safes on for 399. Buy one and then get a new rifle, win win.

Beaver Skin
10-08-2020, 10:04 PM
Sturdy safes out of California have a different take on fire ratings. Have a look there. Last time I browsed Craigslist there were a couple of Amsec TL15 rated safes. Most of the safes listed thus far, especially the big box store versions, use sheet rock that will vent moisture into the safe. This will dammage the stocks. Once the sheet rock dries, it crumbles leaving you with an unprotected interior.