PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa opens door to First Nations fisheries authority

IronNoggin
10-02-2020, 11:30 AM
Fisheries and Oceans Minister Bernadette Jordan said today the federal government is open to the creation of a First Nations fisheries authority,

Jordan also said a sound management framework is necessary for the management and conservation of fish stocks. That statement upset many First Nations people who felt the minister was telling them they had to follow Canada's fishing management model or face consequences.

Jordan appeared to soften her tone the following day in an updated statement that did not mention the need for a framework or enforcement.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/minister-jordan-first-nations-fisheries-authority-1.5746497

Surrey Boy
10-02-2020, 07:57 PM
Hereditary titles are antithetical to equality and impartiality.

How our activist judges forget this confounds me.

dougan
10-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Try and stop me from fishing I dare them.wont be pretty

dougan
10-02-2020, 08:20 PM
We all share the fish stocks don’t tell me you have more rights because of your tan or I call racist!!

HarryToolips
10-02-2020, 09:06 PM
^^^^I agree...our govt continues to be ballless when standing up to FNs....

Downwindtracker2
10-03-2020, 09:16 AM
The true crime is decline of the fish stocks. When there isn't anything left, we can give them that. They were a large part of the reason.

adriaticum
10-03-2020, 09:25 AM
Canada being eroded further

dakoda62
10-03-2020, 05:43 PM
They cant manage their own reserves.

boxhitch
10-03-2020, 05:59 PM
The true crime is decline of the fish stocks. When there isn't anything left, we can give them that. They were a large part of the reason.IMO we are there now in many runs. Twatowa is glad to off load the responsibility to another gov't, thisw way Fed and Prov Gov't have a scapegoat, albeit a hungry one that will need lots of green feed.
But thats easy if they just transfer licensing and tags over also

2tins
10-04-2020, 04:09 AM
They cant manage their own reserves.

This is a good point because how they run their reserves is how they will run the fishery. The rich will get richer and poor will stay poor. The hierarchy system of the reserves pretty much guarantees it. I doubt very much that the wealth will be shared equally among all the band members.

Ride Red
10-04-2020, 07:55 AM
FN haven’t been able to manage anything for a millennia, so how can they manage or resurrect the dwindling stocks at present. Fisheries should be a provincial government entity and funded/enhanced to build stocks as close to former glory as possible. This will take all stakeholders to task and greed needs to be left behind. Leadership is nonexistent in this province from government, FN through to the BCWF. I write this in disgust as no one seems to be stepping up for the right reasons, short of shedding responsibilities and plain greed.