PDA

View Full Version : Cabela’s Pack Frame

Arctic Lake
09-30-2020, 07:06 PM
Do any of you guys use a Cabelas pack frame for hauling meat out ? I saw online they had a Alaskan
Outfitter model that looked heavy duty but it says no longer available .
Arctic Lake

Ron.C
09-30-2020, 07:15 PM
I've used the same Alaskan pack frame for nearly 10 years. Been on 4 backpack goat hunts, griz hunt, elk hunts, deer hunts and black bear hunts. Packed out all of the previous game except the griz.

Packed out my 3rd elk with it a couple weeks back.

thick
09-30-2020, 07:32 PM
Packed out a moose with the Alaskan outfitter model last year, worked well and the hip belt and shoulder straps are good. As far as longevity, I don’t know as this was one animal. I’ve probably had the pack for 6 or 7 years prior, just never used it prior.

recommend ratchet straps to tighten your load down so it’s not flopping around

Arctic Lake
10-01-2020, 07:50 AM
Well two good reviews but I wonder what Cabelas has as the replacement need to look into that as mentioned the Alaskan
Outfitter is no longer available
Arctic Lake

Ruger.270
10-01-2020, 08:47 AM
I've got just the older outfitter frame and for this weekend coming up picked up the newer Alaskan with the bag as well. Heading up to Kamloops to see if we can bag a mulie. Will let you know how the two models do hauling meat if we get lucky.

Feels like either is going to be a pain with having the rifle sling slide off my shoulder though.

Ron.C
10-01-2020, 09:05 AM
Feels like either is going to be a pain with having the rifle sling slide off my shoulder though.

I remover the to cross bar (mine is pinned) and sling my rifle over the frame and my arm can still pass through the sling. Works great.

Arctic Lake,

I know 1 guy that uses the newer Cabelas Frame pack
His only complaint is that it is "sqeaky" compared to the Alaskan but he has packed out a couple blacktail and 1 bear with it.

bighornbob
10-01-2020, 09:31 AM
Pack frame is on sale right now. Got an email this morning with the new flyer.

DBM
10-01-2020, 11:55 AM
Just tried my new Alaskan out yesterday. My biggest complaint is it's a bit on the squeaky side but it seems built pretty well for a $140 pack. The frame isn't adjustable but mine fits me well.

Ruger.270
10-01-2020, 12:54 PM
I remover the to cross bar (mine is pinned) and sling my rifle over the frame and my arm can still pass through the sling. Works great.

Arctic Lake,

I know 1 guy that uses the newer Cabelas Frame pack
His only complaint is that it is "sqeaky" compared to the Alaskan but he has packed out a couple blacktail and 1 bear with it.

Good idea, thanks Ron C.

wlbc
10-01-2020, 12:56 PM
Do any of you guys use a Cabelas pack frame for hauling meat out ? I saw online they had a Alaskan
Outfitter model that looked heavy duty but it says no longer available .
Arctic Lake

I bought the Cabelas outfitter packframe and had poor durability with it. I replaced it with a Tatonka Lastenkraxe, these are available at the Vernon Home Hardware and probably elsewhere. I've had mine for over 10 years now and it has packed a lot of weight out, good pack very comfortable.

https://www.tatonka.com/en/product/lastenkraxe/

moosinaround
10-01-2020, 02:08 PM
I have the Cabelas Alaskan frame. I've packed out lots of meat with it. Had to replace a couple buckles, but other than that its been comfy to put weight on it! I also bought a Tatonka, and my buddy has a Tatonka as well. I can attest to the Tatonka being able to haul HUGE loads of meat, and capes!! Moosin

Arctic Lake
10-01-2020, 09:43 PM
Okay Thank You fellas for the replies .! I think the Tatonka would be very expensive ! ?
Arctic Lake

Ruger.270
10-06-2020, 08:54 AM
We ended up dragging out our two bucks this weekend (probably should have packed one of them) so didn't get a chance to test the frame out.

Arctic Lake
10-10-2020, 09:38 PM
I was at the Abbotsford store the other day and from what I could see of what looked higher end was the Cabalas branded pack frame the Prestige Pack Frame no bag $199.00.

Or. The Prestige Pack frame and bag for $$299.00

Or the Alaskan I pack frame and bag $ 199.00

Do you think the Prestige is a better frame than the Alaskan as the Alaskan has a round tube frame the Prestige triangular ? Also the bags seem quite different ?
Also what about the differences in the bags between the Prestige and the Alaskan ?

Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
10-11-2020, 09:45 AM
Anyone ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

REMINGTON JIM
10-11-2020, 10:18 AM
Anyone ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

PM Sent ! RJ

Ron.C
10-11-2020, 10:40 AM
At some point, you just need to make a judgement call and just go with it. I can see if you are torn between 2 items that cost allot of money but for a couple hundred bucks sometimes you just need to make a call and give it a try considering your own requirements and hunting style.

IMO, neither of these packs are as good as the discontinued Alaskan Guide. If it were me, I'd use the Alaskan 1 over the Prestige and look for another bag to fit on it. I looked at the prestige frame a couple times and wasn't impressed.

The bags on all Cabela's packs have never been very good. Mine is ok if fully loaded but lacks compression ability and is floppy/noisy if loaded light. It's pockets are external almost inaccessible when lightly loaded as the zippers bind. When fully loaded, it sticks out too far past the sides of the frame and you can't move your arm back without hitting pockets--- uncomfortable and frustrating when packing long distances.

It's been in a box in my garage since my last Griz hunt and a Tatonka Lastenkraxe bag now sits on my frame.

Arctic Lake
10-11-2020, 03:03 PM
Will respond RJ !
Arctic Lake
PM Sent ! RJ

Arctic Lake
10-11-2020, 03:04 PM
Good information Thanks Ron C !
Arctic Lake
At some point, you just need to make a judgement call and just go with it. I can see if you are torn between 2 items that cost allot of money but for a couple hundred bucks sometimes you just need to make a call and give it a try considering your own requirements and hunting style.

IMO, neither of these packs are as good as the discontinued Alaskan Guide. If it were me, I'd use the Alaskan 1 over the Prestige and look for another bag to fit on it. I looked at the prestige frame a couple times and wasn't impressed.

The bags on all Cabela's packs have never been very good. Mine is ok if fully loaded but lacks compression ability and is floppy/noisy if loaded light. It's pockets are external almost inaccessible when lightly loaded as the zippers bind. When fully loaded, it sticks out too far past the sides of the frame and you can't move your arm back without hitting pockets--- uncomfortable and frustrating when packing long distances.

It's been in a box in my garage since my last Griz hunt and a Tatonka Lastenkraxe bag now sits on my frame.

Sitkaspruce
10-11-2020, 07:56 PM
If you are going to hike and hunt with it, then I would look at an MR/SG/Kifaru. The externals are too noisy, squeaky and are always banging branches etc.

If you are simply looking for a pure meat hauler, then the Alaskan/Tatonka/Kelty etc. are a good alternative to the MR/SG/Kifaru.

I have an MR Pintler for my hunting pack and it works awesome for my use and I can pack out quarters with it when needed. I have a Tatonka for purely packing large weights like quarters, 50 lbs of salt/grain etc. and it is perfect for that! I tried hunting with it and it was a PITA when hunting brush. I also have a Camptrails Osprey that has packed out why more than I think a pack should pack in it life time and it still comes along as a backup/spare. Great external pack!

Save up for what you really need based on how you hunt and what you need in a pack. Lots of options out there.

Cheers

SS

Arctic Lake
10-11-2020, 09:17 PM
Thank You Sitka !
Arctic Lake

If you are going to hike and hunt with it, then I would look at an MR/SG/Kifaru. The externals are too noisy, squeaky and are always banging branches etc.

If you are simply looking for a pure meat hauler, then the Alaskan/Tatonka/Kelty etc. are a good alternative to the MR/SG/Kifaru.

I have an MR Pintler for my hunting pack and it works awesome for my use and I can pack out quarters with it when needed. I have a Tatonka for purely packing large weights like quarters, 50 lbs of salt/grain etc. and it is perfect for that! I tried hunting with it and it was a PITA when hunting brush. I also have a Camptrails Osprey that has packed out why more than I think a pack should pack in it life time and it still comes along as a backup/spare. Great external pack!

Save up for what you really need based on how you hunt and what you need in a pack. Lots of options out there.

Cheers

SS

45freezer
10-13-2020, 10:51 AM

Cheers

SS

I would 2nd this. In the grand scheme of things the price difference may actually end up disappearing if you decide to upgrade a year or two down the road. I've hunted with a freighter on before and for me at least it sucked, an HDPE frame sheet with aluminum stays, functional load lifters and a waistbelt with delta straps makes a world of difference if you're hiking around with camp on your back or packing out of "technical" terrain. I would recommend looking at the slumberjack bounty 2.0, not quite as adjustable or modular as MR/SG/kifaru/exo but pretty close at a fraction of the price. Doesn't ride quite as well with 100+lb loads and the frame sheet is definitely not as stiff as my duplex frame but the load shelf is awesome and it's easy to add a lid or additional pockets to it, also the angle of the load lifters allows them to actually lift the load off your shoulders and transfer the weight to your hips instead of just stabilizing the load a bit like you see with a lot of frame designs.

lakelander
11-18-2021, 03:22 PM
Arctic which pack did you buy. I'm in need of one and Cabelas has one on for sale for $250 called the multiday pack. Anyone tried this one? TIA