PDA

View Full Version : Carrying 2 into the Field / Bush

Frederick Wilhelm
09-29-2020, 04:14 PM
Hi, have any of you tried / tested carrying two guns out to a hunt ?

I am specifically thinking of taking a Rifle and a Shotgun.

The main harvest would be with the Rifle, but the Shotgun would be there for an opportunistic shot at small game and Predator defence.

If you have tried this, how did you stow / carry the 2nd firearm ?

Fella
09-29-2020, 04:19 PM
Sounds like a lot of extra weight unless you’re sticking close to the truck

bruce44
09-29-2020, 04:22 PM
I’ve carried a crossbow and my rifle. It’s not something you want to walk very far with but it’s doable. I carry the crossbow in my arms and rifle in my shoulder.

Browning 3\d
09-29-2020, 04:36 PM
check REGS.

boxhitch
09-29-2020, 04:47 PM
Carry a rifle, and pack a folding single shot 20 for grousing
The rifle is the best defence

boxhitch
09-29-2020, 04:48 PM
check REGS.why? You can carry 6 if you want

Ghilliesuit
09-29-2020, 04:50 PM
check REGS.

Say what?

Gateholio
09-29-2020, 04:57 PM
I will have both rifle and shotgun in the truck but if I go any distance on foot I'm not carrying an extra firearm. I used to carry subsonic loads for the rifle I was carrying, good for sluicing grouse.

Ron.C
09-29-2020, 05:45 PM
Ive found nothing in the synopsis that says you cant. Just recently I carried my compact .22 strapped to my pack when strolling through cutblocks looking for an opportunity deer. Ended up with a couple ruffy"s for dinner

dino
09-29-2020, 05:57 PM
I carry a little badger 22 with subsonics. I enjoy hunt even more now. Always come back with something good to eat. Plus they are super light.

mikeman20
09-29-2020, 06:06 PM
Ive shot grouse and rabbits with my 3006. Bullets dont even have a chance to expand since they are barnes tsx (solid copper)
Works well, leaves a nice smallish hole without turning the small game to mist

Downtown
09-29-2020, 07:19 PM

The main harvest would be with the Rifle, but the Shotgun would be there for an opportunistic shot at small game and Predator defence.

On VI I like to hunt with my Drilling. Drilling is the German word for 3 Barreled Gun. My Drilling has 2, 16Ga Shotgun Barrels side by side and underneath is a 7*65R Rifle Barrel. (7*65R is similar to 270 Winchester). In my right hand Shotgun Barrel I have a full length .22 Hornet insert Barrel. The 7*65R Rifle Bullet and the .22 Hornet Bullet shoot 1.5" Groups at 100 Meters. Of course there is a high Quality Scope mounted on quick detachable SEM Mounts.
With a setup like this I could shoot anything from Grouse to Bear to Elk or whatever.

Cheers

TysonVM
09-29-2020, 07:47 PM
I have a nice .410 that is light and folds in half, sometimes I'll shove that in my pack and sling the rifle of the shoulder. its nice that i can pack slugs and shot for protection and small game yet still nice and light.

halfanapress
09-29-2020, 07:56 PM
I àcarry a little badger in my backpack. Love using it to take rabbits on the road coming back from a deer hunt.

B.C.Boy(100%)
09-29-2020, 09:08 PM
I carry a Hammond Game Getter for the rifle I take with me, it only weighs a few ounces, takes small game with ease, and is a bit quieter than a 22.
And the best part, your only carrying one firearm, and not troubled with two.
And on a plus side, I also use the game getter to do initial sight in at 25yards, then jump to 100y with the regular ammo, saves on ammo and shoulder, especially when sighting in lightweight high power rifles.

Huntingtyler123
09-29-2020, 09:23 PM
Sometimes I carry my .22 with subsonic and my rifle. Depends if I’m going for a long hike or not, exploring new country. Probably will just start carrying a sling shot instead. Every time I see a grouse and I only have my rifle I kick myself for not bringing it

caddisguy
09-29-2020, 09:31 PM

I tried this early in my hunting career, ever so briefly. Either one on the shoulder or fixed to the pack and cradle carry the other. It's awkward, lot of extra weight, one more thing to snag on things and annoying when you're banging them against each other. Repeated this again when I started bow hunting (carrying a gun for defense) but quickly realized getting mauled (if the bear spray doesn't work) would suck less than carrying a bow and a gun :)

These days if I am bow hunting I just take my chances and hope the bear spray works... and if I want to hunt grouse and maybe opportunistically take big game I just bring the 12ga with slugs and bird shot. This works for me in Region 2. The longest shot I have ever taken an animal at is 70 yard, second longest 25 and most under 20.

For predator defense I prefer the rifle, but a shotgun can work if you have something better than bird shot in the pipe. Reasonable chance you won't have time to swap / load guns if something goes down.

If you're set on it, it might be worth looking into an over-under setup and see if you can find something with a decent rifle caliber and something that flings some scatter around. I think there is a Savage over-under 30/30 / 20ga... and a Chippa 243 / 410 ... damn why did I just google that... now I am tempted LOL

barry1974w
09-29-2020, 09:45 PM
I’ve got a savage in 30-30 over 20 gauge, my eyes are getting bad for decent shooting with open sights, but it’s a good set up for when you’re just wandering around looking for whatever you can find.

Iron Glove
09-29-2020, 09:57 PM
I carry a little badger 22 with subsonics. I enjoy hunt even more now. Always come back with something good to eat. Plus they are super light.

I did the same for a few years, the Badger folds up pretty small.
Son has the Badger now, lent it to him a few years ago, might not see it back. :lol:

caddisguy
09-29-2020, 10:09 PM
I’ve got a savage in 30-30 over 20 gauge, my eyes are getting bad for decent shooting with open sights, but it’s a good set up for when you’re just wandering around looking for whatever you can find.

Is that the 24V? From what I read you can put a scope on there, sight it in for the 30-30 and it should be on point for taking grouse and bunnies with the 20ga?

Redthies
09-29-2020, 10:17 PM
Can you scope a badger? Thinking super small one.

Redthies
09-29-2020, 10:18 PM
I used to carry both, but like caddisguy, I found it sucks. Since my wife did her core, she can bring her 20 gauge and I’ll bring the .30-30.

emerson
09-29-2020, 10:30 PM
I’ve carried 2, it sucks. A combo gun would be good, a drilling perfect.

caddisguy
09-29-2020, 10:39 PM
Darnit Frederick ! :)

This thread made me curious about combo guns again.

What started as a curiosity has lead to a couple hours of feverishly scouring the internet for a Savage 30-30 / 20ga combo or at least a Chippa 243 / 410 combo.

So for the best I can come up with is a Chippa 22 / 410 combo but that doesn't really solve for the "big game / small game + distance" problem

Everywhere is sold out. I guess these were considered good "survival" and "bug out" guns in recent history (also they are marketed as such) and like the TP will take some time to replenish.

Of course now they second I find one, I will feel the pressure to buy even more LOL

Redthies
09-29-2020, 10:52 PM
HBC... enabling since 2004.

Go get one caddis!

caddisguy
09-29-2020, 11:12 PM
HBC... enabling since 2004.

Go get one caddis!

Trying man... LOL

Seems center fire / shotty over-under hoarding is real.

That said, it probably best answers the main question in this thread. Even the masses who went on panic gun buying sprees (most of whom have never hunted or carried a firearm in the bush) agree that carrying more than one long gun is a bad deal and having a center fire rifle / shotty in the same stock on the same shoulder strap is the best way to go about it.

Okay you over under hoarders... nobody is bugging out... give one up. 30-30 / 20ga would be ideal but I can work with a 243 / 410. I have some lysol wipes if that sweetens the deal. I'm going to go rock myself back and forth fantasizing of acquiring such a gadget until I fall asleep and tomorrow is another day with new possibilities.

Jagermeister
09-30-2020, 12:15 AM
Years ago my BIL would come and hunt with me. He hunted with a 300 WM and insisted he carry a shotgun for bear defense.
We were out toward the end of a road that broke open into a huge cutblock. As we entered, he decided he needed a dump so stop the truck and out he pops to do his deed out of sight behind one of those large spruce tree root mats. As I sit there waiting for him, I see what appears to be footprints up front aways in the fresh snow and curse that someone had already walked through a head of us although there was no other tire prints in the snow. I'm thinking that whoever had walked from the road just south that parallels the one we came in on and was heading to a similar oriented road to the north. Anyhow, he gets back in the truck and I point out the tracks out front and drive forward the short distance to them and lo, they ain't man tracks, they're grizzly tracks. So we backtrack and spend the morning lower down.
Come afternoon, we had move to a zone to the north and spent some time trying to get a bead on a bull that kept playing dodge the hunter. We decided that we needed a nap to folded the seats back and had an hourly siesta. Upon waking, I point to a cow and calf moose on the other side of the vale. Off we boogaloo to follow up on that. The cow and calf bolt across the slope in front of us. We split, I go left to get behind the pair and he goes right to intercept, carrying his rifle and shotgun. This area is about a 15-20 year regrowth so the visibility is very limited. You could stumble into something in a heart beat. I'm less than 3 or 4 minutes into my hike and the BIL had a head start so to position himself as I intend on doing the push. The next thing I hear this piercing scream, can't tell if man or animal and from the direction that if comes from, it's the direction that man and moose had departed for. One thing that I am certain about is that I am not going to charge in there to see because that scream was truly mortal. I will give the BIL 10 minutes to show up, otherwise I will have to go for help. There are 5 guys on the slope across who I can see and my thinking is that I will let off three shots and start waving at them should the BIL not appear in the designated time. At the 8 minute mark, the BIL comes long shanking around on the trees into plain view, carrying his shotgun at the ready and the winmag on his shoulder. We conclude that the grizzly we saw in the morning probably caught the calf running right into it.
So the point. I chewed the BIL out, telling him that he had little chance of getting a shot off if he were the one under attack, but at least there would be a chance. Exchanging one for the other rendered no chance at all. I told the BIL if he wanted, pack one or the other, but not both. Where there is the potential to run into a grizzly at close quarters while hunting, time to get a defensive shot off is critical. Use what is in your hand.

Iron Glove
09-30-2020, 07:57 AM
Can you scope a badger? Thinking super small one.

Have seen folks with small red dots on them.
There's a place in the US that sells a lot of accessories, improvements for the Badger, damned if I can find the name tho'. A good Google search or cheking on CGN should find them.
Sometimes if I'm not interested in Big Game I'll walk the local FSR's with a Double Badger in .410 & 22 WMR.

Iron Glove
09-30-2020, 08:05 AM
A few years ago when Son In Law was an Initiation Hunter we went into the hills with him carrying a Savage 99 .308 and a Toz 20 Gauge for Grouse and Bunnies.
After a morning of hiking around with both I suggested moving to another area and suggested he leave the 20 in the truck as there weren't any grouse where we were going.
We get 15 minutes from the truck, he spots a huge grouse in the bush, heads back to the truck, grabs the 20 but the grouse was gone.
He doesn't listen much to my advice anymore. :) He did get a bunny with the 20 the next day tho'.

Ambush
09-30-2020, 08:58 AM
Brno 7X57R over 12 gauge. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8085&stc=1

caddisguy
09-30-2020, 09:55 AM
Brno 7X57R over 12 gauge. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8085&stc=1

For me?! You shouldn't have! Do you have any extra boxes of 7X57R kicking around for me as well? :D

That seems like an excellent gun. There is no game animal in North America big or small perhaps other than Bison (at least that I can think of) that one firearm would not be suitable for within scatter gun / iron sight range.

Squamch
09-30-2020, 10:07 AM

I also like to badger a grouse or two here and there. That's a cheap NC star red dot, and it works great.
https://i.postimg.cc/yd82SxV5/20171209-124349.jpg

jan.wi97
09-30-2020, 10:44 AM
Have an acquaintance here in town that owns a couple
of the Drilling Blasers. D99 and BD14 if I recall correctly... topped off with Zeiss
scopes those iron's are what dreams are made off.
The engravings were just ridiculous!

Guy also has the Grand Slam so he got around to using them.
For now I carry the rifle and my brother has the 12 gauge with a variety of birdshot and slugs.

boxhitch
09-30-2020, 07:09 PM
Trying man... LOL

That said, it probably best answers the main question in this thread. Even the masses who went on panic gun buying sprees (most of whom have never hunted or carried a firearm in the bush) agree that carrying more than one long gun is a bad deal and having a center fire rifle / shotty in the same stock on the same shoulder strap is the best way to go about it.

Okay you over under hoarders... nobody is bugging out... give one up. 30-30 / 20ga would be ideal but I can work with a 243 / 410. I have some lysol wipes if that sweetens the deal. I'm going to go rock myself back and forth fantasizing of acquiring such a gadget until I fall asleep and tomorrow is another day with new possibilities.
Like this ? 30-30/20, with spire point Sierras light .308-like loadshttps://i.imgur.com/Jt3q3Uv.jpg

caddisguy
09-30-2020, 08:19 PM
Like this ? 30-30/20, with spire point Sierras light .308-like loadshttps://i.imgur.com/Jt3q3Uv.jpg

I'm drooling! At the deer and the gun.

What is the make and model? Savage 24?

I want one like that so bad it hurts !

Smokeeater
09-30-2020, 10:52 PM
I carry a little badger with subsonics, over my shoulder or in my pack. A little awkward but it works.
Also have a side by side 30/30, 12ga that works as a walking gun if I'm not going too far from the truck.

fishhunt
10-01-2020, 08:43 AM
When moose hunting, if walking through bush, especially if by myself, I'll have a 12 gauge defender in addition to my rifle. Rifle on back, 12 gauge in hand.

NewToHunting
10-01-2020, 09:38 PM
I’ll go for O/U as well. I have a cz584 12ga/30-06. They’re hard to get by though, but I’ve seen from time to time savage 24s, 30-30/.410 if I recall correctly.

browningboy
10-01-2020, 10:31 PM
Alls I hear is people going ultra light!should be able to carry a hand gun!

Jagermeister
10-01-2020, 11:23 PM
Alls I hear is people going ultra light! Should be able to carry a hand gun!

There was a prospector or geologist up in the Cassiar Mountains a few years ago that was attacked by a grizzly. What saved his bacon was the 44 magnum that he was permitted to carry.
With the way things are going, essentially lack of law and order and the hue and cry to defund the police, it may become prudent for the government to allow open carry permits whether in the 'burghs or afield. The only part of the populace that are packing sidearms, besides police, are those that have never been vetted by the government.

Ironbutt
10-02-2020, 06:41 AM
I’ve been looking for a front carry retractable strap for a small shotgun for predator protection while bow hunting for a while. The single point military style isn’t quite it, Side scabbard a bit too cumbersome. As stated the need for immediate use is often the case with bears etc. I have pack carry options but having it ready is necessary.

Downtown
10-02-2020, 01:34 PM
I’ve carried 2, it sucks. A combo gun would be good, a drilling perfect.

Tradex Guns has some Combination Guns including Drillings at interesting prices !

barry1974w
10-02-2020, 10:13 PM
Is that the 24V? From what I read you can put a scope on there, sight it in for the 30-30 and it should be on point for taking grouse and bunnies with the 20ga?

I’m not sure if it’s the V designation. I’ll have to check into it, if I could scrounge up some bases a red dot or low power scope it might work for me. I do enjoy carrying it. Especially during the early season, I haven’t shot any big game with it yet, but hopefully one day.

barry1974w
10-02-2020, 10:17 PM
Trying man... LOL

im trying to remember the name of the place, but there’s an outfit that brings in used rifles from Europe. They normally have some over unders in stock, goofy calibers sometime, somewhat rough shape, but cheap and they sell ammo also.
Trade Ex maybe, I can’t remember

barry1974w
10-02-2020, 10:25 PM
Tradex Guns has some Combination Guns including Drillings at interesting prices !

Beat me too it. Interesting is a good word for it

whitlers
10-02-2020, 10:56 PM
Never had and never would. The only way I will pack the extra weight is if we could carry a pistol while bow hunting. Other than that the weight penalty isn't worth it. Not to mention if I'm hiking in somewhere for big game grouse is the last thing on my mind. But that's just me.

boxhitch
10-03-2020, 05:44 AM
I'm drooling! At the deer and the gun.

What is the make and model? Savage 24?

I want one like that so bad it hurts !Yes, 24V with its first deer kill for us. Pretty versatile considering one can use bird shot, and slugs, better yet if legal-size buckshot was available somewhere
Not sure if the common #4 buck would suffice

338win mag
10-03-2020, 06:53 AM
What about one of these cartridge adapters. It allows you to shoot a 32 acp out of your 303, you can get them for other chamberings...works good for close range. When you see a grouse or other shooter simply slip this into your chamber.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303-British-to-32ACP-Rifle-Adapter-Chamber-Reducer-Stainless-Free-Shipping-/283985548125

GreyDog
10-03-2020, 08:08 AM
Before I moved back to Canada, I carried a High Standard .22 pistol for grouse. Worked great. I am, of course, not allowed to do that here. I have carried a minimum length 22 rifle on long backpacking trips, in addition to my big game rifle, but don't bother for short hunts. GD

r106
10-03-2020, 09:21 AM
Early season i might have a 22 in the truck for the occasional ditch chicken but normally if im deer hunting i only have my rifle and im not near the truck and have no interest in packing 2.

A combo gun would be very cool, one day i will get one