PDA

View Full Version : Long hunting journey finally lead to my first big game

bruce44
09-29-2020, 09:44 AM
Hold on tight because this is going to be a long one.

I started hunting in 2014. My hunting group didn't really hunt per se, they camped and hunted to pass the time. For 5 seasons we were unproductive. In 2018 we got a cow moose shared LEH but ended up calling out a bull moose.

2019 was the lowest part of my hunting career. Myself and my in law got a bull moose draw(not shared) and my friend and his dad got a shared cow moose draw. The plan was for 1 cow moose tag to be with a bull moose tag at all times. Day 1 the dad went with me and my in law went with my friend. We didn't see anything that day.

Day 2, the dad decided he wanted to show the young bucks his canoeing skills and went with his son and the in law up river. I decided to go to a swamp solo. After hours of calling, 2 cow moose step out in front of me. After years of not having any success, I wasn't thinking straight. I took down one cow and informed the friend and his dad that they need to punch their tag because we got a cow moose. They both refused to do so. In the end, we quartered the moose, I went back to cell service and reported myself to the CO's. By the time the CO's had arrived a day later, the meat was already starting to smell sour. Originally we were going to drive back into town ASAP to the butcher, but due to the remote location and lack of cell signal, and the others wanted to continue hunting, we couldn't move the meat. I got off light with the loss of my bull moose tag and meat plus a 350$ fine. It was a tough lesson to learn but I'm never shooting an animal for someone else.

2020, determined to have at least 1 successful year, I decided to ditch my old hunting group and called up an old coworker in the peace region. I'm from the omineca area btw. We scheduled a hunt from September 22-26. Unfortunately something came up and my coworker had to cancel last minute. From the 22-24th I saw nothing. I was starting to feel really down, having spent so much time and money going on this hunting trip just to see 1 cow moose and 2 does.

Sept 25 morning another former coworker decides to take me out to his hunting spot. We slowly walk into a cutblock with chest high grass. We walked about 200 yards and cow called. Right there and then, a hump and antlers stand up not more than 60 ft away. This was a bull, but we had to count the brow palms. I was so excited that my legs were shaking. I couldn't get a good look at the brow palm. Every time the bull would turn to us, brush would cover it. We called to get it closer but it just wouldn't move from behind the brush. Unfortunately the wind turned and blow our scent right at it. The bull ran off before we could even get a count. Coworker #2 had to go back home that same day.

Just then my coworker #1 sends me a text. He has some free time from the 25th-26th to take me out to his hunting spot. We did an evening hunt on the 25th but saw nothing. Next morning we rode our atv's up to a trail head and hiked for awhile. As we came around a bend we heard what sounded like 2-3 big animals running into the brush. We spooked something big but the willows were too thick to see through. We tried to call them out but no response.

Then we decided to go to another cut block. As we drove our ATV's to the trail head, we see 2 elk cows run directly across the road we were on and into a trail that we were planning to walk. We slowly made our way down the trail, trying to find them and hoping we didn't scare them too much. After 100 yards down the trail I decided to let out a cow mew. Then my coworker motioned for me to stop moving. We heard grunting just on the other side of some 10 ft tall willow patch.

To give you a better layout of what we were in, we were in a spot with the trail Y's. Just before the Y there's a 40 feet diameter clearing to the left, in front of us is the trail and to the right is another trail. The grunts were coming from the path infront of us just in the willow patch to the left. We switched up the call and started grunting back. We picked up sticks and starting breaking them, thrashing and acting like angry moose. He started grunting and scraping back. Then we let out cow calls. This got him moving closer. It seemed as though he would go right through the willow patch and come out the clearing to my left. I take aim at the clearing, waiting for my coworker with the binos to verify palm count. Right then my coworker sees him come out the patch and starts crossing the path infront of us. He quickly counts 3 points before the bull goes into the willows to the right of the path. The moose was trying to scent us, but he messed up. He went upwind of us instead. My coworker was already in position for when the moose was going to come out to the path on our right side.

The moose comes out 50 yards down the trail to the right and the coworker verifies the brow palms again, but the moose starts walking away from him down the path. He can't get a broadside shot. Too afraid to move around the corner to see the moose ( I didn't want to get spotted) I stood still. I knew I wasn't going to shoot this thing but it's alright because I finally got meat. I let out a cow bawl and according to my coworker, this made the bull turn broad side. He took the shot, double lung heart. Then the bull quarters away and the coworker takes another shot, into the lungs. At this point I've already ran around the corner to make sure my coworker didn't miss. It was at this moment that the bull reared back and fell. My co-worker and I walk up to it as it continued to kick around attempting to get up. He puts one more into the brain and that was that. The moose fell right in the middle of a quad trail, it couldn't have been any easier. We counted 2 brow tines on the right side and 4 tines on the left, 40 inches wide and left antler had 11 points total. We split the meat and he kept the antlers. I have no use for antlers anyways. I usually just destroy them to make knife handles.

And that's how I got my first legal moose.

HarryToolips
09-29-2020, 10:05 AM
Congrats on your first bull moose! Pics?

bruce44
09-29-2020, 10:14 AM
https://imgur.com/a/QpZEIeR

Razor84
09-29-2020, 10:29 AM
congrats on your buddies moose

warnniklz
09-29-2020, 10:40 AM
https://imgur.com/a/QpZEIeR

https://i.imgur.com/rsyHTze.jpg

Sharpish
09-29-2020, 10:56 AM
Hopefully you will get your first one next year!

high and to the right
09-29-2020, 11:23 AM
Congratulations. I've been hunting for over 60 years now and got my first big game (bear) at age 12. When my dad and I hunted ducks he instilled in me that the one shot that hits a duck is not the hunt. It's the whole experience. When we came home with our limit of ducks he said, We got our limit today. He didn't say I shot 10 and my son shot 4. Later when I began to hunt big game with others it was always we. We got a moose. We got an elk. Some times I pushed bush and my partner shot the animal. It was our animal - not his. Other times I was the shooter and sometimes we both shot together. So when someone asks - did you get a moose last year I say yes. I don't say no just because someone else shot it and I only did the calling and helped with the hauling. So bruce44 - congratulations on your successful moose hunt!

pin_head
09-29-2020, 11:34 AM
Congrats on the moose and kudos on the honesty about the 2018 season. I think you made the right choice in ditching your old party. Any guy that’s willing to let a moose go to waste because pulling the trigger is more important to him is in it for the wrong reasons. That discussion would have been a very good one to have ahead of time.

Brad

bruce44
09-29-2020, 11:39 AM
congrats on your buddies moose
and you sir, are part of the problem. Doesn't matter who shot the moose, point is we got one and I contributed in a big way. He wouldn't have gotten the shot off if it wasn't for me.

@high and to the right, thank you. Yes that's true when it comes to meat, it doesn't matter who took the shot, the point is meat is in the freezer. I'm finding so many people just want to shoot something so they keep going until everyone in the camp gets a moose. Before you know it, they have too much moose meat and either give it all away or make it into dog food. Greed to the fullest.

bruce44
09-29-2020, 11:40 AM
Congrats on the moose and kudos on the honesty about the 2018 season. I think you made the right choice in ditching your old party. Any guy that’s willing to let a moose go to waste because pulling the trigger is more important to him is in it for the wrong reasons. That discussion would have been a very good one to have ahead of time.

Brad We had a miscommunication. At the start of the day he said "if we hear a gunshot, lets all get back together so we don't accidentally shoot the same thing twice". I heard that as confirmation that I could shoot his cow and he could shoot my bull.

bruce44
09-29-2020, 11:45 AM
Hopefully you will get your first one next year! By that logic, I've already shot a moose last year. If the shot is all that matters and meat doesn't count, then yeah I was successful last year as well.

Danny_29
09-29-2020, 11:53 AM
Anyone who wouldn't punch their tag. Let buddy report himself, and waste the meat is a dirtbag. Good riddance to that group.

Congrats on the bull and better friends.

whitlers
09-29-2020, 12:04 PM
Anyone who wouldn't punch their tag. Let buddy report himself, and waste the meat is a dirtbag. Good riddance to that group.

This ^ I can't believe they did that to you. You should never hunt with that group again. I am not a fan of playing that game with draws but regardless they should have been happy that meat is on the table. Pretty pathetic that they let the meat waste and made you self report but that is why the LEH/Tag holder should always be present.

Good job on your groups moose this year! Best of luck to you in the remainder of the season.

tyreguy
09-29-2020, 12:04 PM
Handshake deal in camp.......... but not legal. Only if you had a shared hunt on that cow tag could you legally participate in the harvest of that cow. And your buddy could not legally participate in the harvest (shooting) of your bull. Your only participation of the others moose is packing it out or calling it in, not shooting.
No miscommunication, you misunderstood the law. But to be fair you self reported yourself and took your lumps, and got new hunting partners - i can respect that.
We had a miscommunication. At the start of the day he said "if we hear a gunshot, lets all get back together so we don't accidentally shoot the same thing twice". I heard that as confirmation that I could shoot his cow and he could shoot my bull.

Gateholio
09-29-2020, 12:15 PM

I can understand why someone would not want to commit a crime to conceal someone else’s crime.

Danny_29
09-29-2020, 12:21 PM
I can understand why someone would not want to commit a crime to conceal someone else’s crime.

Sure, but to leave your winger out to dry is gutless.

Razor84
09-29-2020, 12:28 PM
Fat slobs in camo on ATV shoots moose lol, rings a bell

BRvalley
09-29-2020, 12:42 PM
interesting story, still not entirely clear why the cow couldn't be driven to the butcher cooler? but I'm sure the CO appreciated the honesty, as I've also read reports of self reporting not getting off so light

bruce44
09-29-2020, 01:09 PM
Fat slobs in camo on ATV shoots moose lol, rings a bell
I wasn’t on my atv and road hunting when We ran into the moose. We were a good 800m from the trail head. We just use our atvs to get from one trail head to another. Otherwise it would have been a 2 hour walk down a road to the trail head. I’m fat yes, slob no. I’ve probably put more time in the gym and lifted enough weight to fold you in half.

you going to contribute anything or you just going to continue trying to be a failed comedian?

bruce44
09-29-2020, 01:10 PM
interesting story, still not entirely clear why the cow couldn't be driven to the butcher cooler? but I'm sure the CO appreciated the honesty, as I've also read reports of self reporting not getting off so light
We had to wait for the CO and the butcher wouldn’t accept an animal without a tag with it.

bighornbob
09-29-2020, 01:40 PM
and you sir, are part of the problem. Doesn't matter who shot the moose, point is we got one and I contributed in a big way. He wouldn't have gotten the shot off if it wasn't for me.

@high and to the right, thank you. Yes that's true when it comes to meat, it doesn't matter who took the shot, the point is meat is in the freezer. I'm finding so many people just want to shoot something so they keep going until everyone in the camp gets a moose. Before you know it, they have too much moose meat and either give it all away or make it into dog food. Greed to the fullest.

first off I commend you for self reporting and doing the right thing. But the way you explains things ( see bolded area) you are also part of the problem. To me it seems you are all in it for the meat. At the end of the day it does matter who shoots the moose as it has to be the one with the legal tag and out hunting. Seen to many camps where you are right a few guys do all the killing but it’s the people in camp that are letting it happen or don’t care because they are going home with meat.

I went elk Bow hunting this fall and was in a camp with my cousin and a few other guys. My cousin got a bull before I got there and I helped skin it. Another of the older guys got a bull in a nasty spot and helped with the retrieval. I tell people “we “ got two bulls but I came home with no meat. I was offered some of the elk but I turned it down. At the end of the day it was a great hunt and meat would have been a bonus.

the way you have written it, I don’t think you would have a issue with someone filling your tags, (as you proved you were happy to fill others) the previous year, as long as you go home with meat.

also if the other guys from the previous year were on here to right a story I’m sure there would be guys saying “good thing you guys dropped the cow shooter from your party”. Maybe they are clowns I don’t know, or your meat at all costs attitude and they were like “F**k it, you shot you are on your own. “

BHb

browningboy
09-29-2020, 01:46 PM
Nice moose! Nice to get good news in 2020!!!!!

bruce44
09-29-2020, 01:58 PM
first off I commend you for self reporting and doing the right thing. But the way you explains things ( see bolded area) you are also part of the problem. To me it seems you are all in it for the meat. At the end of the day it does matter who shoots the moose as it has to be the one with the legal tag and out hunting. Seen to many camps where you are right a few guys do all the killing but it’s the people in camp that are letting it happen or don’t care because they are going home with meat.

I went elk Bow hunting this fall and was in a camp with my cousin and a few other guys. My cousin got a bull before I got there and I helped skin it. Another of the older guys got a bull in a nasty spot and helped with the retrieval. I tell people “we “ got two bulls but I came home with no meat. I was offered some of the elk but I turned it down. At the end of the day it was a great hunt and meat would have been a bonus.

the way you have written it, I don’t think you would have a issue with someone filling your tags, (as you proved you were happy to fill others) the previous year, as long as you go home with meat.

also if the other guys from the previous year were on here to right a story I’m sure there would be guys saying “good thing you guys dropped the cow shooter from your party”. Maybe they are clowns I don’t know, or your meat at all costs attitude and they were like “F**k it, you shot you are on your own. “

BHb
Well there were some history between myself and the old team. Trust me when I say his past behavior would lead anyone to believe that he would have no problem with what I did. You're also taking my comments out of context. It was replying to "congrats on your buddy's moose". It doesn't matter which one of us took the shot. As long as it was shot legally, we both played an instrumental role in getting it.

Where in that comment does it say meat at all cost even illegal ones? I meant it doesn't matter who shoots the moose and fills their own tags, as long as we have meat. I've learned from my mistakes last year that I don't shoot someone else's tag for them and vice versa.

tyreguy
09-29-2020, 02:22 PM
It may be best to take a break from posting and read the regulations to best understand what you're doing and more importantly saying. Taking out of context is one thing, but readers are looking at what is written and what you wrote like the "cow tag was a camp tag" - this is not what everyone is taught in CORE training. You may have had a handshake deal with your partners, but its best not to try to justify that, especially not on a website.
Its a shame at the end of the day the moose was shot and the meat was not used. But at the end it was not a legal harvest even if your old partners had tagged that cow as their own.
I seem to recall that Manitoba has a group type harvest allowance where this would be legal but in BC - not legal.

Well there were some history between myself and the old team. Trust me when I say his past behavior would lead anyone to believe that he would have no problem with what I did. You're also taking my comments out of context. It was replying to "congrats on your buddy's moose". It doesn't matter which one of us took the shot. As long as it was shot legally, we both played an instrumental role in getting it.

Where in that comment does it say meat at all cost even illegal ones? I meant it doesn't matter who shoots the moose and fills their own tags, as long as we have meat. I've learned from my mistakes last year that I don't shoot someone else's tag for them and vice versa.

bruce44
09-29-2020, 02:29 PM
It may be best to take a break from posting and read the regulations to best understand what you're doing and more importantly saying. Taking out of context is one thing, but readers are looking at what is written and what you wrote like the "cow tag was a camp tag" - this is not what everyone is taught in CORE training. You may have had a handshake deal with your partners, but its best not to try to justify that, especially not on a website.
Its a shame at the end of the day the moose was shot and the meat was not used. But at the end it was not a legal harvest even if your old partners had tagged that cow as their own.
I seem to recall that Manitoba has a group type harvest allowance where this would be legal but in BC - not legal.
Why is everyone so hung up on the cow tag thing. I already said I learned from it, and paid the price. I'm just trying to respond to guys being dicks about the situation by claiming that I can't celebrate a successful moose hunt because I didn't shoot the moose. Now you guys come here and twist the hell out of what I've said, disregard the fact that I owned up and learned from my mistake, and then tried to extrapolate that attitude to this year's hunt.

Sharpish
09-29-2020, 02:35 PM
We had a miscommunication. At the start of the day he said "if we hear a gunshot, lets all get back together so we don't accidentally shoot the same thing twice". I heard that as confirmation that I could shoot his cow and he could shoot my bull.

That’s illegal.

Sharpish
09-29-2020, 02:39 PM
If someone in your group shot a moose, “you” as in plural got a moose. I totally agree with that. If you didn’t shoot a moose and cut your own tag “You” as an individual didn’t get a moose. That’s why the horns go home with the shooter.

bruce44
09-29-2020, 02:40 PM
That’s illegal.
Holy cow! YES I KNEW THEN AND I KNOW THAT IT WAS ILLEGAL FFS! I messed up then, I paid the price, I learned my lesson, got a second chance, and used that second chance to LEGALLY get a moose with an old coworker. CAN WE MOVE THE F%^# ON?

bruce44
09-29-2020, 02:44 PM
If someone in your group shot a moose, “you” as in plural got a moose. I totally agree with that. If you didn’t shoot a moose and cut your own tag “You” as an individual didn’t get a moose. That’s why the horns go home with the shooter.
Regardless, WE were successful and WE split the meat because one wouldn't have gotten the moose without the other.

Fact is, I had a successful hunt with a hunting partner. No amount of dbaggery from people is going to change that fact. It's not like I just sat there and did nothing while the coworker went out and shot the moose. I got it grunting, I called it in to a shooting position, he shot it. It's called teamwork.

Sharpish
09-29-2020, 02:47 PM
Aren’t you the guy who was complaining about driving a mere 6 hours and not hearing elk bugles within 2 hours of arriving at your camp? And you were bitching about “eating a tag?” You sound pretty entitled and out to lunch man.

Gateholio
09-29-2020, 03:02 PM
Sure, but to leave your winger out to dry is gutless.

To put your hunting partner in a position where he has to break the law to cover your ass is pretty shitty. Stuff like this can easily compound into multiple people with multiple charges and loss of hunting privileges. I totally understand why someone would not want to be a part of something like this.

bruce44
09-29-2020, 03:04 PM
Aren’t you the guy who was complaining about driving a mere 6 hours and not hearing elk bugles within 2 hours of arriving at your camp? And you were bitching about “eating a tag?” You sound pretty entitled and out to lunch man.
And that right there is the problem with a lot of you guys. Go read that post again. I didn't just get to camp, I was there for 2 days already. If you people would improve your reading comprehension instead of coming here with the agenda of lecturing another hunter for a mistake he already learned from, there would be less arguments.

Like really what the hell is wrong with you people? Can't you just be happy that a guy got something after screwing up majorly the year prior? You gotta sit there and hand out unwanted lectures with your holy than thou attitudes about past mistakes that I won't soon be repeating? Really what do you get out of that. You going to go stroke your ego after this? "Good job Sharpish you were able to take away a happy moment from someone. I know he's reformed but you need to belittle him for his past screw up for no constructive reason whatsoever".

Go read the definition of entitled. Asking for help and dreading going home empty handed isn't entitlement. At no point did I ever say I deserved meat. At no point did I ever say that the guy who didn't punch his tag owed me anything. Don't use words you don't understand the meaning to.

You want to know what entitlement is? Entitlement is a bunch of guys from the island coming up here and taking multiple animals because they want to fill their tag more than they want to feed their freezer. Entitlement are people from the highest COVID 19 population cities, Vancouver, coming up here to hunt, risking our small communities' health, just because they are bored in their cities.

MB_Boy
09-29-2020, 03:06 PM

Yes you can "party hunt" on another's tag in MB once you have cut your own. It may be different for some of the draws for elk or a few areas that I believe may have a moose draw but the bulk of the province is GOS for moose.

Sharpish
09-29-2020, 03:07 PM
Search Thread
Rate This Thread
Display

09-24-2020, 05:32 AM
#1 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?160827-2020-elk-bugle-report&p=2199456#post2199456)
bruce44 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?326934-bruce44)
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/statusicon/user-online.pngSenior Member

Join DateFeb 2015Posts137

2020 elk bugle report
I can’t seem to find the old thread so I started this one. Anyone still hearing elk bugle at night? Sitting here by halfway reserve totally quiet since I got here at 3am. Anyone got some tips for this area? Please PM me. I know I sound desperate but I don’t really want to eat a tag after 6 hours of driving from Prince George.

bruce44
09-29-2020, 03:10 PM
DoThread Tools
Search Thread
Rate This Thread
Display

09-24-2020, 05:32 AM
#1 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?160827-2020-elk-bugle-report&p=2199456#post2199456)

bruce44 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?326934-bruce44)
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/statusicon/user-online.pngSenior Member

Join DateFeb 2015Posts137

2020 elk bugle report

I can’t seem to find the old thread so I started this one. Anyone still hearing elk bugle at night? Sitting here by halfway reserve totally quiet since I got here at 3am. Anyone got some tips for this area? Please PM me. I know I sound desperate but I don’t really want to eat a tag after 6 hours of driving from Prince George.

Does it say I just got to camp? It says I just got to the halfway reserve. Again put your half baked assumptions aside and quit trying to hijack this thread by turning it into something it's not.

jan.wi97
09-29-2020, 03:13 PM
And that right there is the problem with a lot of you guys. Go read that post again. I didn't just get to camp, I was there for 2 days already. If you people would improve your reading comprehension instead of coming here with the agenda of lecturing another hunter for a mistake he already learned from, there would be less arguments.

Like really what the hell is wrong with you people? Can't you just be happy that a guy got something after screwing up majorly the year prior? You gotta sit there and hand out unwanted lectures with your holy than thou attitudes about past mistakes that I won't soon be repeating? Really what do you get out of that. You going to go stroke your ego after this? "Good job Sharpish you were able to take away a happy moment from someone. I know he's reformed but you need to belittle him for his past screw up for no constructive reason whatsoever".

Go read the definition of entitled. Asking for help and dreading going home empty handed isn't entitlement. At no point did I ever say I deserved meat. At no point did I ever say that the guy who didn't punch his tag owed me anything. Don't use words you don't understand the meaning to.

You want to know what entitlement is? Entitlement is a bunch of guys from the island coming up here and taking multiple animals because they want to fill their tag more than they want to feed their freezer. Entitlement are people from the highest COVID 19 population cities, Vancouver, coming up here to hunt, risking our small communities' health, just because they are bored in their cities.

Bruce, good on you for being straight-up in owning up, learning from it and then being
an integral part of a successful hunt.

Personally, shit happens... and yes, the story can be viewed from two sides.
Not in anyway condoning the previous event but I just want to congratulate you on a successful hunt!
Tearing everyone a new asshole is just going to stink the place up guys

Sharpish
09-29-2020, 03:13 PM
You’re an idiot, there is nothing in there at all about being there two days. You posted at 5:37am that you’ve been there since 3am. That’s it.

Enjoy your moose, maybe YOU’LL get YOUR first NON Poached animal next year.

bruce44
09-29-2020, 03:14 PM
To put your hunting partner in a position where he has to break the law to cover your ass is pretty shitty. Stuff like this can easily compound into multiple people with multiple charges and loss of hunting privileges. I totally understand why someone would not want to be a part of something like this.
Yup you are correct. That's why I didn't hold that against him. The reason I stopped hunting with him was because he wasn't serious about hunting. He just wanted to camp and canoe around. He refused to learn any moose calls and always had to cook breakfast BEFORE we went out hunting. By the time we left camp to the hunting grounds, the sun has already been up for an hour.

bruce44
09-29-2020, 03:15 PM
You’re an idiot, there is nothing in there at all about being there two days. You posted at 5:37am that you’ve been there since 3am. That’s it.

Enjoy your moose, maybe YOU’LL get YOUR first NON Poached animal next year.
There is also nowhere in there that says I just arrived to camp. Improve your reading comprehension and maybe you'll come off less uneducated. Go stroke your ego some more. "mm yes I belittled a guy's success for no reason whatsoever. I'm such an amazing person. mmm yea", clown.

tyreguy
09-29-2020, 03:20 PM
Like i said, take a break from posting as all you're doing is digging yourself deeper.
The issue many refer to is not the fact that your hunting buddies in camp would not tag the moose you shot, it is because it wasn't legal - the whole process wasn't legal. Even if your buddy DID tag it the process is illegal. Your outlook was your buddy was a dick for not tagging it and the moose went rotten - and some thought to support that but in the end it wasn't legal. You had a handshake deal that went south - that you keep to yourself and the CO, its not interesting reading.
Its done and you owned up to it, but when hunting is looked at by the public as being unnecessary and treated like hunters disobey the law and shoot everything it doesn't help the cause much when a guy comes onto a website and brags about his first moose kill as being the one he shot illegally and his buddy wouldn't tag it and then top it off that the moose went rotten. The hunting community does not condone that activity and that is where the backlash is coming from.
Think before you speak and some details maybe are not necessary for everyone to know, its not my ego its just what you said.
Has nothing to do with Covid or Vancouver so please don't deflect like its someone else fault.

Danny_29
09-29-2020, 03:21 PM

Yes agree that it's a shitty situation but let's be honest the conservation officers are not the friggin FBI. Nobody was getting multiple charges all that needed to happen was a guy cut the tag and the situation disappears. You are correct that this sort of hand shake deal can obviously go sideways, thats where we agree, where we disagree is letting the meat spoil and have someone in your group self report themselves is so unnecessary. I would argue that the most ethical thing to do in the situation is cut the tag...if the rest of the group decided this guy really was a knob just tell him so and never hunt with him again and don't waste the aninal.

Basically what I'm getting at is everybody in this situation really blew it lol. Buddy pulling the trigger when he shouldn't have honestly or not and the guy with the coe tag letting the meat spoil and hanging the other dude out.

bruce44
09-29-2020, 03:54 PM
Like i said, take a break from posting as all you're doing is digging yourself deeper.
The issue many refer to is not the fact that your hunting buddies in camp would not tag the moose you shot, it is because it wasn't legal - the whole process wasn't legal. Even if your buddy DID tag it the process is illegal. Your outlook was your buddy was a dick for not tagging it and the moose went rotten - and some thought to support that but in the end it wasn't legal. You had a handshake deal that went south - that you keep to yourself and the CO, its not interesting reading.
Its done and you owned up to it, but when hunting is looked at by the public as being unnecessary and treated like hunters disobey the law and shoot everything it doesn't help the cause much when a guy comes onto a website and brags about his first moose kill as being the one he shot illegally and his buddy wouldn't tag it and then top it off that the moose went rotten. The hunting community does not condone that activity and that is where the backlash is coming from.
Think before you speak and some details maybe are not necessary for everyone to know, its not my ego its just what you said.
Has nothing to do with Covid or Vancouver so please don't deflect like its someone else fault. What are you talking about? I never said the guy was a dick or infer it. In fact I even apologized to him afterwards for putting him in that position. I was 100% in the wrong and admitted to it. I wasn’t bragging about shooting that cow. I was admitting the error of my ways and showing how I learned from it. What is happening here. Am I in the twilight zone?

The meat going rotten was 100% his fault. I wanted to pack it up and move it but he told me we shouldn’t move it and keep it by the kill site because the CO would like to see where we shot it. He also said no butcher would take the meat without his tag.

rocksteady
09-29-2020, 04:50 PM
Popcorn? Get your popcorn

bcsteve
09-29-2020, 04:53 PM
The meat going rotten was 100% his fault. I wanted to pack it up and move it but he told me we shouldn’t move it and keep it by the kill site because the CO would like to see where we shot it. He also said no butcher would take the meat without his tag.
Dude, step away from the keyboard...

Fella
09-29-2020, 05:14 PM
Popcorn? Get your popcorn
Hasn’t been an HBC dogpile like this in awhile!

Razor84
09-29-2020, 05:44 PM
Dude, step away from the keyboard...

lol no shit - what a bafoon

boilerroom
09-29-2020, 06:11 PM
well said tyreguy

Has nothing to do with Covid or Vancouver so please don't deflect like its someone else fault.

Elkhound
09-29-2020, 06:42 PM
I just dont have time to monitor this one. Closed