PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Ultra Light Cots?

Astepanuk
09-29-2020, 08:39 AM
Hey Guys

Really thinking about picking up an ultra light Cot wondering who has experience with them and if there is a preffered brand or model that everyone is using. I see on Amazon there are bunch of different models and price ranges.

Thanks.

waserwolf
09-29-2020, 09:00 AM
This Guy does a quick review of a Light Weight Cot while reviewing his SO Tipi.

https://youtu.be/xNu_V06LzSw

swampthing
09-29-2020, 06:17 PM
I was just in a hunt camp where to guys had the alps mountainering cots. They were brand new never used and the guys were happy with them after a weeks use.

fuzzybiscuit
09-29-2020, 06:43 PM
Hey Guys

Really thinking about picking up an ultra light Cot wondering who has experience with them and if there is a preffered brand or model that everyone is using. I see on Amazon there are bunch of different models and price ranges.

Thanks.

If I had your money Andrew I’d probably just buy the most expensive one I could find. That usually limits your chance of getting junk.

Astepanuk
09-30-2020, 06:42 AM
If I had your money Andrew I’d probably just buy the most expensive one I could find. That usually limits your chance of getting junk.

hahah I wish have you seen our Stock Price...

backstrap
09-30-2020, 11:53 AM
Thermarest makes two models. I forget the names. One has round feet and has no thermal layer and one has curved sort of moon shaped feet and a slight thermal layer. I’ve spent lots of nights on the round footed one and it’s great, especially if you pack a sleeping pad of some kind as well (if it’s cold that really helps). Around 3lbs I believe and easy to set up once you’ve done it a couple times.

browningboy
09-30-2020, 02:50 PM
I made one from balsa wood, so it's ultra-ultra light... After a good nights dinner and drinking it probably won't stand up to me!

grantk
09-30-2020, 08:42 PM
Canadian Tire carries a Woods brand one that is pretty light and sturdy, looks like it's on sale right now too:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/woods-lo-set-aluminum-cot-0765849p.html#srp

Astepanuk
10-01-2020, 06:09 AM
Canadian Tire carries a Woods brand one that is pretty light and sturdy, looks like it's on sale right now too:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/woods-lo-set-aluminum-cot-0765849p.html#srp

Thanks thats a nice looking Cot very similar design to the expensive Helinox cot one.

oddsix
10-01-2020, 06:53 AM
Not exactly ultra light but I picked up a FE Active cot off Amazon for $99. I don't have experience with any other cot to make a comparison but my 5 month pregnant wife found it comfy and supportive after a week of sleeping on it up north. I'll be using it for 2 nights this weekend. I believe a fellow does a comparison between the FE and the Helinox on Amazon.

Springer
10-01-2020, 09:21 AM
Good post Andrew. Im looking for one as well. The ones that are higher ended up taking up lots of room in the tipi tent . using the low profile would be much better for my use. Im selling my holiday trailer and buying an alaknack wall tent or however it is spelled. Cabellas sells them.

northernguy
10-01-2020, 11:43 AM
I have a Heliox cot 1. Very expensive but light, reasonably strong, much easier to set up that the Thermarest cots. It's quit comfortable when I add a Thermarest pad for insulation. It's sturdier than I would have guessed but it's no Mil-Spec cot. Still, strong enough to sit on the edge of without doing damage if you're not a clod.

The low profile works well in my tipi and is just tall enough to sit on the edge comfortably. There is enough room underneath to put my camp shoes, shaving kit, binoculars and so on.

I'm very happy with it.

BigD_83
10-01-2020, 04:20 PM
I have one of the original Thermarest cots. It is much more comfortable than sleeping on a thermarest alone, and quite a bit warmer. As previously mentioned, it is not the easiest to setup for a small space like a backpacking tent and the feet are brutal on the tent material. You have to be careful to pad them out and make sure they don't contact the sidewall at all. While three pounds doesn't sound like much, it is an extra days worth of food and fuel, so consider that when planning a hike-in hunt. Still, how much is a good night's sleep worth?

If I was going for a long-term hunt, had a wall tent and weight wasn't an issue, I'd try to find an older, square-tubed, army cot. Slept like a baby in those, but it could have been the 16 hour days...

swampthing
10-01-2020, 07:20 PM
Thermarest makes two models. I forget the names. One has round feet and has no thermal layer and one has curved sort of moon shaped feet and a slight thermal layer. I’ve spent lots of nights on the round footed one and it’s great, especially if you pack a sleeping pad of some kind as well (if it’s cold that really helps). Around 3lbs I believe and easy to set up once you’ve done it a couple times.

Luxery lite is the model. I just bought a used one for $60.00

butcher
10-01-2020, 07:31 PM
Good post Andrew. Im looking for one as well. The ones that are higher ended up taking up lots of room in the tipi tent . using the low profile would be much better for my use. Im selling my holiday trailer and buying an alaknack wall tent or however it is spelled. Cabellas sells them.

whoa there chief, I'm gonna have to poop in the woods like a barbarian now? How thoughtless of you.

wos
10-01-2020, 07:51 PM
All I can add to all this is 3 pounds and the word ultrlite should almost never be said together when talking hiking gear. That's a lot of extra weight!

Astepanuk
10-03-2020, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I’m leaning towards a cot since on our second night had one heck of a wind storm and lifted the corner of my tent as I was scrambling to secure to hold the tent down my pad touched my wood stove and well melted. 7 nights sleeping just on my cloths on the rocks was very painful.

combine pilot
10-04-2020, 11:12 AM
I use a Helinox cot very good but expensive. Buddy just bought a Desert Walker cot also worked very well and way cheaper. Had a Therm-Rest but did not care for it. Sleeping closer to the ground is way colder and no room for storage under cot.

Dour
10-04-2020, 07:27 PM
I had a ok one a couple years ago . I used it once and left it on the side of a river. It was the first time I used it also haha! I left it all bagged up leaning on a tree .. I got it from SkyView in surrey. It was a really good sleep!!!!!!! Only one . But worth it ��*♂️Hahaha

BigD_83
10-05-2020, 03:38 PM
All I can add to all this is 3 pounds and the word ultrlite should almost never be said together when talking hiking gear. That's a lot of extra weight!
You're not wrong...

Astepanuk
10-06-2020, 07:09 AM

Totally agree this would be for Float plane trips only!!