PDA

View Full Version : Back from my hunt

hunter1947
10-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Well it's good to be back on board with all you HBC members. I had my ups and i had my downs on my seven week hunting trip. I saw lots of bull elk around 22 and out of the 22 of them i was sure that 6 of them were 6 points on the one side or other. It was the way the elk trip went for me ,not seeing that sixth sticker there. I was sure that at least 6 of the 6 bulls that i think were 6 points were 6 points ,but i will not shoot at an elk unless i count 3 times the 6 stickers are there ,that's just the way i am ,don't shoot unless you are positive it is a 6 point. I myself do think that the wildlife departments are moving the right direction to bring back good elk hunting in the elk regions of the EK. I saw about 100 cow and calves. Called in one huge big old bore grizzly ,we took to shots over it but it was still coming towards us so we got out of there when it was about a 150 yards from us. I have a transmission problem with my automatic ,it has a real bad vibration for a few sec when accelerating ?????. I also had my headlight sockets burn up on my truck both sides ,don't ever use 10 watt bulbs in your truck. The dash lights and parking lights come on when putting the truck in reverse ????. I really had a bad time with a pack rat he eat the heck out of my truck :frown:. I caught him in my glove compartment one evening ,i opened it up and there he was ,i grabbed him and he tried biting me ,i took him over to a rock and hit him ,good night Mr pack rat ,he made me mad after what he did to my truck inside. He took used toilet paper into his nest when building it. He first started taking over my truck buy building a nest on my valve covers ,i keep recking it ,then he moved into my cab ,then built his nest in my heater fan motor compartment :mad:. I did have lots of good hunts and did manage to put down a nice 4 point whitetail deer. It is good to be back home after 7 weeks in the bush ,it was to long really ,next year will be for 2 or 3 weeks only at one time. Will post some snow pic and a few others latter on ,back is getting sore ,cant sit much longer hear. Good to be on board again.:D.

mark
10-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Nice to see ya back Wayne! I bet theres about 30,000 new posts for ya to catch up on! Ya got pics of the rat for us???? My elk hunt went the same, 14 bulls in 14 days for me and nothing legal. 28 bulls total between 3 of us and not a 6 point anywhere. The moose situation was very weak too! Im sure ya had a blast though!

boxhitch
10-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Welcome back. Tuff luck on the success.

I myself do think that the wildlife departments are moving the right direction to bring back good elk hunting in the elk regiond of the EK.
Rather a noble statement, inlite of the lack of bulls ??

hunter1947
10-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Welcome back. Tuff luck on the success.

Rather a noble statement, inlite of the lack of bulls ?? There were two 6 point bull elk taken in our camp both being 5x6. :cool:.

Bow Walker
10-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Good to see you home safe and sound Wayne. I'll enjoy the pictures when you get them posted.....

Dan.

boxhitch
10-21-2007, 08:36 AM
There were two 6 point bull elk taken in our camp both being 5x6. :cool:.Aha, the rest of the story. Things are good.

huntwriter
10-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Pack rats. Just thinking about these critters brings my blood to boiling point. I hate them is an understatement.:mad:
Glad to hear that otherwise you have had a good time and came back in one piece. Looking forward to hear more about the trip and see some pictures too.

bcbooner
10-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Had the same problem with a rat on a past hunt,a real challange to remove before the truck is messed up.We had a good Elk hunt this year taking 3 Bulls out off 4 tags.Nice Bulls in the 240-260 class.

ruger#1
10-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Hey Wayne we all missed you. Glad to se you are safe. Take some glue traps next time. That will fix the rat. Or you could stick one on your hunting partners beard . Good for a laugh.

quadrakid
10-21-2007, 10:04 AM
we missed you on the site,good to hear some elk came into your camp.

pmj
10-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Welcome back hunter1947,
Good on you to bag that pack rat. Does that fall under Schedule B wildlife:wink:? Congratulations on the w-t and glad to hear you are back safe.

CoqTrophys
10-21-2007, 11:09 AM
welcome back. sounds like my elk hunt this year. In the 10 days we were hunting we managed to call in over a dozen but we just couldn't get close enough to pull that inch off of the main beam. 7 weeks is a long time, good to hear it was a safe trip.

BlacktailStalker
10-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Lol "Good night Mr pack Rat"
I guess thats just the way the cookie crumbled this year Wayne. Your success ratio is still unbelievable and think of how hard you pounded that area for next year. You're current on where the elk are regarding the new areas that have been opened up or grown in and you'll use it to your advantage next year.
Also, you were able to spend 5 weeks longer in the mountains than most people you lucky bugger !

fozzy
10-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Welcome home Wayne :) Even though it seemed too long it must have been nice to leave the city behind for that long.

Vibration on your truck? That sucks! Check your U joints too if you haven't already.
I'll drop by one of these days and return your maps :)

The Hermit
10-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey Wayne we all missed you. Glad to se you are safe. Take some glue traps next time. That will fix the rat. Or you could stick one on your hunting partners beard . Good for a laugh.

:lol: Remind me to never fall asleep around ruger#1 !!!

dime
10-21-2007, 03:58 PM
He took used toilet paper into his nest when building it.

Always best to bury the evidence. Saves people stepping in it when in the bush and other mishaps like this one. My camp this year had a latrine made out of an old lawn chair with a toilet seat bolted to it over a ditch that we dug. After each use, just kick some of the dirt pile back in the ditch. No smell or problems.

Sounds like you guys had a great time, good to have you back safely.

tuchodi
10-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Welcome back: Sounds like a good trip overall. If every hunt was a complete sucess we wouldn't have any other good stories like Rat Hunting.
Can't wait to see pictures

newhunterette
10-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Welcome home Wayne - after so many trials and tribulations I am so very happy that you still had a wonderful time and experience - hehehehehe love the pack rat story "good night" those things are such a nuisance. I am looking forward to your pictures. U take your time though darlin, I know ur back is really painful and siting for long periods of time at the computer are hard - just so elated to have you back and safe :)

Ali

Mik
10-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Incredible, 7 weeks of hunting, ahh to be so lucky! Congrats on the deer.

bckev
10-23-2007, 09:23 AM
I would love to be able to hunt for 7 weeks, lucky guy.

Ciskman
10-23-2007, 09:31 AM
welcome home

bruin
10-23-2007, 12:23 PM
welcome back, glad you enjoyed your trip, helluva way to start retirement. Looking forward to seeing the pics

hunter1947
10-23-2007, 12:42 PM
I would love to be able to hunt for 7 weeks, lucky guy.
It was hard on me the last 2 weeks of the hunt ,reason being is that after you have been getting up at 5am and going to bed at 10pm ,it was catching up to me at my age ,some of the hunts were 10klm morning hunts ,pounded hard every day. Then when the back went out on me ,it brought me to my knees ,especially when trying to get a 700 pound moose back to camp ,no fun. looking forwards to next years elk hunt ,with black tail stalker.