PDA

View Full Version : Used or new? Utv/side by side

kosser
09-28-2020, 11:23 AM
In the market for a side by side. Don’t know if I should fork out the extra money for brand new or a used one. 2015 and newer. Basically know nothing about em. Just came back from my leh hunt and roads were awful. Don’t want to take the truck in the Bush any more. Almost got stuck 10 times. What brand make and model.. thanks to those who reply in advance...

marcus44
09-28-2020, 12:00 PM
I just bought a 2019 Yamaha Viking VI (6 seater for big family). But I am definitely loving it.

swampthing
09-28-2020, 12:10 PM
The yamahas are certainly reliable. Look for one that has service records. We use different SXS at work and the yamahas have proven most reliable and tough. The polaris are great units but tend to have more issues

notyalc
09-28-2020, 12:37 PM
Majority of SxS owners beat the crap out of them.....there’s no such thing as “putting around” in one. If it were me I would buy brand new and save the headache and bs from buying used. I’ve always bought new and some buddies always buy used....guess who never has problems while out playing around?...

kosser
09-28-2020, 01:00 PM
Majority of SxS owners beat the crap out of them.....there’s no such thing as “putting around” in one. If it were me I would buy brand new and save the headache and bs from buying used. I’ve always bought new and some buddies always buy used....guess who never has problems while out playing around?...
yea me too i usually buy knew everything. not a fan of used. i looked on fb market place and even used utv's goin for over 20k...iv heard polaris have issues, a buddy told me canam is a great machine. heard good things about yamaha also. haven't heard anything about kawasaki or honda. thanks for responses guys.

kosser
09-28-2020, 01:01 PM
basically looking around 15-20k for base models after add ons...

Grumpa Joe
09-28-2020, 01:05 PM
I have a 2016 Yamaha Viking, 3,400 kms on it. it has been great, certainly reduces the wear and tear on the truck and can go into areas you'd cringe at taking a decent truck. Change oil and coolant on it religiously, grease all the suspension, clean it up after every outing. Carries 3 occupants, typically, with all their gear and 2 to 4 Elkhounds :lol: in a wire crate in the bed. I don't ratbag it because I need it to last and they aren't cheap. I bought it new for much of the reasons mentioned above but you may find some gems out there. Good luck in your search.

Just
09-28-2020, 01:45 PM
We just threw down on a Kawasaki teryx 4. Pick it up this weekend!

dakoda62
09-28-2020, 02:15 PM
Bought a Can Am Maverick Trail in May, New. Looked local, everything had high mileage or issues. Easy to rack up the miles, im an occasional rider i'm over 2200 k.

warnniklz
09-28-2020, 03:01 PM
Winch out before throttle out can save you a lot of money on any machine.

jan.wi97
09-28-2020, 03:14 PM
Winch out before throttle out can save you a lot of money on any machine.

Ain't that the golden truth!!

jac
09-28-2020, 03:45 PM
I have bought 3 new ones. I have owned 50” and 63” machines I prefer the 50” machine by far. Goes more places and fits in my truck box.

blacksn95
09-28-2020, 03:54 PM
My buddies all own them and they get rid of them after warranty expire on them for good reason... Unless you know the previous owner they are a gamble in my opinion

hunterkyle
09-28-2020, 04:22 PM
I’ve been toying with the idea of selling my sxs. Pm me for details

browningboy
09-28-2020, 10:06 PM
I have a 800 razor, 2014 with less than 2k on odometer, never use it.. has stereo, speakers, hard doors, hard roof, bush bars, mags etc...was a showroom model... just toying of selling it

Ethan
09-29-2020, 06:44 AM
My brother has been running a Yamaha Rhino 700 for 10 years now and I bought my grizzly 700 at the same time. The rhino will go almost as far as the grizzly will in rough trails but it’s top speed is around 60kmh unless your reving it to the moon. If I were buying a side by side for mostly trails go with the Rhino but if you plan on a lot of FSR and riding longer distances with guys in quads or faster side by sides it’s a little annoying not being able to keep up. I wouldn’t worry too much about buying used if you can get a deal and it’s bone stock with little to no mods but like someone else said guys want almost the same price as new so it’s easier to just buy new a lot of the time.

blackhawk19
09-29-2020, 08:20 AM
There are some that are used for farm work that havent been beaten up . I have a Polaris Ranger , bullet proof

Bustercluck
09-29-2020, 08:47 AM
A friend of mine just bought a 2012 rhino for $7000 with really low kms. I think it’s a good machine for the price, plus it came with all of the add ons you’d want to install yourself. Winch, led lights, windshield, roof, stereo

Bustercluck
09-29-2020, 08:50 AM
I’ve been looking at used quads for a second machine. I’ll only buy Yamaha or Honda and the used Honda’s around 2004-2006 seem to be asking around $6000. I think this is a little bit ridiculous when a new one is just over 10k, but resale value might be worth considering if you’re buying new.

kelowna.jordan
09-29-2020, 08:57 AM
As Bustercluck just mentioned, everyone seems to think they're 10+ year old machine with 5000+ kms on it is still worth 6 or 7 grand. There are machines out there that have been well looked after, but those are few and far between. I bought my 2016 Suzuki King Quad 500 new at the end of 2016 for 9500. I couldn't justify the price difference between new and used

lakelander
09-29-2020, 09:22 AM
In the market for a side by side. Don’t know if I should fork out the extra money for brand new or a used one. 2015 and newer. Basically know nothing about em. Just came back from my leh hunt and roads were awful. Don’t want to take the truck in the Bush any more. Almost got stuck 10 times. What brand make and model.. thanks to those who reply in advance...

I bought a brand new Honda Pioneer 500. Put a windshield, roof, winch, LED lights, gun racks and the machine is awesome. With it being only 50 inches wide, it gets me into most places. Got mine for $14K. I was reluctant to buy used as I didn't want one that had been abused and left me deep in the bush someday. I can scout around for the whole day and it uses under $10 gas.

primitive
09-29-2020, 02:46 PM
I too bought a Honda Pioneer (750), and love it. Alberta has a ton of SXS for sale (oil/gas crashing). Facebook marketplace seems to be the best venue for finding these machines. Good luck

MBHunter
09-29-2020, 08:05 PM
I bought a 2018 polaris ranger northstar crew out of quebec with 600 miles. Came with tracks and paid 28,500. Was a great deal. Since getting it last september put on 1200 miles and loving it. But i agree, normally i wouldn't buy used. Guess i got lucky.

kosser
09-30-2020, 08:57 AM
I bought a brand new Honda Pioneer 500. Put a windshield, roof, winch, LED lights, gun racks and the machine is awesome. With it being only 50 inches wide, it gets me into most places. Got mine for $14K. I was reluctant to buy used as I didn't want one that had been abused and left me deep in the bush someday. I can scout around for the whole day and it uses under $10 gas.
You happy with 500 or would you go 700 750.

lakelander
09-30-2020, 09:13 AM
e
You happy with 500 or would you go 700 750.

I am very happy with the 500. I only use it for hunting and scouting in non hunting season. The size is perfect for my trailer and the trails. It's not a machine that's designed to tear around the back country at high speed like the Rzr. It suited my application perfectly and with the mods, it makes hunting pretty comfortable.

kosser
09-30-2020, 11:21 AM
I’m gonna look at Honda, arctic cat, can am, Yamaha and Kawasaki. I think 500-750 models will be perfect for what il use it for. Trails, scouting, hunting ext.. il put winch on and excessories after. Looked at fb market place and not a lot on there, everyone wants $$$ so il look at new. Only machine that iv heard had issues so far was Polaris. Again thanks to everyone that put in there two cents.

t-rexer
09-30-2020, 09:40 PM
I bought a Kawasaki teryx in 08 brand new. Loved that machine. I flipped it with the mrs going 80km,that wasn’t fun. Only damage to the machine was the box was a right off and the cage got tweaked about 3/4”. I kept it for another couple years using it for hunting and going out with the boys. I sold it almost a year ago and bought a 4 seater teryx as my family has grown. I bought band new again and I plan to have this for 10 yrs or more. Last one lasted me 10 before I upgraded.
Kawasaki puts out a super reliable machine with enough power to get you where you need to be and they back it with a 3 yr warranty which was another selling feature. I’m super happy with the kawi.
which ever route you go a winch is 100% Needed as they are heavy machines. 4000lb winch at least. And a full windshield don’t mess around with a half windshield they don’t do anything. I have a super at. Flip up windshield so I can open it if it’s to hot.

wallz
10-08-2020, 11:16 AM
Bought a used 09 RZR 800 for an awsome deal almost 7 years ago. Just put close to 1500 kms more on it in 2 weeks moose hunting. I have slowly upgraded things on it out of use more than necessity, and use it mainly for hunting. Shocks and metal doors were the best ones besides some wider wings on the roof. Wider roof really saves the rifles from getting rained on. Carries 2 rifles and a 22 easy, with 2 people. Have packed out multiple deer, bear and moose with it now.
The narrower frame is the way to go at only 49" wide. Looked at a new ranger yesterday at 65" wide. That thing won't go into 3/4's of the places I was just in on the rzr. We take all sorts of trails, and make easy ones thru the trees on deactivated roads, so it gets us into areas you would have a hard time walking into to pack something out. Ride in part way, walk the rest and walk back to rzr to pack out the animal.
Had one guy ask us if we ever get close to animals while hunting? We were running it back out, doing about 40 kms/hr on a trail after the morning hunt and it was time for a little bit of fun while out hunting. Stopped to talk to an old goat that was out getting his game cam. I say it like this back. Only 25 ft to a 4 point mullie, about 35 yrds to a moose, but I think that is close enough.

Winch is a must, some fender flares, and back window. (I made one out of plexi bent into the proper shape to go around the snorkel I made). I have found that the more aggressive tires kick up way more mud than a quad and we always used to get muddy. After adding the back plexi we ride in comfort again. I run 1/2 shield up front, and always carry extra 10L of fuel, chain saw, and now extra 100 ft rope, rain gear in a dry bag. Invest in a good rifle scabbard to keep your gear dry. On the trails we can go close to 130 kms on a fuel tank, and that is not always just putting along as we do get some fun in there in the mix, at times you just need some fun.

kosser
10-08-2020, 08:28 PM
thanks for the reply, very helpful..

fuzzybiscuit
10-08-2020, 09:03 PM
My parents bought a top end 2017 Yamaha Wolverine 700 new. I think it has 200km on it now. I’m planning on buying it when they are done with it in the next 5 or so years. I figure it will have less than 500km on it by then. Does an oil change every 70km sound sound like hard use...?

There are some good ones out there but you need to be looking multiple times a day on Craigslist, Kijiji, Facebook Marketplace, etc....because if they are low km and a decent price they go real fast.

Just
10-09-2020, 05:28 AM
I bought a Kawasaki teryx in 08 brand new. Loved that machine. I flipped it with the mrs going 80km,that wasn’t fun. Only damage to the machine was the box was a right off and the cage got tweaked about 3/4”. I kept it for another couple years using it for hunting and going out with the boys. I sold it almost a year ago and bought a 4 seater teryx as my family has grown. I bought band new again and I plan to have this for 10 yrs or more. Last one lasted me 10 before I upgraded.
Kawasaki puts out a super reliable machine with enough power to get you where you need to be and they back it with a 3 yr warranty which was another selling feature. I’m super happy with the kawi.
which ever route you go a winch is 100% Needed as they are heavy machines. 4000lb winch at least. And a full windshield don’t mess around with a half windshield they don’t do anything. I have a super at. Flip up windshield so I can open it if it’s to hot.

I just bought a terry’s 4, and goin out this weekend into the bush. No spare, and it came with maxis 2.0 tires. I’ve been told to change out my tires as these go flat very easy. Have you had experience with these? Availability of spares is bleak. Guy says he can’t even get tubes for his bikes!
anywase I’ve gone to crappy tire and picked up plugs and am brining the 12v compressor.
Got my winch mounted, a flip down windshield, and a bump seat for my 2yr old son!
hoping for the best!

nornscreek
10-09-2020, 07:33 AM
2014 honda pioneer, no belt, no transfer case, just 3 gears ahead 1 reverse ,i have the 700-4, has convertable seats in the back not fast but comfortable and quiet

Pioneerman
10-09-2020, 09:05 AM
If you are buying a UTV that is not a sport model far better chance of not being beaten and had the bag ran off it. I bought 3 UTV models utility not sport all with less that 750 kms on them and saved a ton. New is nice for sure, but so is that extra $5000 in your pocket for another hunt or two. As mentioned the Yamaha Viking is a good solid machine, and will be my choice if I get another one. It is a bit bigger even for 3 seater, but good reliable machine. Honda is decent, but can be pricey , the Polaris ranger 570 is a good price great motor and excellent on fuel, just does not have a engine brake. I have had a couple Arctic cats I was never a fan of them, but this 2016 I have is great. There is deals to be had for good used machines, if you watch they will come up especially after hunting season. Xmas and tax times are when the prices are better

Redthies
10-09-2020, 07:23 PM
2014 honda pioneer, no belt, no transfer case, just 3 gears ahead 1 reverse ,i have the 700-4, has convertable seats in the back not fast but comfortable and quiet

I contracted to a company that had many of both. The 500s were FAR more reliable, and unless you need to carry 4 people, are far nicer to operate. The 700s are autos and suck on hills. The 500s are paddle shift so you can gear down for hills. I beat the living tar out of one of the 500s for an entire spring to fall season working in the bush and it never even hiccuped. When I say I flogged it, I mean torture. Imagine the worst beating, and then do it every day for 6 months.

warnniklz
10-09-2020, 08:07 PM
... , the Polaris ranger 570 is a good price great motor and excellent on fuel, just does not have a engine brake...

Some of them it's as easy as having a 1 way clutch bearing installed. Some of them it's a clutch, clutch bearing and belt... but can be done.

tipper
10-09-2020, 09:13 PM
Some of these comments show that you can't believe everything you read on the internet...

Farmer
10-09-2020, 09:13 PM
I’m gonna look at Honda, arctic cat, can am, Yamaha and Kawasaki. I think 500-750 models will be perfect for what il use it for. Trails, scouting, hunting ext.. il put winch on and excessories after. Looked at fb market place and not a lot on there, everyone wants $$$ so il look at new. Only machine that iv heard had issues so far was Polaris. Again thanks to everyone that put in there two cents.

I would avoid Arctic cat. My neighbour had one. He kept it about a year. too many problems. And you needed ear plugs in when riding in it . It was very noisy inside. The plexiglass windows scratched really easily and they didn't open.

Ironbutt
10-09-2020, 09:57 PM
Polaris / Yamaha. Watch width to go more places. If buying that new warranty and brand new might be worth the financing and less hassles. Buy older if you can fix it.

Pioneerman
10-09-2020, 09:59 PM
Some of them it's as easy as having a 1 way clutch bearing installed. Some of them it's a clutch, clutch bearing and belt... but can be done.

Yes I looked into it when I owned it and I wanted to do the same, but even then it is not a good engine brake, the better way to go would be the DuraClutch system, in the states it is like $900 to get one here they want $2000 but it does come complete with everything you need, remove the whole side and replace with this, seen lots of reviews it is impressive, but then so is the Yamaha engine braking and no extra costs

BimmerBob
10-09-2020, 10:07 PM
What drive system does Kawasaki use on their Mule SXS Pro model, I really like the idea of a 3 cyl engine rather than a big bore single but can't seem to find much on their drive system. I also like their windshield and roof much better than the others I have looked at as it doesn't drip water all over the dash.

kosser
10-10-2020, 09:32 AM
narrowed my search to honda, yamaha, can am and kawasaki...il purchase new unless something a year or two old pops up. also looking at trailers in chillwack abby. 6x10 would work.

Dannybuoy
10-10-2020, 02:54 PM
If you ever want to put tracks on it , get at least an 800 .... the Honda 700 sxs probably doesn't have the power to turn a set of tracks . My friend has one and it is a slug compared to my commander 800

AK-47
12-08-2020, 12:16 PM
e

I am very happy with the 500. I only use it for hunting and scouting in non hunting season. The size is perfect for my trailer and the trails. It's not a machine that's designed to tear around the back country at high speed like the Rzr. It suited my application perfectly and with the mods, it makes hunting pretty comfortable.

I have an ATV w/o power steering and my elbows becoming sore after couple days of riding in rough terrains.
So i'm thinking to replace ATV with SxS and considering Honda 500. But Honda 500 does not have power steering. How does it feel to drive thru rough terrains?

lakelander
12-08-2020, 01:34 PM
I have an ATV w/o power steering and my elbows becoming sore after couple days of riding in rough terrains.
So i'm thinking to replace ATV with SxS and considering Honda 500. But Honda 500 does not have power steering. How does it feel to drive thru rough terrains?

I have the Honda P500 and I have no issues with it without power steering. I wanted it without power steering to keep it simple and reliable. It's a great machine to hunt with but not one if you want to rip down trails all day. It's not as fast the others and the suspension travel is less than most.

RICKADY
12-09-2020, 04:52 PM
Stick to a Yamaha or Honda, can't go wrong, buy used ones carefully.

fuzzybiscuit
12-09-2020, 06:50 PM
The best jet boat is if it’s someone else’s .Pay the guy to take you up and drop you off .No problem.Your going to have 80 to 100 grand involved .Just pretend you have one invest the money and pay some one else to drive you with interest off your investment.
Best advice I can give you !lol

Wow. Leapt from atv’s to jet boats in a single jump. I think someone meant to reply to a different thread. Lol.

tko
12-10-2020, 10:22 AM
If you ever want to put tracks on it , get at least an 800 .... the Honda 700 sxs probably doesn't have the power to turn a set of tracks . My friend has one and it is a slug compared to my commander 800

I have 700-4 and have tracks on it and it works great! The Honda 700 isn’t a fast machine even with tires so if ur looking for speed stay away !

i would buy used you save so much money . No one ever sells what they put into it .

tipper
12-10-2020, 09:43 PM
narrowed my search to honda, yamaha, can am and kawasaki...il purchase new unless something a year or two old pops up. also looking at trailers in chillwack abby. 6x10 would work.
All good choices, would stay away from polaris.

Edit and also stay away from tracks. Been there and never again.

3than
12-10-2020, 09:45 PM
Honda hasn't let me down so far.

Dougielightning
12-10-2020, 10:25 PM
The rhinos are great. Buy from 08 to 12 fuel injected. Get a lo hour machine for around 8 grand. Tough as nails easy to fix narrow stance for small trails . Just my 2 cents though loud and not the fastest, but... that’s ok

Fallkniven
12-12-2020, 08:48 AM
I have a Kawa mule, absolutely solid and reliable...slow....but gets you there!

stogs
12-12-2020, 12:40 PM
Bought a 2014 polaris 900 crew for 3k 6000km put in 2 k runs like a dream. Almost 8500 now. My company owns lots of polaris machines once you start working on them its all the same

bighornbob
12-12-2020, 04:37 PM
I just won a Kubota RTV-XG850 in a contest but have not actually seen it person yet. The reviews I have read are quite good for this relatively new UTV maker and am looking forward to receiving it and trying it out this spring. Might be something to look at too.

BHB

tigrr
12-12-2020, 06:27 PM
Honda 500 atv and run it for 3 generations with proper maintenance. Buy once cry once.

swampthing
12-12-2020, 06:43 PM
In a used machine, look for service records. I record all my maintenance and mods in the back of the owners manual. Look at who you are buying it from? Generally an older fella will be easier on his rig than a 25 year old! We run UTVs/ATVs at work and they are all fairly decent. The polaris isnt generally as reliable as the others mainly due to the clutch. A guy needs to know how to drive a polaris clutch. They are a great performing UTV though! The yamaha viking has probably been the most reliable UTV we use. Hondas are up there but their trannys have issues that are hard to fix.