PDA

View Full Version : Cost to hang game?

Panzerfauste
09-28-2020, 08:22 AM
Buddy and I got a big, old bull elk down and its been hanging at a friend of a friends walk-in for 10 days.

Hes a great guy and not expecting us to pay anything, but we feel like we have to give him something for his help.

We are just a coupla deer hunters and we've never hung anything before, so we have no idea what it costs to do so. Ussually we can just fit the deer quarters in my 2nd fridge till we are done butchering, not a chance of that with the elk haha

How much do you reckon you would expect to pay to hang 4 Elk quarts, ribs, and neck per day at a place?

we just want to get a point of reference!

blaine
09-28-2020, 08:47 AM
if it hasn't really been an inconvenience to him, I would say a case of his favorite Beer and a bottle of wine for his wife, toss in a few nice cuts of steak, that would make me happy.

todbartell
09-28-2020, 08:49 AM
A hundred bucks doesn't buy much these days. Booze is always a good tender

BimmerBob
09-28-2020, 10:26 AM
If memory serves we were paying $25 per day per moose at the store in Hudson Hope for our early hunts in the Peace. It was too warm to hang them in camp. We decided to build a portable cooler after that as the cost of getting them back to Hudson Hope was pretty costly in both time and fuel as well.

BRvalley
09-28-2020, 12:11 PM
I've used a butcher for only cooler service twice now....different butchers were both $25/day and 3 day minimum, I think that is a good starting point to use

if the guy who has the cooler is a rancher/farmer (never seen anybody else with a big walk in cooler, so just assuming here), maybe offer to help with some work, fencing or haying next year.....sounds like a good friend to keep with a walk in cooler

rocksteady
09-28-2020, 12:25 PM
alcohol is the best barter material.. period...

A nice bottle of scotch/whiskey/ rum of the owners taste will get you a long ways

barry1974w
09-29-2020, 09:59 PM
Some people don’t drink (don’t really know how they cope ;)). If not, maybe a gift card to a nice local restaurant. It’d be a good idea to keep him happy, knowing someone with a cooler that they let you use is a big plus.

adriaticum
09-29-2020, 10:08 PM
After tonight's debate I also want to know how much it costs to hang?

caddisguy
09-29-2020, 11:48 PM
If he's "not expecting" payment (sounds like that might have been communicated in some way?) might be difficult/awkward to push the topic forward.

Doubt he would refuse some good cuts though as blaine mentioned, so I would be generous in that regard... and then of course just being a good friend and helping out any way possible when needed, now or later as BRvalley mentioned. That's all very classy stuff. Good answers!

blackhawk19
09-30-2020, 07:53 AM
show up with a nice bottle of scotch or vodka or both . . even if he doesn't drink I'm sure his family or friends do . Next time you need him his doors will always be open to you