PDA

View Full Version : Christian Valley Questions from a NEWB.

Rutger77
09-27-2020, 09:44 PM
We're looking at doing a family weekend in October and doing a hunting day in 8-12 or 8-14.

I have two questions:

1. would it be a waste of money to buy an elk tag in that region, for that time of year? I've been up before in fall and CV is insanely busy and elk are scarce, I know.

2. Has anyone camped at "Old Cowboy Ranch" and would you endorse it or provide any caveats?

Thanks in Advance!

dasnake
09-28-2020, 12:30 AM
Not sure on elk, but we were at thone lake camp a few times, had some luck.

Redthies
09-28-2020, 06:42 AM
CV is insanely busy around that time. I would have both elk and moose tags in my pocket just in case, but most of the elk I’ve seen in that area is usually closer to Bridesville hanging out on the big ranches. You’re most likely to see white tail,and eastern block hunters at that time of year. Take along a Russian / Ukrainian phrase book to help with the big camps.

I’ve not stayed at the Cowboy Ranch, but it’s in a nice area. We used to have 100 acres just north of there when I was a kid. Really wish we still did!

Linksman313
09-28-2020, 07:18 AM
You’re most likely to see white tail,and eastern block hunters at that time of year. Take along a Russian / Ukrainian phrase book to help with the big camps.

Things have changed over the years, still busy as ever, still Eastern bloc, but now better off bringing your Mandarin/Cantonese Phrase book.

Redthies
09-28-2020, 07:32 AM
I was there last October for 4 days and it was all “da, comerade” all the time. Mind you, I wasn’t there on a weekend so maybe it changes then? I said good morning as I walked by one camp and got blank stares and mumbling. Either way, it’s stupid busy there.

jac
09-28-2020, 11:30 AM
It’s very busy and it never hurts to have a elk tag but it’s a rare thing to get into them.

whognu
09-28-2020, 11:58 AM
that, or do like i do............

if you want to see bull elk, do not buy a tag

if you want to see zippy-do-dah, then buy one

hope this helps

xoxo

djwinthehouse
06-28-2021, 10:19 PM
place is like Vietnam during hunting season

walks with deer
06-28-2021, 11:40 PM
Yup lots of pressure theres a reason lots of game..

I find the hunting out there really good.

Elk tag for sure...

Get out od your truck and kill some deer.

Codes44
06-29-2021, 09:50 AM
Christian Valley VERY busy place now but still holds game, still Elk there for sure - October may be a little late for Elk though.