PDA

View Full Version : Lodestone lake

dasnake
09-27-2020, 04:18 PM
Going up there on the 16th for two weeks, anyone been in the Princeton, coalmont, tulameen area the last two weeks.

wbeasley13
09-27-2020, 04:34 PM
Spent 4 days off the Princeton/Summerland road last week with my 7 year old.

Lots of does but no Muley bucks.

Had one elk bugle back a few times from the next ridge over until an ATV drove down the logging road in the valley between us.

Saw 3 black bears, one nice boar but couldn’t stalk close enough before he topped the ridge and disappeared.

Traffic wasn’t too heavy during the Monday and Tuesday - a bit heavy on the Saturday/Sunday.

Not much fresh sign down low - had to get up high before the critters were moving.

Iron Glove
09-27-2020, 06:16 PM
Son was up Loadstone, Garrison, out Tulameen way maybe a week or so ago, saw nothing.
It was still pretty hot and smoky so imagine it's a lot better now.
I'm heading to Tulameen Tues or Weds for a week or so, will let you know if it's improved.
It's usually a lot better in October and you get the any buck mulie and "antlerless" white tail opportunities.

twoSevenO
09-27-2020, 08:30 PM
Lodestone? The one right on the whipsaw 4x4 trail?
Is there actually game around there? That area sure gets a TON of traffic. I remember doing this trail a few times in my jeep and that trail seemed always super busy

Iron Glove
09-27-2020, 09:33 PM
Lodestone? The one right on the whipsaw 4x4 trail?
Is there actually game around there? That area sure gets a TON of traffic. I remember doing this trail a few times in my jeep and that trail seemed always super busy

The Lodestone FSR is pretty long and leads to a lot of decent hunting areas.
For sure to avoid on the Thanksgiving Weekend.
Son is off work most Fridays so he can hit it before the LMR crowd arrives.

dasnake
09-28-2020, 12:28 AM
Thanx all, we were up there a few years ago but my bud ruined his back had to leave, lots of cutblocks and we are using quads so access isn't a problem, fish for a while also.

Aaron600
09-28-2020, 07:01 AM
I will never hunt the Tulameen area on thanksgiving weekend again. What an absolute gong show!

Iron Glove
09-28-2020, 08:09 AM
I will never hunt the Tulameen area on thanksgiving weekend again. What an absolute gong show!

Yup, it can be pretty busy with hunters and ATVers.
We tend to hit a few less popular areas then, we didn't get anything but saw a number of Mulie bucks and a neighbour got two small white tails.

DesiMunda
09-30-2020, 08:21 AM
Hello, anyone currently up in the Coalmont/Tulameen area? See any Mulie bucks and how is are the hunter numbers?

Iron Glove
09-30-2020, 10:07 AM
Hello, anyone currently up in the Coalmont/Tulameen area? See any Mulie bucks and how is are the hunter numbers?

I'm responding from my Tulameen cabin. :D
Just got here yesterday, haven't really been out and about, saw a number of does driving in but no bucks.
Son lives in Princeton, spent a few days late last week / weekend in the Princeton - Lodestone, etc areas again lots of does, one buck and a number of bears. Pretty empty around here but expect there to be a lot of hunters out this weekend.

Elkhound
09-30-2020, 02:46 PM
was up there every weekend in Sept as my mom has property in Tulameen. Was a parade of trucks on every FSR and I lost count how many ATVs and off road clubs using the area.
Talked to friends that are in Coalmont and they have hunted hard for 2 weeks. No bucks. Minimal deer seen. Traffic and weather they feel.

Now that its Oct any buck I would expect triple the traffic as that what happens every year.

rageous
09-30-2020, 04:20 PM
was up there every weekend in Sept as my mom has property in Tulameen. Was a parade of trucks on every FSR and I lost count how many ATVs and off road clubs using the area.
Talked to friends that are in Coalmont and they have hunted hard for 2 weeks. No bucks. Minimal deer seen. Traffic and weather they feel.

Now that its Oct any buck I would expect triple the traffic as that what happens every year.

In other words there’s lots of deer around and not many other hunters. Lots of area to explore.

rageous
09-30-2020, 04:22 PM
I'm responding from my Tulameen cabin. :D
Just got here yesterday, haven't really been out and about, saw a number of does driving in but no bucks.
Son lives in Princeton, spent a few days late last week / weekend in the Princeton - Lodestone, etc areas again lots of does, one buck and a number of bears. Pretty empty around here but expect there to be a lot of hunters out this weekend.

Read between the lines folks. Lots of does means lots of bucks.

Iron Glove
09-30-2020, 04:45 PM
Read between the lines folks. Lots of does means lots of bucks.

Hush, no need to tell. :wink:

Elkhound
09-30-2020, 05:41 PM
In other words there’s lots of deer around and not many other hunters. Lots of area to explore.

Anybody that spends time on hbc and fb groups knows my family and I hunt princeton and tulameen for the last 13 years. Almost every weekend from may to nov I am in the mountains there with my kids and my elkhounds. Hiking. Exploring. Driving ..scouting and hunting.

We have had incredible success. There are a lot of deer in them there hills.
But in 13 years..... this sept was the first time my kids were not successful in canceling tags in the first week of sept.

What I'm saying is. If you think a hunter is going to be very successful hunting bucks there by driving the road and walking into the odd cutblock then they would be mistaken.

The roads are pounded HARD. Not just by hunters. But by atv enthusiasts and off road clubs.

But if you are willing to park and hike. You will get your buck.
My daughter and I got a double header of 4pts in 2017.
Took 5 of us 4.5hrs to get those deer to the truck.
If someone is prepared for work. They will be rewarded.

I have spent 20 years trying to help youth and new hunters into being successful hunters. So when someone asks a question like the original poster. I'm not afraid to post up truths.
Come up and hunt lodestone. You wont be getting the bucks I'm looking at.

rageous
09-30-2020, 07:50 PM
To the OP.... it’s a great area. More deer are shot on thanksgiving weekend in that area then any other weekend of the year. Your trip timing should be perfect. Hopefully get a dusting of snow to get the deer moving.
I’ve been hunting it for almost 30 years.

cameron0518
09-30-2020, 08:21 PM
No shortage of deer up there. Hit it hard and get off the roads. Great place to go that isn't far from the mainland.

Leaseman
10-01-2020, 02:46 PM
Hunted that area since 1980....

Still the odd deer around. You do need to stay on the beaten path.....:wink:

Steeleco
10-01-2020, 02:59 PM

That's the problem, the path is so well beaten its now a hwy LOL

rageous
10-01-2020, 04:31 PM
That's the problem, the path is so well beaten its now a hwy LOL

http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Leaseman http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=2200909#post2200909)

To the OP and anyone else looking for mule deer here’s some more confirmation the area is really good.

welcome

Leaseman
10-02-2020, 08:37 AM
The "area" does give up deer, bear, elk....

But.... you need to remember that there are hundreds upon hundreds of kilometers or roads, never mind the trails.

You can go in off the Coq and come out at Coalmont or Tulameen.

Huge area, all ages of clear cuts....

In some areas, I do believe that the CO's put in traffic lights (rabbit Mountain), that is how much traffic it gets, same with Lodestone Lake, huge draw for the quads, usually non hunters.

Try doing it like us old guys had to do it, go for a drive and hit any/all FSR's that you see, look for sign, glass and drive.

But first off make sure you know how to hunt. I have sent and taken people over the years up where i go, they end up seeing nothing, while I have seen several animals. Make sure you know how to spot pieces of deer, rarely will you see the whole deer.

One thing to remember is if you do go up there and get into the back country, the weather does come in real fast, watch it as you can get into trouble fast. A few times we have gone to bed and the temp was high teens, t-shirt weather, only to wake up with 18" of snow.

I will be up there several times over the next 6 weeks, probably could be I won't see one of you! ;)

Looking_4_Jerky
10-04-2020, 08:48 PM
The area is very good at the right times of fall. Get to the backside of cuts not seen from road. Find sign. Sit and watch.

rageous
10-09-2020, 12:14 PM
If you can swing it weekdays are less busy. Recent trip report was lots of deer moving. 72 deer in 3 days, 60 being does/fawns, 12 bucks varying in size. With the temps dropping this weekend should only get better. If your looking for a mule deer buck get out there!

Leaseman
10-09-2020, 12:27 PM
If you can swing it weekdays are less busy. Recent trip report was lots of deer moving. 72 deer in 3 days, 60 being does/fawns, 12 bucks varying in size. With the temps dropping this weekend should only get better. If your looking for a mule deer buck get out there!

So how many bucks were shot?:wink:

Iron Glove
10-09-2020, 02:01 PM

This will be the first Thanksgiving Weekend in @ 10 years that we won't be up at the Tulameen cabin fighting the hordes. :lol:
Was really hoping to take the Grand Girl out Grouse hunting but COVID has nixed that. :-(
On the other hand, will head up Weds. and spend a few days in the hills with the Son.

MichelD
10-12-2020, 03:10 PM
So? How did things work out for Lodestone lake area hunters?

Petros65
10-19-2020, 12:17 PM
Spent the last 3 weekends up that area ---- traffic anyone (at times it was like the highway ---- and everyone is grumpy, cause you know its their spot not yours) , yup if you looking for hunting pressure it's the ideal spot. The animals have become nocturnal.

Iron Glove
10-19-2020, 12:40 PM
So? How did things work out for Lodestone lake area hunters?

Son got a nice buck on Friday in that area.
He's got one the last 3 years, same place, pretty well same date, same everything.
He managed over the years to track a small herd that seems to stay in the area and circles around, the latest one was maybe 200 yards from where he figured it would be.

mikeman20
10-19-2020, 07:28 PM
It's a great area with lots of deer, but everyone is right it's downright crowded there.

Try getting into places vehicles can't access. I haven't been there for a few years but North of otter Lake there was a big burn a few years back. Might be worth checking out now if it's grown up a bit

xfactor
10-20-2020, 06:44 AM
any info on moose in the area? We have LEH for 805 for any moose. I typically hunt up north but agreed to put in for the area with an older friend, a new hunter and my son, primarily due to ability how little time can be taken off school and work. any suggestions would be appreciated...PM if you prefer.

thanks in advance!

Stillhunting
10-20-2020, 08:09 AM
Saw a big bull on the Tulameen Fsr in the Summer between 7 and 9 km.