PDA

View Full Version : Successful Shared Hunt

308BAR
10-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Left for a shared hunt for our moose and deer with my dad and his friends on the 14th and planned to stay in our area for the week. Here it goes:

Mon. Day 1

I spent the day hiking and calling in an area we has seen nice Bull Moose. Nothing turned up but we bag 6 spruces and saw a big girl who posed for a photo. Our group spent time hunting different areas all brought back to camp a good number of grouse.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/mli35/Hunting/P1020297.jpg

Tues. Day 2

The early morning was spent glassing some really large areas for moose and deer nothing turned up. So as we getting out of a cut to move to the next I suddenly see something I didn’t notice before, glassed it more closely and it was two moose a calf and mom. We also saw 4 mulie does in the same area.

At 10am I cut my tag on my very first moose 3 shot taking out the lungs and heart to get and the 4th to finish the job once the animal was on the ground. I was in complete shock and awe when I was standing by our moose. 50 yrd to the closest road we were able to pull it out and into our trailer with some rope. We couldn’t be more happy as a group, we finally have something for our freezer. Even though it was a spike fork moose I couldn’t believe how big this swamp donkeys are.

The evening was topped off with two of our group members taking two mulies a spike and a small 2 pt. Great day!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/mli35/Hunting/P1020302.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/mli35/Hunting/P1020306.jpg

308BAR
10-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Wed. Day 3

Spent the day hunting with my dad’s friend we were working a few cuts. I come upon a cut and spotted a moose at 500 yrds, we got within 400 yrds when I notice another moose about 100 yards away from the first moose grazing. I notice that the first moose was a bull but something wasn’t quite right and I wanted to call it in. We got closer to within 300 yrds at this time the bull had already seen us and starting to move away and I started to call and my hunting partner got into position to shoot. I confirm the first was a bull and the second was a cow. At 250 yrd my partner took a shot with a 7mm mag, he shoots high spooks it and it starts moving towards the tree line 30 yrds more at 280 yrd 2 shot missed. 3rd shot at least 300 yrd broadside. Wham! A hit I see the moose buckle a little bit, but it runs into the thick woods at the top of the cut. We give it 15 mins I throw on my pack, gear and gps. We go into the woods to track the bull, we find blood it turns out to be a great blood trail. To make a long story short we tracked the bull for over 2 hours through some thick crap and according to the GPS we had hiked for 1.8 km through the trees fall, swaps, and brush before finishing the job. We bumped the bull once but were unable to follow-up with a shot through the thickets. We tracked the bull and finally were able to finish it off with a two shots one to the boiler room and one to the neck, it couldn’t been a more prettier setting beside a lake. Apparently his last shot was low at that distance because of the bullet drop and hit the bull in the right front knee severing tendons and a good artery.
This moose was way bigger then our first again and the thing that wasn’t quite right with this bull was it only had its right side antler the other side was broken off in some fight any how we were ecstatic. I was the youngest and fittest one so I had the dubious task of packing the heaviest part out 380m yards up hill back to the truck.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/mli35/Hunting/tracking.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/mli35/Hunting/P1020314.jpg

We had planned to stay till the Saturday to fill our deer tags but another hunter had notice and warned us about two grizzlies circling our camp because of our previous day’s success. So we decided to break camp and head home.

A big THANKS to the hunter if you’re on this site for his kind warning and heads up.

Thunderstix
10-21-2007, 05:46 AM
That was a very detailed hunting report complete with maps and the whole shebang. You guys really stuck with it when lookng for that moose. Very successful hunt for sure.
PS. Sounds like some long range shooting practice is maybe in order as well.

tufferthandug
10-21-2007, 05:47 AM
Congratulations on the trip.

Many a time I've been warned by other hunters of "Grizzlies" in the area, especially in Chetwynd. Take these warnings with a grain of salt. Most of the time these "Grizzly" areas are someones honey hole...

Steeleco
10-21-2007, 07:09 AM
There's 4 smiling happy hunters, well done.

boxhitch
10-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Good hunting ! Nice report and cool map, too. Is that from some gps software ?

Bow Walker
10-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Well done lads. Plenty of good eating there.

308BAR
10-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Good hunting ! Nice report and cool map, too. Is that from some gps software ?

Yes, its the garmin topo canada software the magenta line is the track/route we took through the woods down to the lake.

308BAR
10-21-2007, 09:50 AM
Congratulations on the trip.

Many a time I've been warned by other hunters of "Grizzlies" in the area, especially in Chetwynd. Take these warnings with a grain of salt. Most of the time these "Grizzly" areas are someones honey hole...

We were camped in a area that was newer slash on a side of a main FSR, and I had scouted the area around the camp and there were not many signs of game. At any rate we rather err on the safe side plus we were running out of room in our vehicles to pack the game out. At any rate i think we've found a new honey hole. :wink::biggrin:

Will
10-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Congrats.....seems to be a few Moose kicking around for those that look for them;-)
Well done:cool:

pmj
10-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Congrats 308BAR, Nice meat for the winter. That map looks familiar...... I think I have seen a map like that at my place of work. It was for horse trails;).

kazul
10-21-2007, 03:37 PM
1st Moose 4 shots to kill it:eek:
2nd Moose 5 shots to kill it:shock:
Uncounted misses.

It sounds like some range time might be something to think about.

mrdoog
10-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Now that's one group of happy guys!
Enjoy your moose.

BCJunior
10-21-2007, 07:03 PM
4 happy campers :) congratz on the bull!

Sharkey
10-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Looks like a fine trip for sure! Those immy's are nice and tender too - just enough for the freezer! Great job and love the photos.
~D

308BAR
10-21-2007, 11:16 PM
1st Moose 4 shots to kill it
2nd Moose 5 shots to kill it
Uncounted misses.

It sounds like some range time might be something to think about.

Yup my dads friend does need to learn a few things about groupings and shooting. As for my rifle I was using cheap Win. factory stuff that had grouped well, I haven't got a good TSX load worked up yet for my rifle and my 9.3x62:biggrin::wink:.:grin:

Mik
10-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Congrats on the kills.

HighCountry
10-23-2007, 12:02 AM
Congratulation to your group that's a nice looking moose.