PDA

View Full Version : Hunting season over

irishbandit1
10-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Well the title says it all.I was in Valemont for ten days on a leh moose hunting trip and saw not even one moose.We saw numerous whitetail deer but no shooters,one massive grizzly bear,mountain goats,I'm pretty sure a milliom grouse and seven black bear of which one I will be turning into pepperoni.Now comes the reason for the end of my season.Monday evening on the way back to camp as the passenger I fell asleep,unfortunately so did the driver.When I woke up I was in a truck that was crushed at the bottom of a cliff in three feet of water.My hunting partner managed to crawl through a broken window and pry a door open to get me out,lucky for me as I was told Iwas in three feet of water.My partner managed to get me to the shore and get a fire started as well as keep me awake as I was suffering from a concussion ,exposure,vomitting and mutiple other injuries.Cell service in this area is limited to Valemont city limits only,so this is where I tell you someone decided it wasn't my time to go.Thirty eight k along the east side of the lake and down a cliff my friend reached 911 long enough to give them our approxiamate location.Afterwards we were told there was no way we should have had service.For three hours my friend kept me awake and the fire going untill they found us.V alemont paramedics and volenteer search and rescue found us and packed us out on spineboards.Wiithout my friends efforts I've been assured tha it would have taken them much longer to find us and I would of quite possibly died of my symptoms.Oxygen,I.V.'s,neckbraces and exrays in Valemont sent me on the next leg of my ordeal.McBride emt's were called to transfer me to Clearwater where the crew from there took me through Barriere to Kamloops General.Once in Kamloops multiple x-rays,cat scans and blood work determined no fractures,after 12 hours on a spine board with my head taped down in a neckbrace I was finally put in a bed.Concusion,seperated shoulder,contusions,exposure,bruised internal organs,broken dental work,extensive muscle damage,screwed up ear drum,back and neck damage,thousands in gear loss,future exrays and rehab.Being able to see my wife,daughter,mom,grandson and the rest of my family and friends because of everybodies efforts that were invoved:PRICELESS!A big thanks to my friend Jim for his levelheaded thinking during this stressful time,it saved my life,your the best!Also I would like to thank all the volunteers and medical staff for there efforts and last but not least God for the cell service when we needed it most.We were driving a two month old Ford 4x4 the airbags did not deploy,as the whole truck was a write off I believe Ford will have some explaining to do.Anyways be carefull out there enjoy your season and I hope to be healed and in the field next year,all the best 'BANDIT.

Garret
10-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Wow!!! is all I can say but hope you have a good recovery.. God was watching over you boys I think could of been alot worse.

cowboy-up69
10-20-2007, 07:13 PM
That is crazy! Im sorry to hear that. Hope you have a GREAT recovery and get all geared up for next season!!!

boonerbuck
10-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Wow, your thread title should be lucky to be alive not "Hunting season is over". You guys should be happy to live to see your family and friends, screw hunting season.

Glad you guys are somewhat OK considering.

Driving tired is dangerous folks!

Brambles
10-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident, glad to hear your going to be alright. Hang tough

Brambles

dana
10-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Wow, I know that chunk of road quite well. You are really lucky you both are alive. God certainly was lookin out for you. Wish you well and hope for a speedy recovery.

mark
10-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Man that sucks, and sometimes I think I had a bad day. :redface:

Krico
10-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Scary way to wake up:shock:. Stories like that, plus the need to watch for animals, is why I prefer the no sleeping in the passenger seat rule-talking helps keep the driver awake, and the extra set of eyes is on "moose watch."
You are lucky to be alive...

Wildfoot
10-20-2007, 08:17 PM
holy crap! I'm glad you are all right! km 38 gets pretty nasty on the east side! I will pass on your thanks to the paramedics & SAR. Wow! Hopefully this will help get more cell service along that stretch of road!

Next time i give you directions to a hunting spot .. i will send you somewhere that has no cliffs!!!

I will send ya a copy of the local paper if you want.. i assume this will make front page up there lol.

Caveman
10-20-2007, 08:23 PM
God Damn!!! At least your luck wasn't all bad, or we may not be reading this. Hoping for a speedy recovery. You'll be out there next year I'm sure.

Marc
10-20-2007, 08:31 PM
It's amazing how much the heat from a truck sucks the energy out of you after spending a long day in the cold hunting. You're lucky to be alive and yes you have a good friend there, he did what hopefully any other hunting partner would have done for anyone of us. Another reason for hunting with a partner.

irishbandit1
10-20-2007, 09:10 PM
As a side note to my story I would also like to thank Mark,on the second day home from the hospital my H.B.C. stickers arrived putting a smile on my face reminding me of all the great people in the hunting community.I also want to thank all the site members for their great stories as this will be the only way I'll get to enjoy the hunt this year,Cheers,'Bandit.

blaker_99
10-20-2007, 09:17 PM
My thoughts are with you, your frien and all your family.

I wish you both a speedy recovery and to be back on track before you knowit.

Cheers.

Sharkey
10-20-2007, 09:24 PM
My best wishes to you and your hunting partner. Keep coming here - you have lots of friends that will help keep your spirits up during your recovery.
~D

Gnarly
10-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery, Bravo Zulu to your partner and the folks who worked so hard to get you to medical help.

Derek_Erickson
10-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Guys are dropping like flys around here, good your ok

kennyg826
10-20-2007, 09:51 PM
I guess not seeing a moose is the least of my problems. I truly and sincerly do wish you both a speedy and full recovery. God Bless you and all who were involved.

porcupine
10-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Glad to hear that you survived. There, but for the grace of God, go many of us.

Bow Walker
10-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Fallen asleep myself a time or two - it's all to easy to do. Glad for you and your buddy - (he's a keeper alright!).:wink:

Islandeer
10-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Wasn't your time,your partner decided that. glad you are still here, and godspeed.

Freshtracks
10-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Wow ... sure glad you guys made it out ok. Yes, I too know that feeling that your time wasn't ment. Someone has big critters for you to still chase.;) Sending wishes for a speedy recovery.

twoSevenO
10-20-2007, 11:29 PM
big kudos to everyone who helped out, and your buddy most of all.
Wish you a successful recovery and a much safer hunt next time.

Cheers

hannibal
10-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Damn! There goes all your luck for the rest of the year, or your just really dang tough/stubborn

Will
10-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Wow...not the ending to a trip anyone would want:-(

Glad to hear your both "okay" Best wishes.

endtimerwithabow
10-21-2007, 11:51 AM
I work for/with Jim and hes a standup give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. hope you heal up quick.

pmj
10-21-2007, 12:25 PM
irishbandit1,
Good to read your story. It makes me thankful for each trip I am able to return from safely and serves to remind me how easily a trip can go south. Wishing you a speedy recovery with Gods blessings.

exploitz
10-21-2007, 12:27 PM
I was hunting in that area last week as well and i came home and found out that in that same area you had your accident a girl i graduated with last year was killed in a car accident.She was asleep in the backseat and her freind fell asleep at the wheel and she was thrown out the window and died instantly. That is a rough stretch of road. Good to hear thats your okay now

Wildfoot
10-21-2007, 12:34 PM
I was hunting in that area last week as well and i came home and found out that in that same area you had your accident a girl i graduated with last year was killed in a car accident.She was asleep in the backseat and her freind fell asleep at the wheel and she was thrown out the window and died instantly. That is a rough stretch of road. Good to hear thats your okay now

when was that accident???

irishbandit1
10-21-2007, 01:13 PM
The accident happened Monday night.I have a meeting with I.C.B.C. tommorow at home,they say they will start by giving me wageloss and cover all medical expenses so I can pay the mortgage and get prescriptions as well as well as some rehab therapy when I'm well enough.I ended up in the hospital again last night,dizzy with blood appearing where it shouldn't have.Three and a half hours in emergency and only some blood work taken,I ended up leaving and was told that if something turned up they would call.Very unprofessional as I was not even examined,four other people that were obviously in need of treatment also left without aid.It didn't look busy but I could be wrong although there did seem to be a steady stream of drunk kids coming in and out.I'm hoping insurance also covers the loss of my gear and guns that were damaged,the adjuster seems pretty co-operative at this point hopefully I won't have to deal with lawyers at this point except to deal with Ford Canada over the air bags not deploying.Pretty sore and tired so thats all for now Thanks for all your words of encouragement,Cheers 'Bandit.

Tarp Man
10-21-2007, 01:20 PM
I just drove from Chase yesterday after a day of fishing, and that was hard enough to stay awake! I am glad to hear you are going to be o.k. (eventually). Best wishes to you on your recovery.

dunbartr
10-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Wow - Glad to hear everything turned ok in the end. Good luck in your speedy recover. All the best!

We have Ford company vehicles and one guy hit a logging truck last year and the airbags didn't deploy either.... They told us that apparently they need to be a heavy impact, head on in order to deploy, but the work truck damage sure looked like a head on to me!

exploitz
10-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by exploitz http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=197228#post197228)
when was that accident???

that accident was on the 12th

rollingrock
10-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Wow! That was unreal! Wish you a quick recovery. Pretty scary scenario and remineded me again when driving for long hours don't be afraid of stopping for a nap whenever feel tired/sleepy. Always take your time.

Mik
10-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Unbelievable. its amazing how quick an accident like this can happen. Glad to hear your are both ok. Wishing you a speedy recovery. God Bless.

blueboy
10-23-2007, 09:44 AM
i hope you recover soon,and i,am happy to here there is many more hunting trips for you in the future