PDA

View Full Version : Moose & deer hunting around Kamloops

Ltbullken
10-20-2007, 10:59 AM
I was out this week and came across a big bull with two cows. Do you think this is late rut? The bull got the heck out of Dodge! I saw but a glimpse but knew it was a big bull by the loud 'plonk, plonk' of his antlers hitting trees and branches as he hastily departed. After about 20 seconds, the noise stopped and he started grunting back. Very exciting. But alas, no LEH for mature bulls. The cows wouldn't sprout antler buds either.

Saw 3 mulie bucks yesterday just north of Kamloops. Two fork horns and a 4x4 buck but with small antlers, inside the ear distance. Not very impressive. Let them walk... Besides, still early in the season!

There is an alfalfa field just north of Kamloops that was loaded wth deer yestrday. Maybe 50 in all. I am pretty sure there were whitetail and mulie bucks intermingling in the field with the many does. The deer were about 200 M away and my binos were not great in the diminishing daylight. Thoughts?

Will
10-20-2007, 01:36 PM
There is an alfalfa field just north of Kamloops that was loaded wth deer yestrday. Maybe 50 in all. I am pretty sure there were whitetail and mulie bucks intermingling in the field with the many does. The deer were about 200 M away and my binos were not great in the diminishing daylight. Thoughts?
If you mean the fields off Westsyde Rd. ??? Then yes no shortage of deer there.....they seem to know they are quite safe. ;)
Usually a pretty decent Buck will accompany them in another week or two...then he disappears for another year.

I have seen a few Whitetails mixed in with Muleys there.....seems to be more and more of them too.

sooke hunter 30 06
10-20-2007, 05:13 PM
How much north of Kamloops were you? Just came back from an October hunt Deadman Creek/Hihuim Lake/Loon Lake area ......lots of deer there too!!!:lol:

Ran into a spike-fork moose up Scottie Creek FSR right on the road and not a care in the world.....problem.....no tag.....oh well, nice to see anyway!

4 point
10-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Haven't seen a single moose be it bull, cow or calf in 3-28,3-29 or 3-30 so far this hunting season. Can't figure out what's up. Usually see them in many of the spots I walk. I wonder if their numbers are down like up north are suppose to be. Snow only came to the higher reaches this week so maybe most are still way up on the plateau. Anyone have any ideas?

Derek_Erickson
10-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Seen a bull this afternoon in 3 feet of snow, He was just to big, Which hay fields are we speakin here? westyde road, they put deer fence up there, go look:icon_frow

Should go ask the guy is he cares about a bow:tongue:

Grandbois
10-21-2007, 12:31 AM
I havent seen any in in 3-28 or 3-29 either, seen a nice 2x2 moose from 3-19 in the back of a guys truck and a skinnd out hide minus the rack right by duffy lake, seen a cow and a calf in 3-20 the other day

Ltbullken
10-21-2007, 01:20 PM
If you mean the fields off Westsyde Rd. ??? Then yes no shortage of deer there.....they seem to know they are quite safe. ;)
Usually a pretty decent Buck will accompany them in another week or two...then he disappears for another year.

I have seen a few Whitetails mixed in with Muleys there.....seems to be more and more of them too.

Westsyde Rd exactly, just north of the Christmas tree farm.

horshur
10-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Westsyde Rd exactly, just north of the Christmas tree farm.

That's Tom Days place--wouldn't recommend messing with Tom's deer.

Will
10-21-2007, 02:46 PM
That's Tom Days place--wouldn't recommend messing with Tom's deer.
It's actually comical........loads of hunters come down out of Jamieson in Nov empty handed only to sit and stare at the couple dozen deer always in those fields.
Lots of little bucks mixed in with the does too.....

Several good sized Bucks put on a Great show for us in there last year8-)

Grandbois
10-22-2007, 12:08 PM
After reading this yesterday, i was driving down westsyde rd to go for a drive up jamieson/wentworth and saw the xmas tree farm, and i was like must be getting close to those fields, then there they were about 40 does with fawns, all muleys, i had a good laugh, as yeah it would be tormenting to see a nice buck in there after an unsuccesful hunt up jamieson

Derek_Erickson
10-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Theres lots of area up jameson just get out of the truck, you'd probably be surprised, only thing is, so many guys hunt there, and even if you have a honda civic you can hunt there

Will
10-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Theres lots of area up jameson just get out of the truck, you'd probably be surprised, only thing is, so many guys hunt there, and even if you have a honda civic you can hunt there
We seen a Nice buck hanging outta a Ford Festiva one day coming down from there.........:lol::lol:

Check out those Westsyde fields, late afternoon in two weeks....but don't get any funny ideas :wink:

Derek_Erickson
10-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Funny Ideas? Like what, waitin in the bush until they come out with my bow, Is that a funny idea? or driving my truck off the road to nail a big buck, hopefully not breakin the antlers

4 point
10-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Early in the any buck season yes it's fairly easy to get around on the roads. When the snow starts to fall and the roads turn ugly there are no more non 4 x4's going anywhere and mainly you also need a set of chains on. That's the snow conditions and time of year for the big 4's to be out and the hunter numbers are always away down by then.
Got to love November 1st until the end of the season.

Ltbullken
10-23-2007, 08:17 PM
We seen a Nice buck hanging outta a Ford Festiva one day coming down from there.........

Check out those Westsyde fields, late afternoon in two weeks....but don't get any funny ideas :wink:

Ford Festiva! Was the deer in the hatch or the passenger seat? lol!! I once got stuck up in the Jamieson area many years ago. I hitched a ride out with a father that was hunting with his 2 young sons in a Cadillac! :eek: lol!! The Cadillac was a little beat up - I wonder why - but thought, wow that's commitment. There were a couple of grouse on the floor in the back seat.

Can ya hear the banjos? Yee haw, Deliverance is a love story! (I probably insulted a few - my apologies, hick!) :lol: