PDA

View Full Version : If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

RyoTHC
09-18-2020, 02:02 PM
its because the vast majority of older hunters are complete pricks.

There, I said it.. now that is out of the way id love to try to figure out where these gentleman get their endless amounts of entitlement?

We are currently on a moose hunt in 5-15 we rented a cabin knowing the days would be long and hard..

We have scouted for a solid week put countless km on the boots over 1000km on the machines disecting our zone (prior to the hunt) the first 5 days were complete silence and solitude the the other hunters started rolling in, which was great or so I thought..

Every single one of these groups (7!) Besides ONE of them has been completely ignorant disrespectful and entitled.. multiple camps completely set up blocking roads into entire valleys or river corridors, when we finally run into other hunters afield they immediately start swearing at us telling us this is "their" area

Hell one area we spent hours cutting into and scouting, left for the mid afternoon and when we went back for the evening their were four guys in the spot telling us to GTFO and they didn't do the hard work for us to come shoot their moose...

Let's not mention the amount of lying these hubters do, my God is it impossible to be honest and have a conversation with a fellow hunter? Don't tell me you haven't seen anything when I witnessed you glassing a moose that morning..

Until now I've hunted remotely in GOS areas and haven't had to interact with many hunters, but if this small sample is what they are like in the busy hubting areas then no wonder this sport is dying!

The best part is these aggressive loud mouth hunters are often old and obese yet have the gall to agress towards someone half their age and bigger than them... how someone hasn't slapped them across the head before is beyond me.

It seems that the majority of decent hunters are online and willing to share their knowledge the rest are just redneck idiots

End rant

weatherby_man
09-18-2020, 02:07 PM
Completely get that and have experienced same......its sad.

RyoTHC
09-18-2020, 02:26 PM
Completely get that and have experienced same......its sad.

I think more frustrating than their attitude is their lack of respect we scouted pretty much every passable area pre season and saw next to no trash, now that these camps have moved in there's empty beer bottles beer cans, energy drinks chip bags pepperoni rappers and all the other traditional redneck trash which I can guarantee you these idiots are throwing all over the place.. not to mention more often than not these people have had open containers of alcohol in their vehicles whether its an off road machine or otherwise.

May just be time to give the local CO a heads up.

caddisguy
09-18-2020, 02:48 PM
It's a mixed bag for sure. Same thing with most outdoor activities. There are selfish/greedy/greasy campers, anglers, hunters, drivers, shoppers, you name it... any group of people there are always bad apples. Think of some of the spots around Chilliwack River during salmon runs. People cutting right in front of others casting, fist fights and people getting shoved into the water. Heck, just think of random drivers you encountered on the highway on your way there... no shortage of A holes on the planet.

Some will steal, some will sabotage, be rude or, act recklessly or whatever.

Usually comes down to greed, selfishness, entitlement, lack of morals, ethics and integrity.

I do understand people lying about what they have seen. It seems like a harmless question to ask if someone has seen something but if it is an animal they are interested in pursuing, it is actually a very awkward position to be in.

Options are:

1) Tell truth and potentially have that person decide to focus on the animal you are after
2) Say that you would "prefer not to say" which is pretty much the same as #1 or
3) Lie or or deflect ("Nope. Nothing", "Saw a few grouse this mornin")

I always used to greet hunters with that friendly question of "Seen anything?" (not because I care about going after what they but rather just to make conversation like most do and give them a chance to talk about their excitement) but then realised that can actually be an uncomfortable / threatening question. Now I just ask how their day is going. If they saw anything and want to talk about that, then they will... or they can just talk about anything they want... but as you mentioned, there are some really greasy people out there who will boldly hunt within 50 yards or you or go after the animal you tell them about should you decide to tell them you saw something. It's nothing personal, just A holes that ruin it for everybody to the point you have to assume there is a possibility you are talking to an A hole... and we all have to accept that others can not confirm whether or not they are talking to an A hole when they are talking to us... who knows, maybe I am one :)

wos
09-18-2020, 02:53 PM
I have only really experienced hunters with a bad attitude once that I can recall. It was in a heavily hunted area and the camp that set up just down from us was getting really frustrated as our meat pole was starting to fill up as there wisky bottles were being drained. They started accusing us of all sorts of things but it was an easy spot to hunt if you got up in the morning and walked.

Keta1969
09-18-2020, 02:53 PM
In my experience assh**** come in all ages. Not sure how many authorizations but a successful shared hunt can bring more than just those who were in the draw. Have hunted 5-02 at this time of year and it can be a gong show. Here's what we do. We don't use quads game hate those things and the more roaring around the more game hides. It can sound like Mad Max somedays.You don't have to get to far off the road to start seeing moose. Look for meadows or wet areas away from the road and don't build trails as it just alerts other hunters to have a look. You're there early for this hunt we've always got our moose in the last 3 days. It's going to be busy(probably more to come) so just try separating yourself from the herd. One other thing is that any bull we took was always with a cow and calf. I know one year of 4 bulls all taken in the same vicinity of 1 cow and calf over 3 days. Hang in there and good luck.

caddisguy
09-18-2020, 03:06 PM
In my experience assh**** come in all ages.

This is also very true.

JIL_24/7
09-18-2020, 03:07 PM
Same experience with weed and open containers and garbage last year when I was in 5-15, but these were young dudes. Either way, gives the whole trip a bad taste.

Surrey Boy
09-18-2020, 03:14 PM
I see it too. It's not just hunters.

Just look at a few disgracefully aging HBCers to find an elitist mentality that will end hunting here just like in England.

steel_ram
09-18-2020, 03:20 PM
Trash and pollution not uncommon 40 years ago. How many times did I come across oil change sites, last years freezer burned meat dumped. More people more garbage now I guess.

Sako81
09-18-2020, 03:22 PM
Yeah I have to agree with bad attitude encounters. We had a situation years ago where we were driving on a semi main FSR road to get to an area from where we normally hike in from. It was completely dark (early morning) and a couple hunters were blocking the road with their vehicle. I'm assuming they were most likely waiting for light to break so they could start their road hunt or going for a pit lamp hunt and we busted them lol. We tried to stop and chat but they wouldn't even put their window down, so eventually we waved and proceeded to pass them. They started their vehicle up and tried to box us in and suddenly became confrontational. Long story short, they felt they had the right to block the road which still continued for another 15 kms with several branch roads which went into other valleys. We would have gladly given them the space if they were willing to travel down the road or agree to go a different way if they were hunting a particular area and would have just talked to us. Except they didn't want to talk, move or let us pass. I'm all about respecting and giving space when someone is sitting at a spot but this was not that. Eventually we exchanged some words and ended up passing them. I can see this ruining a hunt or the day for a hunter.

Bustercluck
09-18-2020, 03:28 PM
I haven’t experienced this kind of thing very much. But I hunt in spots where nobody else does because apparently there’s no moose there

VLD43
09-18-2020, 04:24 PM
There will always be slobs out there. have experienced this a number of times before. You get to an area before any one else and start in or are sitting waiting for first light. All of a sudden guys show up and drive right by you without hesitation. No excuse for this other than a poor up bringing. Unfortunately etiquette is non existent in some and quickly disappearing with others. It seems to be more prevalent with road hunters but can also occur in any area with high hunter activity. Sad really. To the lazy and the entitled there are no rules either of engagement or fairness. It's all about them.

Hunter gatherer
09-18-2020, 05:06 PM
The reason these jerks are jerks is because they couldn't hunt their way out of a wet paper bag.

Surrey Boy
09-18-2020, 05:26 PM
Trash and pollution not uncommon 40 years ago. How many times did I come across oil change sites, last years freezer burned meat dumped. More people more garbage now I guess.

Very valid point.

Perhaps people haven't changed as much as social expectations have changed.

Political correctness was not so serious fifty years ago, and freedom of conscience was more allowed.

chilko
09-18-2020, 05:52 PM
My favorite is that every hunter i have ever met mentions they just saw a grizzly up ahead .i suppose that is suppossed to make me leave the area.. i was born at night......but not last night

2tins
09-18-2020, 06:02 PM
Interesting, I would say that the vast majority of fellow hunters that I've ever run into have been like minded guys and gals that are friendly and helpful. I personally have only had one incident over the years where I wanted to beat the shit of a guy. We've had guys that we have never met before let us hang elk in their refer unit because it was warm out. We've been invited to other camps for dinner and drinks. I hope your luck turns around because one of my favorite things about hunting is the folks we meet. Good luck, stay safe, have fun.

Gateholio
09-18-2020, 06:19 PM
You can't control other people, only how you react to others.

You don't have to talk to people you don't want to.

nwalter
09-18-2020, 06:24 PM

The reason these jerks are jerks is because they couldn't hunt their way out of a wet paper bag.
I can barely hunt my way out of a wet paper bag, but I would never disrespect someone else.
I think the issues arise with generalizations of different generations and then they approach that type differently.
I have yet to come across someone’s camp blocking an entire road but I have been very disappointed coming across shit left by useless individuals. Ie 2 vehicles abandoned up postill lake road

bruce44
09-18-2020, 06:28 PM
My dad isn’t a hunter. I don’t have many hunter friends. But all of my hunter friends won’t let me come along because they don’t want to show me their honey holes. Really most hunters are selfish and that’s understandable.

6 years of hunting and I have only shot 1 moose. I’ve had to teach myself through here and lots of googling. I haven’t ran into pricks yet. But I’ve heard stories of old guys that think they own an area just because they’ve been hunting there for years. That’s when Id fire a couple shots into a stump to scare everything off.

bruce44
09-18-2020, 06:33 PM
Not really. I’m not a good hunter yet but I share my spots with people and give them all the types I know

hawk-i
09-18-2020, 06:35 PM
its because the vast majority of older hunters are complete pricks.

There, I said it.. now that is out of the way id love to try to figure out where these gentleman get their endless amounts of entitlement?

We are currently on a moose hunt in 5-15 we rented a cabin knowing the days would be long and hard..

We have scouted for a solid week put countless km on the boots over 1000km on the machines disecting our zone (prior to the hunt) the first 5 days were complete silence and solitude the the other hunters started rolling in, which was great or so I thought..

Every single one of these groups (7!) Besides ONE of them has been completely ignorant disrespectful and entitled.. multiple camps completely set up blocking roads into entire valleys or river corridors, when we finally run into other hunters afield they immediately start swearing at us telling us this is "their" area

Hell one area we spent hours cutting into and scouting, left for the mid afternoon and when we went back for the evening their were four guys in the spot telling us to GTFO and they didn't do the hard work for us to come shoot their moose...

Let's not mention the amount of lying these hubters do, my God is it impossible to be honest and have a conversation with a fellow hunter? Don't tell me you haven't seen anything when I witnessed you glassing a moose that morning..

Until now I've hunted remotely in GOS areas and haven't had to interact with many hunters, but if this small sample is what they are like in the busy hubting areas then no wonder this sport is dying!

The best part is these aggressive loud mouth hunters are often old and obese yet have the gall to agress towards someone half their age and bigger than them... how someone hasn't slapped them across the head before is beyond me.

It seems that the majority of decent hunters are online and willing to share their knowledge the rest are just redneck idiots

End rant

Agree 100%...blocking roads and trails...setting up camp on a fricken road and blocking it. I just drive my Side by side right through their camps and if I have too I'll run over what ever the phuck is in the way...bunch of entitled pricks is right!!

bruce44
09-18-2020, 06:43 PM
I was walking down a quad trail to a clear cut one time with 2 friends. Then out of nowhere this guy and his wife on an atv goes past us and sat at the clear cut we were going to. This trail was a dead end so he knew where we were going. It was right then and there that we started doing some target shooting on a nearby stump.

Some people’s kids I tell you.

goatdancer
09-18-2020, 06:53 PM
I was walking down a quad trail to a clear cut one time with 2 friends. Then out of nowhere this guy and his wife on an atv goes past us and sat at the clear cut we were going to. This trail was a dead end so he knew where we were going. It was right then and there that we started doing some target shooting on a nearby stump.

Some people’s kids I tell you.

Now you're starting to become one of "them".

bruce44
09-18-2020, 06:56 PM
Well when we’ve been hiking quietly for an hour to our spot and someone almost runs is over in their atv on a narrow trail, said person doesn’t deserve respect. It’s no different from me sitting in front of you so you can’t shoot and just sitting there waiting for game.

most respectful hunters would see people already going down the trail and either back out or move somewhere else.

swampthing
09-18-2020, 06:57 PM
That crappy about some of your guys experiences! For the most part I have ran into some pretty cool people. There is one popular area I hunt/camp at and there is always other camps within walking distance. Most guys share their plans with each other so we dont run into each other. I really enjoy others fires and stories. Lets raise our kids correctly and keep enjoying our heritage!

horshur
09-18-2020, 07:03 PM
Wow you guys have it hard!!Must be hard. Sounds like you best buy beef and avoid the crowds. Don't forget your mask. Lol

358mag
09-18-2020, 07:04 PM
Ladies + Gentleman . This is the new world of self entitlement , best get use to it .

Retiredguy
09-18-2020, 07:37 PM
Wow....I have had a few run ins with jerks in the 55 years I have been hunting, but nothing like what the OP describes. In most instances I have found the majority of hunters are fine and I have gone out of my way to help many over the years because they were ill prepared with knowledge, equipment or both. In recent years I have found the "me" attitude is rearing its ugly head in just about all human activities and it really is annoying. If the use of weed and booze, the blocking of public access, etc is as bad as the OP says in that game unit I think the OP should call the CO's. WE all get branded by the same brush with non-hunters and if it is that bad there a tune-up would be the best way to benefit all of us in the long run. I have no sympathy for slob hunters.

Keta1969
09-18-2020, 08:22 PM
Well when we’ve been hiking quietly for an hour to our spot and someone almost runs is over in their atv on a narrow trail, said person doesn’t deserve respect. It’s no different from me sitting in front of you so you can’t shoot and just sitting there waiting for game.

most respectful hunters would see people already going down the trail and either back out or move somewhere else.
While there is no doubt that the guy was a dick. It's also not "your spot" unless it's on private land and then you can tell them to FO. Like I said the guy was a dick no doubt but lots of problems and arguments arise when guys think a piece of crown land is theirs. I always have a back up and move on.

tyreguy
09-18-2020, 08:33 PM
I always go with the theory that one day you may need some help in the bush.
Goes for both sides, but try to not burn a bridge because you never know when you’re going to need it.

HikerHunter
09-18-2020, 08:35 PM
This is why i stick to small game and birds.

bruce44
09-18-2020, 08:56 PM
While there is no doubt that the guy was a dick. It's also not "your spot" unless it's on private land and then you can tell them to FO. Like I said the guy was a dick no doubt but lots of problems and arguments arise when guys think a piece of crown land is theirs. I always have a back up and move on.oh yeah us too. If he was there first we would have gladly backed out. But we were there first and on foot. 15 mins atv ride for him was an hour walk back up for us.

Vortex hunter
09-18-2020, 09:40 PM
Same experience with weed and open containers and garbage last year when I was in 5-15, but these were young dudes. Either way, gives the whole trip a bad taste.

whats wrong with WEED its legal No different then booze ? do you drink ? if so whats the issue if there being respectful about it..

bruce44
09-18-2020, 09:47 PM
Here’s how I’ve always seen hunting. It’s like a career in life. You can be lucky and be born in a family that hunts. You can befriend someone who hunts. Finally, you have to do it all by yourself.

1. Most born in a family with hunters are usually spoiled hunting wise. They get the best hunting spots from generations of research. They usually get their first kill before they turn 16. They are basically set for life when it comes to hunting success.

2. Most who befriend hunters will learn from them and gain success as a hunter as well. These guys usually return the favour and teach other new hunters. These guys are usually easy to get along with.

3. Then there are those who have to lear by themselves. These guys usually have to learn from scratch starting from adulthood. They usually don’t get a kill on their first year and will look for anyone to help them.

What I’ve usually encountered is people from group 1 try to squander all the success to themselves. They try to keep it all in the family. Group 3 asks for help, they usually give out the usual answers “in the woods”, “read up online what to look for” and many will even try to sabotage you.

I was in group 3 until recently. I met someone from group 1 who was humble and doesn’t hoard all the secrets to success.

My point is, hunting isn’t a family business. You don’t own the land, you have no right to hoard it or the animals. I don’t care how many generations were spent gathering information. We have no choice but to share it. Stop being dinks to each other. One day there aren’t going to be very many hunters and then you can say goodbye to hunting publicly. It will leave only the rich with lots of private land, as hunters.

bruce44
09-18-2020, 09:52 PM
whats wrong with WEED its legal No different then booze ? do you drink ? if so whats the issue if there being respectful about it..
You shouldn’t be hunting high or drunk. I think that’s what they meant.

wos
09-18-2020, 10:04 PM
So in reading all this (and I got sucked into some of the negativity) what about people's good experiences with fellow outdoorsman. I can say I shot my first buck on some random guys info that I met in the woods. I was 16 years old and the best hunting advice I had, came from field and stream, bc outdoors and outdoor life. After a 10 minute chat with some random guy in the woods I was standing there with a dead buck on the ground. I followed his advice and everything was like gold. Perhaps it was luck but I have always tried to pay it forward.

Vortex hunter
09-18-2020, 10:07 PM
You shouldn’t be hunting high or drunk. I think that’s what they meant.

Yes I strongly agree booze or weed don't need to be used while hunting nor even driving city streets but some folks do. And even the people who complain about a hunting camp drinking I wouldn't be surprised if some of them folk pound a few beers or wine and get behind a wheel..

Firstblood
09-18-2020, 10:12 PM
This thread is full of entitlement on both sides and I laugh at all of you. Its all public land, if its private deal with it as so legally. If its public suck it up, people suck plain and simple its 2020.....but if youre hunting a road thats just part of the game. I have moved on from hunting FSRs around fruit loops because some "hunter" on a sxs with an aftermarket rattle blaster can will rip past you and thats just part of the game. Hike off the roads, get away from the crowds, you will find game, and peace and quiet but it takes effort, thats the way it should be. Blocking roads, D bag move, Drinkin a case and dropping trash on the road, D bag move, Rippin past people walking a road D bag move, Guess what.....theres a Metric F ton of D bags out there, choose to be better than them and you will succeed. Ive had guys fly past me on SXS and quads and seen big bucks not 2 minutes later so quit yer bitchen......

RyoTHC
09-18-2020, 10:17 PM
This thread is full of entitlement on both sides and I laugh at all of you. Its all public land, if its private deal with it as so legally. If its public suck it up, people suck plain and simple its 2020.....but if youre hunting a road thats just part of the game. I have moved on from hunting FSRs around fruit loops because some "hunter" on a sxs with an aftermarket rattle blaster can will rip past you and thats just part of the game. Hike off the roads, get away from the crowds, you will find game, and peace and quiet but it takes effort, thats the way it should be. Blocking roads, D bag move, Drinkin a case and dropping trash on the road, D bag move, Rippin past people walking a road D bag move, Guess what.....theres a Metric F ton of D bags out there, choose to be better than them and you will succeed. Ive had guys fly past me on SXS and quads and seen big bucks not 2 minutes later so quit yer bitchen......

Lol, like I said some people are just pricks

MichelD
09-18-2020, 10:23 PM
I was hiking up an old logging road opening morning last week in the dark and two guys in a side by side and a third on a quad ripped by me.

I knew that I was on a road of course but I was still hoping they didn't know about the short dead-end road I like to hunt opening morning.

I have another little dead end road I go up there though, that is obscured by thick alders so I went there for a while and then up to "my" spot. Sure enough, one of the buddies was there. He doesn't know how good that spot usually is opening morning. If I go back next year I'll be there when they get there if I have to sleep there.

But it's on a road, I don't expect otherwise.

Nobody shot anything that day but shortly after those guys burned by me, as daybreak broke I saw a doe down in the first cutblock I came to.

KBC
09-18-2020, 10:44 PM
To answer the thread title, it’s because there’s no one to take them and teach them.

To expand on that a bit, here’s some observations from someone who stated in his 30s;
Its really tough to get into. For an outsider just getting a gun license is a big step. The hunting license is another big step. Then where do you go? How do you do it?

There is such a learning curve, it can beat you down pretty quick if you don’t have someone to teach you. Fortunately I’m dumb enough to keep going so I’ve kept at it. I’ve been at it about 7 years now and last season I finally shot my first deer. Along with a couple close calls with elk, it’s taken that long, almost all of it solo to get to this season where I feel I have a half decent idea of what to do.

I don’t know what’s harder, figuring out how to hunt on your own or finding someone who knows how to hunt to teach you.

Personally I want to have a bit more success so I know I’m ok at it and then I’ll start reserving one trip per year for taking someone new. Honestly if I would have had someone to teach me at the beginning what I know even just now, I would be at least a couple years ahead.

If you want hunting to end, just don’t teach anyone how to hunt.

bruce44
09-18-2020, 11:41 PM
Exactly KBC! I’m glad I’m not the only one. I started hunting back in 2014 and have only shot 1 moose. I’m glad I’m not the only one learning by myself.

new hunters are just like our kids. You can either teach them to be respectful or you can teach them to be pricks. It’s up to the experienced hunters to stop the dbaggery. Telling people to just suck it up will do nothing to improve the experience.

once I get good enough, I’m going to bring my wife along.

303savage
09-19-2020, 04:40 AM
vast majority of older hunters are complete pricks. Age has nothing to do with being a prick, they come in all ages.

vladthepes
09-19-2020, 06:14 AM
...kids do not go into hunting anymore because our country is going far left and tree hugger ecolo-communists teachers brainwash them to be sandal-wearing bleeding-heart vegetarians afraid of their own shadow. Then, we bring millions of foreigners who settle down in the city for which hunting is not in their culture. You will have your wish. Us, the red neck founders of this country will slowly disappear all hunting will stop. Excepted for the elite in the politburo!

quadrakid
09-19-2020, 07:05 AM
5 pages and no one has mentioned all these idiots are from Vancouver Island and the LML!;)

On a side note. I solo hunted for elk in the Sparwood area many years ago and bumped into the local hunters daily. A great bunch of guys that dropped by my camp when i was not there and left some elk backstrap in my cooler. Most people are good.

Aaron600
09-19-2020, 07:37 AM
Last year a couple hunters on a sxs pointed out an area they just saw a buck. My wife got her first buck because of them. There are a lot of dicks in the bush but not everyone.

The year before out ATV broke down (holeshot didn't screw the oil filter on correctly) and a group of Bear hunters had no interest in helping us out but a big group of sxs off roaders towed us 24kms back to our vehicle with no questions asked, even offered us a beer. Tried to offer them some gas $$ but they said "just return the favor if you see someone broke down"

RyoTHC
09-19-2020, 07:53 AM
Well,

To update this thread I've spoke to the local CO and forwarded pictures of the offending camps with GPS locations, he assures me by the time we get back up there those camps will be taken down and they will have either moved to a rec site or vacated the area completely, and he's going to be looking for open containers and any other ticket offenses, he was disgusted when i told him what was going on and was elated I could provide pictures and GPS locations of the offending camps and their license plates... if it happens to be someone on HBC, maybe you will read this thread and give your God damn head a shake

bruce44
09-19-2020, 08:10 AM
...kids do not go into hunting anymore because our country is going far left and tree hugger ecolo-communists teachers brainwash them to be sandal-wearing bleeding-heart vegetarians afraid of their own shadow. Then, we bring millions of foreigners who settle down in the city for which hunting is not in their culture. You will have your wish. Us, the red neck founders of this country will slowly disappear all hunting will stop. Excepted for the elite in the politburo!
That’s not true and you know it. It’s not about being left or right. It’s about not understanding hunting. Instead of putting your political spin on things, educate people. I have a brother in law who is very left. He loves hunting and shooting. He used to hate guns because he was a doctor in the USA and has seen so many shot children.

Myself and my other brother in law showed him the difference between being a gun owner and a gun nut. We showed him how hunting moose and elk every year was more environmentally friendly than eating beef. Se also showed him how ungulates that aren’t shot don’t die peacefully. They get too old, too hungry, or too sick to run and they almost always get torn apart by predators.

Educate the ignorant to our ways instead of putting them down. Stop with this divisive mindset. I’m an immigrant and people that think like you is exactly why it’s so hard to get non Canadian born people into hunting. You act as if you have to be a conservative redneck to be a hunter.

Redthies
09-19-2020, 09:20 AM
I can barely hunt my way out of a wet paper bag, but I would never disrespect someone else.
I think the issues arise with generalizations of different generations and then they approach that type differently.
I have yet to come across someone’s camp blocking an entire road but I have been very disappointed coming across shit left by useless individuals.

My situation too. This is one reason I like turkey hunting. They’re “just” birds, so no egos involved really, and usually not too much competition.

You need to realize that a lot of humans really suck. I’m often embarrassed for other people and their “ethics”.

Redthies
09-19-2020, 09:22 AM
Well,

To update this thread I've spoke to the local CO and forwarded pictures of the offending camps with GPS locations, he assures me by the time we get back up there those camps will be taken down and they will have either moved to a rec site or vacated the area completely, and he's going to be looking for open containers and any other ticket offenses, he was disgusted when i told him what was going on and was elated I could provide pictures and GPS locations of the offending camps and their license plates... if it happens to be someone on HBC, maybe you will read this thread and give your God damn head a shake

Well played Ryo! I like your style!

We need to police our own to a certain extent. Imagine the media feeding frenzy if non-hunters encountered and were harassed by these groups? All hunters would be even bigger pariahs in the general populations eyes.

browningboy
09-19-2020, 09:43 AM
Lol! Have to be kidding me, been hunting for almost 30 years, guess what, there’s beer cans every year on the side of the road, there’s been people camped on roads, some smoked weed! I know there’s a lot of princesses on here that obey the law to the 10th but I can guarantee there’s a few on here that smoke weed and/or bring a 6 pack for the evening hunt.
Would be great if you pack it in pack it out, the box of your pick up can collect your empties if you choose to have a few but really for everyone’s safety just be responsible.
FYI I know after a long walk or hike I’ll have beer in a cooler and have one, sometimes even two but after that wait until camp!

greybark
09-19-2020, 09:56 AM
As an entry to the first post , and picking on older hunters . Look at society in general and its new norms now . When was the last time you while driving in a legal fashion felt threatened by a "young" driver in a car designed for a speed way . Presently try to fish the Vedder river and not get overwhelmed with the newer generation of do well equipped fishers who feel they own the river and have no problem with standing so close to you as intensive flinching with each of their casts . Am now 81 years old and after enjoyable early years of rifle hunting and the last 40 years of bowhunting (mostly with Longbow) , I have now quit hunting , not because because of physical limitations , but of the younger (not youth) hunters whose exuberance and enthusiasm when coupled with the new concept of hunting , a concept of extreme long range shooting and extensive baiting (farming without the fences) has to a large degree replaced bush skills . Before slamming the older hunters , consider this , having a younger hunter walking under your tree stand , look up and acknowledge and you and your longbow , crouch down , leans his rifle against some brush , takes out rattling antlers and begins his call in sequence . On another hunt , upon returning to my tree stand after lunch and archery practice having to encounter two older and one younger rifle hunters taking a smoke break under my stand . No problem with that and after some hunter talk they proceeded to leave I noticed my drop line to lower my bow was up to my stand . The younger hunter explained he wanted to see what it was like in a stand , I insisted he climb up and lower my drop line which he did but he had to untie the line from my arrow case containing wood arrows . On confronting him with his attempt at theft and feeble excuses , I realized the uncomfortable situation of confronting three armed indivuals with an unloaded longbow (lol) . One of the older hunters apologized and said they wouldn't bother me . This not to be construed as a rant but to point out that we must learn to adjust to the new norms (it took me awhile) but I did realizing we all have spirits and only by respecting those one can influence changes in attitude . So give the old timers a break and maybe they will pass on some of their hard learned lessons of "woodsmanship" . Cheers all and two years of missing being out there is helped by the converse on this site . Stay safe .

Would Rather Be Fishing
09-19-2020, 10:22 AM
Ok, I am just going to say it: 81 years and "still" active on a hunting forum (labelled "junior" member, nevertheless), and still physically able to fish and hunt (in a tree stand, at that).... I tip my hat to you, sir... I hope I will be the same at that age (still more than 30 years to go) - you have my respect!

Hope you change your mind and running into you out there!

As an entry to the first post , and picking on older hunters . Look at society in general and its new norms now . When was the last time you while driving in a legal fashion felt threatened by a "young" driver in a car designed for a speed way . Presently try to fish the Vedder river and not get overwhelmed with the newer generation of do well equipped fishers who feel they own the river and have no problem with standing so close to you as intensive flinching with each of their casts . Am now 81 years old and after enjoyable early years of rifle hunting and the last 40 years of bowhunting (mostly with Longbow) , I have now quit hunting , not because because of physical limitations , but of the younger (not youth) hunters whose exuberance and enthusiasm when coupled with the new concept of hunting , a concept of extreme long range shooting and extensive baiting (farming without the fences) has to a large degree replaced bush skills . Before slamming the older hunters , consider this , having a younger hunter walking under your tree stand , look up and acknowledge and you and your longbow , crouch down , leans his rifle against some brush , takes out rattling antlers and begins his call in sequence . On another hunt , upon returning to my tree stand after lunch and archery practice having to encounter two older and one younger rifle hunters taking a smoke break under my stand . No problem with that and after some hunter talk they proceeded to leave I noticed my drop line to lower my bow was up to my stand . The younger hunter explained he wanted to see what it was like in a stand , I insisted he climb up and lower my drop line which he did but he had to untie the line from my arrow case containing wood arrows . On confronting him with his attempt at theft and feeble excuses , I realized the uncomfortable situation of confronting three armed indivuals with an unloaded longbow (lol) . One of the older hunters apologized and said they wouldn't bother me . This not to be construed as a rant but to point out that we must learn to adjust to the new norms (it took me awhile) but I did realizing we all have spirits and only by respecting those one can influence changes in attitude . So give the old timers a break and maybe they will pass on some of their hard learned lessons of "woodsmanship" . Cheers all and two years of missing being out there is helped by the converse on this site . Stay safe .

Iron Glove
09-19-2020, 11:20 AM
I agree that the Left / Right, Old / Young doesn't matter, there are idiots and great folks in all sectors of politics and age out there hunting.
As hunters we have to get more of the younger folks out there or it'll simply die off.
I'm from a non hunting Family, started late in life but got our Son into hunting, then Son In Law and now Grandaughter.

MOOSE MILK
09-19-2020, 11:32 AM
I remember the days when a guy sees a car or truck parked by a road (not blocking it) he would carry on to the next spot. Even if I were dropped off and he didn't know someone was up this little spur but he spotted me then they would quietly turn around give a wave and head on to another spot. And I was taught by my father to do the same thing.
Same as fishing I get to a steel head hole and someone already on it and give a wave and move on to the next run. Today they just go crunching across the gravel and start wading right into the pool...etiquette??? Mostly gone.

BCBigGame
09-19-2020, 12:06 PM
That’s the reason I don’t moose hunt anymore. I have met very few a**hole mule deer sheep or goat hunters, maybe because I run into considerably less of them as never hunt the road. Running into hunters in back country I’ll ask where they intend to go and avoid area. If asked what I’ve seen I’ll let them know and if something is worth further pursuit I’ll mention that as well and generally they will avoid that area.

whognu
09-19-2020, 12:10 PM
Re: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..
5 pages and no one has mentioned all these idiots are from Vancouver Island and the LML!:wink:

hey! I resemble that remark.....

Bugle M In
09-19-2020, 12:40 PM
Hunting brings out the "competitive nature" in a lot of hunters.
I was always nice, but i certainly was competitive, which meant i got out there and into place before anyone else.
And yes, frustrating when someone else walked in to "my spot".
Overtime, i learned to accept it, and with age, have relaxed...a bit.

Blocking roads and such...total bs and never ever did stuff like that.
Met a lot of good people, but quite a few pricks as well.
Doubt that will ever change.

Suppose it is why they call hunting a sport???
To bad however, because it is supposed to be a lifestyle, and who doesn't want to have more friends in their lives???
Sorry to hear your experience....and rant on, it needs to be said!

Ride Red
09-19-2020, 12:56 PM
I agree that the Left / Right, Old / Young doesn't matter, there are idiots and great folks in all sectors of politics and age out there hunting.
As hunters we have to get more of the younger folks out there or it'll simply die off.
I'm from a non hunting Family, started late in life but got our Son into hunting, then Son In Law and now Grandaughter.

I remember the days when a guy sees a car or truck parked by a road (not blocking it) he would carry on to the next spot. Even if I were dropped off and he didn't know someone was up this little spur but he spotted me then they would quietly turn around give a wave and head on to another spot. And I was taught by my father to do the same thing.
Same as fishing I get to a steel head hole and someone already on it and give a wave and move on to the next run. Today they just go crunching across the gravel and start wading right into the pool...etiquette??? Mostly gone.

Yes, good and bad in all age groups and races. And etiquette, common sense; few and far between nowadays.

Ride Red
09-19-2020, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=whognu;2198427]Re: If you ever wonder why young people don't get into hunting..

5 pages and no one has mentioned all these idiots are from Vancouver Island and the LML!:wink:

A**holes come from every town/area, not just the Island/Lowermainland. I’ve hunted, fished, jet boated all over this province and more meeting mostly genuine people, but have run into my share of idiots that were down right disgusting individuals. Sadly it’s these stories that leave a mark, not the countless stories that could be told about the great people we meet. I’ve been invited into camps for dinner, game help, vehicle help and all kinds of very generous offers. I’ve paid it forward many times helping out with others game, vehicle/fuel issues, flat tires or just a ride out of trouble. I was brought up old school where doing the right thing came first, then everything else that followed was the bonus. I’ve brought my sons up being exactly this and wish more people took the time to realize that what we do is a privilege, not a right.

willyqbc
09-19-2020, 02:37 PM
This blocking of roads etc is not new, I recall stories from back when there was an open "Any Bull Moose" season here in region 5, that there was often camps set up blocking access to miles and miles of roads behind the camp. I'm told, when confronted, a common reply was " I didn't spend all this money and come all this way to go home empty handed....so piss off", or something similiar

Now I "heard" that many folks in my part of region 5 didn't take kindly to this sort of thing.....i'm told it was very common back in those days for those who camped across roads to have VERY bad luck with tires and water jugs....coming back from a morning hunt to find every tire in camp flat, every water jug empty.....truly a mystery how a camp could have such bad luck.......

didn't take too many seasons of these camps having bad luck in certain areas before there were no more camps across roads

......or so I've heard.....

HikerHunter
09-19-2020, 03:00 PM
i wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that there is just more people in general. you constantly see spots taken the entire way eventually you either give up and go home or go near someone else and try not to bother them. i still try to find my own spots where i feel like no one is around and then magically someone appears. so maybe you just cant get away from people anymore unless you go into the backcountry.

twoSevenO
09-19-2020, 03:54 PM
To be honest, I think more young people are getting into hunting than ever! I think if you had Instagram youd see a ton of new, young hunters.

However, the latest "fad" is the gear-collector, backcountry hunter type. Not really moose hunting. Deer, goats, sheep

If anything, elk is the only BIG game animal being seriously chased by the hunters I see on Instagram. There really doesnt seem to be many chasing moose from this demographic I follow.

skibum
09-19-2020, 05:02 PM
You know, all the BS about the self entitled younger generation........

....They had to be raised by someone...

LBM
09-19-2020, 05:24 PM
Blocking roads etc as mentioned is not right, but damaging camps or flattening tires is even dumber could be life threatening if some one had a medical
emergency and came back to flat tires.

Kami
09-19-2020, 05:28 PM
These idiot hunters who claim "this is their spot" are bullies who never grew up. They treat people like crap every day. Especially when they are in groups with their like-minded moronic friends. Get them armed? Whoa Nelly! Now they are even more brave. They were likely bullies in grade school. They likely formed and stuck together in groups so they could act like aszz holes and not get beat down. Which is what they deserve...A good lesson in humbling. Gangs of selfish, morons, bullying their way though life. Sounds akin to gangs of bikers I've seen perform similarly.

I recall hunting in a general open season. Some folks set up a camp right in the middle of a main access road into the hunting area. They tried to block it off. On occasion before light, I would drive through the middle of their camp on my ATV, staying on the well-used trail. I ensured I was on the throttle. They were not up yet. They glared at me at dusk when I returned back to camp the same way some evenings. Finally I stopped and we had a conversation. It was not heated or elevated. I asked them why they would choose to set up their camp, in an attempt to block the main access trail into the hunting area? They did not have a good answer. I told them that I will continue to stay on the well used trail and avoid going around them, as to not further disturb the grasslands. 2 days later they left...

Redthies
09-19-2020, 09:58 PM

Great Avatar, better post!

thomas300
09-19-2020, 10:13 PM
Funny reading this. Last year ran into a ass hat made camp barely off to the side of the road to a spot my wife and I frequent very very often. First thing in the morning go to drive by he stands in the middle of the road so I put up friendly ask how it’s going (530am) he says nothing. So I ask if he’s hunting in the area he snaps back yes and my buddies and two other guys who just went by. So I chuckle knowing how big the area is and turn around. I drive use the roads to get on top of the mountain right behind his camp bout two km hike away. And within three hours my wife has a buck down within 3 clicks of the road he tried to block. I know damn well he heard the gun shots. Hehehehe

Jereky
09-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Lots of A-holes out there. Also, lots of really good people willing to help. Dollars to doughnuts those dink’s claiming their territory are not from the region or area and are just pissed that someone might be ruining their yearly trip. Not suggesting that it’s cool, but rightly or wrongly they feel slighted. It’s their problem if they haven’t scouted, made contingency plans or are otherwise adaptable to changing conditions. I’d say F-U if you claim some place that isn’t private property if you want to be a dock about it. Plenty of area to go around if you want to just get away from the family to get obliterated with your overweight buddies. I’ve got stories about being hours from civilization and getting threats for being on crown land. Some people are entitled to whatever they feel they should be and it’s garbage.

slowjo
09-19-2020, 11:53 PM
There is lots to learn from the elders in our hunting community. Respect, ask, listen.

338win mag
09-20-2020, 04:48 AM
Times are changing, nothing stays the same. Most hunters I have met are exellent stewards and willing to help you out with a search, pack out, or breakdown etc...age has nothing to do with it.
I have had guys drive up to my camp (which is always in a secluded spot) park, get out and start hunting, lol...
The best one thus far is the phucktard who walked 5 ft from my camper and followed my tracks in the snow for 1.5-2km until he was on my 6 on the ridge above lol....Hi, wtf are you doing?

sumonda
09-20-2020, 08:06 AM
My experience has been mixed bag.. however I have encountered friendly even helpful hunters a couple times, one guy flagged me down and asked if I had the bull moose draw for the area, I didn't and was there just for the mulies anyway he had located it and was hoping to run into the party that had the LEH to help them out. I will say this though.. It pisses me of big time to see the trash some other jackasses leave after their trip.. It really only takes a few minutes to pick up after yourself, put everything in a contractor bag and chuck in the back of the truck.

Aaron600
09-20-2020, 08:38 AM
I find if you can atv or drive to a spot the more assholes you meet weather it's camping or hunting. I've never met an asshole on a backpacking trail. The further off the road you can get the better off you will be.

simonvancouver
09-20-2020, 08:39 AM
I have found bigger the group bigger the entitlement... that's not just hunting thats life, business, sports, dam even parents at kids recreation. Its just life.

I will say though while on our LEH, not only did we run into other hunters but they also advised us of how the area works (this was not to put us off as we ran into them on day 3 with a moose, exactly as they had said it would happen)
As others have pointed out there is no such things as our or their land, it's just an opportunity that is there one day then not the next, just be thankful you are out in the woods and not in a mall shopping.

Honey Holes..... this makes me laugh most honey holes are just areas that you go to one day and see game, most are easy to get to and most other local to the area will know about, so it really isnt that secret to be honest. That said if you are after a certain animal, like a big buck or an old mature buck, i get it, dont give it out you have worked hard for x amount of seasons.

I once told someone I got my deer on the Squamish FSR, which lets be fair its the most secret of areas in BC (sarcasm just encase the trolls of HBC come after me), then hear through another hunter a few weeks later that they heard about a honey hole as some guy got a deer up there (i was said guy the story was exactly as i had said lol :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: )

Question, would hunting be better off without social media? you know maybe just enjoy it for what it is and not have to post or shout about it etc?

fuzzybiscuit
09-20-2020, 09:09 AM
You can't control other people, only how you react to others.

You don't have to talk to people you don't want to.

Once again the voice of reason. Like the wise old man on the mountain...

...................................Gateholio, Cira 2033.......................................

https://i.postimg.cc/d0NFQWPw/Gatehouse-Cira-2040.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Rieber
09-20-2020, 09:50 AM
Some old farts are bitter because they remember the good old days when the game was plentiful, there were fewer hunters and they still had their youthful strength and bodies. Lots of these guys have pack mentality and are only pricks when they know someone has their back. Even one on one these guys tend to be prickly but they will likely not even be up their by themselves. Hyenas not Lions. Remember, everyone has and needs an asshole - just some become prolapsed and angrier than others.

Tough to escape this crap - old, self-entitles, young and noisy, atv croud, garbage pigs, road blockers, thieves and vandals ... lot's of crap everywhere whenever a prime area exists.

You're really never going to change anyone like this and I've simply giving up that battle which just end up causing me stress and money. I avoid the crowds, go to less prime areas where people have overlooked. Easier said than done, I know but this is the only way I can enjoy my outings. I can get pretty prickly myself once someone gets my hackles up those days of fighting are over for me.

Funny about the Vedder - I live 20 minutes from the river and I've given up fishing there. I just lost the desire to fight the crowds - screw it - not for me anymore.

fuzzybiscuit
09-20-2020, 09:57 AM
I’m out in the Bush more than the average guy and for the most part everyone I run into is pretty good.

I find if you make a friendly face and greet someone in a friendly manner it is usually reciprocated...

btridge
09-20-2020, 10:21 AM
i’m out in the bush more than the average guy and for the most part everyone i run into is pretty good.

I find if you make a friendly face and greet someone in a friendly manner it is usually reciprocated...

x2........

Rieber
09-20-2020, 10:27 AM
I’m out in the Bush more than the average guy and for the most part everyone I run into is pretty good.

I'm with you totally on this - and just like Sex Panther - "60% of the time, it works every time"

albravo2
09-20-2020, 10:38 AM

Me too. I find the same in every walk of life. Bitterness attracts bitterness so why go there?

Ubertuber
09-20-2020, 12:34 PM
Most of the hunters I meet and talk with are nice and seem friendly. For what ever reason, some guys are plain grumpy. When I meet that type, I wish them a nice day and move on.
I've had few experiences with hunters that block access with their camp. Depending on how many KM of road they're blocking, I either go somewhere else or zoom right through their camp with a wave. I don't stop to talk or ask them to move, I just drive through. They may not like it, but at this point of my life, I don't care.
Road and access blockers on crown land are a slimy bunch. They should be reported whenever you see them.

Bugle M In
09-20-2020, 01:16 PM
FYI,

Some "old hunters" (like my dad at 81), Don't HEAR so well!!
They seem like they don't care, or may not hear you saying hi from afar or stuff like that.
Also, dealing with chronic pain etc, so remember to cut them "some" slack when out in the field and they seem a "little off".

But yes, some are just ornery old cusps.
Think we have one or 2 of them on HBC:mrgreen:

Jack Russell
09-20-2020, 01:25 PM

Yes, raised by the "new" school system

caddisguy
09-20-2020, 02:53 PM
My all time favorite slob hunter meltdown was about 3 or 4 years ago. I was obsessed with this 5x5 blacktail and had him on camera a week prior and I was going to look for him on rifle opening day. We arrived the night prior and camped out in the Jeep just before the little deactivated road (not blocking it or anything)

Got up about an hour before first light and started walking down the trail planning to sneak into the old growth and hike into where the buck had been making some appearances.

About 5-10 mins into our walk, some very special person pulls up to our "camp" (where the jeep is parked) and goes ape with a shotgun and blasts off around 10 rapid shots with only a slight pause. Guessing 12ga mag fed semi auto. My car alarm fob started to do the little warning chirp, so we walked back just to make sure he wasn't shooting or messing with the jeep.

Just amazing to see a presumably grown man having that level of melt down over someone else hunting an area I suppose he planned to hunt opening day. Tons of area around for hunting and to have plan A, B, C and every other letter of the alphabet. We had some good laughs at his expense joking about the tantrum. Just adorable LOL. We briefly contemplated catching up with him for a chat and to offer a box of tissues and get some funny footage for the youtube (let's face it, meltdown videos are entertaining) .... "hey we heard your distress call back there and wanted to check if you are okay... sounded like you were in need of a hug or a box of tissues. can we help you? but we kept it classy (and safe as the guy is obviously already unhinged and trigger happy so you never really know) and went about our morning as planned.

Anyway for the amount of time we're out in the bush, probably 70-90 days/nights a year, we only have a half dozen stories like this after all these years. Most often when we run into people when we're going from point A to point B or road hunting for birds it's usually a wave and smiles and when they slow down and started rolling down their window, I look forward to the upcoming chat break. I've helped lots of people with jacks, tools, tires, jump starts, directions etc... had lots of people stop and ask if we're ok too which is nice. I am sure one day I'll need a hand. CO's and Park Rangers have always been really good to me too and for the most part they aren't paid to be your friend. I once had a couple Park Rangers stop to make sure I wasn't hypothermic. I probably was but I was back from a 5 hour hike in the 1-2C wet coast down pour and warming up already. One took my hands and warmed them up (don't tell caddisgirl ! j/k) Sooo many awesome people out there it's easy to focus on the few degenerates roaming around. It might seem higher sometimes but I would guess the slob to awesome ratio is 1:20

It's a small world too. Often people turn out to be HBC posters, lurkers, youtube subscribers and what not. It's funny running into a stranger in the woods and they tell you that you they watch your crayfishing videos or helped them get their first bear and I'm thinking "wellll I think you are giving a little more credit that deserved... all I do is tell people to hunt the grass".

Soo, awesome people just keep being awesome. We're winning! :)

338win mag
09-20-2020, 05:40 PM
Here is the all time Classic...the guy who wont let you pass him on a forest service road.
This happens to me every weekend during hunting season, it happened this morning, twice, I try to leave extra early on the weekend but sometimes its never early enough lol.

Some guy figure's that I am heading to the best hunting spot on the Planet (his spot) and wont let me go by, even though I am trying to get to my timber sale so I can go to work, yes, some guys work on the weekend.
Doesn't matter if its dark out, wont let you pass, happens every friggin weekend. I try to be polite but its hard not to get frustrated with some guys...I have had a guy put it in about 2nd gear low range and not let me pass for 6-7km, in the dark...total prick thing to do.

russm
09-20-2020, 06:07 PM

not everyone knows what's at the end of the road,and its not "your spot"

Wentrot
09-20-2020, 06:24 PM
Here is the all time Classic...the guy who wont let you pass him on a forest service road.
This happens to me every weekend during hunting season, it happened this morning, twice, I try to leave extra early on the weekend but sometimes its never early enough lol.

Some guy figure's that I am heading to the best hunting spot on the Planet (his spot) and wont let me go by, even though I am trying to get to my timber sale so I can go to work, yes, some guys work on the weekend.
Doesn't matter if its dark out, wont let you pass, happens every friggin weekend. I try to be polite but its hard not to get frustrated with some guys...I have had a guy put it in about 2nd gear low range and not let me pass for 6-7km, in the dark...total prick thing to do.

Get on their ass and lay on the horn the entire time. A road hunters worst nightmare.

goatdancer
09-20-2020, 06:28 PM
not everyone knows what's at the end of the road,and its not "your spot"

I think you missed the point. I do not have "my spot". What I was referring to was what the poster said about doing some target shooting at a stump when the idiots on their machines drove into "his spot". Two ignorant acts do not make one sane and smart one.

Huevos
09-20-2020, 06:40 PM
I was out hunting this Monday with my daughters. We called in a bull and a half of dozen cows. I tried for about 5 minutes to get my 12 yr old a good shooting lane, but the grass was tall and she is too little to hold the gun steady without a rest. We had one good lane that the bull stepped into a couple times, but never presented a good shot so she never pulled the trigger. For a twelve year old to have an elk in her scope is always a good day. Anyway, these elk took off and we never did get them. Unknown to us, there was another group of hunters that were in the same area. They had come up on the elk as well. They have hunted there for years, but this was my first time in the area. After the elk left, we realized we weren't alone so we went to talk to these guys. They asked me not to tell anyone the spot was there, we had a few laughs, reviewed the evenings events and went on our way. All respectful. Normally, if I see an old guy hunting in an area, I will give him his space. I will be the old one one day that can't put on the miles like I used to, but I will be out there still. I was watching meat eater last night on netflix and in the words of Steve rinella " There are two types of hunters. The ones in your group, and the ass holes." I had to laugh at the satement as ther is so much truth about how we feel when we come across someone else in the woods. As far as telling people about hunting spots, I don't always tell people where I hunt, but when I do, I LIE!
Everyone take a deep breath, forget about the bad experiences, and make sure you are not that guy! A smile goes a long way. I'd say I hope to see you out there, but I really don't!. I do hope you have good luck though, just not in my spot......

caddisguy
09-20-2020, 07:16 PM

We ran into some anglers some years ago in the south cariboo that lost an hour or two of their day because a road hunter driving 5km/hour wouldn't let them by.

Maybe a megaphone is the solution... "We are not going to road hunt in front of you morons. We are going fishing" is the solution.

Sadly I almost understand their paranoia that the person will pass and start road hunting in front of them. It happens. I watched a little convey of clowns in Region 2 leap frogging each other that way LOL

goatdancer
09-20-2020, 07:23 PM
Yes, raised by the "new" school system

It's the parents responsibility to raise their children. I think some are too lazy so they hope the teachers will do the job.

Ride Red
09-20-2020, 07:24 PM

I’ve had that too and then my good side shows. I have a 14,000lm light bar on my truck which creates a little problem with seeing so they usually pull over :)

jlirot
09-20-2020, 08:31 PM
I haven't even read more than 2 pages of this.

I can tell you that this is why I try to fish where there are no people and hunt where there are no people. I'd rather go where there is less game to be away from the dickheads.

I used to fish shoulder to shoulder and go bird hunting where there were crowds. I just can't handle it anymore.

338win mag
09-20-2020, 08:51 PM
I haven't even read more than 2 pages of this.

I can tell you that this is why I try to fish where there are no people and hunt where there are no people. I'd rather go where there is less game to be away from the dickheads.

I used to fish shoulder to shoulder and go bird hunting where there were crowds. I just can't handle it anymore.
Exactly^^^^

cameron0518
09-20-2020, 09:27 PM
Not sure if people want to hunt or just have a big sausage party.

338win mag
09-20-2020, 09:33 PM
Not sure if people want to hunt or just have a big sausage party.
Then there is you..:razz:not sure what to make of you.

cameron0518
09-20-2020, 10:17 PM
Then there is you..:razz:not sure what to make of you.

Lol. Not the first time I have heard that. I don't know either. :-P

dino
09-21-2020, 08:52 PM
Not really. I’m not a good hunter yet but I share my spots with people and give them all the types I know

Hg hit it right on the nose. Most hunters you see dont know how to hunt. They drive or quad roads hoping to get lucky. The odd one goes for a short hike and wanders around hoping to get lucky. Hg understands that reading the bush is what a hunter does, posers are the guys that cant hunt their way out of a wet bag.

bruce44
09-21-2020, 10:02 PM
Hg hit it right on the nose. Most hunters you see dont know how to hunt. They drive or quad roads hoping to get lucky. The odd one goes for a short hike and wanders around hoping to get lucky. Hg understands that reading the bush is what a hunter does, posers are the guys that cant hunt their way out of a wet bag.its a double edge sword. We need more hunters to support the sport but then here we are talking smack to each other’s skill level and refusing to help because we don’t want to get crowded

Citori54
09-21-2020, 10:30 PM
I have been hunting for 51 years and in that time I must say the vast majority of the other hunters I have encountered are great people. Have ended up good friends with some we have met while hunting. There is the odd ahole in every walk of life so no surprise there are some jerks that hunt.
I do recall one great situation while hunting near Port Renfrew years ago. I worked in the area so knew where to find some good bucks. I had seen a very nice 5x5 in an area that we planned to hunt early in the season. It poured all night but stopped by the time we got to our spot in the morning - perfect. The plan was to hike about 400 yards up through a young plantation to hunt a beautiful patch of old growth where my brother had taken a dandy the year before. Just as we were getting ready to leave the road another hunter pulled up to chat. He was nice enough but said he had been hunting here for a week (mostly driving) and had not seen any deer, and we should not waste our time. We said our good byes and as we hiked up through the plantation we looked back and saw he had come back hoping we would spook something to him - made us a little nervous. About noon I shot a beautiful 5x5 that made the Island Book. It took me an hour or so to drag it down to the road where I left it in the ditch near a culvert while I got the truck. Perfect timing - the hunter we encountered in the morning came along just we were loading it into the truck. As he got out I said "yup, no deer around here" and we all had a good laugh.

bruce44
09-21-2020, 10:59 PM
I think you missed the point. I do not have "my spot". What I was referring to was what the poster said about doing some target shooting at a stump when the idiots on their machines drove into "his spot". Two ignorant acts do not make one sane and smart one.
Never said it was my spot. I said we were hiking for about an hour in a narrow trail only for some fat slob in camo everything to almost run us over and then sit at the clear cut we were headed.

on an open road we wouldn’t have minded. But you dip past us almost killing us just so no one can get to your spot, you don’t deserve respect. You deserve to be arrested for reckless driving.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-21-2020, 11:36 PM
I am not condoning ass-face moves, but will point out that more and more people are engaging in desperation moves as the abundance of game decreases. Back when there was more game, people didn't feel like they had to tie up the best areas, they didn't feel like they had to lie to fellow hunters, and there was no need to be so competitive. If it didn't happen today it would happen tomorrow. Now everyone hunts under the pressure that if they don't get every edge during their 5 days out there, there's a strong chance they go home meatless until next year.

There have always been dickheads. But the decline of game populations, in my opinion, is the biggest driver of the pervasive shit attitude between hunters.

abbyfireguy
09-23-2020, 09:22 AM
Please don’t lump the vast majority of older hunters into the bad category.
Thats not appropriate or appreciated.
I hunt with many of the so called bad older hunters and they are all great.
Yes there are dicks, but not the vast majority.
Just my take on things after hunting for 45 of my 64 years on this globe.
And yes, I’m still out hunting at my advanced age! LOL!

adriaticum
09-23-2020, 10:24 AM
The problem is the scarcity mindset.
People are, whether they wanted it or not, whether they know it or not, "protecting resources for themselves".
The old mentality when game was plenty and human population was low people were willing to share their knowledge, their honey holes.
This is changing fast as population of BC is growing, exploitation of natural resources is expanding and game population are dwindling.
I think they call that urbanization or civilization, or development.

huntingfamily
09-23-2020, 11:01 AM
Please don’t lump the vast majority of older hunters into the bad category.
Thats not appropriate or appreciated.
I hunt with many of the so called bad older hunters and they are all great.
Yes there are dicks, but not the vast majority.
Just my take on things after hunting for 45 of my 64 years on this globe.
And yes, I’m still out hunting at my advanced age! LOL!

Yep. There isn't one age group that is any worse than others...
And I find the vast majority of hunters we meet are terrific.
If you are finding the opposite maybe look in the mirror?

slowjo
09-23-2020, 11:48 AM
I had an experience with older hunters that I have to share.

Two friends and I had just wrapped up a morning of still hunting and glassing. We had met up on an FSR spur and decided to walk the 2km or so back to the truck for lunch. Not more than ten steps into our walk we were startled to hear a gun go off in the bush very near to us. Not one shot....five shots!!! We look at each other like, "WTF!?".
We're standing there for a few seconds and we hear some rustling in the bush, and out pops this handsome 5x7 whitetail buck! It stops in the middle of the road, 20 meters, broadside, and stares at us like, "Are you gonna shoot me or what?"
So my friend raises his rifle and drops the deer right there in the middle of the road.
I go get the truck, we load up the buck and take down it to a flat spot a few km away to field dress it.
While we're working away, a pickup pulls up and out jump two older guys in one-piece army surplus green wool outfits and combat boots. The older, hairier and meaner looking of the two yells in a very thick russian accent, "Who shoot this deer?"
I point to my friend who did the shooting.
The man stomps towards him, grabs my friend by the shoulder, smiles and says, "This is nice prize for you! We must celebrate! Who wants cigarette!?"
Relieved and laughing, we all accept his offer, and he says, "My friend here, he speak no english. He shoot at this deer five times! He miss all!" And he laughed and rubbed the back of his sad looking partner.
For the next hour or so we all shared a few smokes and a few beers, and the old guy told us stories and gave us tips and insight on the area he had been hunting for 30 years. What a beauty he was. We celebrate all our kills in the same fashion now, even though none of us smoke, keeping a pouch of rolling tobacco stuffed in the bottom of the hunting bag for just such an occasion.

J_T
09-23-2020, 12:11 PM
That’s the reason I don’t moose hunt anymore. As I transitioned to hunting in the archery season only a number of years ago, the one intangible that I continue to enjoy is the lack of protectiveness, the willingness to share hunting tips, strategies, and areas.

Hunting brings out the "competitive nature" in a lot of hunters.
Just to reiterate, the bow only seasons really take the competitive nature out of the hunt and it simply is, much more simplistic and spiritual. There is - for me - an increased element of camaraderie when different camps are hunting similar areas.

There is lots to learn from the elders in our hunting community. Respect, ask, listen. Absolutely. And not to bash the OP, but he must be very young to lump all pricks into 'older' categories. I'm older and I would suggest, I leave no trace in the forest, helpful to others, informative and usually abdicate to someone else who wants to hunt and area and move on to somewhere else. Animals are everywhere, success is mostly about how we hunt.

..... Question, would hunting be better off without social media? you know maybe just enjoy it for what it is and not have to post or shout about it etc? Yes, absolutely. Not talking about, or sharing a hunting story is not about protecting a location, but it is about limiting the unnecessary criticism from people who basically don't know you.

Linksman313
09-23-2020, 01:10 PM
I am totally feeling you RYO!
Been there, felt like slapping heads, had 6 year old out at the time, we hiked on in disgust as well.
Good hunting, hope that Moose wanders right into your set up to spite the dycks around.

Signed
Granby Rvr clean up crew
(Or so it seems this year already)
Links

BigSlapper
09-23-2020, 01:30 PM
Good rant! .... Question - what is your "cut-off" age to classify one as an "older hunter"?
and btw ... my philosophy has always been "lots of room in the sandbox so play nice"

Skogkatt
09-23-2020, 03:40 PM
Who the heck likes to discuss with people who has guns? just shoot at the air and act crazy... they will just run away.

Rieber
09-23-2020, 06:33 PM
Hg hit it right on the nose. Most hunters you see dont know how to hunt. They drive or quad roads hoping to get lucky. The odd one goes for a short hike and wanders around hoping to get lucky. Hg understands that reading the bush is what a hunter does, posers are the guys that cant hunt their way out of a wet bag.

Yes and No. Lots of old hunters have the knowledge but their bodies simply aren't able to take on the physical challenges anymore. I fall into that category. Unless I have a buddy with me, I limit my hike to one km max from the truck and only in the mornings. My eyesight and coordination starts to challenge me in the fading light of the evening. Last thing I need to be doing at night is making pack out trips to retrieve my fallen game. I still do well enough but I respect my limits now. I expect there will be a time when all I'll really be able to do is walk old overgrown roads and then be limited to vehicle hunting of some sort. I'm not worried about myself but more for the future of hunting for all.

I also believe in Karma and I have to work on keeping on the right side of prickly when things get tense out there. I help out whenever I see someone in need - at least as much as I can. I expect there will be a time when I need help and I like the idea of depositing a few good acts before needing to draw upon some help.

happyhunter
09-23-2020, 09:01 PM
I was out hunting this Monday with my daughters. We called in a bull and a half of dozen cows. I tried for about 5 minutes to get my 12 yr old a good shooting lane, but the grass was tall and she is too little to hold the gun steady without a rest. We had one good lane that the bull stepped into a couple times, but never presented a good shot so she never pulled the trigger. For a twelve year old to have an elk in her scope is always a good day. Anyway, these elk took off and we never did get them. Unknown to us, there was another group of hunters that were in the same area. They had come up on the elk as well. They have hunted there for years, but this was my first time in the area. After the elk left, we realized we weren't alone so we went to talk to these guys. They asked me not to tell anyone the spot was there, we had a few laughs, reviewed the evenings events and went on our way. All respectful. Normally, if I see an old guy hunting in an area, I will give him his space. I will be the old one one day that can't put on the miles like I used to, but I will be out there still. I was watching meat eater last night on netflix and in the words of Steve rinella " There are two types of hunters. The ones in your group, and the ass holes." I had to laugh at the satement as ther is so much truth about how we feel when we come across someone else in the woods. As far as telling people about hunting spots, I don't always tell people where I hunt, but when I do, I LIE!
Everyone take a deep breath, forget about the bad experiences, and make sure you are not that guy! A smile goes a long way. I'd say I hope to see you out there, but I really don't!. I do hope you have good luck though, just not in my spot......

Great post, good luck to you and the family this season!

LBM
09-24-2020, 05:17 AM

i would suggest getting some shooting sticks for the exact reason you mention for your kids, we use to just cut a forked stick, worked for them many times.

ajr5406
09-24-2020, 06:50 PM
My background is surfing (spent my first 30 Years in Australia), and it’s very similar. Both hunting and surfing mean your are competing for space and trying to find a great spot all to yourself. Unfortunately that breeds a lot of protectionism and fuels a lot of dispute about “my spot vs your spot”, which tends to mean the older guys can get a bit pissy about younger guys taking up space.

it’s just the way it is, and hopefully we can create a culture where we can be more open to sharing, but this generally happens when you spend time in a place and get to know people, not when you turn up and expect a place at the table.

Bustercluck
09-30-2020, 09:25 AM
I haven’t read this whole thread, but I thought I’d share a quick story from last week.

I was on a week long moose trip. Midday we were doing some scouting and found a good area with recent activity. We went there the next afternoon and called until after dark and walked back to my quad in pitch black. The next morning we were parking our quads in pitch black and walking into the bush just as it was getting light. We had a bull grunting at us, but couldn’t get him to show himself.

Around 9-9:30 a group of road hunters drove by us and didn’t see us. I thought they had driven past us and kept on travelling up the road(the road didn’t go much further, so they couldn’t have gone far). About 15 minutes go by and then I hear two short cow calls followed up by an immediate bull grunt. I looked at my partner and immediately said”it’s those guys in the sxs “. I let out a cow call right away. Next thing I know, the guy starts calling some more and I can see his partner circling us on the road above. He still can’t see us. We just stood up and started walking up to the road when he finally noticed and turned around to head back to his partner.

We went back to grab our machines and I decided to drive by and give a friendly hello. When I stopped to talk to the guy he asked me why I was hunting up here. I was about 6kms from my camp and about 3 from where he was camped. I guess he figured it was his area, because he was camped closer.

The more I think about it the more I wonder. He had to drive by our quads which weren’t terribly far away from where we hiked into the bush. I could clearly see my footprints in the dirt where we left our machines, walked up the road and where we left the road. Is he that stupid he couldn’t figure out we were there, or was he calling on top of us just to be an ass hole?

The ironic thing is he setup camp right beside me a few years ago and I gave him 5 gallons of gas when I was headed home, because he was short.

Surrey Boy
09-30-2020, 09:42 AM
I think that rather than perpetuating hunting among common people, many hunters would rather lock the gate behind them to enjoy opportunity for themselves at the expense of the next generation. They don't admit it, but they act like it.

chris
09-30-2020, 10:11 AM
"If you meet an asshole in the morning, then you met an asshole. If you meet assholes all day, then you may be the asshole."

Bustercluck
09-30-2020, 01:42 PM
"If you meet an asshole in the morning, then you met an asshole. If you meet assholes all day, then you may be the asshole."

This is good. I might use it.

Nailknot85
10-01-2020, 09:34 PM
That’s not true and you know it. It’s not about being left or right. It’s about not understanding hunting. Instead of putting your political spin on things, educate people. I have a brother in law who is very left. He loves hunting and shooting. He used to hate guns because he was a doctor in the USA and has seen so many shot children.

Myself and my other brother in law showed him the difference between being a gun owner and a gun nut. We showed him how hunting moose and elk every year was more environmentally friendly than eating beef. Se also showed him how ungulates that aren’t shot don’t die peacefully. They get too old, too hungry, or too sick to run and they almost always get torn apart by predators.

Educate the ignorant to our ways instead of putting them down. Stop with this divisive mindset. I’m an immigrant and people that think like you is exactly why it’s so hard to get non Canadian born people into hunting. You act as if you have to be a conservative redneck to be a hunter.

bruce44, I don't post on here very much but I have to say kudos, I completely agree with everything you're saying. Hunting doesn't have to be an all or nothing left or right wong political thing. It's hunting that is all.

nwalter
10-04-2020, 06:51 AM
Well first time I really ran into other hunters was over the last couple days when camped close to the minaker River. The older gentleman with the sidexside was super friendly and offered several tips on the area in which I was new to. Unfortunately I didn’t have any luck before having to leave unexpectedly due to the passing of my grandmother.
but if that guy from Ft Nelson is on here, thank you again for being kind and helpful
Nick