PDA

View Full Version : Youth hunter supervision

j270wsm
09-18-2020, 10:40 AM
Here is the scenario.

My son ( 17 and has a full hunting license ) wants to go hunting with his friend who is 19 has his pal and has held his full hunting license since he was 14.....does this meet the requirements to supervise a youth hunter.

Regs state that the supervisor must be an adult and hold a license for 3 prior yrs. plus some other stuff that my sons friend has or doesn’t need to worry about.

Anyone talk to a co about this?

Yes i have contacted the local CO’s hopefully I’ll get a reply soon.

I’m not looking for anyone’s option on this so if you don’t have factual info then Please don’t respond to the thread.

Leaseman
09-18-2020, 11:00 AM
Checks all the boxes.....!:cool:

IslandWanderer
09-18-2020, 12:15 PM
Any information anyone offers here will be of the same worth as an opinion. There are no shortcuts when it comes to the regulations- you'll just have to be patient.

Leaseman
09-18-2020, 12:32 PM
Patient for what??

dakoda62
09-18-2020, 12:36 PM
He should be good to go.

j270wsm
09-18-2020, 03:12 PM
Checks all the boxes.....!:cool:

The part that makes me question the legality is where they say “adult “ and “ held a license for 3 prior seasons “. Technically Chase is an adult and has held a full license for the prior 3 seasons but......he hasn’t held a full license for 3yrs as an adult.

KodiakHntr
09-18-2020, 07:02 PM
Wasn’t it previously just that the supervising hunter had to be 18 or older and have a licence? When did the 3 yrs come into effect?

I haven’t looked into that as my kids and their buddies aren't that old yet.

Kowabunga
09-18-2020, 07:32 PM
Page 7 of the regulations just states that they must be accompanied by a licensed adult (19 years or older). I did not see a three year requirement stated. Hope this helps.

TimberPig
09-18-2020, 09:45 PM
It’s on page 8 where it states the 3 year requirement. But it states they must have held a hunting license (full license, ie adult not youth license) for not less than 3 years.

There is nothing that states 3 years as an adult. The way it reads they are good to go hunting, as he has held a full license for 3 seasons and is an adult.

KodiakHntr
09-19-2020, 07:40 AM
You guys are reading that incorrectly. Page 8 and the requirements for a “supervising hunter” are for the supervision of a “youth licence holder” or “initiation licence holder”.

OP, you kids buddy being 18 or older is allowed to hunt on his own, and with you son being 17 and having a full license is able to hunt with him. No issues.

TimberPig
09-19-2020, 09:45 AM
You guys are reading that incorrectly. Page 8 and the requirements for a “supervising hunter” are for the supervision of a “youth licence holder” or “initiation licence holder”.

OP, you kids buddy being 18 or older is allowed to hunt on his own, and with you son being 17 and having a full license is able to hunt with him. No issues.

Read the Youth Hunting License section on page 7, where it states these criteria apply to a youth license or hunting license (full license with CORE complete). It applies to any hunter supervising a hunter who is under 18.

Jagermeister
09-19-2020, 09:56 AM
The question is, are they out hunting this morning and if not, why not? The friend no longer needs a supervisor just like yourself therefore he meets the requirements of supervisor.

KodiakHntr
09-19-2020, 10:25 AM
Read the Youth Hunting License section on page 7, where it states these criteria apply to a youth license or hunting license (full license with CORE complete). It applies to any hunter supervising a hunter who is under 18.

Yep, and as per the OP his kids buddy has held a licence for the previous 4 years.

I should have worded my earlier response more clearly.

TimberPig
09-19-2020, 10:44 AM
Yep, and as per the OP his kids buddy has held a licence for the previous 4 years.

I should have worded my earlier response more clearly.

Agreed, they are good to go, as it only states hunting license for 3 years or more, nothing more, and he is over 18 and has held a license for long enough to meet the requirements.