PDA

View Full Version : You guys ever switch up calling between moose and elk?

bruce44
09-17-2020, 11:01 PM
I’ll be primarily hunting elk but if nothing answers for awhile, I might throw out a couple cow moose broadcast calls.

have you guys done this before with success. I know ungulates aren’t geniuses but I don’t want to scare anything away by doing some moose calls.

Ride Red
09-18-2020, 05:47 AM
I’ll be primarily hunting elk but if nothing answers for awhile, I might throw out a couple cow moose broadcast calls.

have you guys done this before with success. I know ungulates aren’t geniuses but I don’t want to scare anything away by doing some moose calls.

Hunt elk a few seasons then you’ll realize how smart they are. They learn at an incredibly fast rate. And no, I don’t mix calls (unless you physically see a moose)

todbartell
09-18-2020, 09:16 AM
Well, I've had bull moose grunt back many times to elk calls, and I know someone who has had elk bugle back at their cow moose calls. So giv'r

Jrax
09-18-2020, 09:18 AM
I wont call from same location unless i hear or see a moose i am interested in or find rubs, tracks etc left from a bull moose. I do run into this alot when i am leaving an 'elky' area and getting more into 'moosey' area. I will call after maybe 150 or 200 hundred meters minimum from where i last called elk.

I have been in locations with both moose and elk and where both are active and i had to choose which to try and call. I had a cow elk natter at a bull moose i couldnt see but was grunting as the elk herd was moving by. I have had bull moose come in to elk calls and i have been followed by a bull moose through the bush at night after backing out of a herd of elk where i didnt get a chance at the herd bull. So it shouldnt be that big of a deal since they must interact alot with each other but i think that elk are very smart and learn fast so generally dont mix calls.

bruce44
09-18-2020, 11:05 AM
Thanks everyone. Ill be hunting by a river, about 2 kms from farm land, so anything could be there.

weatherbyjunkie
09-18-2020, 09:52 PM
Well, I've had bull moose grunt back many times to elk calls, and I know someone who has had elk bugle back at their cow moose calls. So giv'r

We called an elk into about 20 yards, he was a 5 point so he got to walk away. We sat down for a quick snack and new plan right after and we heard a moose grunting his way right in. We got ready,let out a call, amd I shot a 52” bull moose.

cameron0518
09-18-2020, 10:07 PM
Pick one and go with it IMO. You could also put out some deer calls as well I suppose.

338edgehunter
10-05-2020, 02:00 AM
I was cow moose callin and had a 5x5 elk walk right up to 64 yards.... i shot the elk.

nelsonob1
10-05-2020, 07:36 AM
I have mixed moose and elk calling if in the right area. Certainly did not scare the moose, can't say for sure about the elk but I doubt it. As others have said, just move a 200 yards and change.

andrew5
10-05-2020, 09:15 AM
what about moose calls while deer hunting? I was in my evening sit a couple days ago glassing for deer, and a bull moose came sauntering in on his own accord. no calling or rattling.

will a fired up bull moose scare away any deer in the area or does it not matter? there was deer and moose sign in this area.

Downwindtracker2
10-05-2020, 10:21 AM
I've seen bull moose trying to romance cow elk.

nelsonob1
10-05-2020, 02:59 PM
what about moose calls while deer hunting? I was in my evening sit a couple days ago glassing for deer, and a bull moose came sauntering in on his own accord. no calling or rattling.

will a fired up bull moose scare away any deer in the area or does it not matter? there was deer and moose sign in this area.

Got moose with whitetail deer on my camera over a wallow. They seem very relaxed. Also got elk hanging with whitetail, and a young whitetail with mulie bucks.

Weatherby Fan
10-05-2020, 03:11 PM
We caught a 4 point Mule Deer sniffing around some Cow Elk In September years back, needles to say we ruined his fantasy !

Keta1969
10-05-2020, 03:21 PM
I've seen bull moose trying to romance cow elk.

If it happened would that be a moolk or an ekmoo?

Bigdoggdon
10-05-2020, 06:52 PM
Had a bull moose come charging out into a meadow in front of me cause he was chasing a flock of high flying geese that were honking as they flew.

Muliechaser
10-05-2020, 07:01 PM
If it happened would that be a moolk or an ekmoo?

Elkoose.!!!!

Downwindtracker2
10-05-2020, 08:35 PM
She was having nothing to do with him. Guess he was too ugly. So I called him over to our side of the valley and told my son to go down the road to meet him. I can call ,but not well enough to get a straight in. His horns were of that awkward number.

Quince2
10-17-2020, 01:05 PM
Was bugling back and forth with elk And started hearing moose calls.. wtf why is my partner doing moose calls when im bugling? Turns out moose and elk calling in same spot.