PDA

View Full Version : Back from hunt

kennyg826
10-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Well our trip truly was successful this year. Many thanks to all those who responded to my post on moose in 7-28. Dad and I had a wonderful trip ( son couldn't make it cause of school change ). We had an uneventfull ride up. Stopped off at my uncles in Lac Lehache on the way up to say hi and see how his new "CABIN" is coming along, and to see if our friends had got their deer yet. Turns out they had a small 4 point from earlyer that morning. We arrived at our camp, 2 1/2 hrs drive from the highway, seeing only one black bear sow and her cub. It was still fairly mild out and as we began our hunt we saw no new sign, but a bit of old sign was around. Lots of feed available everywhere. Our hunt continued for another four days without seeing an animal. Couldn't believe how little activity there was. We searched high and low, into deactivated cut blocks that hadn't any traffic in weeks, probably months. Called in cut blocks, around some lakes ect. and nothing. Thought, Ok, maybe it's to warm and they're just not that active right now. Finally the temperature dropped considerably and we went out for our evening hunt. Dropped dad off at a cut block that he walked into and I went to the one next to it and began to walk into that one. All I could think was, THIS HAS GOT TO BE IT, EVERYTHING FEELS RIGHT, COLD AIR, SLIGHT WIND. No sooner did I start my walk into the slash and BWAM:eek:. That's gotta be dad. BWAM:eek:. That's gotta be dad, he's the only one down there! My heart is POUNDING out of my chest. Listen to my radio, waiting..... waiting...., "Hello Kenny?":eek:
"Go ahead. Did you get one?"
"I think I got one, just a sec."
Silence........................................... ......
Heart is still crankin.
"Hello Kenny, I got him. He's a two point bull".:lol:
Sweet. But don't it figure. We've got a draw for any bull and he slams an immy. Kinda funny cause I was hoping we would get an immy first so we could tag him and be able to leave our leh open. Any how I hustled back to the truck and went to find him just as a massive weather system unleashed it's fury on us. After finding dad I helped him finished gutting him and we ran out of light so we left the moose there over night as it was plenty cold now. Went back to camp and celebrated a little. Got up the next morning, went back and cautiously approached the moose after spending a fair bit of time glassing the area just to make sure there was no surprises of the carnivorous sort around. Brought the quad in, dragged the prize out to the closest cross ditch to the truck. Backed the trucks back end down into the cross ditch, tied a rope across the front of the box, hung a snatch block off of that, ran the winch line up through the block and back to the moose and started sucking him into the box. Worked great, no broken backs. Once back at camp we got him skinned out and hung and quarted. Back to hunting again. We spent the following four days under the same weather conditions and saw nothing more than three fresh tracks. We pondered the talk of winter kill and the talk of them being in off the beatin path, but no matter were we went, we just weren't seeing anything. Feeling kinda frustrated and at a loss for what to do, we decided that we were fortunate enough to have gotten at least one and that was good enough. So we thought we'd head out and do some deer hunting around Lac Lehache at my uncle's. We drove out to the highway, had something to eat at the restaurant, headed down to a pull out on the crooked river and slept over night. Kind of a hair raising experience here. Woke up some time in the night to the sound of a wolf howlin. Sounded like it was right outside our trailer. Got down to my uncle's and went out deer hunting the next morning. Snowed about four inches that morning. Dad missed a buck that morning but made up for it the next day with a small 2x3. The next morning I went out my self (in my good clothes cause I figure my stench might have been part of my problem), and Whack, I smacked a fair size two point. So all in all, dad and I had a great time, a safe trip and a few favourable memories.

CHEERS, KEN.

ROEBUCK
10-20-2007, 05:57 AM
congrats to you both kenny sounds like an awesome trip ,we moved camp after you guys left up onto the main were the 2 guys were camped in the camper,anway good luck to you

Will
10-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Congrats to you both on the impossible...a Moose in reg 7:lol::wink:
Well done..........but we need Pics man :x
:biggrin:

BCJunior
10-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Congratz, hope too see pics one day!

NaStY
10-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Cograts on your hunting trip. Got to see the pics though.....

ryanb
10-20-2007, 12:04 PM
I was working up in 7-28 a couple weeks ago. Very little moose around near the roads, but we were doing work by helicopter 15 clicks back in the bush and plenty back in there. The situation might not be as dire in that area as it seems, hopefully.

KodiakHntr
10-20-2007, 01:53 PM
I was working up in 7-28 a couple weeks ago. Very little moose around near the roads, but we were doing work by helicopter 15 clicks back in the bush and plenty back in there. The situation might not be as dire in that area as it seems, hopefully.

Hey was your pilot a guy from vanderhoof? Working for yellowhead?
Just curious, was out on a flight around then, and he'd dropped some guys off in the morning then took us out for 5 hours. Had to cut us short as he had to go pick up his other guys.

ryanb
10-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey was your pilot a guy from vanderhoof? Working for yellowhead?
Just curious, was out on a flight around then, and he'd dropped some guys off in the morning then took us out for 5 hours. Had to cut us short as he had to go pick up his other guys.

Interior helicoters out of the Fort.

GoatGuy
10-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Interior helicoters out of the Fort.

Was it West?

I'm not a rotary guy but he put us down in some spots that were truly unbelieveable.

newhunterette
10-22-2007, 08:31 AM
congrats Kenny ummmm but a requisite is when telling a tale - WE NEED PICTURES dag gone it - okay waiting patiently

Ali

Sitkaspruce
10-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Hey Goat Guy

You know better than to use a Heli for hunting:shock:

Wes is a great pilot. Interior was sold this summer as Grant is getting to old and all he wants to do is go fishing. A young couple bought it and they brought along a bigger heli as well.

ryanb
10-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Grant is still getting roped into flying the odd trip. We had both Wes and Grant flying us, I think Wes owns one of the jetrangers.

lakelander
10-22-2007, 01:53 PM
did you guys land at the intersection near Manson Lakes and pick up that big round thing....we were up there 2 weeks ago and chopper landed right in front of me.