PDA

View Full Version : In reach??? which model?

bearheart
09-14-2020, 04:10 PM
Old guy asking,so be patient.I see these seem considered a good safety option. Which In Reach??? Garmin 010-01735 or inReach Mini or??? Maybe should just spend a bit more and buy a SatPhone???

Thanks!

todbartell
09-14-2020, 04:28 PM
If you're not terribly tech savy, the Garmin inReach SE (yellow model) is the easiest to use of the Garmin models, not needing to be paired to a smartphone like the Mini (to type messages at least) - https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/561286

Check out the Zoleo model too, it is less $ than Garmin. It will be paired to a smart phone https://www.zoleo.com/en-ca/satellite-communicator/

grantk
09-14-2020, 04:45 PM
I really like my mini paired with my phone. Just put the phone on airplane mode, turn on Bluetooth only when you need it, and you can get a couple days out of the phone before charging. I think the mini would last about 4 days if left on all the time. Zoleo looks interesting too, but cheapest plan looks like $25/month vs $15 for the garmin.

Citori54
09-14-2020, 05:47 PM
I went with the Explorer+ when it was on sale at Cabelas for $479. I don't want to be tied to a stupid cell phone while in the bush - in the truck fine, but I have enough crap to pack with me.

Keta1969
09-14-2020, 06:08 PM
I'm also an old guy and after a bunch of harping about hiking and hunting alone and me not doing anything about it, the family bought me a 66i. I did not want to pack a phone and have been happy with a compass for over 45 years. This unit is capable of lots more than I'm using it for and hasn't always been an easy learning experience however the key for me is playing with it. I take it every time I head out and am figuring it out. Would just as soon not have it but at least they will find the body with out a massive search.

SBvias
09-14-2020, 06:29 PM
I vote for Mini or full size delorme (pre-garmin) or new garmin Inreaches. Most people even my mom has a smart phone now :)
It is similiar process to pair a bluetooth headset. Instructions are pretty good regarding how to pair between phone and Inreaches. Then you can text and use the Earthmate as a secondary navigation tool if you have an explorer model or one with a compass. Cheaper than a Sat Phone and I am guessing most of your partners won't have a Sat Phone either while in the field. Keep in mind, its much easier to use the smart phone to type, otherwise its tying like with the old flip phones, one letter at a time. Its okay for a short message home to say you are okay for the evening.

twoSevenO
09-14-2020, 07:18 PM
I have the mini. Do NOT get the mini if you are not tech savvy. It will piss you off.

Wentrot
09-14-2020, 07:28 PM
I had the garmin explorer + and now the 66i. They are both great units.

Wood butcher
09-14-2020, 07:41 PM
I have an Inreach paired to my cell phone. works fantastic. Cheap peace of mind.
Well worth having IMO

corywilson13
09-14-2020, 07:57 PM
If you want gps capabilities as well, you can’t beat the 66i.

john.b
09-14-2020, 08:09 PM
I have the mini and link it with my phone.

Friday_30-06
09-14-2020, 08:34 PM
The mini sure fit the bill for us last weekend. The first ever message sent from it was an SOS. Couldn't be happier with that purchase! The mini is really easy to send preset messages from but if you want to send custom texts you really need to pair it to a smart phone or it will take forever.

RambleOn
09-15-2020, 07:49 AM
You pretty much have to pair it to a cell phone. Typing as easy as a text message compared to fumbling around trying scroll through the number pad on the unit is no comparison. It is torture to use it on its own. Make it easy on yourself and pair either of the devices. You only have to pair it once.

CHEAM
09-15-2020, 08:10 AM
I personally would not buy a Sat phone if you are considering it just as a safety option.
That was my original thought also but now after owning the Explorer + for about four years I think it is the best bang for your buck. I do not use mine paired with my phone as it is easy enough to send a short message or two home. I hunt and hike alone a lot and it is great piece of mind for my wife to receive a simple good night message with my exact location. My young kids, now ten and twelve, also know how to use it and practice by sending messages to their mother.

simonvancouver
09-15-2020, 09:48 AM
Not Garmin, but i have been very very happy with the Zoleo, but it is paired with a smartphone. Same network as Garmin so you get the same coverage etc.

264mag
10-15-2020, 07:22 PM
Curious what the real life reviews are on the 66i, I have an explorer plus and the battery life is amazing. I have read the 66i battery life is less.
Any reviews from HBCers on the 66i?
thanks to all!

Wentrot
10-15-2020, 08:20 PM
Curious what the real life reviews are on the 66i, I have an explorer plus and the battery life is amazing. I have read the 66i battery life is less.
Any reviews from HBCers on the 66i?
thanks to all!

love mine. Definitely use more battery on it compared to the explorer + but probably because I am messing around with the 66i far more than I did with the explorer.

Huntingtyler123
10-15-2020, 08:30 PM
Love the mini!

264mag
10-15-2020, 08:47 PM
love mine. Definitely use more battery on it compared to the explorer + but probably because I am messing around with the 66i far more than I did with the explorer.

Do you have the backroads chip in it? If so how do you like the functionality with it?

hntcrazy
10-15-2020, 09:42 PM
Mini ....... sat phones suck ......................:mad:

Ghilliesuit
10-15-2020, 11:13 PM
I'm a senior too, use my EXPLORER+ all the time for fishing, hiking, scouting, hunting etc. The software engineers should get out in the field more often and it shows. The simple inputs aren't intuitive, I don't use some features but "waypoints" gets me right to the game cams. I can't wait for EXPLORER2.1+.

Wentrot
10-16-2020, 05:39 AM
Do you have the backroads chip in it? If so how do you like the functionality with it?

Yes I do. It works incredibly well. I haven’t had it for a long time but so far I have no complaints. It’s worth the price.

Ron.C
10-16-2020, 06:21 AM
I just finished my first season with the mini. Loved it. I don't use a GPS very often but when I do I use my stand alone. If you use a GPS quite a bit it would be better to go with another model.

Regardless of which unit you choose, read the user manual and that in itself will alleviate most issues.

ian745
10-16-2020, 08:10 AM
I have an In reach mini, it took a few days of playing with it at home on its own and using it with my iPhone but I like it, its super small, I clip it to my belt when I’m out on my own, connects in way more places then my spot ever did

survsteve
10-16-2020, 02:55 PM
Mini, gets a full day of hunting with 10min tracking on.

The Hermit
10-16-2020, 05:30 PM
I just finished my first season with the mini. Loved it. I don't use a GPS very often but when I do I use my stand alone. If you use a GPS quite a bit it would be better to go with another model.

Regardless of which unit you choose, read the user manual and that in itself will alleviate most issues.

In most businesses your advise boils down to RTFM ! ;-)

Two of the guys in camp had the mini this year and seemed to be fussing with it a lot... something about getting it to send messages to one another's units I think. They both said after learning how and getting everything set up it was great. They are VERY small and I like that for sure. I always carry my cell phone anyway for the camera so the mini seems like the way to go. Might be a Christmas present for my wife! :-)

Shermanator
10-16-2020, 06:24 PM
I went with the Mini as I already have my old tried and true Garmin Rino for GPS. I use the Mini 99% for safety reasons, I don't have the patience for texting at the best of times but, the capability is there. The pre set messages are all I use to let the family know its all good. The Earthmate mapping is a great app to use with the Mini and your cellphone if you so choose. While some think the Mini is overpriced, its pretty cheap insurance in my opinion...

Sitkaspruce
10-16-2020, 07:50 PM
Older DeLorme SE and smartphone linked by the Garmin Connect. Set up some presets like deer/moose/elk down, going to be late, everything OK or on the way home and you don't need to type much of anything. Add in everyone's cell numbers (if hunting in the transition zone of coverage and no coverage due to terrain etc.) and when you get something down that needs strong backs and week minds, send a preset and wait as they get the message and the location.

Much better than my old SPOT, which in it's defense, worked every time I needed it.

Cheers

SS

todbartell
10-17-2020, 08:59 AM
my 66i with backroads maps and satellite imagery is unreal awesome. Great battery life too, on expedition mode I will get about 60 hours of use before its around 25% battery remaining. Easy to charge via micro USB in the truck or via Dark Energy Poseidon charger

Wentrot
10-17-2020, 10:51 AM
my 66i with backroads maps and satellite imagery is unreal awesome. Great battery life too, on expedition mode I will get about 60 hours of use before its around 25% battery remaining. Easy to charge via micro USB in the truck or via Dark Energy Poseidon charger

I didn’t know about this expedition mode. Thanks!

todbartell
10-17-2020, 12:02 PM
It really extends battery life. If you don't touch a button on the 66i for a minute or so, it will start counting down for 30 seconds then go into Exp.mode if you don't cancel it. Screen goes blank but it still tracks you. Push the power button down for a second and it will wake up to regular mode within a few seconds

Wentrot
10-17-2020, 12:52 PM
It really extends battery life. If you don't touch a button on the 66i for a minute or so, it will start counting down for 30 seconds then go into Exp.mode if you don't cancel it. Screen goes blank but it still tracks you. Push the power button down for a second and it will wake up to regular mode within a few seconds

that was likely my battery issue, I couldn’t figure out how to get the screen to shut off.