PDA

View Full Version : Grizz attack in Pemberton

blackford
09-11-2020, 11:00 PM
Anyone know anyone up there who is hunting. Apparently a 36 year old. Not sure if it’s a hunter. Stay safe

https://globalnews.ca/news/7330857/bc-grizzly-bear-attack-pemberton/ (https://globalnews.ca/news/7330857/bc-grizzly-bear-attack-pemberton/)

markathome
09-12-2020, 07:27 AM
Happened up in headwaters of North Creek - the trail just got re-brushed and re-set last summer and this summer. It was barely there in 2018 (took me and my partner over 12 hours to cover 7km brutal alder and devil's club, our feet didn't touch actual dirt for what felt like kilometers). Really nothing back there besides grizzlies. LOTS of grizzlies.

jamfarm
09-12-2020, 08:07 AM
Isn't the gate on the Pemberton valley road past the Hurley turnoff locked?

Friday_30-06
09-12-2020, 10:34 AM
It was my hunting party that was attacked. We were 450 meters from the North Creek cabin on a mountain goat hunt when it happened. We were flown out by search and rescue and my hunting partner is going to be okay. He got cut up pretty good but nothing some stitches cant fix.

If anyone is ever considering buying a Garmin InReach I cant recommend it enough! This was my first ever message sent from it, other than test messages at home, and it just may have saved his life. I will never go anywhere without that piece of kit again. Worth every penny I paid! The best part about the InReach was communicating back and forth with Search and Rescue. Knowing they were on their way was a huge comfort and for them to know the severity of the situation was also invaluable.

Downtown
09-12-2020, 10:56 AM
I find this very unusual and would like to hear the full Story what lead up to the Attack.

Back in the day when we still had GOS on Grizzly Bears, we regularly run off Mountain Grizzly Bears which hat claimed a Moose which was shot the evening before and to late to bring Pack Horses or Backpacks up to recover. We found 2 Guides together with a Dog (German Hunting Terrier) or 3 without Guides walking in from above the Kill site making lots of noise could run off any Grizzly so we could recover the Moose.
This all stopped when Grizzly went on LEH (quota) and I was told by F&W Staff, by doing this we would endanger the Grizzly, possible have to shoot him if he charged and that would create problems for us, so we quit doing it and consequently some Clients lost there Meat to Grizzlies.

Cheers

Beachcomber
09-12-2020, 11:01 AM
It was my hunting party that was attacked. We were 450 meters from the North Creek cabin on a mountain goat hunt when it happened. We were flown out by search and rescue and my hunting partner is going to be okay. He got cut up pretty good but nothing some stitches cant fix.

If anyone is ever considering buying a Garmin InReach I cant recommend it enough! This was my first ever message sent from it, other than test messages at home, and it just may have saved his life. I will never go anywhere without that piece of kit again. Worth every penny I paid! The best part about the InReach was communicating back and forth with Search and Rescue. Knowing they were on their way was a huge comfort and for them to know the severity of the situation was also invaluable.

Glad to hear your hunting partner is going to be ok. Also good props to the Garmin! Lots of comments on how great the unit is on here but I think yours is the first firsthand account I have read where it made such a crucial difference. Noted.

bruce44
09-12-2020, 11:40 AM

If anyone is ever considering buying a Garmin InReach I cant recommend it enough! This was my first ever message sent from it, other than test messages at home, and it just may have saved his life. I will never go anywhere without that piece of kit again. Worth every penny I paid! The best part about the InReach was communicating back and forth with Search and Rescue. Knowing they were on their way was a huge comfort and for them to know the severity of the situation was also invaluable. We’re you unable to shoot the grizzly for self defence? I surprised that 3 hunters and no report that the grizzly was wounded.

Friday_30-06
09-12-2020, 12:36 PM
The story was that we were about 800 meters from the cabin after a 9 hour death hike in (heavily overgrown trail). My buddy went into beast mode just wanting to get to the cabin. He said he would power ahead, open up the cabin, get water and have it all ready for us for when me and my brother inlaw got there hopefully only 10 or 15 minutes behind him.

So he took off and about 20 minutes later we heard yelling as we came up the trail. Buddy had ran to the creek after being attacked. His rifle was securely fastened to his bag so he was unable to shoot. Once we got up to him the bear was already gone, we never did see it.

He said that he had gone around a corner and she was right there, maybe 5 yards away. The attack happened instantly. He got away from the bear by punching it in the nose and then again right in its mouth. He must have a hell of a punch.

We did first aid, made the SOS call then got him the 450 yards to the cabin where we conducted more first aid and corresponded with Search and Rescue.

Hats off to all of the team that came to our aid yesterday. They were there so quickly and all did an amazing job to make sure we were safe and comfortable after the fact.

Downtown
09-12-2020, 12:55 PM
Yep that suck,s but this scenario is more common then a lot of people can imagine.

You said She, so obviously She had Cubs.
I hope this is a lesson to others. Never never disable your Gun when in Grizzly Country.

Cheers

bruce44
09-12-2020, 01:19 PM
The story was that we were about 800 meters from the cabin after a 9 hour death hike in (heavily overgrown trail). My buddy went into beast mode just wanting to get to the cabin. He said he would power ahead, open up the cabin, get water and have it all ready for us for when me and my brother inlaw got there hopefully only 10 or 15 minutes behind him.

So he took off and about 20 minutes later we heard yelling as we came up the trail. Buddy had ran to the creek after being attacked. His rifle was securely fastened to his bag so he was unable to shoot. Once we got up to him the bear was already gone, we never did see it.

He said that he had gone around a corner and she was right there, maybe 5 yards away. The attack happened instantly. He got away from the bear by punching it in the nose and then again right in its mouth. He must have a hell of a punch.

We did first aid, made the SOS call then got him the 450 yards to the cabin where we conducted more first aid and corresponded with Search and Rescue.

Hats off to all of the team that came to our aid yesterday. They were there so quickly and all did an amazing job to make sure we were safe and comfortable after the fact.wow that’s my worst fear hunting. Glad he’s okay.

Bustercluck
09-12-2020, 01:24 PM
That’s quite the story to share. I’m glad you guys all made it out.

I do the same thing quite often. Put my rifle down to go and get water or take a poop. I probably won’t anymore.

mpotzold
09-12-2020, 01:26 PM
Update
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/grizzly-bear-swipes-paw-at-hunter-near-pemberton-and-sends-him-hospital-1.5102350

Was not that far from the same rugged area in the late 60’s & early 70’s hiking & exploring the high country. My good SFU friend’s Swiss dad had a small ranch in the Pemberton valley.
We had no problems with bears & the only ones we saw were black.
Always carried a 308 norma mag for protection.

Bugle M In
09-12-2020, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the details and glad your friend is going to be okay.
Great advice about the InReach!

And yes, heavy dense trails can be a touchy scenario.
I hunt an older cut block, that when it was low and could glass everything, i saw plenty of Grizzly in it over the years.
When i walk it now, i carry rifle with finger on the safety.
They aint around every corner or hiding behind every tree, but they are there at times, so just be wary folks.

Take Care and wish your partner a speedy recovery!

andrew5
09-12-2020, 02:13 PM
I totally agree.

I'm still relatively new to hunting and you can't buy everything at once, so I have yet to purchase one. I don't have any local hunting partners, so 90% of my hunts are solo and backcountry.

this is making me think i should stop being cheap and get one sooner rather than later.

Glad to hear your hunting partner is going to be ok. Also good props to the Garmin! Lots of comments on how great the unit is on here but I think yours is the first firsthand account I have read where it made such a crucial difference. Noted.

Downtown
09-12-2020, 02:16 PM
People need to understand, High Country that is just out of Timberline and above 4500 elevation is the poorest Country for finding Food for a Grizzly. That is certainly not prime habitat where the really Big Bears are. Big Male Grizzly given a chance will kill Grizzly Bear Cubs that is exactly why especially younger Grizzly Bear Sows will take them up into the high country away from the Cub killing Big Boars.
Hiking on a Trail is usually a fairly noisy affair. If a Grizzly can hear you he usually be long gone before you would get a Glimpse of him.
But in the open, in high Grass/Lupine and such and near Creeks because the noise of the Water can muffle your sound and presence be especially alert.
And never never Run, stand your Ground Round in the Chamber safety off and hold your Fire till he is almost on top of you. Grizzly's have poor nerves and most all-ways abandon there charge.

Cheers

Overlander2018
09-12-2020, 02:28 PM
I am glad your friend is doing ok. I know most hunters wouldn't take advantage of it, but this is why handgun wilderness carry permits should be issued by CFO's for anyone with a RPAL and hunting license.

Redthies
09-12-2020, 07:31 PM
I am glad your friend is doing ok. I know most hunters wouldn't take advantage of it, but this is why handgun wilderness carry permits should be issued by CFO's for anyone with a RPAL and hunting license.

I agree 100%. It’s also the reason I NEVER strap my rifle to my pack.

bruce44
09-12-2020, 07:53 PM
I really just don’t get it. If trappers and surveyors can carry pistols in the woods, why can’t hunters? It’s like saying our lives aren’t worth defending. I dont have an rpal, but would get one if I could carry in the woods.

338win mag
09-12-2020, 08:19 PM
Glad everyone is ok, quite the experience.

mpotzold
09-12-2020, 09:17 PM
I really just don’t get it. If trappers and surveyors can carry pistols in the woods, why can’t hunters? It’s like saying our lives aren’t worth defending. I dont have an rpal, but would get one if I could carry in the woods.

Agree!
A properly loaded handgun should be made available to all hunters especially the bow hunters for protection. Never mind that leftist garbage about the efficacy of bear spray.
It won't work on a predatory & determined bear. PERIOD!
I'm a BCLS & a CLS so have permission to carry a handgun when in the wilderness surveying.
Bought a revolver in 1965 for bear protection when surveying.
Had a lot of bear encounters but never had to use the pistol.

A survey party chief working around the same time(60's) & area (Hudson Hope) had to shoot a charging grizz while he was taking a drink from a small stream.
It took a few shots from a 44 mag to kill the grizz. The surveyor wasn't touched.

mpotzold
09-12-2020, 09:38 PM

Agree!
A properly loaded handgun should be made available to all hunters especially the bow hunters for protection. Never mind that leftist garbage about the efficacy of bear spray.
It won't work on a predatory & determined bear. PERIOD!
I'm a BCLS & a CLS so have permission to carry a handgun when in the wilderness surveying.
Bought a revolver in 1965 for bear protection when surveying.
Had a lot of bear encounters but never had to use the pistol.

A survey party chief working around the same time(60's) & area (Hudson Hope) had to shoot a charging grizz while he was taking a drink from a small stream.
It took a few shots from a 44 mag to kill the grizz. The surveyor wasn't touched.

Treed
09-12-2020, 09:44 PM
I’m glad your friend is going to be okay, and thanks for the reminder to always bring an InReach. I had several run-ins with grizzly this summer at work. Even had one roaring at me and a bear bio. Anyone know how to get a carry permit and what the restrictions are?

firebird
09-13-2020, 06:14 AM
I’m glad your friend is going to be okay, and thanks for the reminder to always bring an InReach. I had several run-ins with grizzly this summer at work. Even had one roaring at me and a bear bio. Anyone know how to get a carry permit and what the restrictions are?

I have a ATC As a pilot, I carry a smith 629 in the plane and then on me when I’m out in the bush.

You have to take the course and pass, then get approved. For 1 handgun and for a specific area (district) to carry it.

RCmP wants to know why you want a handgun, for bear defence and a potential crash/survival situation.

AND why a long gun won’t be sufficient!!!!

so Hunters arnt on the list because if you are already hunting with a rifle you won’t “need” a handgun according to RCmP

edit- they want copies of my log book showing flight hours and where, also talked to my employer, and I had to pass the shooting portion of the course with the 44 shooting a playing card sized target representing a bears brain head on

Treed
09-13-2020, 06:40 AM
Thanks for information. I work in the bush for several months a year, generally in areas with high grizzly populations. I always figured getting and then dealing with the permit restrictions would be a pain. Looks like that’s the case.

firebird
09-13-2020, 06:50 AM
Thanks for information. I work in the bush for several months a year, generally in areas with high grizzly populations. I always figured getting and then dealing with the permit restrictions would be a pain. Looks like that’s the case.

its not a huge deal to get and keep if you really want it.

Others might know but there seems to be a lot of grey areas for me is such as when I’m in town at the dock or in the office, I leave the gun in the plane or locked in the office, you can carry open or concealed and technically I’m still working in my approved district and could have the handgun on me in public in those cases.

You are also supposed to declare it to a peace officer if approached. Have never had that situation but I wonder how that’d go down. With a CO or cop who knows his stuff probably not an issue.

robbiej793
09-13-2020, 09:50 AM
Wow glad everyone is ok ! I just had my second hunting trip up there I was definitely sketched out about bears. Had one finger on the safety in all thick brush !