PDA

View Full Version : My son turned 10 today! CORE time

Sharpish
09-08-2020, 10:42 AM
My son turns 10 years old today, so first things first, time to get him his CORE. I did the online demo and his attention span for computer learning isn't the greatest, however, he's a strong reader. What do you guys recommend? In class lessons don't seem to be a thing anymore, should I just buy the textbook and work on it with him in the evenings? Or go the online route?

Downtown
09-08-2020, 11:40 AM
Go with the Textbook. Much quicker to open up and go back and fro. Make sessions short and interesting and be sure he comes out of every session with a smile.

Happy Birthday

Cheers

Trapper
09-08-2020, 12:10 PM
make sure you buy the latest core book it now has questions on FN, and then he can challenge the test .. 1 test is written test the other is a practical

kelowna.jordan
09-08-2020, 01:09 PM
What is the turnaround from completing the course to being about to buy tags? My boy just turned 8 at the end of August (I know he has to be 10 to be considered a youth hunter), but I'd love for him to do the course as soon as he turns 10 and get him out for youth season days later. If it's possible of course

Sharpish
09-08-2020, 01:17 PM
I don't think a few days will do it, you have to challenge the test, wait for results, wait for the confirmation and then send it to the BCWF to get your FWID, which is mailed. My wife did it a couple years ago and it took a few weeks.

kelowna.jordan
09-08-2020, 01:25 PM
Dammit. Ok, thanks for the reply

tyreguy
09-08-2020, 01:40 PM
I did it this summer for my son and you can pay extra for expedited return delivery which you can get a turnaround in less than a week.
You then go online and can get your FWID and then you can purchase tags.

We purchased the book from BCWF and then challenged the test when he was good to go.

kelowna.jordan
09-08-2020, 02:14 PM
Nice!!! Thanks for that info!

StuBrown
09-08-2020, 04:05 PM
My kids all have their core. It only took a few days to get their hunter numbers by paying the extra for express post. They took the test on the weekend, had it marked, given the paperwork. On Monday we sent it off and had it back by Friday.

MRP
09-08-2020, 04:20 PM
I believe you can take it a little before 10. Then finish the paperwork at 10.

Trapper
09-08-2020, 06:57 PM
I believe you can take it a little before 10. Then finish the paperwork at 10.
100% correct you can take the test just before your ten then mail in paper work on there birthday

Sharpish
09-08-2020, 07:37 PM
Thanks for clarifying, didn’t mean to give you misinformation Kelowna Jordan.

HarryToolips
09-08-2020, 09:21 PM
Go with the Textbook. Much quicker to open up and go back and fro. Make sessions short and interesting and be sure he comes out of every session with a smile.

Happy Birthday

Cheers
I agree, and tell him happy birthday from everybody on HBC...

Sharpish
09-08-2020, 10:09 PM
I agree, and tell him happy birthday from everybody on HBC...

Will do! I bought the textbook online, it’s being delivered tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Sharpish
09-23-2020, 06:19 PM
So he passed the course and we sent the results to BCWF. We got his certificate back in the mail today. My question is what next? Does he set up his own BCEID? Can I do it under mine? He has no ID except a passport (which I can’t find) so what kind of paperwork do I need to bring into service BC other than the CORE certificate. I would prefer to do it all online if possible.

bcsteve
09-23-2020, 07:20 PM
So he passed the course and we sent the results to BCWF. We got his certificate back in the mail today. My question is what next? Does he set up his own BCEID? Can I do it under mine? He has no ID except a passport (which I can’t find) so what kind of paperwork do I need to bring into service BC other than the CORE certificate. I would prefer to do it all online if possible.
Just did my daughters this spring. I sent a scan of her Health Card and Passport.

Sharpish
09-23-2020, 08:34 PM
Just did my daughters this spring. I sent a scan of her Health Card and Passport.

Did you create a new BCEID account for her and do it that way? I’m not sure how I would buy him a license online. Would I do it under my existing online hunting account or do it under his own BCEID account using my visa to pay?

eatram
09-23-2020, 09:34 PM
Go to cabelas. Online didn’t work for my 10 year old. He can’t buy his own tags without a legal guardian there and online guardian isn’t good enough. We got our tags in 10 minutes

albravo2
09-23-2020, 09:39 PM
Happy Birthday! Good luck on the CORE.

My eldest son passed by the skin of his teeth after challenging the exam. Good hunter now though, and excellent with gun safety.

bcsteve
09-24-2020, 12:10 AM
Did you create a new BCEID account for her and do it that way? I’m not sure how I would buy him a license online. Would I do it under my existing online hunting account or do it under his own BCEID account using my visa to pay?
Yes, I created a BCEID in her name but since he’s a minor it’s linked to yours. To buy her licence and tags I go into my account and go into “buy licence” and it asks you if it’s for you or a minor (or something like that).

Sharpish
09-24-2020, 08:07 AM
Yes, I created a BCEID in her name but since he’s a minor it’s linked to yours. To buy her licence and tags I go into my account and go into “buy licence” and it asks you if it’s for you or a minor (or something like that).

awesomw thank you very much. That makes sense now.

Sharpish
09-24-2020, 02:45 PM
Took me an hour at Service BC (what a gong show that place is) but he's all set, he's got his own FWID! Thanks for all the advice. cheers