PDA

View Full Version : Any bow hunters finding elk yet?

KBC
09-05-2020, 07:54 AM
I’m in 4-8, same place I was last year. Last year I got in pretty deep and found a bunch of sign and managed to call one in but he was silent and I didn’t know until it was too late and he didn’t quite get into bow range. This year I hit the same spot and no sign at all. Not hearing anything yet (probably has something to do with the lack of sign haha) so I’m going to hike to another spot.

Hopefully it cools down a bit and they start talking. The moonlight is pretty bright at night so that might make it a little harder too but I don’t have to be home until the 10th so we’ll see what happens.

Anyone hearing anything or having success?

Good luck!

Redthies
09-05-2020, 08:29 AM
Someone in a friends group got one near Creston. Don’t know the details yet.

dapesche
09-05-2020, 10:47 AM
Yes. One came in silent to calling and raking. The other screamed at his cows as he ran away. Wind was horrible so couldn't chase.

Will try again tomorrow.

Jagermeister
09-05-2020, 10:56 AM
Have anyone thought about using a blind and a stink bucket?

KBC
09-05-2020, 11:51 AM
Well shit. Just about to the top of a crappy climb and stop to have lunch to find out my bugle tube fell off my pack. Without a trail I don’t know if it’s worth trying to go back and find it. Hopefully my cow call game is good.

oddsix
09-05-2020, 12:20 PM
Are they talking up north?

dapesche
09-05-2020, 12:29 PM
Well shit. Just about to the top of a crappy climb and stop to have lunch to find out my bugle tube fell off my pack. Without a trail I don’t know if it’s worth trying to go back and find it. Hopefully my cow call game is good.

Shit. Raw deal. Cup the hands and let Er rip ��

KBC
09-05-2020, 07:04 PM
Haha yeah. Since Tomorrow is Sunday and Monday is a holiday I don’t have much hope running into civilization and finding a new tube. I cut the bottom off a Gatorade bottle and it sounds ok I guess. If anyone has an extra close to Salmo let me know hahaha. Man, I carry extras of a bunch of junk but it’s a good lesson about a bugle tube.

HarryToolips
09-05-2020, 09:35 PM
If you use the mouth reed then try without a tube...can't get the low echoey growl as good but the high pitch usually ain't too far off....

Mikey Rafiki
09-06-2020, 08:19 AM
Tons of bulls bugling where we are. Action every hunt so far. Got one spike bull hanging and hoping to get a big boy but they are being quite crafty and staying in the thick stuff when they come into bow range.

dapesche
09-06-2020, 10:12 AM
Spike came in silent. Full draw but set up was horrible.
10yds away. ��

KBC
09-06-2020, 02:05 PM
Man you guys are having more luck than me. I’m trying to decide if I should head back to the spot I was a few days ago and loop around the other side of the mountain or head to another location all together. It’s pretty sketchy getting the atv in and out, last year I put it on its side coming down and this year even though I was more careful by getting off and walking it down, I still almost dumped it again. Tough call when your solo with a family at home. It’s not a spot I think I can pack an elk out on foot without risking the meat in this heat either.

KBC
09-06-2020, 02:07 PM
Hopefully there’s a few more success stories to come!

nelsonob1
09-06-2020, 02:27 PM
We are hunting in 408 and all silent. Too much heat and moon.

jimzuk
09-06-2020, 08:25 PM
Yeah just got back. No luck for me. Full moon and stinking hot is a bad combo

Stone Sheep Steve
09-06-2020, 08:31 PM
In the West Kootenays...heard a bugle at 3:45am. Heat is gross...but now at least finding a few tracks.

Beats working

SSS

Ron.C
09-06-2020, 09:08 PM
I know of one camp with a 6x6 down and another very good opportunity. Keep at it boys. Looking forward to the stories.

KBC
09-06-2020, 09:15 PM
It is better than working. It’s supposed to get cooler tomorrow so hopefully it brings more opportunities.

dapesche
09-07-2020, 07:52 AM
Pretty powerful storm came ripping through Nelson area this morning. Bunch of trees down, the local campsite has people running and the roads are backed up right now. Hopefully everybody in the bush is okay.

KBC
09-07-2020, 09:20 AM
I had to take my tent down since it almost blew away haha. I decided the tough trail would be too greasy to get up after that storm so I’m headed to another spot in reg 8 for the last few days of bow season. I wish I new this area better but I think it’s best to hunt a spot you know with so little time left instead of trying to find a new spot.

allan
09-07-2020, 09:59 AM
Tons of elk sign, lost track of how many wallows and rubs I’ve seen. But not a peep from them. Last year we had a bull Down opening morning. This year was nothing !

Stone Sheep Steve
09-07-2020, 04:10 PM
I had to take my tent down since it almost blew away haha. I decided the tough trail would be too greasy to get up after that storm so I’m headed to another spot in reg 8 for the last few days of bow season. I wish I new this area better but I think it’s best to hunt a spot you know with so little time left instead of trying to find a new spot.

I hiked from camp this am while fiancé decided to try to sleep in.
Wind ripped up and blew trees down right behind me.
Turned on phone and got text from camp.
Insane wind destroyed our RV aluminum railing.
Even blew over our propane fire pit

all safe though.

SSS

rocksteady
09-07-2020, 04:37 PM
Couple of buddies, in the same camp got a 5 on the 2nd and a spike yesterday

ElliotMoose
09-08-2020, 08:06 PM
Missed a shot at a spike last night that I have on my cams. Sensitive subject today. 36 yds but straight downhill. Over his back. -4 this morning on the mountain figured they’d be screaming but not a peep

dapesche
09-09-2020, 09:37 AM
Silent today.

Damn cold morning. Yesterday was too. No fresh movement. Have to be up high...?!

Jrax
09-09-2020, 10:36 AM
Most bulls were mid mountain and up. Only 1 bull was screaming and pushing cows on sept 1 mid mountain, other then that bulls were on top of mountain feeding all night long. Most bulges were low temperature and elk were not coming in so it was more locating and letting them do the talking and we do the stalking.

came close several times

right after this heat wave and with new moon coming its going to get going!

Ron.C
09-09-2020, 12:58 PM
right after this heat wave and with new moon coming its going to get going!

Lets hope so. Heading to the EK's this weekend.. looks like a drop to more historical temps and maybe a bit of precipitation next week. Good news.

Anyhow, keep at it bowhunters, my last EK archery elk was on 9 Sept last light on a hot high 20's day. Had all but given up hope for that season and it happened at the last minute.

KBC
09-10-2020, 08:57 AM
Well good job to those of you that had success. It’s been a long week without much luck and I’m headed home without any meat. Now to start planning the October hunting trip!

Pinewood
09-10-2020, 06:04 PM
It was way better than working! Did you hear many bugles?

KBC
09-11-2020, 07:41 AM
I didn’t hear anything but a few cow chirps unfortunately.

Brent376
09-12-2020, 06:46 PM
Not a lot happening in 8-05 so far. Too wRm and dry I'm thinking