PDA

View Full Version : Granby Hunt

Four Point
10-18-2007, 09:02 PM
My son and I headed off to our annual Granby trip. We had worked 3 days into our busy schedules for some father and son time. We got all types of weather. Saw plenty of game; 34 deer, 5 moose, 1 bobcat. Hiked many a mile along the ridges and in the valleys. The great thing about two ATVs is you leave one at the bottom, take one to the top, hunt your way down.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC00065.JPG

This little lake every year produces some nice trout, just casting from shore with a panther martin (yellow with black dots). No moose there this year, but lots of sign. On the second day of our hunt we were cruising back to get one of the bikes, my camo one, couldn't find it! Dang camo works too good! When my son found it we decided to have lunch. After a good snooze we were glassing the ridges and spotted a couple of deer. We could see that one was a two-point and the other a spike. Decision time. This valley has never skunked us before so we decided to plan a stalk. We got within 180 yds. and decided to take a shot.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC00047.JPG

As you can see it is a beautiful fat little two-point. One of the moose that we saw was a spike fork bull but we decided against it because we're still eating moose meat from last year. This little two point will fit in the freezer perfectly. After getting back to camp I decided to walk the creeks and ran into 6 whitetail does that evening. We had a whitetail doe tag but decided against shooting one. As I was working my way back to camp I spotted another deer. This one had horns - counted 5 on one side but that's all I saw. It is so thick in that timber. I saw him a total of 3 times over a 1/2 hr period but he presented no shot. The most I had was about 4 inches of his rear quarters at one time, or just plug it through the bush. So in other words he is still alive. But sure got the juices flowing. So close. Great trip. Thanks son. Straight shootin' everybody.

WoodOx
10-18-2007, 11:09 PM
nice trip!
Gorgeous country - looks very familiar :D

thanks for the pics

StoneChaser
10-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Great little buck...must be nice having your son as a hunting partner too!

steepNdeep
10-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Right on - sounds like a great hunt! Looks like some nice country. Whiteys can be fun in the thick stuff - they can run you in circles all day long. I can't wait for my son to call me to go hunting...

When and how high was that snow at? Did it melt off at all? I'm planning to head up for muleys next week and got snowed out last year...

WoodOx
10-19-2007, 09:10 AM
I was in granby last weekend and snows in the alpine only. Doubt it will melt this year either.

BCJunior
10-19-2007, 11:00 AM
hey congratz and nice looking area, hope ya had fun .

Will
10-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Looks like time well spent ! :cool:
Congrats !

Th0r
10-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Nice lookin area. Congrats. Thanks for sharing:smile:

Sharkey
10-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Great photos - I really respect your decision about turning down the spike-bull moose.
~D

kennyg826
10-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Nice story and pics. Love seeing the father and son duo. Congrats.