PDA

View Full Version : Baofeng uv82 radios

chris
09-03-2020, 02:59 PM
I bought myself a cheap baofeng uv 82 radio thinking that I could program some channels in to listen for logging trucks. Boy was I ever wrong. I spent a pile of time trying to figure it out but the instructions are awful. Has anyone else had much luck with programming frequencies into them? If anyone can give me some pointers I could really use them right now. I just ordered a cable to connect it to the computer because I'm hopeful that will be simple.

Model 70
09-03-2020, 03:14 PM
I'm a computer dummy. I used CHIRP to program my 5Rs ( RR channels, LADD channels, plus some locals), and it was relatively simple.

fozzy
09-03-2020, 03:58 PM
X2, use the program Chirp, its just like a spreadsheet. It took me a bit to get it to work and then i noticed a drop down menu item I had missed.

brn2ryd
09-03-2020, 04:18 PM
X3 You can get a special USB cable from amazon to connect the radio to your computer. using the program makes it simple.

Dash
09-03-2020, 05:22 PM
All I do is keep a screenshot with the common frequencies on my phone and when I see what road number it is (i.e RR27) I change to frequency mode and type in the corresponding frequency number from the chart. I've been lazy and haven't bothered to program anything or figure anything else out but this has worked great for me so far.

https://i.imgur.com/POyyXPJ.jpg

Pioneerman
09-03-2020, 07:37 PM
The 82 are harder and more complicated to program, but I do mine no prob after a lot of trial and error, but pre load a ton of channels with Chirp then can still add manually when on the road

r106
09-03-2020, 08:45 PM
I used chirp for mine as well

Seth
09-03-2020, 09:53 PM
I use chirp. It’s incredibly easy to use.

adriaticum
09-03-2020, 09:58 PM
Programming channels is unnecessary.
Get a list, like Dash provided for the area and use the frequency mode to punch in the frequency.

https://www.google.com/search?q=baofeng+uv-82+programming+channels&rlz=1C1GCEU_enCA850CA850&oq=baofeng+uv-82+programming+channels&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.7770j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_G8lRX-PqJ4Hu-gSq0bSYCw28

WaterFowlin
09-03-2020, 10:24 PM
To beat the horse completely dead. Get chirp. There is tons of videos on the tube. Easy peazey.

save the file and you can do your buddies radios too.

untill you get that figured. By all means use others advice by staying in frequency mode and manually typing in frequencies.

chris
09-04-2020, 05:50 AM
Wow thanks for all the quick replies. I will try the chirp program.

Redthies
09-04-2020, 09:05 AM
Can you use Chirp with an iPad or does it require a PC? I’ve been using the manual entry method like Dash and honestly it’s probably just as fast as scrolling through them all. Can you enter a channel name with Chirp? Like “RR12” as well as it’s freq?

Pioneerman
09-04-2020, 10:34 AM
It is an open source program and says it is compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux. IT is free down load it and try

Can you use Chirp with an iPad or does it require a PC? I’ve been using the manual entry method like Dash and honestly it’s probably just as fast as scrolling through them all. Can you enter a channel name with Chirp? Like “RR12” as well as it’s freq?

Bugle M In
09-04-2020, 11:48 AM
Yup, CHIRP.

However, I used it the 1st time and managed to program 2 radios.
Then needed 3 more for the guyus I hunt with, and it took me forever to program the other 3 using a file I saved from the
original.

Was about ready to throw it against the wall hours and hours later.
Finally prevailed, but, now cant remember how I did it or did differently.

That is the problem, once done, you may never do it again for years, and thus retain nothing on "how to".
At least, that is how it works for me.

fozzy
09-04-2020, 03:38 PM

When I did mine i programmed each channel according to the RR frequency, ie channel 33 is RR33 etc. As others mentioned I also printed a cheat sheet for the truck console just in case I lose programming.