PDA

View Full Version : Tatonka Lastenkraxe

Tarp Man
10-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Has anyone used one of these for packing out loads? I am thinking towards next year's packing trips, and my current frame pack is affectionately known as the "Anti-Christ"... I know several of you would recommend the Dana Design packs, but $500-600 for a setup used for two to three trips a year if I am lucky? I don't have that kind of cash.

Jonathan

Brambles
10-18-2007, 08:25 PM
I've packed out Caribou and moose with mine at loads over 150 lbs, handles the weight great, I added a couple external pockets for spotting scope and gagets. Can't go wrong with them.

Wildfoot
10-18-2007, 08:32 PM
I know several of you would recommend the Dana Design packs, but $500-600 for a setup used for two to three trips a year if I am lucky? I don't have that kind of cash.

Jonathan

you could just go out hiking more to justify the cost of buying a good pack.

lapadat
10-18-2007, 08:53 PM
I have to agree with Wildfoot on this one......I know Tarpman and he rarely gets out of his truck to look for mountain blacktails. 'cept for this brute............

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/AlpineBThuntpart2_086.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6117&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=847)

Bcbowhead
10-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Great Pack, lots of room with side bags. Pack half a elk out this year so far.

Gamebuster
10-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Tarpman..which pack you wearin in the photo?

happygilmore
10-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Has anyone ever tried "eberlestock" packs? I found them on e-bay and they look real good. a bit expencive for their larger ones.

Tarp Man
10-19-2007, 03:32 PM
The one in the photo is Lapadat's I am not sure of the brand. I know he got it a Hub's in Abbotsford. It has a fleece soft finish on the bag, with decent padding on the back. Mine is an Outbound frame with a Moose Bag on it. Basic construction for the bag (one BIG main bag and two side pockets) with minimal support in the back. I added a bunch of support and cushioning, as the mesh back panels were buckling under the weight.

JMac
10-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Tarp Man, I've used Tatonka packs for 5 plus years and have packed out bears, elk, deer etc. with mine. As Brambles said if you can pack heavy heavy loads...it'll carry it no problem. I just got a new one last year because everyone was always borrowing mine...so I sold my old one. I personally know of 5 other guys that have this pack and all either sheep hunt, guide for moose and hunt year round. They abuse this pack and I have heard no complaints. The only one I have is it squeeks a bit with a heavy load on. It's not a fancy pack in terms of compartments and expandability, due to the moose bag style. The waist belt and back support is solid and comfy and rivals that of most expensive internal frame pack. The frame is one solid piece and will not bend or break on you period. Bottom line it's tough!

Krico
10-19-2007, 04:01 PM
I just picked this pack up in the spring. It felt VERY comfortable in the store with a heavy load on, came in under $300, was obviously well built and came highly recommended from a few members here (Jmac and Brambles included). Haven't put it fully to the test in the mountains as I didn't chase sheep this year, but have worn it enough with a load in to tell you I'm another satisfied customer.

kutenay
10-19-2007, 04:03 PM
I have over 40 years of serious backpacking and have owned and used many packs, at present, I own packs by the top makers such as Mystery Ranch and Kifaru plus Bullpac.

I have tried this Tatonka packboard and while it would not be my first choice compared with FAR more expensive internal frame packs, I am very impressed by it and would not hesitate to buy one.

I know of nothing in that price range nearly as good.

gearjunkierob
10-19-2007, 10:02 PM
I have to agree with Wildfoot on this one......I know Tarpman and he rarely gets out of his truck to look for mountain blacktails. 'cept for this brute............

Yup, I hear Jonathan's laziness knows no bounds...:roll: (sense sarcasm here). Lapadat tells me you are quite the "gearjunkie" yourself!

Gamebuster
10-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Tarpman...I hear ya on the outbound frames....the most uncomfortable hunks of crap I ever had the displeasure of wearing..especially when you load 'em up!

I recently tried on Cabelas Alaskan Freighter I think it was...seemed like it might be a comfy pack to load although I never tried it loaded...fairly cheap too...anyone else loaded one of these?

kutenay
10-20-2007, 04:32 AM
I have owned one Cabela's pack, in the early '90s, gave it away although it was OK. They are a "Camptrails" style frame and I have had a number of those and disliked everyone.

The major problem is that they sway slightly under load, a REAL PITA when traveling in difficult terrain and tiring anytime. I won't use another now as better alternatives exist.

I much prefer my Bullpac Alaskan or would use a Tatonka to a Cabela's.